Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Morbius

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EphemeristX

Re: Morbius

Post by EphemeristX » 15 Jun 2021, 22:41

I can just see some exec patting Tyrese on the head and going "Sure you're part of the MCU, champ".
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Jun 2021, 11:51

The site that did the interview has since followed up with Sony who said, to paraphrase, Tyrese Gibson doesn't know what he is talking about (he had also said it releases in October 2022 when it actually releases in January 2022.)
Best Comics of Week 39

X-titles: Gambit #3 by Chris Claremont (3) and Sid Kotian (2)
Non-X titles: Captain America Symbol of Truth #5 by Tochi Onyebuchi (2) and RB Silva (2)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 17 Jun 2021, 13:20

To be fair to him, I've heard many report that there will be some sort of thing where Spider-Man is the tie that binds between the "Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters" (try saying that ten times when pissed) and the main MCU. So the main MCU doesn't necessarily reflect any of what happens except for that which directly affects Spider-Man, whilst everything else that happens in the Sonyverse (isn't that easier...) may include Spider-Man, or related characters that have previously appeared in the MCU, at some point but very unlikely to ever reference any non-Sony owned film right characters.

Is it still in the MCU? Technically no, but canonically, it may well 'fit' without causing problems in either universe. Assuming either 'universe' is a self-contained universe rather than its own multiverse...by which point, who the feck knows what's happening. Sony's already alluded to a multiverse through Into the Spiderverse anyways ....

(I'm certain most people in Marvel would now be adamant that t'was never a good idea to split the rights of characters in a shared publishing universe in the first place!)

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Jun 2021, 02:45

Sorry, Morbius. This is the year of Mobius Mania!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 23 Jun 2021, 15:32

Agreeing with SK on this as I was reading about the rights fiasco from a couple years back when we thought Holland was officially out of the MCU forever. Sony tried to make it clear that while they weren't one universe they were at least connected.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 02 Nov 2021, 13:40

Trailer's out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ6iiRrz1SY . Honestly more interested than I thought I'd be having seen it. My previous interest was nil.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 Nov 2021, 16:07

So, this is set in a universe with Venom, seemingly following the events of Venom (and maybe Venom Let there be Carnage), but with references to Spider-Man, Osborn, and Black Cat and Rhino (as per the Bugle header), and with Keaton's Vulture.

What...on...earth is happening with the SonyverseIsntButMaybeActuallyIsPartOfTheMCU...?

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 05 Nov 2021, 16:34

I think it's "This is testing poorly with audiences, and oops no one actually lets Jared Leto...quick throw in references to the other movies and no I don't know which ones just do it"

As for my interest in this movie. It was zero before the trailer I saw in front of Eternals and it's somehow even lower now.
Spoiler: show
Though this does come out AFTER Spider-Man, so maybe it's something to do with what happens in that film?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 Nov 2021, 17:32

To be fair, some of those references were in early versions of the trailer. Still totally incomprehensible though, given this was supposed to release BEFORE No Way Home.

I must say, I'm actually looking forward to it a bit. I kinda want to see a bit more horror in Marvel's output (I loved the first Blade movie) and I think if it's tonally very distinct from normal superhero fare it could pick up a different audience. I'm not a huge Morbius comics fan, but I did quite enjoy his arcs in the 90s Spiderman show.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Nov 2021, 21:01

Pretty sure Sony has been saying Holland!Parker is technically a part of their cinematic universe from the beginning.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 20 Dec 2021, 08:03

Spoilers from No Way Home that might have an impact in this.
Venom wasn't part of the MCU, but was part of its Multiverse, was pulled into the MCU during No Way Home / close of Venom 2, and sent back to his universe by the movie's end.

Morbius seemingly is set in the same universe as Venom but where does that leave Keaton's Toomes in terms of where he fits

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 20 Dec 2021, 13:48

Toomes just might be a universal overlap.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 20 Dec 2021, 20:18

Not sure if this reply is a spoiler or not but rather not chance it...
True enough, I guess I kind of was hoping for more of a universal rather than a multiversal connection, as it'd open up interesting potentials for the future. I mean I don't mind multiversal stories per se but they can make things a bit more complicated compared to most of the contemporary Marvel / Sonyverse movies simply operating in a single, complete shared world where you could see Blade run into Morbius for example, and to reference the classic 90s Spider-Man arc, or see a symbiote powered ressurected Kilmonger to reference a more recent comic story.

I like the idea of Maguire / Garfield legacy movies being part of the multiverse but moving towards an everything's connected model going forward

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Dec 2021, 01:25

NWH Spoilers:
With the reveal at the mid-credits scene it kind of spoiled the one theory I had with the Sonyverse/MCU. I just kind of figured it was a Neflix/Hulu/AoS type of thing where "they're connected but we don't talk about it." Like "Yeah, Tom is in the same universe as Venom. Totally. Oh, you want to see them in a movie together? Uh..." in the same way we never saw anyone from any of the TV shows, including post-return Coulson, pop into the movies. So somehow Michael Keaton's Vulture was the thing that tied it all together...

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 31 Mar 2022, 19:56

"We want Morbius!"

"We have Morbius at home!"

<Puts on "The Brain Of Morbius" DVD & there is much rejoicing.>

Cable

Post by Cable » 01 Apr 2022, 10:23

I just looked up the Rotten Tomato score. Ouch...

It's better than Elektra though!
Best Comics of Week 39

X-titles: Gambit #3 by Chris Claremont (3) and Sid Kotian (2)
Non-X titles: Captain America Symbol of Truth #5 by Tochi Onyebuchi (2) and RB Silva (2)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

P-90

Post by P-90 » 01 Apr 2022, 18:03

I've seen some people saying that the movie itself was okay, not great but not that bad either. Most seem to agree in their dislike for the end credits scene though.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 02 Apr 2022, 11:39

I saw it last night. Overall it wasn't great. The beginning was interesting enough, except maybe that opening scene - I'm not sure how that fit into anything. About 1/3 the way through, it started to fall apart narratively. The last 1/3 was just weak. And those post-credit scenes were indeed garbage.

Having been a Midnight Sons fan in my youth, I felt like I was doing my due diligence paying tribute by watching this. Maybe I'll give it a rewatch some years from now, but who knows.

Has a sequel been greenlit, do we know? Marvel Studios seems to be building toward some Midnight Sons-adjacent storyline, though I'm not sure how/if Sony might play ball.

End-credit spoilers:
Is this the same universe that Tom Hardy's Venom is in? Are we to infer that Vulture materialized in that universe, and not the MCU proper? Idk, so much was so unclear...
he / him

📖: Morrison's New X-Men | DnA's Cosmic Saga | Hickman's New/Avengers & Secret Wars | Dawn/Reign/Destiny Of X
📺: Guardians | Black Panther | Ragnarok | Infinity War/Endgame | WandaVision | Loki | No Way Home | Multiverse Of Madness

grief

Post by grief » 06 Apr 2022, 14:19

Ya'll, I'm not gonna lie - I loved this.

Is is an ORIGINAL movie? No. If you've seen a vampire movie, you've seen Morbius. If you've seen a superhero movie, you've seen Morbius. But in terms of taking Morbius outside of the Marvel Universe and telling a well-executed story? For the most part, I actually think that Sony succeeded. It was fast-paced, it never let itself slow down for introspection (and thank GOD for that), the visuals drew from the comics, and I had a blast. My only two real complaints is that end credits scene, which is absolutely garbage and of which I hope nothing comics, and the plot spoiler complaint:
Morbius not killing himself with the serum. He made two, one for him and one for Lucien, the idea of which was to kill Lucien and then kill himself. But Morbius doesn't kill himself, nor are we presented with an explanation for WHY he didn't do it.
My podcast, Comic Book Breakdown, updates Thursdays at https://comicbookbreakdown.libsyn.com/

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Apr 2022, 20:28

This is the worst vampire film I’ve ever seen and that includes the time I watched half of Twilight.
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 03 Jun 2022, 12:59

Okay, I'll be the one to bring it up here: This...this is coming back??

https://gizmodo.com/morbius-theaters-ja ... 1849011149
he / him

📖: Morrison's New X-Men | DnA's Cosmic Saga | Hickman's New/Avengers & Secret Wars | Dawn/Reign/Destiny Of X
📺: Guardians | Black Panther | Ragnarok | Infinity War/Endgame | WandaVision | Loki | No Way Home | Multiverse Of Madness

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Jun 2022, 04:43

This is what y'all get for memeing it so hard. It's been revived.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Jun 2022, 00:38

It had a terrible Friday night... To no one's surprise.
Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 08 Sep 2022, 00:07

Now that it's finally on Netflix, I got around to watching it. Am I the only one who thought Matt Smith's vampire face looked a lot like Bloodscream?