Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-men: The Gifted

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
LockheedAndLoaded

Re: X-men: The Gifted

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 21 Nov 2017, 06:44

I loved this episode. It's references on references on references and just so much going on.

Also, I guess they have leftover Kick. I can feel a riot brewing...
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Nov 2017, 00:43

Whenever Carmen Calls Polaris "Magnet Girl", I think of the Farscape episode with Zam Wesell.
I hope Dr. Campbell is injured enough to become a harpoon-slingin' cyborg!

medium13

Post by medium13 » 28 Nov 2017, 18:36

I was kind of watching this and kind of making dinner, but I think I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Seems like a real story is building and I think the Hounds as a program is interesting subject matter. It was interesting to see the parallel stories unfold as well with the different conflicts the main groups of characters are facing, especially given the last episode where everyone seemed to ignore that literally everyone at the hideout is a fugitive from justice. I digress.

Some thoughts:
I hope Fenris makes an appearance as well somehow de-aged. Seems to be likely as they spent a good deal of time shoiwwng them on screen.
Was it explained why Pulse wasn't able to terminate Grandpa's powers? Is the Dad Strucker also really a mutant and will his powers return?
More Esme! But less lines like, "I'm a telepath and I've been hearing weird thoughts from that one".
I actually did feel like I can't wait to watch the next episode after this one, which has not happened before. The show is still a little cheesy but fun. I also can't seem to get over that Dad Strucker is married to Rogue. It pops into my head every episode.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Nov 2017, 19:23

Wait there was an episode last night? My DVR skipped it. :(
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Cable

Post by Cable » 28 Nov 2017, 19:27

Yeah I didn't watch because the schedule said no episode last night!
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 28 Nov 2017, 19:31

I don't think there was anything last night. Medium seems to be talking about the episode that aired on the 20th.
medium13 wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 18:36
Was it explained why Pulse wasn't able to terminate Grandpa's powers?
Otto said that their family was "different". I guess because they are so powerful, he was able to overcome Pulse's powers.
medium13 wrote:
Is the Dad Strucker also really a mutant and will his powers return?
I interpreted it as Reed being a latent mutant. He is for sure an x-gene carrier but his father serum permanently supressed his abilities before they manifested. I don't think Reed will get his powers naturally but since Kick seems to be based on Otto Strucker's work, I wouldn't be surprised if Reed taking it would result in the "cure" being negated enabling his powers to manifest. I guess we'll have to wait and see where they go with his character.

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 28 Nov 2017, 20:39

medium13 wrote:
. I also can't seem to get over that Dad Strucker is married to Rogue. It pops into my head every episode.
Married to Rogue? I don't follow.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 28 Nov 2017, 20:41

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 20:39
medium13 wrote:
. I also can't seem to get over that Dad Strucker is married to Rogue. It pops into my head every episode.
Married to Rogue? I don't follow.
The actor for Reed Strucker is married to Anna Paquin.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

medium13

Post by medium13 » 28 Nov 2017, 20:53

Yeah, sorry. I watched this on HULU last night. I never watch TV in real time except Game of Thrones. WWWade interpreted my Rogue comment correctly as well.

I predict Reed will either take Kick and manifest powers of his own or that his father has somehow transferred them back to him upon death.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 29 Nov 2017, 06:32

I think that Grandpa Strucker was able to to resist Pulse's powers because he genetically tampered with himself. He mentions that "we" (I took this to be the Struckers) are different, and if this show is as consistent about dog whistling comic book storylines we should look into, it makes sense to me something about Grandpa Strucker's genetics may be different from your run-of-the-mill mutant.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 29 Nov 2017, 15:24

Yeah, I understood Pulse's powers not working on him to mean it was similar to the comics, in that Fenris were genetically altered in utero. Not technically "mutants", but close enough that with enough dilution (generations) it would eventually work, like on the kids.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 30 Nov 2017, 06:01

I really liked the latest episode. It was nice to have the Fenris story laid out, and the intro of Esme was welcome. I wonder if we'll see the whole Five-in-One. I'm not loving this take on Polaris, and I want Blink to be a bit more...exciting. The show needs more color. Their clothing is all so dull and boring. I can't help compare it to Runaways or the Netflix series or Legion, where they infuse color where necessary. Even the locations in this show are boring. But the writing is definitely improving.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 30 Nov 2017, 14:35

I've been thinking. Choosing Esme as the Cuckoo to introduce, and doing it in an episode about enemies infiltrating the team, can't be coincidence, right?

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 30 Nov 2017, 15:06

And an episode with kick...

Though it's entirely a toss up in my mind whether any of this has significance, or if they just Googled young telepath and saw the name Esme so picked it as an Easter egg.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg » 04 Dec 2017, 03:17

I watched all the episodes this past week and I really really really wanna like it but it’s so boring. There are too many characters. No one central driving point. Acting is good. Effects are good. But it is less than the sum of its parts. I feel like it’s just going through the motions.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Dec 2017, 11:28

Boring? Wow, couldn’t disagree more lol...the ensemble focus is actually why I like it compared to the Wolveribe-centric X-Men movies. And the driving points are being hated and feared, and family.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 04 Dec 2017, 19:26

Yeah, I feel like having a lot of characters is a good thing, especially for longevity. If it was just one driving character/force, when it was resolved they'd be rudderless. This way, we get little snippets of history for a bunch of people that they can come back to later.

Edit: Some thoughts on Esme:
Spoiler: show
What better way to ingratiate your real spy with a group than to have her out an already withdrawing fake one with a blatantly obvious tattoo?

ev82

Post by ev82 » 05 Dec 2017, 03:22

I met Emma Dumont this weekend at a con and she was absolutely wonderful. She is so excited to play Polaris (especially being Magneto's daughter). I asked her how she prepared for the role and she said they gave all of them subscriptions to Marvel Unlimited and I totally suggested to her that she read the mid early to mid 2000's run with crazy purple costume Lorna. I already enjoyed this show but meeting her made me more excited for it.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Dec 2017, 04:24

That's really cool ev82.

I suspect after tonight's episode that Esme is not actually a spy but that she is just desperate to get her "family" back together because she can't stand being out of the hivemind for too long.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 05 Dec 2017, 05:03

How insane would Xorn in season 2 be?

Cable

Post by Cable » 05 Dec 2017, 12:06

In my opinion this show has really stepped up the last couple of episodes. Before that I felt it was a fairly by-the-numbers network tv show, albeit a good one that reflected important topical issues. But now it is starting to break the mold a bit and come into its own with some interesting developments, not to mention some fun comic book references. I hope the finale has some surprises and doesn't just wrap everything up with a bow.

Anna Raven wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 04:24
I suspect after tonight's episode that Esme is not actually a spy but that she is just desperate to get her "family" back together because she can't stand being out of the hivemind for too long.
I would be surprised if they did the Cuckoos. Just from a technical standpoint of how difficult it would be. Unless Skyler Samuels in real-life has triplet sisters lol
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Dec 2017, 15:54

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 05:03
How insane would Xorn in season 2 be?

That would be AMAZING...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Dec 2017, 18:08

I actually really like how they integrate the X-mythos into the show. It does so in a very organic way...in some ways this show has made a more living and breathing X-world than the films have done in a decade or more.

I really hope this series gets a second season. And I hope it does keep the core of Thunderbird, Eclipse, and Polaris but even can expand out beyond them. I've even grown to like the kids alil...I like the mom the most. Bill, I mean the dad, he can die though.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Dec 2017, 19:09

Dad's big problem is that every once in a while he gets nervous and blurt's out something like "hey wouldn't it be cool if you kids didn't use your powers?" But then when they use them they do things like get arrested, sooooo...

Cable

Post by Cable » 05 Dec 2017, 19:28

I didn't like the kids until they became Fenris (oh the irony...)

I wonder if Eclipse was originally meant to be Sunspot but they changed it because of the New Mutants film. It would have worked well as that character especially with the Hellfire connection