Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

The X-Men Come Home to Marvel

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Cable

Re: The X-Men Come Home to Marvel

Post by Cable » 21 Jun 2018, 10:58

It is the X-Men we are talking about. That is the entire reason for the negotiations, the other stuff is just a bonus. Money is no object.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 21 Jun 2018, 16:09

Disney realized creating more Star Wars spin offs was a waste of money and have funneled those future funds towards this deal.

At least that's what is in my head cannon. X-men + Dr. Doom > Skywalkers + Darth Vader
Current Pull List:
Extermination, Astonishing X-men, X-men Red, Iceman, Multiple Man, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Amazing Spider-man, Dr Strange, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four, Marvel 2-in-1, Mister Miracle

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 Jun 2018, 16:29

Whatever your personal opinion of Rupert Murdoch, I think he is a genius for cashing out now. There are very shaky times ahead for the entertainment industry as it goes through changes, and he will be one of the few to walk away a clear winner.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 Jun 2018, 16:30

WorldWideWade wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 16:09
Disney realized creating more Star Wars spin offs was a waste of money and have funneled those future funds towards this deal.
The Star Wars fanboys really shot themselves in the foot with that one.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Jun 2018, 21:49

Cable wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 16:29
Whatever your personal opinion of Rupert Murdoch, I think he is a genius for cashing out now. There are very shaky times ahead for the entertainment industry as it goes through changes, and he will be one of the few to walk away a clear winner.
All he really cares about is spreading his propaganda empire anyway.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Cable

Post by Cable » 19 Jul 2018, 18:28

Comcast dropped their bid today. They realized nothing can stop the Disney Juggernaut.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jul 2018, 19:49

AHHHHH! So, basically, that means it just has to clear the other sectors governments and it's done.

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 19 Jul 2018, 20:47

EphemeristX wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 19:49
AHHHHH! So, basically, that means it just has to clear the other sectors governments and it's done.
I think that there is also a Fox shareholder that is suing to prevent the sale. But outside that yes, it's a done deal.

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 20 Jul 2018, 16:39

Cosmos666 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 20:47
EphemeristX wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 19:49
I think that there is also a Fox shareholder that is suing to prevent the sale. But outside that yes, it's a done deal.
Fox shareholders still have to vote (on July 27th), then I 'think' I remember that a federal judge still has to approve (different than USDOJ approval that already happened) and I think that zips it up (assuming that lawsuite about missing Hulu forecasts doesn't kill anything).

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Jul 2018, 05:29

Some fallout from the deal possibly? This is all very "rumoury" but I thought it would still be of interest.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/x-men-da ... s-canceled
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 26 Jul 2018, 06:47

New Mutants, while dealing with reshoots, is basically a done movie isn't it?
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 26 Jul 2018, 11:33

Both movies have a cut that could be released theoretically. It seems that word from people that have seen the screenings is that they both kind of suck. Dark Phoenix is rumored to be too similar to the Last Stand and New Mutants sounded very little like the source material.

It's hard to imagine that anyone that's a big fan of the X-franchise would be happy with either movie if the rumors are true. I hope they do leak online though because I am curious to see just how bad they are.
Current Pull List:
Extermination, Astonishing X-men, X-men Red, Iceman, Multiple Man, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Amazing Spider-man, Dr Strange, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four, Marvel 2-in-1, Mister Miracle

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Jul 2018, 17:48

I'm really not surprised New Mutants would be as bad as Fantastic 4. Most of these franchises really aren't meant to be manipulated into classic horror films. Logan into a Western makes sense, since he's a Lone Hero archetype. But just making a horror/superhero movie, just because you want to make one without considering the source material, sounds like a bad recipe to me. But I'm predisposed to hate horror movies so maybe I'm biased.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 26 Jul 2018, 18:04

Well, I think if you were going to do a superhero horror movie, the Demon Bear Saga is a good place to draw inspiration. I also love horror.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Jul 2018, 20:17

I saw zero bears in that first trailer, just sayin'. :D

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 26 Jul 2018, 22:43

No, but the whole plot of Dani's nightmare projections coming to haunt them all at a hospital is pretty much from the first part of that storyline.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Jul 2018, 05:07

Anna Raven wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:48
I'm really not surprised New Mutants would be as bad as Fantastic 4. Most of these franchises really aren't meant to be manipulated into classic horror films. Logan into a Western makes sense, since he's a Lone Hero archetype. But just making a horror/superhero movie, just because you want to make one without considering the source material, sounds like a bad recipe to me. But I'm predisposed to hate horror movies so maybe I'm biased.
Indeed. There's a number of Marvel properties that would be ripe for a cinematic horror take, primarily because thd source material is fundamentally horror. I'm thinking Ghost Rider, Werewolf by Night, Hellstrom, Blade and perhaps even Moon Knight if you were thinking psychological horror.

Yeah Demon Bear was a horror type story but the source also had plenty of non-horror elements too - and if you want longevity from this spin off concept so that you could down the line adapt other NM stories it seems prudent to rein in the horror aspects rather than focus on them.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 27 Jul 2018, 15:41

True, but Demon Bear wasn’t so much a psychological horror as it was a supernatural horror. Us as fans, we an see how the X-Men can actually fit into a supernatural horror genre, but anyone who isn’t a fan might find it a massive stretch to go from a very heavily science-based story to one where they’re introducing elements of magic/demons etc.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Jul 2018, 19:11

Well, it took Fox shareholders all of 10 minutes but...

THE X-MEN ARE BACK! (and the FF)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Jul 2018, 19:54

So you think that’s why Marvel was all cagey about the x-news at sdcc?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Jul 2018, 21:14

They've been cagey since before Infinity War, honestly. They certainly didn't want to announce something if they then had to completely change plans. There's no way Phase 4 doesn't involve FF and X-Men now, and if they'd made a bunch of announcements for stuff they ended up pushing back or getting rid of completely, that would be bad for their brand.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 27 Jul 2018, 21:49

I reckon phase 4 will see the Fastastic Four at some point, obviously not before 2021 but I believe they will enter the MCU in some capacity. The X-Men though are a different machine. Their movies have been successfully (commercially) and continue to be. Shifting them to the MCU will be problematic I think. Even a reboot is a bit questionable. I really think that Marvel will keep the universes separate for the time being until a natural opportunity arises to bring them in.
I think that we will see Galactus and Doom become the big bads soon enough. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel build towards the Secret Wars event...which might be the doorway for the X-Men.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 28 Jul 2018, 00:30

It's a pity Marvel Studios wasted Mads Mikkelsen on a nobody instead of saving him for Dr. Doom.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 28 Jul 2018, 04:52

Do you really think Disney would sit on a property like the X-Men or continue them without integrating them like they have with everything else? Why wait for Secret Wars when the Infinity Stones are about to mess with time and reality in a big way next year?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jul 2018, 07:10

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 00:30
It's a pity Marvel Studios wasted Mads Mikkelsen on a nobody instead of saving him for Dr. Doom.

I just imagined Hannibal as Doom and now I know what my dream movie is...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger