Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Avengers Infinity War SPOILERS

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
das_boot

Re: Avengers Infinity War SPOILERS

Post by das_boot » 08 May 2018, 14:58

Cable wrote:
08 May 2018, 14:01
Which half of The Defenders do you think died at the end of the movie?
If Iron Fist died, would anyone even care?

I imagine that whichever of the 50% she landed on, Jess would be mad as hell about it until she realised that she means she has to deal with 50% less stupid people, but then goes straight back to furious when she realises that she relies on stupid people’s money
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

P-90

Post by P-90 » 03 Jun 2018, 19:50

Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Jun 2018, 20:51

Cable wrote:
Luke and Jessica both dusted, leaving Misty and Trish to pick up the pieces. DD loses everyone he cares about. Iron Fist gets stupid lucky and keeps everybody and the rest of the group kinda hates him for it.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 04 Jun 2018, 22:14

Now I really wish we could see DD Season 3 in the events of Infinity War. It would be an interesting spot to have Fisk come back and take hold of the underworld when all his competition is gone.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 05 Jun 2018, 14:09

das_boot wrote:
08 May 2018, 14:58
Cable wrote:
If Iron Fist died, would anyone even care?

I imagine that whichever of the 50% she landed on, Jess would be mad as hell about it until she realised that she means she has to deal with 50% less stupid people, but then goes straight back to furious when she realises that she relies on stupid people’s money
I’ve rewatched IF, and I think the show is unfairly maligned. It’s not great, but it’s not bad either.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Jun 2018, 14:15

I said during the last conversation we had about it, Iron Fist definitely improves in the back end of the season. So much of the hate was driven by reviewers who only got the first four eps.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 Jan 2019, 04:55

Why is Red Skull even in this movie?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 03 Jan 2019, 05:31

Why not? He went somewhere when he touched the cube. The idea of him being forced to serve some kind of cosmic penance is a pretty cool one, imo.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 Jan 2019, 22:32

EphemeristX wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 05:31
Why not? He went somewhere when he touched the cube. The idea of him being forced to serve some kind of cosmic penance is a pretty cool one, imo.
Well, he had zero connection to the soul stone, for one. It just seems like a totally random story element that cluttered up an already jam-packed movie.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 04 Jan 2019, 05:35

Nu-D wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 22:32
EphemeristX wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 05:31
Well, he had zero connection to the soul stone, for one. It just seems like a totally random story element that cluttered up an already jam-packed movie.
Cause they needed someone to fill the role so why not give fans a little callback and some cosmic penance for Red Skull.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 04 Jan 2019, 08:18

It was one of the bigger dangers of the movies and I like that they tied it up here.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Jan 2019, 11:27

Well, I mean, who would have a connection to the Soul Stone other than, like, Adam Warlock who hasn't been introduced yet?

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 04 Jan 2019, 11:34

EphemeristX wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 11:27
Well, I mean, who would have a connection to the Soul Stone other than, like, Adam Warlock who hasn't been introduced yet?
I'm curious whether early drafts possibly considered using Adam Warlock but didn't because of GotG?

I guess they could've just used a random nameless character as the Stone Keeper but why not tie up an old plot dangler as well in a way that makes perfect sense.

I think you're on your own on this one Nu-D

Cable

Post by Cable » 04 Jan 2019, 13:30

No I completely agree with NuD. It made no sense at all why Red Skull would end up there. I don't really think it was a dangler; Red Skull was gone after touching the Tesseract and never to be seen again. Who really cares about the details of his demise. He could have been teleported into the sun for all we know. This doesn't even tie up the dangler really because now with the Soul Stone gone he is free again so we are back to where we started with not knowing where he is and what he is doing.

It was just a weird movie cameo for no reason, like fan service but terribly executed. Why not feature one of the hundreds of characters we haven't gotten to see? It almost seemed like they had a movie contract for the actor to appear in another movie but didn't want to do another Cap with him so just shoehorned him in or something.
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #18
Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #21

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Jan 2019, 13:41

Actually, I think he does serve a role, he replaces the character of Death. No offense Cable, but this movie was already packed with characters, adding a new one, such as the real Death might have been disorienting for a lot of folks. At least by using a previous character, with ties to one of the gems, it seems a little less overwhelming. Plus he's got the creepy skull face going on, just like the real Death. I think it was kind of done as an homage, since they weren't doing the traditional Thanos love story.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback | Taskmaster | Domino | Nuke | Trickshot | Jolt | Troll

Cable

Post by Cable » 04 Jan 2019, 15:20

Anna Raven wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 13:41
No offense Cable, but this movie was already packed with characters, adding a new one, such as the real Death might have been disorienting for a lot of folks.
This character would be in the movie for like three minutes. You don't even have to give them a name in the film let alone any kind of backstory. To casual fans they would just be "guardian of Vormir" and safely forgettable, while to comics fans it could be a cosmic character they may recognize and be an extra delight. That is fan service done right. I think putting in Red Skull is actually more confusing.
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #18
Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #21

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Jan 2019, 15:47

Anna Raven wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 13:41
Actually, I think he does serve a role, he replaces the character of Death. No offense Cable, but this movie was already packed with characters, adding a new one, such as the real Death might have been disorienting for a lot of folks. At least by using a previous character, with ties to one of the gems, it seems a little less overwhelming. Plus he's got the creepy skull face going on, just like the real Death. I think it was kind of done as an homage, since they weren't doing the traditional Thanos love story.
But I found the presence of the Red Skull disorienting. When I saw him there, I thought he had to be connected to the soul stone somehow, then I wondered if the Soul Stone was the one from CA1, and then i got all confused. I had to go to wikipedia after the movie and research which stones were in which movies to get it all sorted out (which, to be fair, I probably would have had to do anyhow). But still, it added to my confusion.

I agree with Cable. A cameo from Death or some other entirely un-established character would have made more sense. Hell, it could have been the Ghost of Christmas Past, and it would have been less confusing. As a viewer, you’d be like “ah, this is a soul condemned to guard the stone,” and you’d move on. But by making it a character we already knew, you’re left wondering, “did I forget something? Did I miss a movie?”

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 04 Jan 2019, 16:28

It worked for me. I agreed it was a dangler as it looked like he was transported into space somewhere. It was always there as a potential future plotline. The stone transported him to another stone (they are in sync on some level, makes sense to me) and Skull finding he couldn't touch it and there was no one coming to the planet that he could get transport from found himself mellowing out and feeling this was his Place, not a ruler of men but a humbled guardian, one who knows the power of an Infinity Stone to warn others. Movie explained it well. But to each their own if it didn't work for you.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

nathanadler

Post by nathanadler » 06 Jan 2019, 02:47

I'm curious about the term of "Infinity War". While it might be because it's a war focused on control of the Infinity Stones, I wonder if the MCU team are doing a double-play on the title and it means that it a war that never ends? Interesting that it's sequel is "ENDgame".

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 06 Jan 2019, 10:48

nathanadler wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 02:47
I'm curious about the term of "Infinity War". While it might be because it's a war focused on control of the Infinity Stones, I wonder if the MCU team are doing a double-play on the title and it means that it a war that never ends? Interesting that it's sequel is "ENDgame".
The name “Infinity War” comes from the source material.

nathanadler

Post by nathanadler » 06 Jan 2019, 10:52

Nu-D wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 10:48
Yep, but the main source material the film is adapted from is "Infinity Gauntlet". "Infinity War" was a completely different story with Thanos relegated to a more secondary character. I'm just wondering if the Russos might be slyly using the term as part of the plot.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Jan 2019, 12:27

nathanadler wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 10:52
Nu-D wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 10:48
Yep, but the main source material the film is adapted from is "Infinity Gauntlet". "Infinity War" was a completely different story with Thanos relegated to a more secondary character. I'm just wondering if the Russos might be slyly using the term as part of the plot.
Probably not. Age of Ultron had no similarities to the event it was named after either. "Infinity War" just sounded better and leaks were the original name for the second was "Infinity Gauntlet"

nathanadler

Post by nathanadler » 08 Jan 2019, 08:16

tokenBG1009 wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 12:27
Probably not. Age of Ultron had no similarities to the event it was named after either. "Infinity War" just sounded better and leaks were the original name for the second was "Infinity Gauntlet"
Given Doctor Strange has likely pulled sleight-of-hand with the time stone, and perhaps similarly created a loop around Thanos similar to what he did to Dormammu in his eponymous film, it could be a nice little easter egg though :)