Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Disney Streaming New Marvel Shows

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Cable

Disney Streaming New Marvel Shows

Post by Cable » 19 Sep 2018, 10:32

Disney's new streaming service will supposedly feature a Loki tv series as well as a Scarlet Witch tv series, and the movie actors will play in them.
Best X-Comic last week: Absolute Carnage vs Deadpool #3
Best non X-Comic last week: Absolute Carnage #4

Nu-D

Re: Disney Streaming New Marvel Shows

Post by Nu-D » 19 Sep 2018, 13:10

Sounds promising.

Cable

Post by Cable » 19 Sep 2018, 14:09

No doubt this is awesome news, but at the same time I am kind of wary of this. Maybe Disney is going to throw boatloads of cash at this (Lord Bezos is said to be spending 100s of millions of dollars on Amazon's LOTR show) but generally tv shows are a much smaller production than movies. Netflix was wise to pick "street-level" heroes like Daredevil and Luke Cage for their shows because you don't expect them to face intergalactic threats, but even still they are noticeably not on the same scale as the MCU films (especially the mystical Iron Fist). Inhumans really fell prey to this by trying to do a high-fantasy concept on an ABC television budget and couldn't possibly live up to its material. Now Disney is picking Loki and Scarlet Witch for the shows? I can see why based on the popularity of the characters, but they are two with the potential for some of the most epic power displays. I fear with the movie actors in a tv show it will just noticeably pale in comparison to the spectacle of the movies. The writing will have to be very smart and strong to make it work.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 19 Sep 2018, 14:29

The biggest weakness of the writing in even the best Netflix shows has been bloat. If Disney can really stick to 5-6 episodes for a season, with high production values, I suspect they’ll pull it off.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Sep 2018, 15:14

Nu-D wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 14:29
The biggest weakness of the writing in even the best Netflix shows has been bloat. If Disney can really stick to 5-6 episodes for a season, with high production values, I suspect they’ll pull it off.
It’s true (across all Netflix genre of shows) but at the same time its weird I find that an issue when I grew up loving network series that have twice as many episodes
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 19 Sep 2018, 15:50

Blackcyclops wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 15:14
Nu-D wrote:
It’s true (across all Netflix genre of shows) but at the same time its weird I find that an issue when I grew up loving network series that have twice as many episodes
The trick is to find that balance between pushing the ongoing big arc story of the season and having the downtime character development episodes. When the non-arc episodes are just as good if not better than the arc eps, you don't care because it's all entertaining. Priority of the writers, if all they focus on is "pushing towards that season finale super-drama hook them until next season" moment then when the breath-catching eps come about, it's bloat.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Sep 2018, 16:29

RingOtaku wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 15:50
Blackcyclops wrote:
Nu-D wrote:
The trick is to find that balance between pushing the ongoing big arc story of the season and having the downtime character development episodes. When the non-arc episodes are just as good if not better than the arc eps, you don't care because it's all entertaining. Priority of the writers, if all they focus on is "pushing towards that season finale super-drama hook them until next season" moment then when the breath-catching eps come about, it's bloat.
True...
Some of the best episodes of X-Files, Fringe and Supernatural were Monster of the Week episodes
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 19 Sep 2018, 17:10

Blackcyclops wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 16:29
RingOtaku wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote:

True...
Some of the best episodes of X-Files, Fringe and Supernatural were Monster of the Week episodes
Exactly. Not to mention the "have fun with our own reality" eps like X-Files ep "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 19 Sep 2018, 18:18

RingOtaku wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 17:10
Blackcyclops wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 16:29
RingOtaku wrote:

True...
Exactly. Not to mention the "have fun with our own reality" eps like X-Files ep "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"
Another thing to keep in mind though is that these streaming shows are usually a solid hour of no commercials. So, we are really getting 36% more showtime than a comparable number of episodes on network TV. That leaves a lot of room for character development given the number of episodes.

Cable

Post by Cable » 19 Sep 2018, 18:35

Nu-D wrote:
Inhumans was a tight 8 episodes. It did not go well.

The chief executive of IMAX, which co-produced that show for presentation on the big screen, said it failed due to "misalignment of customer expectations", who were expecting "a production akin to a mega-budget blockbuster movie, rather than pilots for a television show."

This is exactly my concern.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 20 Sep 2018, 19:50

Inhumans had a lot of bloat though. It's not just about the number of episodes, it's whether you have something of substance to fill them up. Half of that show was "character wanders around pointlessly because we need to stretch this thing out and need to show more of Hawaii than Attilan to lower costs".

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 20 Sep 2018, 21:21

Inhumans was so crappy, eight episodes WAS bloat. It had about three episodes of story at best.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Sep 2018, 21:39

EphemeristX wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 21:21
Inhumans was so crappy, eight episodes WAS bloat. It had about three episodes of story at best.
I'd say a nice 90 TV movie maybe...

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 Sep 2018, 09:53

I wonder with a Wanda show whether or not we'll see a return of Taylor-Johnson as Pietro in flashback format (or potential Wanda's reality warping...), and whether or not Vision will guest in her series.

Think a Loki / Tales of Asgard series could be quite fun. The return of Sif, Warriors Three, Heimdell, Lorelei etc, could all add to the Asgardian MCU mythology without it needing Thor.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Sep 2018, 21:08

Since Disney now owns two major movie studios, two networks, multiple cable channels, & a majority share in Hulu, it desperately needs something to entice you to part with your entertainment dollars.
I don’t want to hear about any new Marvel shows until Disney puts New Warriors on ABC or Freeform so we can all enjoy Squirrel Girl without a paywall!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Nov 2018, 21:54

Disney Play is now Disney+.
So what could happen in a Scarlet Witch series? If it’s anything like a Netflix show, it’ll be thirteen episodes leading up to her putting on her iconic tiara in the finale! The High Evolutionary would just be her college professor who does shrooms. Bova could be played by Char, winner of The Sexiest Cow In Britain award. Seeing Master Pandemonium with the souls of her imaginary children for arms is probably too high concept, but maybe he could be a muppeteer?
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... -november/

Cable

Post by Cable » 10 Jan 2019, 00:31

One of the co-writers of Captain Marvel, who also wrote the upcoming Black Widow movie, will be the showrunner for the Scarlet Witch and Vision tv series

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Feb 2019, 13:19

Showrunner for the Loki series will be a writer on Rick and Morty. Also the general idea of the show apparently is:
Sources say the show will follow Loki as the trickster and shape-shifter pops up throughout human history as an unlikely influencer on historical events

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 Apr 2019, 21:19

WandaVision is a lousy name.

Seeing Red

Scarlet: Synthezoid & Sorceress

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 May 2019, 15:17

More details coming out about the "Falcon and Winter Soldier" series. In addition to Mackie and Stan in the project, it has been confirmed the actors from the films portraying Zemo (Daniel Bruhl) and Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) will be in the show.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 May 2019, 15:33

Cable wrote:
21 May 2019, 15:17
More details coming out about the "Falcon and Winter Soldier" series. In addition to Mackie and Stan in the project, it has been confirmed the actors from the films portraying Zemo (Daniel Bruhl) and Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) will be in the show.
I will watch anything with Daniel Bruhle in it. One of the most underrated actors of our time.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 21 May 2019, 17:26

Does anyone know if these series are supposed to be pre-Infinity-War? Endgame spoilers below so be warned:
Spoiler: show
Since Viz 'died' in Infinity War and was not saved in Endgame and Falcon got Cap's shield (so seems like to be the new Cap rather than Falcon flying around with a shield),
seems like it must be pre.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 May 2019, 18:06

LimboMaster wrote:
21 May 2019, 17:26
Does anyone know if these series are supposed to be pre-Infinity-War? Endgame spoilers below so be warned:
Since Viz 'died' in Infinity War and was not saved in Endgame and Falcon got Cap's shield (so seems like to be the new Cap rather than Falcon flying around with a shield),
seems like it must be pre.
Most likely they will be post-Endgame but will involve the alternate timelines that were created. Plus with Vision, he's a synthetic being so there's no reason they couldn't try to recreate him in some way.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 May 2019, 18:13

I think there are plenty of ways both of these shows can exist post-Endgame and still work.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 May 2019, 18:17

I mean everything said about the F&WS make me bekieve its post-Endgame and deals with Sam and Buck embracing the legacy.