Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

CW's Roswell, New Mexico

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
medium13

Re: CW's Roswell, New Mexico

Post by medium13 » 22 Mar 2019, 16:23

I agree with everything Magik. Michael is one of my favorites although I also like to make fun of him. His wink at Maria was so cute and I'm not sure what side of this romance triangle I will fall on. Who do I ship? I liked the roadtrip aspect of this but it seemed totally strange for all the characters to have haphazardly ended up in Texas at the same event that was in the middle of nowhere. I'm glad Max and Isabel gave into a blooming relationship, but it seemed to come a little out of left field for Liz to make such a turn on a pretty strict position she's been keeping for some time. I'm sure they are setting us up for more drama but I'm not sure my heart can take it. The kiss was stupid long but I liked it. I'm relatively happy the healer isn't a fourth alien, I'm looking forward to the introduction of the more alien aspects of the show. I have high hopes that they will be handled better than the original.

The production on this episode made me giggle a little. Max and Liz were both struggling to sleep with their lights on. Maria's song was corny but timed enough that it wasn't too off the charts. It was pretty obvious that they didn't have any music for the actors to dance to during that scene but they played it off well.

Jenna's subterfuge surprised me, pleasantly although I thought the interaction between her and Kyle were a little much. Kyle is a doctor who works well with women and his mother is the sheriff so his misogyny was an interesting bit of reoccurring dialogue that made me squirm. It didn't feel right. I was also lost about how deep Alex was into the alien information. He seemed to know more and have processed it much deeper than I gave him credit for. Of course, he has had access to all the information gathered by his father for several weeks so I guess that works.

I was also perplexed by the timeline presented by the older woman who gave Max info. How old are these characters supposed to be ? I supposed Max, Isabel and Michael weren't infants in the pods so we should add a few years to their ages, but I doubt based on the statements in the show they were much older than 6 max. I think they are trying to make the characters roughly 25 which seems...off. Maybe I'm just too old.

Noah is definitively an alien hunter or something. He barely indicated any surprise seeing Isabel in the pod. What if Noah were the fourth?

medium13

Post by medium13 » 09 Apr 2019, 14:55

Shot in the Dark

I watched this episode in two sittings pretty far apart so my memory is kind of hazy, just like Isobel who is putting her memory back together with Liz's multipurpose chemical formula. Isobel gets to shine a bit here since her absence for one or two episodes, but her statis ends up being relatively inconsequential and she's up to speed remarkably quick. She accepts that Liz and Max and moved forward in their relationship and she mends the fence with her husband and starts to be more herself. Noah enters prime suspect land for the alien body snatcher that is compelling people to act in extremes (i.e. the previous attempt to burn Liz alive and in this episode, a hospital shooter).

Through Liz's serum, Isobel is exonerated as she relives Rosa's death knowing that she wasn't in control of her body at the time, but being used as a puppet. Separately, Liz and Max are able to come to this conclusion after the research lab is burned. It's a big jump in logic, but something that was foreshadowed a few episodes ago enough that this board hypothesized Isobel's exoneration that way. The crutch being, the fourth alien needs to use a blackout to take possession of the body.

Michael, Alex, and Maria get deeper into their love triangle as Michael shares with Alex that he is trying to rebuild the spaceship. Alex deduces that Michael and Maria slept together in Texas. Maria says it wasn't a thing - which means it's a thing - and says she wouldn't have done so if she knew that Alex and Michael were knocking boots for ten years. I'm not so invested in this and I'm curious how it will play out. I loved Maria in the original and she wade Michael more human. I like Maria in this series, but I'm perplexed why the push the psychic bit with her literally indicating she can read thoughts this episode and I'm not sure I want a Michael/Maria romance at the expense of a Michael/Alex coupling. The drama is too much! No, it's not but I'd hate to see all of these characters be lovelorn when I don't really know where Michael's emotions lie - although it seems to point to Alex for me.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 11 Apr 2019, 21:12

I don't know, this show has some serious pacing issues.

The episode three weeks ago, (fake healer in Texas) in which they established the different relatonships, was really good. Two weeks ago, it was only mediocre despite once again featuring all the characters again. However there were some weird plot points: Michael has that big clunky necklace in his boot all the way from Texas to New Mexico without noticing, and suddenly takes it out right when Alex drops by? Likewise, Alex guilting his supposed friend Maria by casually letting her know that he and Michael used to be a thing was somewhat mean. If those were teenagers, I could see that scene working, but a mature person in his late twenties should see that Maria couldn't have known about it and just let it slide, especially as he still seems undecided what he wants himself. If at all, he should have taken his anger at Michael (which would have been unjust just the same) or himself. To me, a much better plot twist would have been for Alex to be concerned for Maria as there might be physical side-effects of being intimate with an alien. Noah's speedy journey from pointing a gun at the "weird egg person" right back to "I trust you" and then even kissing her, after seeing her use her powers with his own eyes was way handled way to too sudden and abrupt.

When there wasn't an epsisode last week, I didn't really miss it.... which is always a bad sign.

Well, and now this. The ball setting was nice, but they definitely tried to cramp too much into this episode and it turned into a mess. First they give us a red herring with making it look like Maria is the fourth alien… that would have been shocking a few weeks ago, before we were introduced to her mother. Here it just took up space to get us to characters realizing she too was temporarily possessed… by the only remaining potential cast member left: Noah. While this provides a reason for his erratic behaviour last episode, it was handled poorly. In the process, Isobel is once again victimized, she is portrayed as somewhat stupid here, not even realizing he manipulates her until Max more or less spells it out for her, and she also comes across as weak again when she tries to secretly read Noah's mind, gets caught and ends up mentally controlled again!
Was there any specific reason for Noah locking up Max and Michael in that basement and then not doing anything to them ? If so, I missed it. Unless the point was to give us a supposed strong visual with Liz handling the greasy chain and truck while wearing that ball gown and Max wasting precious moments to take in this image like a love-sick puppy. (all the while there's a killer on the loose, who had knocked him out and rendered him temporarily powerless)
The scene with both Isobel and Cameron made me realize that they probably should have cast those two actresses in each other's role. Personally I feel that Cameron's actress has a better connection with Max than Isobel's. There was also that brief scene where Max and Cam discussed the option of Maria being an alien, to which Max said that Liz would have known as they were best friends for years, and Cam then reminded Max that he was able to hide his own Alien status from her, his partner, for years too. I liked how she delivered that line. It was a stone-cold truth, and you could tell that she was still somewhat angry about it, yet it didn't come across as bitter or mean. Isobel's actress seems to have only two levels of meanness: on and off.
The best part about this Episode was the wardrobe: Maria, Cam, Isobel, Max and especially Noah looked incredibly hot all dressed up for the ball.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 15 Apr 2019, 17:57

I was about to write a scathing review of the episode starting with wardrobe. That dress is not for Liz. The hair and make up were off. It's a pretty dress and she looked good, but it didn't feel like it fit her character and then she just sloppily pinned her hair. We certainly got a great visual with Liz (seemingly doing it all this week by teleporting between locations) dragging a chain and freeing the boys from captivity, but otherwise...eh. Maria on the other hand looked amazing. I also liked Cam's outfit but they never seem to get her hair right. It looked a little too stiff.

I also couldn't figure out the point of locking up Max and Michael. It was a great scene for the two of them- really getting deep into their issues but in terms of what Noah's plan was, it made no sense. Plus, he should have been aware that something was amiss at the party when both of them showed up. Despite Isobel losing the mental fight with Noah, I liked that she confronted him and even though represented herself as in denial, she ultimately knew the truth. We still have a mystery as to why Isobel couldn't influence Maria, which I think was misstated this episode. She said she got violently ill after trying with Maria, but I think that happened with Liz. With Maria, she just fell on the floor like a drunk. I liked the idea of Noah making off with a puppet for a temporary basis, although I would have selected Maria or Liz or anyone other that Isobel to prevent the reoccurring theme of victimization. Or, alternatively, if Isobel hadn't been shuffled into podlife for two episodes, she could be a puppet for a few episodes here. Alas, it was not to be as Noah is taken out but will still survive to teach us some history which is exciting.

Noah is mishandled, although I again liked the camera effects for his "battle" with Isobel. Noah's actions are haphazard and don't make a ton of sense. I think pacing could have addressed his ultimate plan or goal and we may have benefited from an episode or two where either the audience is aware he's the bad guy, or the characters are aware but trying to figure it out, or both, but we kind of just get this situation where he loved Rosa, but aside from being an alien serial killer may not have any additional motivations which is boring unless you flesh out the socio/psychopath characteristics. Also, it opens a lot of questions about his relationship with Isobel.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 23 Apr 2019, 00:53

Well, in the next episode they provide some motivations for Noah, but once again, they are trying to put too much into one episode, so that a lot of the elements lose the emotional Impact they could have had.

The few things they handled well were:
- additional info about the aliens' journey to Earth and their crashlanding
- Noah's backstory with the defective pod, him spending several decades inside but fully aware
- Liz siding with Isobel against Max, realizing that her need for closure and her right to make her own choice is more important than Max wanting to carry all their burden once again
- the interactions between Michael, Alex and Kyle

Other than that, though - did they really need to put all of that in one episode? The prison plot, the discovery of there being incarcerated aliens, Kyle learning that indeed one of these aliens caused his father's brain tumor, Michael finding his mother and losing her again, the prison self-destructing…. that all could have filled an episode on its own. I get that they wanted to pressure this and run the two plots simultanously to have Max and Michael be ready to fight each other at the end of the episode, but still, they could have done one week this plot, the other week that plot with both episodes ending in that same encounter from different points of view. As it is, this was another wasted opportunity and I don't know how many times I have now been thinking "I get why they do that, but..."

On top of all that's going on, they also have one character depart and introduce Alex's brother… Then there's also some things that didn't make sense at all like where is the rest of the Prison staff? It can't just be two soldiers, one of which was fooled by Kyle pretending be a lab assistant. Also, why did they put Noah in the pod ? They could have shakled him up in the bunker, given him the antitode and rendered him powerless with the yellow poweder that he used on Max and Michael the week before. That also would have given them much more time to interrogate him.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 06 May 2019, 12:32

Well, it's been more than a week since the season finale, and nobody mentioned it....

Well, I am glad that the series was renewed for a second season, but they really need to improve, or else I won't keep watching it in the long run. The finale gets the same criticism from me as the previous episode: way too much plot points for a single episode, and as such several things fall flat as they are rushed and executed poorly. The storyline would have served way better for a season of 18 or 24 episodes, instead of the 13 we got.

IMO, they could have ended with Noah's escape, which would have been a good cliffhanger (but I guess they only had a one year contract with the actor) or possibly also they could/should have ended with the revelation of the dead Rosa being in a pod for the past decade. However, the writers once again went with the visually stronger reunion scene of Liz and Rosa, and the apparently dead Max lying by the pod. This is something I am now sick of with this show, they always choose image over story, instead of finding equally good images to support the story. As it is, this is also the lesser cliffhanger. Does anyone really believe they killed of their lead character, the so called alien savior? Not me. Yet, Rosa's fate - can she get out of the pod and if so, in what state, ... that would had have lots of uncertainties. Then again, I guess they produced the show before they knew it was renewed, so they may have deliberately gone with the ending that has less unanswered questions.

I've read somewhere online that Max got the least character growth on this show, which is true. Everyone else gained some insights or formed new relationships, but Max is still hung up on his high school crush, and he still - despite everything he talked about with Michael, Isobel and Liz - takes matters into his own hands and decides for everyone else what's best for them, whether they want it or not and without consulting them. (trying to keep Isobel from getting closure, healing Michael's hand and ressurecting Rosa)

The scene where Noah controlled Isobel again was redundant, especially in an episode that was already to crammed with other things, and the "effect" of him being able to talk stereo through his own and Isobel's mouth wasn't worth it. They could have easily used that effect last episode and saved screentime here.

One thing they did answer was my question from the week before regarding the pollen.(why not use them on Noah to keep him captive) Apparently they only work temporary and wear off. This opens other questions though: How the hell would they know that? And, once again, what did Noah hope to achieve by locking Max and Michael in the bunker with a temporary power block? The pollen being of the flower that's in Maria's necklace is a nice twist though, and it also retroactively explains why Isobel couldn't fully read her mind back in Episode 4 or 5. I just wish they would have spelled this out better, like maybe Isobel being in the cafe with Liz and Mariah and realizing herself that this is what happened back then by overhearing the talk about the flower. As it is, I barely made the connection due to the time that has passed since the first scene.

I also read online, that Maria's actress was busy filming two shows at the same time, so that might explain her reduced role. It seems the writers have more in store for her though, as she got suspicious of Michael's hand and the flower necklace seems to indicate there's more to her mother's fear of aliens than just craziness.
Last edited by Lavettye on 10 May 2019, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 10 May 2019, 14:57

I fell behind in watching, but finally got around to the final two episodes of Season 1 last night. I didn't realize the show was on Netflix already. Can you believe ?

I'd agree that this went too fast and we lost a potential fun, re-occurring villain in Noah. I really wanted to see more of the alien prison, but the scene between Michael and his mother was really heartbreaking. I found the rest of it laughable though. Why were there only two military personal on the entire top secret base with uber dangerous alien parasites imprisoned inside ? I see I am repeating a lot of the points made by Lafayette so let me consider if I have anything new to say.

I also didn't understand how Noah was able to take control of Isobel without a blackout and I felt the length of time we had to hear a young Isobel scream in terror when a man is trying to abduct her to do something terrible to her was excessive and triggering. I'm glad she was able to feel more confident in her abilities towards the end though.

Overall, meh. I'd consider watching the second season but it's not like an addictive must watch.