Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Road to Infinity War: Re-Watching the MCU

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Anna Raven

Road to Infinity War: Re-Watching the MCU

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Jan 2018, 10:09

So I've been watching a MCU movie each week, starting back to the first week of January. It so happens that if you watch one a week, you can watch all the MCU films and the final week will be when Infinity War hits. I thought I'd share some thoughts about some of the older movies I've been going through, and if any one wants to discuss or participate (we are only 4 weeks in after all, plenty of time to catch up) then feel free!

Week 1) IRON MAN

This holds up very well. RDJr really was the perfect casting choice for Tony Stark, that is to say, he's a larger than life presence that steals every scene he is in. It's odd seeing Terrance Howard in the role of Rhodey. Considering that since he never suits up as War Machine, it's almost easy to imagine him as a totally different character. All the casting was pretty well done in this movie in fact. And it really set the tone for future movies. I'm so happy Clark Gregg was cast in what was a relatively minor role as Coulson.

What I would have rated it before this viewing: 5 stars
What I rate it after this viewing: 5 stars

Week 2) THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Is it technically MCU? Maybe not. It does have the first appearance of William Hurt as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross though so I think that's enough connective tissue to say yes, this is in the MCU. Plus we have the post-credits scene with RDJr, so yeh I think it counts. Edward Norton isn't as much of an "everyman" as Mark Ruffalo; he's definitely a more introspective, nerdy-geek type of scientist. But then again is that a bad thing? Isn't that Banner's true character? Someone who has trouble reaching out for help, who doesn't make Russian super-spy femme fatales swoon? I think this movie suffered from a) coming out almost immediately after Iron Man and b) not nailing the look of the Hulk.

The CGI here is a bit rough. Hulk isn't as cartoony as he looks in the Ang Lee version, but he doesn't look exactly right either. His nose is hawkish, perhaps to emulate Ed Norton's angular features more, his muscles are too overly defined, to the point he has ridges all over his chest muscles. He looks a bit like a nightmare fueled green rat pumped up on every steroid imaginable. The Abomination looks a tad better, because he's supposed to be more monstrous. Speaking of Tim Roth makes a great bad guy. Avengers finally nailed Hulk's look, so lets just say this movie was the failed trial balloon.

The story though? Not half bad. It's definitely more of a love letter to the tv show, with not much connecting to the greater MCU, but to be fair the greater MCU didn't exist yet. In the end I was thoroughly entertained, and it's kind of a fun thought exercise to imagine what the MCU would have looked like with Banner being played by Norton moving forward.

What I would have rated it before this viewing: 4 stars
What I rate it after this viewing: 4 stars

Week 3) IRON MAN 2

There are many who might say this is one of Marvel's weakest cinematic offerings. I am not one of those people. There is plenty here to keep me entertained. Black Widow's coming out party was every bit as spectacular as I could have dreamed. RDJr continues to be his witty charming self. Gwyneth is given even more room to shine in this movie and she does a great job with the expanded role. And then you have the underrated Sam Rockwell (can you call him underrated anymore since he's finally gotten a well deserved Oscar nomination?) in one of his very best roles as the petulant, greedy, smarmy Justin Hammer. There's something just amazing about a guy so injured by his underling that he steals his beloved pet and then both his shoes.

Yeh, maybe Whiplash was an underwhelming big bad, and maybe the final fight scene in the park is a bit of a dud. But even that has some nice repartee between Tony and Rhodey. So sorry, not sorry. I still consider this one of the MCU's better movies.

What I would have rated it before this viewing: 3.5 stars

Week 4) THOR

Again, I'm not really the one to talk to if you want to bash Marvel's earlier films. Perhaps it's nostalgia. For one thing I had the privilege of working on a video game tie-in to this movie, so I'm naturally going to be a little biased. Thor: Ragnarok may be everyone's favorite, but honestly I like the balance between humor and drama that the first Thor movie strikes. It's got some great comedic moments - thanks to lovable sidekicks Dr. Selvig and Darcy, as well as from Thor himself, playing a naive young god, who doesn't know better than to try lay low and fit in. I think the early MCU movies were cribbing off of Ultimates A LOT. So it's natural they'd be playing off of the fact that Thor unabashedly walks around, calling himself a god and just expecting everyone to believe it. And then when they don't that's when the hilarity ensues.

But it's also got great moments of heart and drama. The growing schism between Hemsworth and Hiddleston as the movie paces forward is heartbreaking, as is the moment when Odin casts Thor from Asgard. Jamie Alexander gets her best moments in this movie, it's sad to me that she flat disappears by the time Ragnarok rolls around. A side note: as a lead on the game, I got to go see an early edition of the movie in LA before it came out in theaters. I SWEAR in that cut, when Thor kisses Jane, they had a quick scene of a jilted Sif looking at Thor with hurt on her face. Either I dreamed that moment, or they deleted that scene so hard its not even on the DVD, but I kind of wished we'd got a cut of the film where there was some developing jealousy between Sif and Jane.

Also, one thing I'd forgotten, this movie has one of the very best soundtracks of all the MCU offerings. It's main theme is a beautiful regal march, that conjures up visions of Asgardian soldiers lining Odin's throne room.

What I rate it after this viewing: 4.5 stars

Eh. Maybe, I'm too nice to be a critic. I gave everything 4 stars and up. But to be honest these early Marvel movies are some of my favorites. I'm 99% sure not every MCU is going to get 4 stars from me. You'll just have to keep checking in to see which ones merit my wrath of an "AVERAGE RATING!"

Current rankings:
1. Iron Man
2. Thor
3. Incredible Hulk
4. Iron Man 2
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

tokenBG1009

Re: Road to Infinity War: Re-Watching the MCU

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Jan 2018, 18:59

Think I'm going to take part in this as well! I'll have to catch up and come back to this. Thor was my favorite MCU movie until Guardians of the Galaxy hit so it'll be fun to watch them all over again.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Jan 2018, 19:39

tokenBG1009 wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 18:59
Think I'm going to take part in this as well! I'll have to catch up and come back to this. Thor was my favorite MCU movie until Guardians of the Galaxy hit so it'll be fun to watch them all over again.
YES! The more the merrier! You should be able to catch up in about a week I bet, since we aren't very far in yet.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 28 Jan 2018, 20:49

Fun idea, I don't think I'd have time to watch every film but I think there are few that deserve a re-watch. I watched Incredible Hulk, last year and did think people were overly harsh on it, think it's a pity that potential plot points like the Leader never got fulfilled. I do like Tim Roth too.

Looking at those posters, Thor Ragnarok really stands out as the most colourful!
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 02 Feb 2018, 20:32

Do y'all think Ragnarock and BP will be on Amazon before A3 is in the theater?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 02 Feb 2018, 21:19

Ragnarok will, unless you mean Amazon Prime to watch for free, in which case I'm less sure. Black Panther seems like it would be cutting it close.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Feb 2018, 06:36

Sorry I skipped a few weeks there. I got all caught up this weekend though. Hopefully I won't do this whole thing in clumps, but you know, sometimes life gets in the way.

Week 5) CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

Another really good one from the first wave of solo films. Tons of heart, especially early on this film. From everything to setting up the relationship between Steve and Bucky, to the nice moments between Steve and Dr. Erskine, and of course how genius was the line "I could do this all day?" Both Tommy Lee Jones and Hayley Atwell are great in their roles in the middle of the film. And then unlike some other Marvel films, a topic I will get into later in this very post, Cap certainly does NOT have a villain problem. Both Hugo Weaving and Toby Jones are EXCELLENT as The Red Skull and Arnim Zola respectively. Zola is somehow simultaneously an obsiquious toad and a terrifying mad scientist, which I still don't know how he pulled that off. Red Skull is menacing as hell, with or without his mask. The ending to Cap might be my only gripe. It's been lampooned in YouTube videos and perhaps rightfully so. I mean seriously Steve, you can't hold on until you actually see buildings on the horizon before you plow your jet into the ground? But you know, whatever, suspended disbelief I guess. If say, a fuel line got cut in their battle somewhere, it might have made more sense. But, Evans and Atwell manage to redeem the moment with the sweet promise of a dance that's never to be. So, I'm going to forgive the one little hiccup of stupidity, and give this movie a good score overall.

Week 6) THE AVENGERS

Ok, the team finally gets together! Except they don't. Not at first. Hawkeye is a mind controlled zombie, and the first 3/4ths of the movie is spent highlighting how these "heroes" are really hardly a team, but rather a collection of isolated threats to the ecosystem that are even more deadly when they come into combination with each other. Somehow, Loki is the prescient genius who predicts how this volatile cocktail will react, Black Widow is the even BIGGER genius who sniffs out his plan, and yet despite figuring it all out ahead of time, the heroes blow up on each other anyway. I see what Whedon was trying to do here, it's a play on the "first time superheroes meet, they have to fight" trope, with a great big dose of deconstruction thrown in for good measure. But to be honest, it doesn't hold up as well as did the first 5 times I watched this movie (all within 2 weeks of it coming out on the theater). Now that time has passed and I've seen ACTUALLY smart, sophisticated superhero movies, this one feels stale in comparison. Now don't get me wrong, all the big stars still pull their weight, Hiddleston still plays a remarkable Loki, and I really enjoyed the antagonism between Nick Fury and mysterious "world shadow council".

Of course, back when this first came out, I was simply wowed by the idea of all my favorite heroes finally hitting the big screen together in one movie. That shine's worn off a little bit. In the end I think what we're left with, is a very typically Joss Whendon movie, with all the typical Whedon snarky-humor and oh let's toss in a pretty waitress into the mix to give that "oh-so-human-touch" the film desperately needs. Except I'm not sure it did need it. The old man who defied Loki in Germany was a MUCH better common man to root for. The waitress felt too "damsel-in-distress" for my tastes, but Whedon really can't help himself when it comes to going back to his own fishing well. He even pulled the same trick out of his pocket with the Euro-family in Justice League, which I INSTANTLY noticed, and thought to myself: "Oh that's the waitress from Avengers all over again.")

BUT the Battle for Manhattan is a glorious spectacle. I was thoroughly kept on the edge of my seat for the last third of the movie, because, wow, that's how you do a third act Marvel!! Glad that came into play, because this movie was starting to feel really dated and not up to what I remembered. A few last notes. On the recasting of Hulk/Banner with Mark Ruffalo: Ruffalo does a fine job here, he is an excellent Banner, and his facial structure is a perfect fit for the CGI artists to transpose into Hulk. But I suppose I'm in the minority here when I say, I wish Ed Norton could have stayed on, just for continuity sake. Another quick-hit: the Chitauri were fine faceless minions for Loki, but what's up with The Other? I hope in Infinity War, the Black Order aren't as useless and lame as he ended up being. In general the Thanos-connection to Loki was so tenuous, I almost wish they had left all this stuff out. The creepy black void, whether it was space, another dimension, a mindscape - who could even tell? It kind of made me embarrassed, thinking "this is what casual people hate about superhero movies - is this kind of stuff." Bad villain, bad subplot.

What I rate it after this viewing: 3.5 stars

Week 7) IRON MAN 3

The weakest of the three Iron Man movies in my opinion, but that doesn't make it a bad movie per se. It's just kind of average. There's still plenty to like. Tony is still Tony, all the other stars do a great job. It's just the plot of this movie is so convoluted it hardly even makes sense, and yet its so shrouded in this cloak of "what the hell is going on" that by the time you find out the Mandarin is just a wannabe failed actor and the real villain is Killian, you can't even fathom what their objectives are. I did eventually cipher it all out, and really it JUST boils down to a little guy who was annoyed by being overlooked all his life, has a grudge to bear against big bad Tony Stark, and so he holds the President of the US hostage as a pretense to get Tony to finally recognize his genius. Again, much like The Other, not a good Marvel villain. Same with his Extremis-enhanced crew. They are all super- generic, not very interesting, plain old bad guys. I mean, I get it, the one lady was missing an arm, Extremis helped her regrow it plus giving her cool new, volatile superpowers, blah blah. But they are still just terrorists; boring little minions with no good motivations for what they are doing. This is definitely a movie that highlights the so-called Marvel villain problem. They even take a kick-ass organization like AIM, and water it down to a few nerdy science guys and their body-guards. Super-lame. Give me at least one Beekeeper outfit. But fortunately, other than in this little chunk of movies between Avengers and Thor: The Dark World, I don't think the "Marvel villain problem" is a real problem. But more on that topic next week!

What I would have rated it before this viewing: 2.5 stars
What I rate it after this viewing: 2.5 stars

Oh no! I gave Iron Man 3 a dreaded AVERAGE RATING! I must not be the obsessive fanboy, everyone calls me! Nah, I pretty much am. I even admit, I liked Iron Man 3, it's just not my fave. Here are my new rankings:

Current rankings:
1. Iron Man
2. Thor
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. Incredible Hulk
5. Iron Man 2
6. Avengers
7. Iron Man 3
Last edited by Anna Raven on 19 Feb 2018, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Feb 2018, 03:21

Week 7: THOR 2: THE DARK WORLD

Much like Iron Man 2, I don't see why this movie is usually listed so low or as "one of the bad MCU movies". I think it has a lot going for it. It's a fun sci-fi feeling sort of movie, again with a similar mix of action and comedy we got in the first Thor. It's got a surprisingly deep plot, in fact I think that worked against it. The subplot of the "convergence" plays second fiddle to getting the Aether out of Jane and safely away from Malekith, so I think it tends to get forgotten, but it's a very cool plot device. Same with the plot device of the "Kursed" which was such a good idea Agents of SHIELD recently resurrected it and applied it to the Kree. In my Head Cannon, the Kree stole it from the Dark Elves.

The acting is solid again from all the repeat cast. Hemsworth begins to laugh at himself a little more in this movie (like taking the subway, or hanging Mew-Mew on a coat hook). Hiddleston is great again. Kat Dennings is funny, as is Stellan Skarrsgaard following his bout of possession in Avengers. Natalie Portman is a bit slap-happy, but she cuts a royal figure in Asgardian garb. And then Rene Russo, criminally neglected in the first movie, has her climactic scene stealing moment sacrificing herself in a tear jerking fashion. Newcomer Chris O'Dowd, as always steals the show with his two cameos. And if you didn't know Zachary Levi replaced Josh Dallas as Fandral, you might not have noticed it was so seamless.

As to the negatives, both the talent of Chris Eccleston and the potential of Malekith are wasted somewhat. Too bad, because both are top notch. Malekith isn't the worst MCU villain but he just isn't given much to work with. So we get another entry into the "Bland MCU Villain HOF." Also, this movie really needed Taika Wahiti's touch for jokes. The dialogue in this movie isn't quite up to par. Examples: Loki tells Odin "It's not that I don't enjoy our little conversations, but... I don't enjoy them." Later Loki says : "What makes you think you can trust me? Thor replies: "I don't" before cuffing him. It's not bad dialogue but compared to the joke-a-minute Ragnarok, some of it is rather dry.

But all in all, I can't believe it rates "worst MCU movie" but sure enough it shows up there on many lists. To each their own I guess.

What I would have rated it before this viewing: 3 stars

Current rankings:
1. Iron Man
2. Thor
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. Incredible Hulk
5. Thor 2: The Dark World
6. Iron Man 2
7. Avengers
8. Iron Man 3
Last edited by Anna Raven on 11 Mar 2018, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Feb 2018, 15:26

So my list rankings as I finish Age of Ultron...

1. Iron Man
2. Avengers Age of Ultron
3. Captain America: First Avenger
4. Avengers
5. Incredible Hulk
6. Thor
7. Iron Man 3
8. Iron Man 2
9. Thor 2
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 02 Mar 2018, 13:25

Clearly, Marvel has heard about our plan and decided to ruin it by pushing the release date forward a week.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Mar 2018, 13:42

So I finished Civil War last nite...sorry that movie is still amazing and sooooo fun...

New rankings:
1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Iron Man
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Captain America
7. Avengers
8. Ant-man
9. Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 3
11. Thor
12. Iron Man 2
13. Thor 2

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 02 Mar 2018, 13:55

I’ve re-watched about 2/3 of the films over the past 6-months. Taken individually, I’d say each lands right about where I thought it was when I first saw it. I liked Avengers 1 more the second time, but realizing how little I remembered about IM 2 and 3 highlighted how forgettable they are. Thor 2 is still garbage.

But what really stuck out for me was how watching them all in close proximity highlights how formulaic and bland many of them are. On their own, they’re fine, well done blockbusters. But as a whole it’s pretty repetitive. Once the novelty of seeing Marvel characters and continuity done well in live action has worn off, the movies themselves (with a few exceptions) are meh.

Civil War, Age of Ultron and GotG 1 held up better than the rest, IMO.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 02 Mar 2018, 15:30

I still hold up Winter Soldier as one of the best MCU films and one of the first to really start going outside the box.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Mar 2018, 15:58

EphemeristX wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 15:30
I still hold up Winter Soldier as one of the best MCU films and one of the first to really start going outside the box.
Yup...that's when they realized they had the audience's trust and they could venture outside the box. All the films after that do step outside the formula they had established...

But to be honest, I don't see why it's a mark against those older films for being fun and formulaic? My grandma's fried chicken is the same every year since I can remember. Do I want to eat it everyday? Of course not but it's nice to be able to come back to it and enjoy it...

Same reason why I love so many films from like 1932-1960...alot of them follow the same formula but that in and of itself don't make them bad. It's like athe kneejerk reaction is to not like them because they are comfort food...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 02 Mar 2018, 16:10

Blackcyclops wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 15:58
EphemeristX wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 15:30
Yup...that's when they realized they had the audience's trust and they could venture outside the box. All the films after that do step outside the formula they had established...

But to be honest, I don't see why it's a mark against those older films for being fun and formulaic? My grandma's fried chicken is the same every year since I can remember. Do I want to eat it everyday? Of course not but it's nice to be able to come back to it and enjoy it...

Same reason why I love so many films from like 1932-1960...alot of them follow the same formula but that in and of itself don't make them bad. It's like athe kneejerk reaction is to not like them because they are comfort food...
Some movies, every time you watch you see something new, and it enhances the film. These movies, every time I watch I see even clearer how generic they are, and I’m more bored.

Again, that doesn’t make them bad. It just means I don’t want to watch them a third or fourth time because every time I watch they get worse, not better. Ant-Man is a perfect example. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time, but was bored to tears the second.

As for Winter Soldier, that’s one I have not re-watched yet. I’ll plan to watch it again soon.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 05 Mar 2018, 17:11

Winter Soldier held up well on its second go around.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Mar 2018, 18:49

Nu-D wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 17:11
Winter Soldier held up well on its second go around.
Yeh it sure did. I re-watched in Saturday night. Full review forthcoming.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Mar 2018, 22:50

Week 8: CAPTAIN AMERICA 2: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Yeh. This is almost undoubtedly the best MCU film. I need to rewatch Civil War just to confirm, but I'm 99% sure Winter Soldier has it beat. It's the first MCU film to really break out of the mold of the Iron Man template. It's a new genre: spy/thriller. The relationships established in this film are top notch: Cap/Falcon, Cap/Widow, Widow/Nick Fury, Cap/Nick Fury, I could go on. It had the perfect amount of cameos with Agent 13 and Maria Hill. Winter Soldier is BADASS! Arnim Zola becomes a creepy-ass AI. Hail Hydra indeed!

If I had two minor quarrels, its just that Alexander Pierce is a pretty meh villain, but lets be real, Winter Soldier is the real villain in this film. Or at least he's the badass foil that Cap not only has to fight but also redeem. Also I feel as far as bad villains go, you could (and Marvel has) do a whole lot worse than Robert Redford. Also, his character helps put a nice bow on the whole shady World Security Council and all the clandestine crap that's been happening in the Marvel Universe. A second very minor issue is I think the movie would have held more weight if Fury had actually died, but I know why they didn't kill him off. It's a little too bad is all.

Those are so minor though, I really don't think they pull the rating down at all. I love the dialogue and plot as well. Just a really, really well made movie. If there weren't a stigma against comic book movies, I'd say Winter Soldier merited serious award consideration. It's up there with Logan as the finest examples of the genre.

Week 9: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

It's hard to follow up on Winter Soldier, but somehow GotG is the perfect follow-up. If Winter Soldier is Babe Ruth, GotG is Lou Gerhig hitting clean-up. It's not as deep, or as well crafted. But it's a funny, super-enjoyable popcorn flick, that again takes us to a whole new corner of the Marvel universe. I think Marvel really started to figure it out around this time. Pick a brand new place or genre we haven't seen before. Sprinkle in a light-hearted, possibly even comedic tone. And then make a badass movie, focusing heavily on people and relationships. Just like Winter Soldier you have personal interactions/relationships galore. Rocket/Groot, Quill/Gamora, Gamora/Nebula, Quill/ Yondu, Drax/Rocket, Ronan/Thanos. Even Quill/John C. Reilly and Rocket/Peter Serafinowicz!

The jokes are great, the MUSIC is great. Everything about this movie is top-notch, except once again, perhaps Ronan is a little one-note. Given the awesomeness of Lee Pace, its too bad they couldn't make him a little more than a religious zealot. But he does play the part well, and a character that doesn't back down to Thanos, is not a terrible character all things considered. I also at one point was let-down by the performance of Karen Gillan as Nebula, thinking it was kind of hackneyed and overacted, but then after seeing GotG2 I kind of realized, no that's ACTUALLY her characterization and it all makes sense given how its paying off in this film. So even that minor issue kind of went away for me.

So, yeh, back-to-back this was a really fun two weeks of watching Marvel films!

Current rankings:
1.Cap 2: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Iron Man
3. Thor
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Incredible Hulk
6. Thor 2: The Dark World
7. Iron Man 2
8. Avengers
9. Iron Man 3

Wings

Post by Wings » 12 Mar 2018, 00:22

This will probably prove controversial but I actually found Winter Soldier and GotG to be weak. Perhaps it was because I came to the films quite a bit after they'd come out and everyone else had raved about them. I enjoyed Cap 2, but not half as much as I enjoyed the second Thor film, and GotG fell absolutely flat for me.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Mar 2018, 04:20

Wings wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 00:22
This will probably prove controversial but I actually found Winter Soldier and GotG to be weak. Perhaps it was because I came to the films quite a bit after they'd come out and everyone else had raved about them. I enjoyed Cap 2, but not half as much as I enjoyed the second Thor film, and GotG fell absolutely flat for me.
Haha well, everyone's different. Or I could rage at you like in the SNL skit this week when the guy went off on his girlfriend's parents for saying Coco was better than Shrek. :lol:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Mar 2018, 12:13

Ragnarock just became available to rent on prime, so I watched it last night. It was a lot of fun. Bright colors, good action, the actors seemed to be having fun. It hit all of the sweet spots for a comic book movie, IMO. Best of all, no Natalie Portman.

I did think the first act was rushed, while the middle act was dragged out a little too long. But that was a minor complaint. This was in the top echelon of MCU films for me, along with Winter Soldier, GotG 1, and Civil War.

bamf

Post by bamf » 12 Mar 2018, 12:55

I ended up doing this by accident within the last week or so and I have to tell you after some time away from some of these movies my opinion of them have swayed. A couple of the maligned Marvel movies I find fun and watchable, and the praised ones I find boring or over-hyped. I think my rankings would go something like this:

Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: the Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Ant-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
Thor
Thor: the Dark World

This was actually tough for me, when I actually laid them all out and rearranged them there were definitely some surprises. Avengers and Guardians being lower than I initially thought and Age of Ultron being higher. There's no shock in the Cap movies being close to the top but Strange, Ant-Man, and Black Panther all kind of being lumped together on the back end was interesting. Also man people HATE Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron and fine, that's your opinion, but I think they're worlds better than Iron Man 3 and Avengers respectively. I also should clarify that I really don't DISLIKE any of these movies.
MFL: Captain America, Iron Man, Storm, Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Iron Fist

X-Editorial: Angel, Sunspot, Monet, Karma, Colossus, Lila Cheney, Aurora, Captain Marvel, Magma, Box, Triage, Hindsight, Sydren

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Mar 2018, 13:26

I haven’t been as systematic as some of you in re-watching, but here’s my current groupings ranked internally from best to worst:

The Best:
Captain America: the Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
—Jessica Jones s.1
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy
—Agent Carter s.1

The Middle
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
—Defenders
Ant-Man
Iron Man
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
—Iron Fist
—Agent Carter s. 2
—Jessica Jones s. 2

The Garbage
Iron Man 2
Thor
—AoS
Iron Man 3
Thor: the Dark World

The One’s I Don’t Remember or Can’t Rate
Captain America: The First Avenger
Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man: Homecoming
—Daredevil (only watched some of it)
—Luke Cage (only watched some of it)
—Punisher (haven’t watched any of it)
—Runaways (is this in the MCU? I haven’t seen it)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Mar 2018, 14:50

If I had to rank TV I’d say AOS is leaps and bounds better than Iron fist though...particularly once it got over that Hydra reveal...AoS really suffers cause its on network tv and has wayyyyy too many episodes per season though.

Rewatched Ragnarok and Black Panther over the weekend...
Blackcyclops wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 13:42

New rankings:
1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
3. Thor Ragnarok
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Iron Man
6 Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Captain America
8. Spider-man: Homecoming
9. The Avengers
10. Black Panther/Dr. Strange
11. Ant-man
12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
13. Incredible Hulk
14. Iron Man 3
15. Thor
16. Iron Man 2
17. Thor 2

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Mar 2018, 15:59

I suppose I should put AoS in the “can’t rank” category because I only watched the first 4-5 episodes of season 1. But they were sooooo terrible I gave up on the whole thing, so I put it in the “garbage” category.

I continue to feel that Defenders is significantly underrated, and a pretty good show. IF made the cut by being passable, even if it wasn’t very good.