Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Black Lightning

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
tokenBG1009

Black Lightning

Post by tokenBG1009 » 17 Jan 2018, 22:07

Anyone watch the newest CW superhero show?

So far it's been fantastic!

Also, I don't know why I appreciate it, but MK: A Raiden is in it.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

EvilMonkeyPope

Re: Black Lightning

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 17 Jan 2018, 22:18

Tobias Whale has a harpoon gun, so I'm on board!
I like James Remar in everything except MK:A, but I guess it's an appropriate lightning connection.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Jan 2018, 05:10

It definitely had a different tone/feel to it than other DC/CW shows. It felt more like a Marvel Netflix show, tbh, but I'm a afraid its a lesser Luke Cage. I'll keep watching though. I wonder if they will participate in any of the crossover shenanigans?
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 18 Jan 2018, 05:58

Anna Raven wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 05:10
It definitely had a different tone/feel to it than other DC/CW shows. It felt more like a Marvel Netflix show, tbh, but I'm a afraid its a lesser Luke Cage. I'll keep watching though. I wonder if they will participate in any of the crossover shenanigans?
While I understand the similarities to Luke Cage I feel like it's a show that very much embraces what it is more with a far more interesting main character and better supporting cast.

...basically, it's a much better Luke Cage. Though I'm not sure if Tobias Whale will be as good a villain as Cottonmouth.
A League of Their Own!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 22 Jan 2018, 22:04

I was shocked by how electrifying this premiere was! Jefferson Pierce may be the world’s best high school principal!
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... g-strikes/

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 24 Jan 2018, 14:57

@EMP: Do the daughters not know? I thought at least Anissa did. She saw him in the tub after he got so beat up. And I thought they looked fearful when they saw Black Lightning on the tv for the first time.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 31 Jan 2018, 05:10

It doesn't seem like the daughters know yet.
Hopefully Jill Scott’s Lady Eve will get a cobra-themed outfit. Once you have a guy that shoots electricity from his fingers, there’s no excuse not to deck out the apocalyptic Kobra cult in full serpent regalia.
Too bad Grace Choi’s actress didn’t pack on the requisite muscle mass.
I’m unclear whether the comic book means The Outsiders are fictional in this universe or if it’s inspired by real metahumans that exist there.
Khalil feels more like Chuck Clayton than Riverdale's, yet they're the same guy!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 31 Jan 2018, 11:59

tokenBG1009 wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 05:58
Anna Raven wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 05:10
While I understand the similarities to Luke Cage I feel like it's a show that very much embraces what it is more with a far more interesting main character and better supporting cast.

...basically, it's a much better Luke Cage. Though I'm not sure if Tobias Whale will be as good a villain as Cottonmouth.
Still not sure if he's Cottonmouth good, but he's already better than Diamondback. Not that that's hard. Which is weird, because I enjoyed how campy Diamondback was. Whale just has that feeling to him that I'll enjoy having him on the show. We're only 3 episodes in, but this is by far the best CW show this season and probably has the best premier season so far.
A League of Their Own!

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 31 Jan 2018, 15:41

Okay, so i’m only just starting the second episode of this, however my general opinion?

It’s so refreshing to see a series centred on a black family and there isn’t the stereotype of “man in the hood struggling to survive”. He’s a well-educated, intelligent and an incredibly charismatic community leader, and he ISNT white-washed for the sake of making him more palatable to a wider audience. Furthermore, with the inclusion of Anissa and Grace, there’s the chance of a lesbian romance too. This could possibly be the most diverse and representative series yet and i’m SO glad they’re doing well with it.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jan 2018, 18:58

Its at least the most “grounded”...Legends certainly has a cast all over the place and has ZERO issues with same sex couplings lol...as well as Riverdale. But this one, aside from Riverdale, is the only one that at least attempts to be more realistic. Its definitely better than Luke “Put me to Sleep” Cage
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 31 Jan 2018, 19:29

LOL! You guys are so mean to Luke! :P
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 31 Jan 2018, 21:44

The comic Grace was reading has Lady Eve & Syonide on the cover!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Feb 2018, 12:56

One of its songs is by Omega R.E.D.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 13 Feb 2018, 18:06

Seeing Grace Choi of all characters get CW'ed is a bit painful, but I'm glad to see her and Anissa come to life.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 Feb 2018, 14:44

Monolith wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 18:06
Seeing Grace Choi of all characters get CW'ed is a bit painful, but I'm glad to see her and Anissa come to life.
I live in hope that she was just playing possum in that last episode I watched but damn. I know this is Thunder’s story, but I just want to see the lewd and tattooed arse-kicker that I love
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 18 Feb 2018, 17:43

Just finished all the episodes so far. Overall I think it's great. I think most of the casting is excellent and the acting is outstanding ... especially by Anissa and Jennifer. Cress Williams is outstanding as Jefferson Pierce. I wasn't thrilled with his performance as BL in action. The choreography of his power use just didn't work terribly well. I think it's getting better though which is encouraging. My main gripe is with BL's costume. It looks cheap, plastic and cheesy, like something you'd see in an 80s show/movie. I much prefer the less flashy costumes in most of the other CW shows. I think it would be much more effective to have an understated costume and let his powers dress it up. I'm glad the made a point of Jennifer saying his powers made it hard to see his face. The idea that eye masks conceal identities from loved ones makes suspension of disbelief too hard.

Do we know if Freeland is part of Arrowverse?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 18 Feb 2018, 19:01

As of right now it's not. They've stated BL is it's just own thing with no connection. This could always change though.
A League of Their Own!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Mar 2018, 04:46

The ground albino powder really was magic? YEEESSSS!!!!!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Apr 2018, 21:22

If a Black Lightning review doesn’t contain any strained electricity puns, did it even happen?
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... ctrifying/

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 02 Aug 2018, 14:48

I'm just now getting back into this show enough to finish it out. I've just been thinking of it as an alternate Earth that we haven't seen yet, or possibly ever will, from the perspective of the rest of the Arrowverse. And based on some of the comments, it seems like it might be the most similar to the main DC reality. We know there are both a Vixen and a Supergirl on this Earth. That's something none of the ones we've seen directly so far have had.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Aug 2018, 16:56

There is a Vixen on Arrowverse Earth...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 02 Aug 2018, 18:34

Right, there's a Vixen, but there's no Supergirl on the main Arrowverse Earth. And it's implied that non-alien superheroes are few and far between on Supergirl's Earth. And I figure Kara's occasional appearances on the main Earth are kept pretty quiet. The general public probably don't know about her.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 02 Aug 2018, 19:41

Monolith wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 18:06
If "getting CW'ed" isn't on Urban Dictionary it needs to be STAT
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 03 Aug 2018, 06:10

Not that the bar is set high, because Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl were all pretty meh to terrible, but Black Lightning is going to end up as either the best or second best show on CW this season to me. I need to watch all of Riverdale and compare it to Legends of Tomorrow before I make the final call that all of you are surely waiting to read.
A League of Their Own!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Aug 2018, 10:44

I wish that Marvel had a show as light and fun as Legends...AoS is actually pretty good but it doesn’t do enough easter eggs. Whereas Legends is just full of DC stuff snd isn’t afraid to embrace it.

Basically I’m saying Marvel needs a Different Defenders show starring weirdoes like Nighthawk, Tigra, Daimon Hellstrom, Devil-slayer, Valkyrie and other D-listers battling Tiger Shark and s***.

My X-Men Draft Picks: