Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

CW's Roswell, New Mexico

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
medium13

CW's Roswell, New Mexico

Post by medium13 » 02 Feb 2019, 01:14

You guys, it's time we talked about Roswell, New Mexico. An interesting or perhaps controversial choice for a revamp, based on the WB's show "Roswell" that aired three seasons (the third and final season on UPN). While revamps, reboots, and remakes are seemingly a trend currently with many shows enjoying some amount of success, the CW's decision to reboot two shows with proven cult followings from the not too distant past is a clever but risky marketing move especially considering the actors who played the original roles are still around and kicking. Take a look at my companion thread about the CW's Charmed. Much like the CW's Charmed, Roswell, New Mexico seems invested in reworking the original source material, infusing the plot with hot political topics, and adding new spins. Roswell is only a few episodes in and for the most part, is doing a better job that Charmed this early in the race.

For those who didn't see the original, the story focuses on three alien survivors of the UFO crash landing in Roswell, New Mexico alleged to have occurred in 1947, while the "official" story is that it was a weather balloon crash. Likely story! To be honest, my recollection of the original is vague and I don't remember watching the third and final season on UPN at all. Anyway, the three survivors were undiscovered and in somewhat of a suspended animation for decades until they awake and are found wandering the desert. The three survivors are Max, Isabel, and Michael who each have a unique gift as well as shared powers. Max, the hot leader can heal injuries and bring back the dead while his twin sister, Isabel has the ability to walk through the sub-conscience mind. Michael, is the white trash alien rebel who is not adopted by the same loving parents as his alien friends, who I think had TK abilities or could blow things up. He was dangerous, I remember that. Max risks exposure to save a girl in his school that he loves, Liz, when she is shot at her alien waitress job. They are later befriended and share their secrets with other high school humans named Maria, Alex, and the sheriff's son, Kyle.

Fast forward to Roswell, New Mexico where we have similar characters who are adults with a shared history at Roswell High. Liz, the daughter of an undocumented immigrant returns to town on the anniversary of her sisters death and find the atmosphere of the town deadly, as people are still angry that her sister seemingly killed two other girls while she was on drugs. As undocumented immigrants, her father's business is targeted in a drive by shooting and Liz is killed but Max saves her life and in doing so creates a connection between them and leaving an eerie hand print on her, much like my sweaty hands do on any clean surface. He shares his secret with her, and reveals that Isabel and Michael are also aliens who survived the crash. Isabel and Michael do not trust Liz, especially because she's a scientist and she wants to study Max. What they don't know is that Liz thinks Max may be responsible for Rosa's death when she discovers that Rosa wasn't on drugs when she died and has a big hand print on her face. She weaponizes Max's feelings for her in order to uncover the mystery around Rosa's death.

It's a fun premise and I enjoy the aging of the characters. I also enjoy the addition of the murder/mystery as on ongoing plot point. LIz and Max have unbearable chemistry just like the original and all these people are obscenely attractive. Maria, possibly one of the best highlights of the original does not yet live up to her namesake and may be token hippy and potentially psychic character which is a bad idea since she was so lovably human in the original series. Michael is still trash but now he's bisexual which is nice for representation but also gives us a pretty cliche LGBT conflict because he and Alex are having a steamy romance, but Alex is an active, closeted military amputee with a villainous alien chasing father. Isabel, my favorite ice-queen in the original series is so far underused, but they seem to be laying the ground work for her codependent relationship with Max, her scheming and potential betrayal, and internal conflict with fitting in with humans, in her adult variant a doting husband while harboring a wild secret. The show has also laid the ground work for a mystery fourth alien but we will see what if anything comes of that.

Anybody watching?

Lavettye

Re: CW's Roswell, New Mexico

Post by Lavettye » 03 Feb 2019, 00:50

Yes, I'm watching, and I also did see the original series, but just like you, I didn't remember all of it. Then again, it's been almost two decades since. The original series also had an Alex who was best friends with Liz and Maria, and he had a brief fling with Isobel before he died in a car accident. The second season introduced a fourth alien named Tess (portrayed by Emilie de Ravin) and in the third, Isobel was married to a slightly older lawyer (Adam Rodriguez). All in all, the first two seasons were quite good, both in terms of the relationship troubles and the alien mysteries. Yet, as more and more was revealed about the alien aspects, especially with other alien races and even a set of clones of the four aliens cast members being introduced, the show jumped the shark, and I didn't find myself missing it after it was gone.

The best parts of the original series were the not-so-perfect relationship of Maria and Michael and the great chemistry of the cast as a whole. Of the main characters, I only disliked Kyle (briefly in the beginning) and Tess, but you weren't supposed like them. Alex as a character didn't do anything for me, in fact he got much more interesting after he was killed off, with the things he had been up to prior his death and the circumstances of the accident providing more mysteries for the overall plot.

The new series seems to be re-mixing a lot of elements from the old series, some events are outright identical (Max healing Liz after the diner shooting) and other storylines get adapted or transfered to other characters. Here, Isobel is already married, and instead of Alex mysteriously dying in a car crash later on, this is used as an event in the past having happened to Liz's sister. Instead of pairing Michael with Maria, here he is with Alex, and this opposites attract fling is currently working for me, but I worry it may soon grow old. I also fear that Maria's role as a result has been significantly decreased. Other than to Liz she has no real ties to anyone in the group. It's true that the original Maria was the best character (and best performance), so it was clear from the start that whoever came after her would hardly compare. Maybe the writers decreased the role significantly because of that. I do like the actress portraying her, though, and hope they find some way to further include her.

Unfortunately, IMO the new cast does't seem so well-balanced as the old one. The performances of the main guys (Nathan Parsons, Michael Valmais and Michael Trevino) seem to be on par with their counterparts from the original series. Jeannine Mason is slowly growing on me, but she's no Shiri Appleby and I am rather disappointed by Isobel and her husband. (Even though I was so looking forward to Karan Oberoi) So far, he comes across as rather one-dimensional and I'm having a hard time finding Isobel likeable at all.

One of the biggest let-downs, though, is - that even though the characters are supposedly in their late twenties, most of them still act like some lovesick teenagers, with long meaningful stares, secret crushes and insecurities. To make the characters come across as a bit more mature, it certainly would have helped to see them in their professional careers rather than having them just talking about their jobs. I mean Liz is a studied scintist, and yet first thing we see her waitressing in a ridiculous uniform... The only exceptions are Max and Kyle - we've seen both of them on duty, and well, also Maria in her bartender job. (but the only customer she talks to is Liz)
[PL_2.0]

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 03 Feb 2019, 02:53

I had no idea they'd remade Roswell. I really enjoyed the original, but I think it went off air after the first season here in Australia as I can't remember anything past that. I remember it had Katherine Heigel and Colin Hanks in it, and Emilee DeRavin from Lost. And the Sheriff's son was Jack on Revenge.

I vaguely remember they learned they were actually human/alien hybrids or something, and Emilee DeRavin showed up as the fourth alien/human.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 03 Feb 2019, 15:49

I had the first season of the original on boxset, so seems like unlike others I have a more clear memory of the original series, so bit harder for get into this new interpretation (never read the books but I believe Liv did have a sister that died, not too sure if aliens were involved in death though). I've only seen pilot, did seem to have potential, enough changes from original but I'm not very invested yet, may give it a couple more episodes.

I like new Charmed approach of having whole new set of characters, while the pacing is all over the place, it is lot of fun.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

medium13

Post by medium13 » 04 Feb 2019, 18:58

The original became convoluted to me, so I'm optimistic this series will stay away from the hybrid/clone identity issues and maybe try to create something more streamlined with a target in mind. This series should veer away from the original plot points and make it it's own series, to the extent that is possible, if it wants it to work. It seems like they already are planting seeds that maybe the main three weren't the only aliens to survive the crash - if I recall the pilot when Max shows Liz the pods, there was a fourth. This is a great plot point that could have any number of ramifications on the characters without copying the Tessa/Max baby drama of the original.

Lavettye, I think you make excellent points regarding needing to see the adult aspect of the characters. So far, we've only seen Max at work. I also noted that Maria just up and leaves the bar with Liz in the last episode which is totally illogical and only something that can happen on the magic of TV. There may still be hope for a Maria/Michael pairing though which may solidify her standing in the group more although I'm so far enjoying the Michael/Alex coupling.

I'm really rooting for more Isabel, and not just because she was one of my favorite characters in the original. I will point out that she wasn't likable in the original series this early, either. She was stoic, cold, and perfect. There is something about this actress that brings something a bit more raw to the part, a bit less perfection and that's refreshing. After waiting three episodes, we finally get to see her use her powers. I enjoyed the camera effect but it was a let down that we don't get to see what she can do. Does she come across weaker than Max and Michael since she can't compel Liz to leave and she vomits after? My early prediction: Max has somehow saved part of Rosa within Liz and may be mind-wiped himself.

I never realized that Jack on Revenge was the sheriff's son. Talk about hidden identities. Wikipedia also just informed me that Alex is played by the actor who played Caleb in Pretty Little Liars and I am shocked. Why am I so bad with faces ? They need to fix that immediately because I thought Caleb was hot but Alex is not. Weird.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 07 Feb 2019, 14:40

Episode 4 : Where Have All the Cowboys Gone ?
Spoilers, like a glass of cold lemonade.

We open with a flashback of Liz and Rosa readying themselves for a school dance where Rosa is suggesting Liz guard her heart with armor and inspires Liz in the present to piece together who Rosa was having issues with. Meanwhile, Max's outburst has left the power out causing distress at the hospital for a little boy and certainly many other patients. Kyle and Max have some creepy exchanges which clue Max in that Kyle is aware that he is an alien, especially after the climax of the episode when he uses his powers to restart the hospital generator, arousing the suspicion of his partner, Cam. Cam is offered a deal with the military HBIC, called Grand Master or something similar that I can't remember. He offers to help with Charley or something in exchange for access to the Sheriff's office, but I get lost and can't remember if I know a Charley or not.

On the range, Max is skipping work and the three discuss their next steps to protect themselves. Isabel convinces Max to give her permission to to enter Liz's mind, although he's unaware she did it last week without success. Isabel and Michael decide that it will be easier for Max if he doesn't know that Liz revealed in her mind that she is here for Max. Isabel goes to the bar with Michael to practice her ability, and I decide that even though I criticized her weakness in my previous posts, it also makes sense that Isabel doesn't use her powers as often as her brothers. She tries to fit in. This is till frustrating though because both Michael and Max show display powerful outbursts in heightened emotional states. Michael and Maria hate flirt at the bar and I've decided that Michael is charming white trash, and that these two have good chemistry especially in the absence of Alex. Isabel manages to get a patron (Is this Charlie?) in her mental thrall in the bar and has her order girly drinks. I can't tell if she is really drinking them and getting drunk or experiencing second hand symptoms of his intoxication. Maria apparently hates Isabel and Isabel has no idea why except for that Isabel was popular in high school and Maria was a freak. Isabel tempts Maria to read her palm and enters her mind. I loved this entire scene. Isabel is still skirting a line between being sympathetic but also a dangerous unknown quantity. 'Open your mind to me. It's my turn now." she says as the camera changes to show her abilities. We see in Maria's mind, that Rosa fled the bar when Isabel came in with bangs ten years ago. I also really liked that modern Isabel fades out of focus but remains completely still while the scene takes place. She isn't moving around in the background, as she did in the original. It's a fun visual. Isabel faints and bleeds from her nose, ending her manipulation. So again, she still comes off as the weak girl but we get some insight to her powers and overall it's still satisfying.

Liz discovers through a yearbook that a note delivered to her from Rosa's dealer and sometimes boyfriend, Fredrico matches the handwriting of the previous Sheriff Valenti. She tells Kyle but immediately retracts when she sees the hurt on his face. I didn't like this scene as much, I thought it would be more dramatic if Kyle recognizes his father's handwriting. I would recognize mine and most of the writing of my immediate family, so if indeed Liz has found "proof" of an affair, it should have been Kyle's discovery. They decide to have casual sex. Liz has great delivery of lines in this entire pre and post sex scene, her but I don't love the camera angle.

Max and Liz have a heated exchange post Kyle and Liz coitus at the Crashdown. Max figures out she told him and immediately wants to know if she told him about Isabel and Michael (I love Max). Liz comes off bad here, for me. She explains that Kyle noticed Max's hand print and she had no one to turn to and had to tell him. It was risky and a bad decision Liz! You haven't kept up with Kyle for 10 years. She's still sympathetic though because she's dealing with a lot. She's traumatized from Rosa's substance abuse and death, her father entered diabetic shock in this episode, and looks like she's stuck in Roswell playing detective/waitress when she's allegedly a brilliant bio-medical engineer so that must be painful. Max incredulously asks if she thinks he could really hurt Rosa and the obvious answer is no, but she is right that he's hiding something and by know she should have figured that out especially since he's gone to great lengths to protect his family.

Max tells Isabel and Michael that their secret is spreading and Isabel is in a state of panic. Max agrees to take the fall for the team, but Micahael says he will, since he killed the girls.

All in all, the series is finding it's feet and the human aspects and mysteries are taking a superior role to the alien drama. I'm really enjoying it. I actually missed Alex this episode, so maybe I like him more than I though, or maybe I just need to confirm that it is in fact, Caleb from PLL.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 07 Feb 2019, 20:12

Good call about the handwriting scene. Having Kyle discover it was his father's, maybe just by accidentally glancing at it, would have been better from a storytelling point. I fear that this was the writer's idea of showing that Liz is a scientist: she was doing some research.:roll:

I also liked the scenes with Maria, both her fun interaction with Michael and her open hatred for Isobel.It certainly helped get her more included in the show. Maria's psychic reading for Isobel also finally provided some characterization and sympathy for Isobel. (Her fear of getting pregnant and giving birth to an alien hybrid) Too bad though, that another character had to provide that motivation for Isobel… then again, the scene only worked due to her shocked reaction to Maria's statements, proving it to be a correct assessment.

That guy in the bar was named Hank, I think, so he's not the McGuffin (=plot device) character mentioned between the military chief and Cam. I doubt we´ll ever get to see that person, he was just mentioned to provide some reason for Cam violating work ethics.

Some other thoughts I had while watching:
- prediction for the handprint on Rosa's body: it's Max's, but he was (unsucessfully) trying to save her after the accident caused by the fourth alien

- additional prediction: somehow, Max, Michael and Isobel ended up assuming each other to have caused this accident and decided to cover it up together, not realzing there was a fourth alien around

- Isobel's powers seem too weak (or weaker than she is used to) while Max's were too strong to control over the first few episodes, maybe those two things are related ?

- from a feminist point of view this show must suck, the women are all portrayed with some big flaws. So far we have Isobel invading other's privacies and keeping major secrets from her husband, Liz violating Max's trust by outing him to Kyle, Cam betraying work ethics and Liz's pseudo-scientific background, whereas Isobel doesn't seem to have an occupation at all. Only Maria is portrayed mainly positive. (aside from her leaving her bar duties as it pleases her)
On the other hand three of four guys are shown with respectable careers (deputy, doctor, war veteran) and in terms of personality traits there's Max risking everything by saving and trusting Liz and now also by following Kyle's request to do something for that sick kid, Michael being a loyal friend to Isobel by not revealing what she kept from Max, and Kyle not giving in to the military guy instead deciding to make up his own mind about Max.

- The show has been making use of the current political issues regarding (illegal) immigrants from Mexico. Further thinking about it I realized that due to the ethnic changes for some of the roles, it's now the case that all the main caucasian cast members (Alex excluded) are aliens, whereas all the people of Mexican descent are humans…. so they are all some sort of "alien".

- Damn, Max and Michael both rock the boots, jeans, shirts and cowboy hat look! I might keep watching just because of that.

All in all, though, I'm not sure if it's a good sign, that I have so many meta-thoughts ... apparently the show doesn't seem to grab my full attention while watching it.
[PL_2.0]

medium13

Post by medium13 » 09 Feb 2019, 02:17

I’ve been giving your assessment some thought. I agree that the interaction between Maria and Isabel helped characterize and make Isabel more sympathetic. I also think it underscores an important factor I had overlooked. While Max is pure of heart and Michael somewhat a hopeless down on his luck type, Isabel has the strength of being dangerous. She’s proven that she’s more wiling than both the others to interfere in a more severe way in the lives of others. In that way, she’s a good feminist character not being dulled by her sex into a supporting or passive role. And, she didn’t wait for permission from Max to act. She deceived him, twice really. Her powers give her agency and in many ways are more useful perhaps than Max or Michael. So I’m quite content to see if she adopts a Lady MacBeth personae tempered by good will.

I also like your predictions, although it seemed like general, accepted knowledge that Michael killed the two girls in town even if it is later revealed to be circumstantial.

Your assessment about aliens is spot on. So far, the writers have made decent use of this allegory and the last episode had a passing criticism of the relief efforts in Puerto Rico which is bold in some ways.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 12 Feb 2019, 21:38

So watching a few more episodes, I'm more interested in sticking it out now, though it does have some issues!

It's true like Lavettye say women are portrayed with big flaws in ways the men aren't, but that doesn't bother me as much as the romance stuff. Maybe it's cause I'm fresh off watching "You" but Max's nice guy isn't he so romantic and caring, rubs me the wrong way. The guy is so intensely in love with Liz he causes a blackout and sure he has some alien excuse for the rage stuff, but really that should be a major red flag for potential boyfriend. Also way he treats other cop (forgotten her name) not good. Guess I'm really not into media showing this intense, stalker, love thing to be best thing over the "boring" relationship with a guy who you can actually talk to and have fun with but there's no "spark"

So Max is my least favourite character, but I'm liking most of the others and the mystery is intriguing, so going to see where this goes.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 14 Feb 2019, 01:38

Lavettye wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 20:12
- prediction for the handprint on Rosa's body: it's Max's, but he was (unsucessfully) trying to save her after the accident caused by the fourth Alien
Hm, that turned out to be false… unless Max's hands were a lot smaller 10 years ago. 8-)
- additional prediction: somehow, Max, Michael and Isobel ended up assuming each other to have caused this accident and decided to cover it up together, not realzing there was a fourth alien around
… but this thought seems to be right on track. The same way the audience is fooled into first thinking it was Max (handprint), then Michael (admits it, and makes the dead bodies float) and now Isobel, the aliens must have assumed it was each other. Probably Isobel had a blackout back then, during which Max and Michael assumed she caused the accident, and they helped cover it up and agreed on not letting her know for her own good, just like Isobel and Michael agreed on sending Liz away and not letting Max know about it.

All in all, yesterday's episode was very Isobel centric, and while I like the added mystery and drama, I think it would have been enough to introduce the return of her black-out problem and not also the rift with her husband at the same time. I got the idea behind their problem, but not having witnessed them falling in love in the first place or at least the show having built up and established their relationship for more than a couple of scenes lasting less than fives minutes, the break-up didn't carry that big of an emotional impact as it could have.

The second plot with Kyle and Alex was handled rather well, though. I did miss Maria, and think they could have at least given Liz' scene of running into Noah while searching for Isobel to her character instead.
[PL_2.0]

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 14 Feb 2019, 07:11

I liked that Kyle and Alex got to interact with other people too, nice to see them have relationships outside of Liz & Micheal. Seems they are doing well making everyone involved in plot, I think Maria just needs more to do now.

I agree it's likely to be 4th alien that killed the girls. I don't know if I trust Isobel's husband, he's now said he has interest in aliens, wonder if we'll discover he has been doing some investigating himself. Maybe just need to learn more about him, because don't feel very invested in him and Isobel relationship yet.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 14 Feb 2019, 21:03

You beat me to writing up a review for "Don't Speak".

I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to this show each week. It's fun.

While the focus on Isabel here was great, we are missing plot beats that would really amp this up. We've never seen a history of blackouts and I don't think it was mentioned before this episode, which is a bit problematic. Her last occurrence was ten years ago and Michael and Max are immediately aware of what's going on. I did feel for her when her husband said he needed time, but it wasn't as resonate as I would hope for. Noah has only had minutes of screen time and no development but Isabel's struggle with self was well done with what little we have. I HATED when she accidentally blurts out that she pushed Liz out ten years ago. There's just no way she'd let it slip out so casually that way. Her lie was also really stupid, but that felt more real. Many people can't lie successfully in the moment. Max took some good jabs at her as well. The real anguish comes when Isabel is confronted with the possibility that she's responsible for the deaths of the girls, which I agree is probably a red herring.

I enjoyed that Max seemed to be able to reach out and locate her and was curious whether or not Michael also has this ability (or the plethora of variations this could work). Having the aliens have both individual and shared powers is unique in and of itself and I think it works here. His emotional beats were pretty undercut by Isabel's this week with the exception of the last few moments where Liz is putting together "the truth". Why was Max shot? Will it be part of the plot later? It seemed like a drastic way to make Liz come around to her feelings but unnecessary since she acknowledged them because she felt safe with him not because he was wounded (but well enough to walk out of the hospital and take care of himself). Like Max, Liz took a backseat for me this week although I was happy to see her track down clues and save herself from death before Max arrived on the scene. Again, it all kind of culminates to the last few moments, and I loved the camera cuts and dialogue. It was so dramatic.

Lastly, we discover that Rosa is the child of Sheriff Valenti, mostly based on a photograph and the identification of Rosa through her monogrammed blanket (this happened for Paige on Charmed too so I giggled). How in the world did the Sheriff get furniture into the bunker room. A mattress, desk, wardrobe would not be able to get through there. Alex finds a peace of what I'm calling the motherboard that matches the one we've seen in Michael's possession.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 14 Feb 2019, 22:25

medium13 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 21:03
While the focus on Isabel here was great, we are missing plot beats that would really amp this up. We've never seen a history of blackouts and I don't think it was mentioned before this episode, which is a bit problematic.
I think they sacrificed the plot beats for the dramatic effect. Isobel waking up in the desert only in her underwear was a strong image, and it added to her sense of disorientation that the audience too had no idea what was going on or how she got there. Had her black-outs been mentioned before, we would have known right away what this was.
Lastly, we discover that Rosa is the child of Sheriff Valenti, mostly based on a photograph and the identification of Rosa through her monogrammed blanket
Question: could this mean that Sheriff Valenti was also the father of Liz? That would make her making out with Kyle rather awkward.

@Magik84,
Noah secretly investigating aliens would be a nice twist indeed, and would make Isobel's worries even more tangible.... especially if she were to discover that she's pregnant right before learning that Noah's nice guy act is just a cover for an alien hunter.
[PL_2.0]

medium13

Post by medium13 » 15 Feb 2019, 16:08

I agree. The image of Isabel in the desert was great and suspenseful. I had not really thought of that before. Even so, isn't there a disconnect between disappearing one night and Noah immediately jumping to the conclusion that she was having an affair or an alcoholic, even with his nail polish evidence? Perhaps this could have been reworked to preserve that suspense but also build the drama between Isabel and Noah in a slower way, especially if Noah ends up being more interwoven into alien mythology later on (i.e. in a way that Magik has described). They'd really have to clean up his knowledge about Isabel in that event. Did he suspect her to be an alien and why? But, I have to admit I am not doing a great job picking up on plot points in this series and I'm usually much better at seeing the twist or turn coming.

I had the same thought about Liz and her parentage. Even if she's not the child of Sheriff Valenti, and I suspect she isn't simply because we don't have anything to support that he engaged with Liz in the same way he did with Rosa or even Alex, I also considered the gross factor in making out with Kyle. I think making out with someone who shares a sibling with you is too close for my comfort.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 01 Mar 2019, 00:12

Okay, turns out I was right on the money with the prediction that the three aliens assumed each other to be guilty. Max & Michael saw Isobel's alter ego on top of the bodies, and Isobel upon waking up confused, was lied to that Michael had done it.

This episode's reveal can't be the whole story though, it's still too early in the season for that, so naturally Isobel's alter ego probably also just happened upon the bodies right before the others found her.

Some other thoughts:
- They once again missed a chance to make Isobel more sympathetic. The backstory of her being (sexually?) attacked and her trauma leading to these absentia spells would have worked a lot better if they had spent a few more minutes of establishing Isobel's original more open and positive personality beforehand.

- This is the second episode in a row without Maria... which, given the nature of the episode (featuring a lot of scenes set in the past when Maria was close friends with Rosa) seemed odd. IMO this can mean two things: a) they are writing her out, or b) they are avoiding to establish Maria's whereabouts in that night on purpose. Crazy thought, could Maria be the fourth alien? Could she be responsible for the deaths? Her backstory has yet to be established... it would also provide an explanation for how Maria was able to withstand Isobel's mindreading.

- However, someone named Tess got mentioned (by Isobel) in this episode, and viewers from the original series will recall that Tess was the name of the fourth alien introduced at the end of the first season. On the other hand, I found it dubious how Isobel worked a "Tess" into the conversation and no such character is being shown. I briefly thought that they might further stray from the original, and establish "Tess" simply as the name of Isobel's alter ego. "You know, Tess likes you. She's cute." sounds rather creepy in that context. However, she seems to be a real person considering that Michael agreed that Tess is hot, so he must know her on a personal basis.

- The scenes between Alex and Michael were handled greatly and came across rather authentic. At this point I'm much more invested in their relationship opposed to the stereotypical will they/won't they lovesick teenagers drama of Liz and Max. Seriously? She was afraid of being too much into him, so she chose not to kiss him? Sounds like no 17year old teenagers I have ever met.
[PL_2.0]

medium13

Post by medium13 » 04 Mar 2019, 19:23

I hated this episode, and it's the first in the season that I really had an adverse reaction to. I didn't enjoy the acting, especially Isabel's mysterious alter-ego that seemed really, over the top. It could have been much more subtle. Meanwhile, when she is back to herself, we didn't get a cold and unnerving Isabel, we got one that was outright mean and nasty, and that's not my understanding of Isabel. For the men, I haven't heard, "bro" or "man" so much in a script and it was really distracting. However, Max's clean-shaven face really changes his appearance. I wonder if they did different make up tricks as well. They didn't look younger, per se but different.

I noted some inconsistency in the script. Max claims not to know what he's capable of doing besides energy surges, but after he kills a man for the first time, Michael demands he bring the man back to life.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 04 Mar 2019, 22:44

I thought in context of flashback, Alex is being quite dickish to Michael, as he really went out of his way to stand up for him in the past and was quite sweet.

Out of trio of aliens Michael is the one I am rooting for most.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 05 Mar 2019, 21:49

Alex was kind of a laughable stereotype of what straight people think gay people are like in high school. I also though it was funny they didn't show more of Alex's body in that scene, since the actor is pretty cut. Maybe they didn't want to push too hard with the abs we've got from Michael, Max, and Kyle already. This did make Michael more sympathetic, especially when the Sheriff committed a heinous act of violence against him. I make fun of Michael because he was my least favorite in the original, but I find him much more compelling here.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 07 Mar 2019, 15:50

Well, the latest episode was a much needed improvement. We got a lot of overdue screentime for Maria and Noah, which further established their personalities. We got to see Isobel make the right assessment of her situation and handle it rather well, at the same time coming across as both competent (standing up to Max and Michael to not have them choose for her) and sympathetic, by putting the benefit of others above her own. We also saw Max not being so perfect and even acknoledging that to himself and to Liz.

The focus on more personal interactions between the cast members with less alien mystery was a turn in the right direction for me. Establish the characters and their relations first, and every following mystery reveal will have a much deeper emotional impact. Still they managed to move the mystery subplots along somewhat, though in a way that feels more organic. Instead of "I'm a scientist, I'm doing research" Liz learned new things by accident when talking to Maria's mom, and Cam's tattoo discovery also had this chance element, as only she was in that unique position of interrogating the shooter and having seen Max naked.
[PL_2.0]

medium13

Post by medium13 » 11 Mar 2019, 04:23

Agreed. These characters needed some time to shine on their own. However, with Isabel, I vacillated between sympathy and being angry with her. Her chastising Max is hypocritical. She made a selfish choice for him as well and it should be very fresh in the characters minds. But other than that, it felt like a redemption arc for her character. I am not convinced she is ultimately responsible for the deaths but her status as the prime suspect is more solidified. It seems significant the man who shot up the diner and tried to kill Liz also experienced blackouts.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 11 Mar 2019, 18:56

Possibly the fourth alien has the ability to "possess" others? That would explain the blackouts and it affecting more than one person. Question though is, does it work like Karma's power, with the alien being somewhere close by and taking mental hold, or is it more of a Malice/Proteus situation, where the alien would be a psychic entity jumping from one host to the next.
[PL_2.0]

medium13

Post by medium13 » 14 Mar 2019, 01:32

“Barely Breathing” is a great and emotional episode. Kyle learns the current version of events that led to Rosa’s demise. Liz shares more information with him, including that she developed a serum with the intention of blocking the aliens access to their powers. This scene is about Kyle and it’s obvious he has thoughts about what to do with the serum, but it leads me to be disappointed in Liz. She knows it hurt Max when she confided in Kyle,placing Isabel and Michael at risk. She does so again with little hesitation. Kyle uses the serum on Isabel, but we discover that Isabel pushed him to do it off screen. I liked the interaction between Kyle and Isabel. Isabel is bold in her confession and I respect her right before Kyle plunges the syringe into her chest. The discovery that Isabel “influenced” him to do so gives me a chuckle after commercial break and gives the whole scene a new feel in hindsight. It also makes me question the upper limits of her powers as she must have drawn information about the serum from someone’s mind, likely at a distance. Isabel is off the board, not for long I’m sure, but I already miss her. Her absence may give rise to a new alien though.

Max and Michael get a lot of fun character interactions today. The most compelling of which is Max and his adopted mother who has insecurities based on the emotional distance between herself and her children. It’s tragic because once Isabel falls ill, as the serum attacks her cells she reaches out for her mother but Max rejects her thinking he is protecting them both. Max closes out the episode by weeping in his mother’s arms and I hope we see more of her.

Michael has short but wonderful screen time with Maria that ends on a perplexing note. I think we’re to understand that despite his casual but friendly relationship with Maria, he will push people away. Seems like potential foreshadowing for a relationship with Maria, no doubt complicated by his feelings for Alex. His scenes with Liz are equally compelling and it’s clear he has chemistry with everyone in this show.

Liz has good character beats and despite her screen time takes a supporting role. I know we need the drama, but I hate her rebuff of Michael and am heartbroken at her rejection of Max. It seemed to lack compassion but I also think it’s clear Liz can’t acknowledge feelings other than anger. I’m rooting for them and art imitates life. Noah also makes amazing progress with his small time on screen. His development is sure to continue.

Alex has a lengthy subplot with his father where he hacks a database and discovers that Michael is a suspected alien or terrorist, although he rejects this idea even though I’m sure it will percolate. Through his father and mother Evans, we learn that the kids were sent to a group home and there was a pretty obvious hint they communicated telepathically. There is also a moment where it seems that the parents and town in general don’t know that Michael was the third wandering child (and by extension a pseudo sibling to the Evans children, and also found wandering the desert) and this works for me. In terms of the show having a a basis of reality and the identity of 3 aliens being undiscovered, it works better than the original. Alex blackmails his father to leave town, but before he does, the military man instructing his proxy, Cam, to do his bidding.

Fun stuff. I don’t really have any complaints except for the quick and annoying repetition of “dark web”.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 15 Mar 2019, 15:36

Whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. Liz choosing to trust Kyle over not betraying Max a second time leaves a lot to be desired. There were good scenes for nearly everyone else, and I believe this is the first apisode in which all characters (including Maria, Noah, Alex and Cam) made an appearance.

The only part I did not like that much was Alex kidnapping and blackmailing his father. Wa there a need to hack into the database with his father present? Couldn't he have done that scretly and then confront his dad after reviewing his findings? I'm not sure what we are suppoed to get from this scene, other than that Alex is capable of violence. His victim being his unsympathetic dad, however didn't leave any real impact. I never feared for the guy's safety and I also never got any ounce of Alex being in shock over how far he is willing to go.

There was one throw away line that further supports the idea of the fourth alien having a possessive power. When Liz and Michael talked about what had happened between Kyle and Isobal, Liz said something like "Isobel can't posses people, she only influences them". Upon hearing this, I continued the sentence differently "Isobel can't possess people, the fourth alien can."
[PL_2.0]

medium13

Post by medium13 » 15 Mar 2019, 18:11

I agree about Alex. I wasn't sure what to make of the subplot. Alex was appearing as dangerous throughout, but I was also concerned for his own safety. I'm not sure what his father is capable of, but my instinct says he's more capable of violence against family than his son especially given last week we witnesses him pretty brutally maim a younger Michael. I certainly wasn't bored during these scenes, but they didn't resonate as truly important to me and Alex's motivations for taking the course of action he did is a mystery. I was expecting to see his father inform Alex that simply by having knowledge of these events and this confidential project, he had placed himself directly in harms way. Everyone who brings this to light dies. That would have made his father more sympathetic and give some dramatic conflict to Alex. Instead, it seemed like subplot designed to get Alex quickly in the loop in a way other than being informed by Kyle or Liz. Now, just Maria is in the dark essentially.

I had the same though regarding the fourth alien and the explanation of Isabel's powers. It's a thin line they are walking, but one that is distinguishable. I also neglected to mention that it appeared that the show was striving for a really iconic image when Isabel was smeared in decombusted silver. The visuals are important tot his production and I think the intention was to make a really bold image of an otherworldly Isabel. Was it successful ? Kind of. It took me out of the moment though when I thought about the real life events of the actress having so put whatever substance that was on her.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 21 Mar 2019, 20:46

This has gotten a lot better, since they've developed relationships with different characters, lots of new dynamics. Michael still my favourite, he has great chemistry with everyone, liked him and Liz being science buddies. Also like that Jenna isn't just going to be Maine's lackey and see her team up with Kyle and Alex. Feel I missed something though, that Kyle and Alex both know and talked about Max et.al together, unless that happened in the 6 week jump. Liz and Max's relationship is still a bit meh for me, but least their kiss gave chance for Noah to find Isobel!