Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Disney Streaming New Marvel Shows

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Blackcyclops

Re: Disney Streaming New Marvel Shows

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Feb 2021, 18:53

I mean the appeal there is something similar to a story in the world of HP for non-hardcore fans (which is what DisneyPlus’s massive marketing has been for)...you could create or use already established minor characters to tell some interesting stories in a truly neglected context. And that’s the most straight-forward...

There’s avenues for a Young Hercules style show with T’Challa’s childhood, the scenario Xtreme talked about, or maybe go with the Kasper Cole route...not to mention a prequel to GoT route with a story taking place in the 40s or 50s or even further back. Underground has been a relatively popular show, imagine a show with royal intrigue but also with Wakandans pushing back against colonialism...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 03 Feb 2021, 12:09

I do kind of feel like we need a show to bridge the gap between BP/Endgame and BP2. No matter how sensitively they do it, unless Boseman filmed some scenes that weren’t used and can fit into the context of BP2 and him being killed somehow, BP2 would need to give a LOT of screen time dedicated to his death, his funeral, the grieving process of Wakanda as a whole AND his family, the politics of Wakanda as a result... and while I genuinely GENUINELY feel like Boseman would deserve that as a send off from the MCU, if we’re going to look at it from the perspective of the studio... that would be their movie. As much as it would be a fitting and respectful goodbye to the character, it does NOT make for a movie that would match the first instalment in terms of action and progressing the interactions between Wakanda and the rest of the world. Doing it as a series would make sense because we can have jumps in time (say a few months at a time), and have the series spaced out so that it spans an entire year or more to really explore these issues in more depth than they could hope to achieve with a 2-3 hour movie.

Chadwick Boseman deserves a lot of respect and the cast, crew, and fans deserve a chance to grieve him and the character he brought to life... but Marvel studios/Disney is also all about making money. We’ve seen how a lot of fans reacted negatively to Carrie Fisher’s few post-death appearances in Star Wars and I think they’d want to try and avoid that here— they’ve even said that they don’t want to recast or use CGI which reduces the amount that they can actually do with Boseman’s likeness...

Ugh. It kills me because I’d want him to have a HUGE send off worthy of the man and the role, but I really do feel like a series of six, hour-long episodes would be the best way to set up a new BP and explain what’s happening in Wakanda without it taking up only part of a movie and not doing the story/the man justice.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Feb 2021, 12:35

It's a difficult one. I wouldn't want a send-off of T'Challa the character to be a send-off of Boseman, the man. They're two very different things, and I think the parallels would be so hefty they'd almost be overwhelming (emotionally). From a comic fan and MCU fan, BP's gone, but there's a tonne of other characters in the MCU. From a IRL perspective, Boseman's gone and there's no getting away from that.

Thinking about it in light of Xtreme's post, the 5 years between IW and Endgame is arguably far more interesting in terms of potential changes that happened in Wakanda in the power gap than a post-Endgame film where T'Challa is dead (technically, for the 2nd time) / has recently died again, it might well explain the current situation better than a T'Challa send off would do, given it's a population that has already seen the death of their king previously (and presumably half their population).

There might be some interesting elements on the constitutional processes of Wakanda - we know that if an old king dies, a new monarch is crowned (as per BP) but that king can be challenged. If that new king was M'Baku, or someone else, that might not necessarily mean that T'Challa is automatically made King again on his return post-snap. Maybe it's a half/half - the series examines life after T'Challa, but isn't immediately clear if the progress through the story is post-IW or post Endgame.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 03 Feb 2021, 13:30

I think the whole (meta) universe needs to deal with this....they're not going to leave Ironman, Captain America, Thor etc off the table forever.

In the next 10 years say? They're going to reboot the franchise OR replace the actors like Bond does.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Feb 2021, 13:57

It's tricky - I think Chris Hemsworth could play Thor another ten years, easily. He still looks (annoyingly) young for his years, as does Chris Pratt actually. Evans looks (to me) a lot older than Pratt, despite the latter actually having a couple of years on him so I can't see him being prime Cap for another decade (I'd love his take on an older, battered, bruised Earth X Cap though). Don't know what they'd do with Iron Man. RDJ's not a young man now, in his mid 50s, and whilst Tony Stark has always felt a bit older, he's definitely starting to show his age. Don Cheadle's no spring chicken either.

Tom Holland has tonnes of time on his side, I think Zoe Saldana will be good for another ten years as Gamora (she does not look like she's in her 40s!) and Gillan's got plenty of gas in the tank as Nebula, not to mention then ecessary make-up for both characters hides a multitude of sins. Whilst Mark Ruffalo's got plenty of year's behind him, I think Bruce can be played by an older guy, in fact, it makes the transformation to Hulk ever more visually extreme. Mackie looks younger than his 42 years, but give him another decade? Could go either way.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 03 Feb 2021, 13:59

Spectral Knight wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 12:35
It's a difficult one. I wouldn't want a send-off of T'Challa the character to be a send-off of Boseman, the man. They're two very different things, and I think the parallels would be so hefty they'd almost be overwhelming (emotionally). From a comic fan and MCU fan, BP's gone, but there's a tonne of other characters in the MCU. From a IRL perspective, Boseman's gone and there's no getting away from that.
Oh absolutely, and I feel I didn’t make that differentiation particularly clear, which I should have done, so apologies if my previous post came across as a bit shitty/cold to anyone
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Feb 2021, 14:10

Not at all - I think you made it clear, it's just I'm not sure how they could (or are going to) do a goodbye to T'Challa without it having that parallel to a real person who's obviously died. I don't mind a bit of drama in my comics movies, but that's just a bit too on the nose to be enjoyable.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 08 Feb 2021, 18:20

It’ll never happen because it’s too ambitious, but I’d like to see WandaVision end in a HoM/Secret Wars mash-up, where Wanda blows up the MCU and every series and movie in Phase 4 takes place in a different reality. DS2 would be the event film that brings them all back together.
He/him/his

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Feb 2021, 19:22

Future MCU casting spoilers:
Spoiler: show
DS2 will have Wanda and Spider-Man 3 will have Strange (and has a bunch of cast from different iterations of the Spider movies). I also know that there are rumors that actors who almost played various iconic MCU roles are being approached to play alt universe versions of them.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

Jesse James II

Post by Jesse James II » 09 Feb 2021, 11:53

Spectral Knight wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 13:57
It's tricky - I think Chris Hemsworth could play Thor another ten years, easily. He still looks (annoyingly) young for his years, as does Chris Pratt actually. Evans looks (to me) a lot older than Pratt, despite the latter actually having a couple of years on him so I can't see him being prime Cap for another decade (I'd love his take on an older, battered, bruised Earth X Cap though). Don't know what they'd do with Iron Man. RDJ's not a young man now, in his mid 50s, and whilst Tony Stark has always felt a bit older, he's definitely starting to show his age. Don Cheadle's no spring chicken either.

Tom Holland has tonnes of time on his side, I think Zoe Saldana will be good for another ten years as Gamora (she does not look like she's in her 40s!) and Gillan's got plenty of gas in the tank as Nebula, not to mention then ecessary make-up for both characters hides a multitude of sins. Whilst Mark Ruffalo's got plenty of year's behind him, I think Bruce can be played by an older guy, in fact, it makes the transformation to Hulk ever more visually extreme. Mackie looks younger than his 42 years, but give him another decade? Could go either way.
Funny how you left out Paul Rudd.
He can clearly play Ant-Man forever, as obviously he drank from the fountain of youth. 😮

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 09 Feb 2021, 12:40

Ha, I'm sure I mentioned Paul Rudd on another thread. There's no way I'd have placed him in his 50s!

Conversely, back to Ant-Man, and whilst Evangeline Lilly isn't decrepit by any standards, she pretty much does look her age, and (to my eyes) looks quite a bit older than the actually older Saldana.

Also, didn't mention that not only does Benedict Cumberbatch actually looks younger than his age, he looks far younger than most comic portrayals of Doctor Strange, so I think he can easily be the Sorcerer Supreme for another decade; if not quite a bit longer. The benefits of the Time Stone perhaps?

Goes to show, age is just a number, given the varying impact it hits us all in.