Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-men: The Gifted

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Anna Raven

Re: X-men: The Gifted

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Aug 2018, 20:34

das_boot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 17:03
I still think Mama Strucker is a mutant.

Every mutant she interacts with for the first time or she’s around for a while keep saying things like “I didn’t know I could do that” or exceed previously established limits on their abilities. I think she’s a Fabian Cortez but doesn’t realise it.
Which would be weird because isn't that what Sage does as well?
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Aug 2018, 20:46

Not in The Gifted. So far we’ve only seen her have a computer-like brain. I’m hoping we see more of the perfect muscle-memory thing or telepathy in season two, but i’m totally cool with them cutting the nonsensical jump start power
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Sep 2018, 11:17

SEASON TWO IS HERE!
Spoiler: show
We open with the Hellfire Club’s inner circle meeting. Must admit, I’m not familiar with Reeva so I wasn’t sure if that was her power or not. Anyway, that’s a hell of a power play she just made, essentially making the Cuckoos and herself the Inner Circle.

The X-Men/Not X-Men save a bunch of folk from Sentinel Services and it appears that they’re operating under the radar and allowing everyone to assume they’re dead. Reed and Caitlin are working at a hospital and have a secret lab, which, whatever’s your kink.

Lauren has a dream about Andy and she’s still totally having PTSD about their combined destructive potential. Blink and Thunderbird are still together and I dig this relationship. Marcos has been contacting a mutant with cyberpathy to try and find information about Lorna’s whereabouts and Caitlin goes with him and is shot, but she’s okay. Actually, she’s a bit of a bad ass and i’m still suffering cognitive dissonance that Fred from Angel is now old enough to realistically play the mother of teenagers but thats another issue.

Lorna makes Andy promise her that he’ll do “anything” to protect her baby if Reeva and the Cuckoos have to make a choice between her and the baby. The Cuckoos and Sage hijack a munitions factory to build Lorna’s birthing space. They build a very sci-fi cube for the birth.

Reed gets a call from John telling him that Caitlin’s been shot. His hearing goes funny and he gets some weird black and red veins on his arm and then calms it down. He was seen taking pills before that, so I’m GUESSING he’s been experimenting with drugs to see if he can get his suppressed powers to surface, but it’s not explicitly stated, nor do I understand how a lawyer would have the necessary medical knowledge to figure out how to undo something that was done to him at a genetic level, but THATS FINE.

He turns up at their apartment, Lauren yells at the pair of them about how Andy left THEM and wasn’t “taken” as they both keep saying.

Marcos calls Reed and Caitlin after experiencing power surges. It’s happening all over DC and Caitlin intuits thag it’s Lorna having contractions which causes this (oh, yeah, earlier we’ve seen that her powers are fluctuating and flaring up due to the baby kicking etc).

The not X-Men drive like lunatics to try and find Lorna, with John being able to follow the electricity (???). Meanwhile, Lorna isn’t fully dialated because she has a mental block (I’m dubious that this is true biology but okay), so the Cuckoos give her a vision of a utopian mutant future and she’s good to go.

The power surges stop, leaving the Not X-Men stuck for where to go. For some reason, Marcos assumes this means that Lorna and his baby are dead.

They are not. The baby is called Dawn.
Flippancy aside, I enjoyed this episode. The budget is clearly higher, there’s still the obvious split from the last season which, at this point, I’m not confident will be addressed and wrapped up this season, but will be ongoing, which I’m okay with.

However, and this is going to sound like such a minor issue but like... wardrobe department. Let’s talk. I’m okay with the Not X-Men not having the best costumes. They SHOULD look a little shabby and on the run. And for the most part? The Hellfire Club look like they’re wearing expensive clothes.

Except for Sage. The one scene she’s in, it’s very pronounced due to her being next to the very well groomed and styled Cuckoos. It genuinely looks as though the actor turned up on set wearing something she’d wear for a few drinks with her girlfriends, and they just looked at her, shrugged and said “good enough”.

NO. Give me Sage with her leather jackets and weird clothes, don’t give me a basic bitch with a black and grey leopard print t-shirt and jeans when she’s standing next to a group of women who always wear almost vintage “first lady-esque” clothes. Just no. If Sage is part of the Hellfire Club, style her as the part. UGH.

Also, my theory about Mama Strucker being a mutant and not knowing about it still holds. There’s a girl who’s powers spiked around her, and while YES it could be due to her being in pain, this brings us to like... 9 incidents by my count where a mutant’s powers have become stronger or a mutant’s had more stamina for prolonged use of their powers in her presence/after being around her for a little while. I’ll be sitting here wearing my tinfoil hat until I’m proven wrong because 9 incidents is way too much to be a coincidence.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 26 Sep 2018, 16:31

So, one thing I thought was really interesting here: We will probably never see any A-List X-Men characters in this show or see them discussed in any meaningful way, but that doesn't mean the writers aren't doing excellent homework. Two reasons why.
Spoiler: show
For one thing: other than Reeva Payge no longer being a white woman (not a loss/big change in this case since the character was around for like one issue), this was a great way to flesh out a character who was otherwise just an extra for one issue. Her powers were accurately portrayed (though I'm not sure why the Cuckoos were immune to them?) and I think it's a fun and interesting tidbit that the Cuckoos are referred to as Reeva's "girls" and "pets". I think the writers have grafted Emma's early relationship with the Cuckoos onto Ms. Payge, and I'd keep my eye on Esme with respect to their dear leader. It's too early to say, but I'm predicting major Cuckoos drama and yet another HFC betrayal.

Another thing? The opening scene pays light homage (in my opinion) to Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw's coup to overtake the Inner Circle from X-Men Classic (one of my personal favorite issues). You'll recall that Emma and Shaw's ascension basically relied on a mass shooting as well.

I think it's interesting how this show is playing with our emotions, by the way. The way they whiplash us between sympathy for / agreement with / revulsion toward the Hellfire Club is really something! I particularly loved how Reeva went from trying to nurture Lorna to being like, "Yes, I'm ABSOLUTELY a goddamned murderer", to "remember what we're fighting for, I want to make a better world, and I'm your ally ;)" in the span of mere seconds.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Sep 2018, 17:35

A power inhibitor collar sure would’ve come in handy whilst Polaris was giving birth. Dawn Dane is alliterative enough to be a superheroine’s secret identity, although Aurora Dane sounds classier.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... baby-boom/

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Sep 2018, 18:24

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 17:35
A power inhibitor collar sure would’ve come in handy whilst Polaris was giving birth. Dawn Dane is alliterative enough to be a superheroine’s secret identity, although Aurora Dane sounds classier.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... baby-boom/
They had a sci-fi birthing cube. Also, wouldn’t an inhibitor collar have just zapped her every time she unwillingly used her powers? Either way, I don’t REALLY understand why they didn’t just anaesthetise her and give her a c-section 🤷‍♂️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Sep 2018, 21:07

The power inhibitor collars didn't need to shock their wearers in Deadpool 2. The scifi birthing cube didn't seem to do anything. You're right that the anesthesia & c-section would've been the best route.
I also agree the wardrobe is the weakest part of the series (& Marvel shows in general).

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Sep 2018, 21:42

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 21:07
The power inhibitor collars didn't need to shock their wearers in Deadpool 2. The scifi birthing cube didn't seem to do anything. You're right that the anesthesia & c-section would've been the best route.
I also agree the wardrobe is the weakest part of the series (& Marvel shows in general).
I don’t think the wardrobe is weak overall. I actually think that they did a great job of differentiating between the haves and the have nots (other than Lauren who is apparently the only character in the underground who has access to hair care and nice clothes), other than Sage. Literally, give us SOME visual cues. Leather jackets. Asymmetrical clothing. SOMETHING OTHER THAN CLOTHES THAT IT LOOKS LIKE THE ACTOR LITERALLY SHOWED UP IN ON SET THAT DAY.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 26 Sep 2018, 23:15

Sage and Lauren do stand out compared to the rest of their factions. It's almost like they're swapped. However, personally, I was more bothered by them talking about Lorna's powers flaring up and the dangers of that whilst having Reeva and the Cuckoos wearing a ton of metal accessories such as earrings, belt buckles, the hardware in their boots, etc. They seem to have remembered that when Lorna started giving birth and Reeva finally took the earrings off, but those things should have ever been on in the first place.

Getting past the clothes (but on the same topic of Lorna's powers), I kept being confused by their plan, specifically by how many things were wrong with it:

- Having had 6 months to prepare for the birth, they waited until the last minute to find a place for it;
- That place they find is a multi story building made of concrete which they gloat about as if it's smart and immune to Lorna's powers, except such building would have a metal skeleton supporting it which means a supercharged Lorna can potentially bring the whole thing down;
- Not only can Lorna affect the structure, it has fences, tubing, shelves, forklifts, etc, all made of metal... aka nice projectiles for Lorna;
- On top of that it's an ammunition warehouse, meaning it's full to the brim with explosive substances enveloped by metal... nothing can go wrong there;
- And how do they get the place... they pay one officer to evacuate and not rat them out... again gloating they could easily use their powers but they won't, even though that makes it easy for the guy to double cross them and/or for someone else to be suspicious of the nice metal briefcase he suddenly got and check the security tapes.

All I'm left with is ... WHY? Why that building? It's not like they even relocated there on time (Lorna was still on the Hellfire HQ when she started having contractions meaning they had to transport her there. Speaking off, how did they do that? By car? That's dangerous considering what we saw previously. They had to rush her last minute and they weren't ready. Why not get a nice secluded wooden house away from the city? Not only would it be much nicer place, it would be easier to eliminate any big metal structures around her, plus she wouldn't be able to affect the city grid like she did.

This episode only served to convince me that Reeva Payge and the Cuckoos are idiots and the Hellfire Club is a joke considering how easily they were taken down by someone so dumb. A shame considering Esme came off really well last season.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 27 Sep 2018, 00:45

The biggest plot hole for me is with Reed. Are his powers finally manifesting naturally? Are the pills he was taking meant to mean that he was throwing chemicals at himself to see if he can kick start his mutation? Or, as I suspect may be the case, is this the appearance of MGH in the Marvel universe?
ASPIRING WRITERS!

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 27 Sep 2018, 13:35

See, I kind of got the opposite impression about Reed. I know it could easily go either way, but I felt like it was his his powers finally manifesting naturally, and the pills were some kind of sedative or something he was using to try to suppress them.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Sep 2018, 16:07

Yeah. When Reeva was like "It's all stone and concrete :)" I was like "Gurl. You grew up poor in Chicago. I know you've seen exposed rebar in concrete." A giant concrete building was not the place to be.

As far as Reed, I took the scene to mean his powers are now manifesting and he's trying to self-medicate to stop it. His stress levels caused by Andy's departure has his powers flaring.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 28 Sep 2018, 14:34

I'm inclined to agree with EphX about Reed. While it's unlikely that Reed would have the medical knowledge to reverse the manifestation of his powers, it's perfectly likely that in light of them starting to manifest in some way, Reed would know that a lot of mutant "outbreaks" are precipitated by extreme stress. Those drugs he's taking could be something as simple as anti-anxiety medication tbh.

As for why his powers would just now be manifesting? PLOT INDUCED TRANSFORMATION, yeah, but also, I've always kind of assumed that mutant powers manifested with nature/nurture as factors, so maybe being surrounded by mutants and aware that he himself is one is unlocking his gifts. Or maybe he's just never felt trauma quite like what he's experiencing now in his adult life, and it's creating the perfect reaction for his powers to surge.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 29 Sep 2018, 20:06

InsipidLust wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 14:34
I'm inclined to agree with EphX about Reed. While it's unlikely that Reed would have the medical knowledge to reverse the manifestation of his powers, it's perfectly likely that in light of them starting to manifest in some way, Reed would know that a lot of mutant "outbreaks" are precipitated by extreme stress. Those drugs he's taking could be something as simple as anti-anxiety medication tbh.

As for why his powers would just now be manifesting? PLOT INDUCED TRANSFORMATION, yeah, but also, I've always kind of assumed that mutant powers manifested with nature/nurture as factors, so maybe being surrounded by mutants and aware that he himself is one is unlocking his gifts. Or maybe he's just never felt trauma quite like what he's experiencing now in his adult life, and it's creating the perfect reaction for his powers to surge.

OR his wife’s powers are so strong that they’re forcing his out now that she’s in regular contact with actually powered mutants (no, I will NEVER drop the “Mama strucker’s a mutant” schtick)
ASPIRING WRITERS!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 02 Oct 2018, 21:10

Since they namedropped the Mutant Liberation Front last season, do you think'll they appear? I need Dragoness on my TV!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Oct 2018, 07:33

There were a lot of clips tonight.
It’s nice they acknowledged the Strucker kids vaporized several people last finale.
Apparently the strong bald mutie is Bulk not Blockbuster, Sunder, Strong Guy, or Slab.
Reeva mentioned the other Hellfire Club Queen who immediately fell into obscurity, Benazair Kaur.
Reed is manifesting the biological equivalent of the Satan Claw?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 03 Oct 2018, 17:15

Don't forget Erg's approaching 15 minutes of fame.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 03 Oct 2018, 20:46

This was a well-done episode in my opinion, although the product placement was a bit heavy-handed for my liking. Not sure if anyone else noticed.

- Loved the mention of Benazir Kaur.
- Grace Byers is lovely as Reeva Payge.
- That "wetworks" scene with the Cuckoos was genuinely stressful and I was genuinely worried about what I was about to see on my television, despite this being network television.
- I'm not surprised that it's Esme of all the girls who is showing some differentiation from her sisters. What I am surprised about is how that differentiation is playing out. Shades of Emma are there, it seems.
- Caitlin Strucker has improved somewhat as a character, and thank goodness.
- I'll echo that Sage is perpetually underdressed. Girl, what the hell.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 04 Oct 2018, 00:04

Clearly Reed is going to turn out to be Decay, lol.

Err, not Decay. I meant Wither.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Oct 2018, 10:18

-agree with Sage. How is it so hard to get her wardrobe right? GIRL. BLACK. LEATHER. GO. NOW.
- Reeva is a nuanced and weirdly moral villain. The only critique I have is that I don’t feel like we NEED a villain with a solid moral compass. It irks me somewhat that out of the Inner Circle in terms of heavy hitters we have The Cuckoos (who are clearly about to fracture so...), Polaris (on maternity leave), and Andy. The rest... not so much. Get them a Boom-Boom. Get them someone with destructive potential that matches Andy’s and Lorna’s. AND FOR THE LOVE OF SATAN GET LORNA A BETTER WIG. Get her Adore’s entrance wig from Season 6.
-I’m glad they actually referenced that Lauren’s suffering PTSD. She killed people and her actual power is genuinely a defensive one. Of COURSE she doesn’t really want to reunite with Andy. Being the big gun in the underground’s arsenal is a big ask.
-Sentinel services guy is totally going to go vigilante. Either that or he’s going to start helping the Underground.
-Reed’s power irritates me. So it’s basically Andy and Lauren’s combined power but based on touch?
-MAMA STRUCKER IS STILL A MUTANT, HOW DID ECLIPSE’S POWER GET STRONG ENOUGH TO BE A CITY-SPANNING SEARCHLIGHT/LORNA-SIGNAL. Also she’s going to be PISSED when she realises her husband is now a mutant and has broken his wedding ring.
- Vange should have been a bit more goth. But I liked her here. I’ve decided to interpret her as the Analogue to Jessica Jones’s Jerry Hogarth.

Overall, I’m glad they gave new characters development early this season, but aside from Thunderbird, it felt like it came at the expense of the old cast. Lauren and Andy had some nice character beats, but the rest just kind of fell flat. Even Mama and Papa Strucker CLEARLY at the brink of breaking up didn’t interest me that much because I just don’t rate Stephen Moyer as an actor.
-Nice little set up/tease of the Morlocks and the Purifiers though.
-Also, all the special effects in this show and they bail on a decent photoshop job on the Strucker family photos? Really? Unintentionally hilarious
ASPIRING WRITERS!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Oct 2018, 15:56

See, I was interpreting Reed's power as a super-heated touch. It looked to me like his ring boiled off and the concrete disintegrated. The concrete blocks have glowing bits and scorch marks like it had been hit with a high powered torch.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Oct 2018, 19:51

EphemeristX wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 15:56
See, I was interpreting Reed's power as a super-heated touch. It looked to me like his ring boiled off and the concrete disintegrated. The concrete blocks have glowing bits and scorch marks like it had been hit with a high powered torch.

Okay, i’ll allow this. But still. I don’t like him.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Oct 2018, 20:38

das_boot wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 19:51
EphemeristX wrote:

SOOKEH!!
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Oct 2018, 20:44

Anna Raven wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 20:38
das_boot wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 19:51
EphemeristX wrote:

SOOKEH!!
100% the reason I stopped watching True Blood. Bill was meant to be a beautiful man.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Oct 2018, 03:48

das_boot wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 20:06
InsipidLust wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 14:34

OR his wife’s powers are so strong that they’re forcing his out now that she’s in regular contact with actually powered mutants (no, I will NEVER drop the “Mama strucker’s a mutant” schtick)
I don't think she's going to be a mutant. It's a little lame for every good guy in this show to be a mutant and every human has been bad so far. There needs to be someone to show that co-ecistence is possible.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya