Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot?

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Wings

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot?

Post by Wings » 21 Jul 2018, 07:16

https://www.newsarama.com/40984-african ... fox21.html

Still only on the third season of my first watch of the original series, and I'm already so attached to the original cast that I'm torn on my feelings about this. I think I'd rather see a spin-off featuring a new Slayer, than a reboot. However, I recognise that Buffy has precedent in this regard given that the show itself was a reboot of the 1992 film. And I like the idea of a POC Buffy, given the dirth of major POC characters in the original. I'd like to see Sarah Michelle Gellar offered some kind of involvement (doesn't even have to be onscreen involvement, I just feel she defined the character so well that she deserves to be involved with the reboot in some capacity if she wants to be).
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

das_boot

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot?

Post by das_boot » 21 Jul 2018, 11:10

This reads a lot like OH NO THEY’RE MAKING A BLACK CHARMED WE NEED A BLACK BUFFY SO THAT THEY DON’T OUT DIVERSIFY US!!!!

I’m all for diversity, and like you said Wing, even in the later seasons, Buffy was very white-bread. I’m totally okay with them recasting and having a strong black cast and actually, this way they can add a greater aspect of heritage from the First Slayer to the modern day lineage. I just hope they keep that initial... almost vapidness of Buffy when she first finds out she’s the slayer... like, make her some kind of Kardashian-alike or something and have a really steep learning curve/maturation. I’m
Obviously in for this but i’m so sceptical if just for the fact that there’s no Joss...
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Jul 2018, 15:47

Maybe it will be a reboot of the Buffy movie with Kristy Swanson....
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 21 Jul 2018, 20:31

I dont know about this, honestly, i dont hate it but i dont love, Buffy is such a fundamental part of like, me, that i dont know wether i'll watch it or not. I wont hate on the reboot though, if its not for me i'll just wont watch it.

Honestly, what has been going through my mind right now is that i'd like a gay protagonist in a Buffy role in some series (a chosen one, protecting and saving the world in a supernatural setting, but he is gay), and im surpirsed that with all the streaming networks we have right now, nobody hasnt done it yet.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 Jul 2018, 22:55

In the comics, Buffy ends up having a relationship with a woman.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 22 Jul 2018, 11:37

No problem with the diversity aspect here. My issue is more with the reboot itself. I'd much prefer a continuation of the story with a new protagonist "Jenny/Mitsy/Sally the Vampire Slayer" set in the original Slayerverse.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 22 Jul 2018, 13:21

Gibbering Fool wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 11:37
No problem with the diversity aspect here. My issue is more with the reboot itself. I'd much prefer a continuation of the story with a new protagonist "Jenny/Mitsy/Sally the Vampire Slayer" set in the original Slayerverse.
Yeah like it’s ridiculously easy to make a new Buffy-style film in that same universe without rebooting it.

Its like the Shaft reboot a while back...you could’ve just had the grandson of Shaft or something instead of that mess we got lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 22 Jul 2018, 22:55

EphemeristX wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:55
In the comics, Buffy ends up having a relationship with a woman.
I remember that storyline, and that Sarah Michelle Gellar was cool with it when she found out, saying something like "it's nice that Buffy is getting some". But I still want a gay protagonist in a TV show, because in the comics we also got Billy the Vampire Slayer, I believe.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 22 Jul 2018, 23:01

Gibbering Fool wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 11:37
I disagree. At risk of ruining it for Wing, there’s no continuing this without undoing some of the ending of season 7.
Spoiler: show
Any newly activated slayer isn’t the “chosen one” anymore, she’s part of a chosen sorority. Granted, there’ll always be one or two who slip through the cracks or don’t want to fulfil their destiny as a slayer, but I’m dubious that Buffy et al would allow this slayer to just fall off the grid. It leaves the story in an awkward position where it’s almost impossible for a new slayer to be an outsider because she has this whole family of girls going through the exact same thing as her. Part of what makes Buffy special is that she’s the only one. Well. Mostly. It would be VERY interesting to see it from the angle of an activated Slayer who is an outsider who has to find out where she fits in a setting of being the same but different as her other slayer-sisters... the way that Buffy was assembling the potentials by the finale of season 7 was very militaristic, and I could see her and her slayers running some kind of almost guerilla tactics warfare against the forces of evil. And whilst that would make for INCREDIBLE television, at this point in time that series would almost mandate that we see some of the main cast turn up, all of whom are in their 40’s now and like... I dunno. I feel that part of the magic of Buffy was that they were young adults. Seeing a 40-year old Buffy, Willow, Xander... it would just feel a bit... I dunno. Like the stakes (no pun intended) aren’t high enough to build that suspense because the main cast are almost untouchable and at this point, have so much plot armour that it’s unreal (Buffy as queen of the slayers, Willow as the most powerful witch on the planet, Faith as a trusted Lieutenant, Xander as... okay Xander has no plot armour)— in this scenario the risks that any slayer faces seem trivial compared to what Buffy went through in her tenure. The slayers would never be alone like she was to face a big bad, and would never have to have that issue of picking their friends carefully and always having to have the tough calls on their shoulders. For the series to work, yes the Slayer can have her support, but for her to feel like a woman against the world, she needs to have that “I AM the Chosen One element.

I’d far rather see a reboo than an attempted continuation of the series. I just hope they find someone suitably foil-ish to Buffy like ASH’s Giles was to SMG
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jul 2018, 00:03

Its mainly that I feel like it’s a property with such a defined world that mining it for more stuff interests me more than slapping the name Buffy on another actress. Whereas Superman and Batman are much more cyphers/archetypes so really you can reboot them ad naseum, Buffy was a very specific character that filled a very specific space.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 23 Jul 2018, 02:47

@das_bot, you make some assumptions about what the world would be like in a new series that continued on from Buffy. Yes, Buffy ended with every slayer "activated" but it could be very easy to create a storyline that addresses that fact and allows the new series to not have its hand tied by it. Off the top of my head I can think of three:

a) The Slayers have stepped up into the void left by the Watchers Council and established a Slayer Council of sorts. Each slayer gets assigned a city to protect. In a planet of several billions the few thousand or so slayers are stretched thin so there aren't an army of slayers to respond to every crisis in every city.
b) After an initial great run of success the Slayers start to fall one by one to a new mysterious adversary (cue overarching storyline). Their numbers are much lower than at the end of season 7 and the only resource available to help this new slayer is one solitary Watcher (cue character from original series, or maybe a disabled slayer who can no longer fight herself)
c) Nice and simple one - somehow the bad guys reversed Willow's spell and reverted the status quo back to one slayer at a time.

Of course, this all assumes that the writers aren't sticking to the stories raised in the comics as canon, and when have studios ever considered expanded universe material as canon? Some might do, but only up until there's new films or shows to release.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 23 Jul 2018, 04:31

Remember that in that Slayer from the future comic, that actually had a crossover with the Buffy comic, and it's canon, at some point in the future something happened so that there isn't any recollection about Buffy's army.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Jul 2018, 05:27

I'm most concerned about the supporting characters than about the recast of Buffy.

Don't get me wrong, SMG was phenomenal but part of the show's appeal was how well the supporting cast played off of each other. I don't think they should try to recast Willow, Xander, Giles et al, it'd be less cringey if a whole new supporting crew were added.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Jul 2018, 05:42

Spectral Knight wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 05:27
I'm most concerned about the supporting characters than about the recast of Buffy.

Don't get me wrong, SMG was phenomenal but part of the show's appeal was how well the supporting cast played off of each other. I don't think they should try to recast Willow, Xander, Giles et al, it'd be less cringey if a whole new supporting crew were added.
100% agree. Personally, Buffy was nowhere near the most compelling character by perhaps season four, and whilst she had some strong moments in seasons six and seven, I was far more interested in the stories of the supporting characters than I was hers.

@Gibbering— yes, I’m making assumptions; but even with Slayer forces spread thin, if there was some kind of apocalyptic evil, it would be weak story-telling to say “okay, yes this is the biggest baddest bad you’ve faced to date, but you’re on your own , newbie slayer, LOL BYE”. Imagine if, as a viewer, you’re presented with Debbie the Vampire Slayer who’s still pretty green in her role, having to face off against someone of the power level of Glory, or The First, or even The Initiative— to be told she has no one to help her. No Watcher, no Slayer-Sisters, no one. The rest of the Slayers know precisely how much of a threat this is, but in order to ramp up the story’s tension, none of them are available. It creates plot holes and viewers would see right through it.

A reboot in this case wouldn’t be the worst thing that could happen. A lot of the references in Buffy are fairly dated now (c’mon, its been over 20 years since the show premiered) and it’s not a difficult show to modernise. When it was first released it tapped into the momentum of the 90’s Girl Power stuff and I actually can’t think of a better time to reboot it with everything that’s going on politically and socially. Say what you want about it being a light-hearted action show with heart, but tell me that there aren’t legions of Buffy fans who don’t think of that show as their gateway to realising they were feminists, gay, or perhaps both, and I will tell you that you’re wrong— tapping into the momentum of #metoo and #blacklivematter couldn’t be more important. In fact, if anything, it makes it a more valid statement. Here’s Buffy. She’s a woman of colour this time around and she has these people backing her up and this is her story. Black lives matter and what she’s doing for the purpose of the story explores who she is beyond her race (just like SMG Buffy’s story took her beyond her gender and messed with gender roles— her ENTIRE break up with Riley can be chalked up to HIS feelings of inadequacy because she was the strong and powerful one in the relationship). Regardless of what happens, with Whedon on board (I was clearly mistaken when I previously said that he wasn’t), I’m confident that the story will be done tastefully and powerfully.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 23 Jul 2018, 10:32

das_boot wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 05:42

@Gibbering— yes, I’m making assumptions; but even with Slayer forces spread thin, if there was some kind of apocalyptic evil, it would be weak story-telling to say “okay, yes this is the biggest baddest bad you’ve faced to date, but you’re on your own , newbie slayer, LOL BYE”. Imagine if, as a viewer, you’re presented with Debbie the Vampire Slayer who’s still pretty green in her role, having to face off against someone of the power level of Glory, or The First, or even The Initiative— to be told she has no one to help her. No Watcher, no Slayer-Sisters, no one. The rest of the Slayers know precisely how much of a threat this is, but in order to ramp up the story’s tension, none of them are available. It creates plot holes and viewers would see right through it.
Isn't that the same as the Avengers not showing up in Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Doctor Strange etc? You might question "Where is Iron Man/Captain America/Thor etc but there's always an explanation and a way to write around things.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Jul 2018, 12:26

Gibbering Fool wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:32
das_boot wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 05:42

Isn't that the same as the Avengers not showing up in Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Doctor Strange etc? You might question "Where is Iron Man/Captain America/Thor etc but there's always an explanation and a way to write around things.
Doctor Strange was someone that the vast majority of the MCU characters didn’t even know existed until Infinity War (well, other than a brief mention in Winter Soldier). And I get what you’re saying and I don’t think that you’re wrong, but with a shared universe there’s an element of plausible deniability (certainly in the phase two movies) that everything was either happening in rapid succession or so quickly that there was no time to assemble the Avengers. The events of AoU were sparked by the Avengers assembling specifically to take the fight to the dude with the Infinity Stone and they were prepared for something, just not Ultron. It was all planned out for them to be together at that point in time. Look at the phase three stuff. Far more cameos in films, and other than the origin stories like BP, everyone HAS been brought together by a threat. Hell, look at Infinity War. People only working together initially due to circumstance and even then, Cap, Falcon and Widow appearing out of nowhere to save SW and Vision, Stark being called by Banner to get to Strange, Thor happening across the Guardians... that works.

And yes, it COULD work in a continuation of Buffy’s TV canon for the reasons you listed earlier, but compared to the feel of the previous seasons, all of those excuses would feel weak. Hell, they couldn’t even get SMG to cameo in the final season of Angel beyond stock footage and a body double— what makes anyone think she would even be willing to come back for a continuation of the franchise, especially as she’s more focused on behind the camera/voice work now?

I dunno. I think my happy medium would be to have a series called “Slayers” that built on what happened after season 7. Kind of like Agents of SHIELD references the MCU without actually informing it and has occasional guest appearances. But even then... I just don’t see enough of the original cast wanting to come back to it if they weren’t the focus of the series.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 23 Jul 2018, 16:20

I watched an episode of Buffy once. She had a very long neck. I figured that’s why the vampires liked her.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 23 Jul 2018, 16:43

Unless I get to Boot the writers in the head for a second time for that godawful episode where she got sick and had to stay sick to see the demon preying on sick children in the hospital I need no Reboot.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Jul 2018, 19:11

RingOtaku wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:43
Unless I get to Boot the writers in the head for a second time for that godawful episode where she got sick and had to stay sick to see the demon preying on sick children in the hospital I need no Reboot.
I’m tired so at first I thought you were trying to imply that I should be writing it, then I realised that’s not what you were saying, but possibly also your best idea of your entire actual life, and i’m on board.

Guys, I’m writing the Buffy reboot.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Wings

Post by Wings » 27 Jul 2018, 16:39

Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Jul 2018, 17:10

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 28 Jul 2018, 12:53

Im more excited now.