Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Luke Cage Season 2 Ep 1-6 (SPOILERS)

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EphemeristX

Luke Cage Season 2 Ep 1-6 (SPOILERS)

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Jun 2018, 15:08

I was going to do a thread for 1-3 but I didn't think enough happened there to warrant it. Halfway, though? Yeah, there's some good stuff to discuss.

Bushmaster. Mariah's daughter Tilda (and who she may end up being). Comanche and Shades and their prison romance. The Luke/Claire break-up. All of the storyline parallels involving family. Misty's power arm and her downward spiral ending in her leaving the NYPD. Colleen showing up for a barroom brawl.

There's alot to unpack. So let's get to it, shall we?

First off, Luke Cage was not the place I was expecting to see an explicit queer romantic subplot. Even if, at this point, Shades and Comanche don't (or won't) say the words, it's about as cut-and-dry as it can be without them. I was wondering why exactly Che was so annoyed by Mariah all the time and kept commenting on them being an item. Duh, right? Wow. As bad as I know Shades is, I kinda want them to ride off into the sunset together. Ugh.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Re: Luke Cage Season 2 Ep 1-6 (SPOILERS)

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Jun 2018, 16:01

You think it’s explicit? I just took it like Bucky and Cap: really close same sex friends.

Speaking of friends, I hope Misty and Luke just stay frienda from now on. I
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Jun 2018, 16:06

I do. When they're sitting there, back to back, the emotions are palpable. When Che talks about them being "more", Shades responds by saying he was just doing what he needed to do to stop from going crazy. Che then says being out doesn't change anything and he feels what he feels. Shades then tells him he'd still die for him but "it is what it is" and Che almost starts crying and has to leave the room. Shades' expression is full of hurt as he walks out. It read as pretty explicit in my mind.

I get that it is technically open to interpretation, since nobody says "I love you" or "we had sex in prison to stop from being lonely", but what else could it have been? Che clearly wants something from Shades that Shades can't, or won't, give.
Last edited by EphemeristX on 27 Jun 2018, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Jun 2018, 16:07

I'm with EphemeristX on Shades and Comanche. That was obviously a nod to them being an item in prison, but Shades considers that "what happens in prison says in prison" while Comanche does not. It felt very Moonlight. And I really liked that plot! It made Shades much more interesting to me.

Bushmaster is kickass! One of my favorite of the tv villains now up there with Killgrave and Kingpin.

This is a big rebound for me after JJ Season 2 was so underwhelming.
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Jun 2018, 16:10

I love Bushmaster.

Also, the Netflix subtitles for the Jamaican patois is hilarious to read. It completely changes words and sentence structure to standard American English. Which, I mean, it should, because the average person wouldn't be able to decipher alot of what was being said even with the words written in front of them. It's just funny to see it be half right and then veer off into left field.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Jun 2018, 17:41

I just want you all to know I was trying to do any queer erasure or anything...I just idk...really thought it was a close friendship and not romantic. Like what does that say about me that i think thats how a close same sex friendship should be and everybody else is like “yeah they boos”? Lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Jun 2018, 17:55

Oh, I didn't take it that way. I think yours is a pretty common reaction. I imagine there are a bunch of folks who didn't notice it either.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Jun 2018, 18:11

EphemeristX wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 17:55
Oh, I didn't take it that way. I think yours is a pretty common reaction. I imagine there are a bunch of folks who didn't notice it either.
I guess my take is why would Shades be all "yeh but that was back in prison" if it was just a close friendship?
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Jul 2018, 04:42

Yeah, I'm definitely on the "prison gay" ship. Maybe it's having read this thread before hand, but it felt really explicit that they were an item in prison.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 09 Jul 2018, 07:11

So I didn't like season 1 because it wasn't for me, but this season is so good. I love Woodard so much. Between Mariah, Shades, and Misty...this season has all the right things going on. Luke is still boring, but they more than make up for it.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 09 Jul 2018, 08:31

Luke is better this season than he was previously.

The rest of the cast continues to be more interesting though.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...