Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

X-men: The Gifted

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
WorldWideWade

X-men: The Gifted

Post by WorldWideWade » 03 Oct 2017, 16:44

What does everyone think about the show?

My impression was that it was done well but has more of the same tone from the movies. Since I mostly like Bryan Singer's vision, I was okay with that. The Sentinels were cool and they weren't too stingy with the usage of the super powers. I kind of like Thunderbird so I hope they don't "Thunderbird" him too soon. Polaris seems pretty cool too but I need a little more time with her to determine if they are going to go full bipolar with her character or not.

The family is pretty vanilla, but fine. I can't tell if I get annoyed with the brother because of the acting or whether the acting is good and I get annoyed with an accurate portrayal of a teenager. Regardless, it seems that the sister has a telekinesis in the form of density increasing through pulling molecules closer together and the brother has a telekinesis of strongly repelling molecules apart. Hopefully they explain the powers soon, but if my theory is correct I think it is interesting to have two similar but opposite powers within these two siblings. It may also mirror their personalities since the girl seems pretty sociable and the boy is isolated.

I'll definitely keep watching and I hope the quality doesn't drastically drop now that Singer is no longer directing.
Exiles Draft: Spider-gwen, Stormborn, Wolverine (Lee), Iron Maiden, Captain America 2099, Ultimate Captain America

EphemeristX

Re: X-men: The Gifted

Post by EphemeristX » 03 Oct 2017, 17:15

I like it. It has some good action and does well despite its dollar-store versions of characters. I'm going to geek out for every little nod to comic continuity. Like, I saw images of
Spoiler: show
(Beautiful) Dreamer
in an upcoming episode and I couldn't help but be a little excited, even though they're totally D-List.

Plot-wise, it feels like they're moving forward with developments and they didn't just spend an hour doing set-up. Network shows have a recurring problem with this, so it was nice to see progression.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Oct 2017, 17:55

There was also the quick cameo of Shatter in this episode. I was more kind of chuckling about the Dallas area cameos myself, like putting the detention center in Garland. I was sad they made up the high school though "Bellevue" - which I think was a nod to the infamous "Bellevue Asylum" in NYC.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Oct 2017, 21:04

I don’t need guest appearances by any of the films’ casts (I hear Vampire Bill knows a girl…), but I would like something to suggest that it’s not just going to be broodier Heroes with some licensed names attached. Matt Nix’s script is solid, but the problem is it’s so mundane in the wake of the mind-bending Legion.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... he-gifted/

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 04 Oct 2017, 12:58

I enjoyed the fan service in this episode, like Marcos' ringtone and the painting in the bar.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 04 Oct 2017, 13:20

@ EMP: did you watch the preview for next week's episode? RE: the "Forge building the sentinels". They (I think it was Eclipse) said that there are mutants working for Sentinel Services.

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 04 Oct 2017, 14:30

I'm still on the fence about this show. I would definitely watch a show about Polaris's band of mutants. I really wasn't feeling the Strucker family elements of the show, though. Hopefully it'll grow in me as they develop the show further.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

xx mistah

Post by xx mistah » 04 Oct 2017, 19:06

Not much time these days due to school but glad I saw this. I liked it for many of the reasons above (including XM:TAS theme ringtone!) and thought their choice of mutants led by Polaris an interesting choice. I purposely did not read about the show beforehand so I could just get first impressions from the first episode. Agreed on the more boring aspects coming from the Strucker family dynamics, seemed a little predictable. The mutant resistance = obivously my favorite. I hope they keep showing us powers/this is not just a first episode kind of thing.

Did anyone think of Wild sentinel proto types when seeing this show's sentinels?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 04 Oct 2017, 21:23

sambadaemon wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 13:20
@ EMP: did you watch the preview for next week's episode? RE: the "Forge building the sentinels". They (I think it was Eclipse) said that there are mutants working for Sentinel Services.
Yup. It could mean Forge, but it could also be Hounds given Ahab will appear.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Oct 2017, 00:42

The fenris wolf drawing was my fave easter egg.

I kinda wanted Fred to stake Bill Compton...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 05 Oct 2017, 03:53

Me too.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 05 Oct 2017, 13:58

Fenris wolf drawing? I must have missed that one.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Oct 2017, 14:23

sambadaemon wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:58
Was it in the bar? I thought it was a wolverine...
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 05 Oct 2017, 14:33

Anna Raven wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:23
sambadaemon wrote:

Maybe? I thought it was a wolverine, too.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Oct 2017, 14:55

sambadaemon wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:33
Anna Raven wrote:
sambadaemon wrote:

At the beginning, Andy is drawing a wolf in his notebook at school...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 05 Oct 2017, 15:01

Blackcyclops wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:55
sambadaemon wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:33
Anna Raven wrote:

At the beginning, Andy is drawing a wolf in his notebook at school...

Ooooh. Yeah, I totally missed that. I'll have to watch again.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 05 Oct 2017, 15:48

I thought this was okay. In terms of fan service, use of the Stryker's is the weakest piece since these two don't seem to have any counterparts. Worldwidewade, I like your assessment of what is probably going on with the two teenage children. I don't think this is pulling me into watching it religiously. The characters are bland and I'm not a fan of the developing subplots with Polaris. I'll keep watching for now, but I generally disagree with the reviews that claimed this to be the superior X show to FX's Legion.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Oct 2017, 16:02

medium13 wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 15:48
I thought this was okay. In terms of fan service, use of the Stryker's is the weakest piece since these two don't seem to have any counterparts. Worldwidewade, I like your assessment of what is probably going on with the two teenage children. I don't think this is pulling me into watching it religiously. The characters are bland and I'm not a fan of the developing subplots with Polaris. I'll keep watching for now, but I generally disagree with the reviews that claimed this to be the superior X show to FX's Legion.
Oh, it's not Stryker its Strucker. As in the Strucker twins. So they do have counterparts in a way, but they are radically different (unless they wind up going evil - I could see maybe the boy doing that but not the girl).

And I don't know who was claiming it was superior to Legion but that's complete nonsense.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 05 Oct 2017, 16:29

Oh is it! Haha I almost looked it up to see if I didn't recall the name correctly and decided I didn't care enough to.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Oct 2017, 03:27

I attribute Polaris's green hair entirely to my vociferous complaining instead of something they were going to do anyway.
I liked the second episode more.
Who were ginger & marble mutie?
What if the Argentine twins Ahab looked up are the real Fenris & Reed's parents?

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 10 Oct 2017, 04:00

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 03:27
I attribute Polaris's green hair entirely to my vociferous complaining instead of something they were going to do anyway.
I liked the second episode more.
Who were ginger & marble mutie?
What if the Argentine twins Ahab looked up are the real Fenris & Reed's parents?
The ginger was Beautiful Dreamer. The "marble" prisoner doesn't seem to have a counterpart in the comics (the credits listed her as "porcelain mutant").

As for the "Argentine twins" I might have missed something but where did you get their nationality and that they were twins? Ahab only said "siblings". The text on the screen did say brother and sister but I couldn't make out anything else.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Oct 2017, 04:55

They weren't Argentinian though were they? The incident was in Rio, which is in Brazil. I think it has something to do with Eclipse, like they are going to reveal Sunspot is his brother.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Oct 2017, 08:37

The lady playing Lorna makes me think of the love child of Willa Holland and Elizabeth Olsen. This is distracting.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Oct 2017, 10:06

Anna Raven wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 04:55
They weren't Argentinian though were they? The incident was in Rio, which is in Brazil. I think it has something to do with Eclipse, like they are going to reveal Sunspot is his brother.
You're right. Why did my mind substitute Buenos Aires for Rio?

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 10 Oct 2017, 13:02

_Rick_ wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 04:00
As for the "Argentine twins" I might have missed something but where did you get their nationality and that they were twins? Ahab only said "siblings". The text on the screen did say brother and sister but I couldn't make out anything else.
I paused on the screen with the newspaper article and was able to make out the words twins, blonde, and blue eyes. The rest of the text was either illegible or non-identifying. I also think it probably refers to the real Fenris.
Exiles Draft: Spider-gwen, Stormborn, Wolverine (Lee), Iron Maiden, Captain America 2099, Ultimate Captain America