Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Dark Phoenix

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
LimboMaster

Re: X-Men Dark Phoenix

Post by LimboMaster » 20 Jun 2019, 17:16

Anna Raven wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 02:13
Havok was barely in it, but Angel didn't show up until Apocalypse. Havok was a much bigger player in First Class. The villain in DoFP was Trask and the Sentinels, but also Magneto to some extent.
Well technically Angel was introduced in X3 (and his father sponsored creation of the mutant cure), but don't know if you're counting that since DoFP erased that continuity.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 20 Jun 2019, 17:41

Cable wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 14:03
I didn't watch this movie, but from the first page of this thread:
Cable wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 23:40
If the Shi'ar are in this movie I will eat my hat
Can someone confirm that I do not need to do this?
Lol. Good sport, holding yourself accountable.
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Jun 2019, 18:41

LimboMaster wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 17:16
Anna Raven wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 02:13
Havok was barely in it, but Angel didn't show up until Apocalypse. Havok was a much bigger player in First Class. The villain in DoFP was Trask and the Sentinels, but also Magneto to some extent.
Well technically Angel was introduced in X3 (and his father sponsored creation of the mutant cure), but don't know if you're counting that since DoFP erased that continuity.
I was assuming NuD was referring to the post DoFP continuity only.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 22 Jun 2019, 03:22

But Angel Salvadore is in First Class!
Cable's hat dodged a belly.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 03 Sep 2019, 22:21

So, I finally got around to seeing this…. and I don't know what to think. It was entertaining enough while watching it, but underwhelming in the end. The novelty of seeing mutant powers brought to live with CGI has worn off, so it comes back to the storyline (and its underlying message) and the actors' performances to make this something worthwhile or not. Agreed, Sophie Turner did a decent job, maybe even better than Famke Janssen, and the screen presence of Fassbender and Avoy is undeniable, but that wasn't enough to hide the fact that the storyline is lacking.

This odd mix between the D'Bari and Crimson/the Ravens from X-Factor (1st series) #54-58 didn't work for me. In the comics you can feel sorry for the D'Bari, here you can't. Before you even learn of their world being dimished, you see them kill innocent humans. At the same time, they didn't come across as actually threatening or menacing, as the only one to get any characterization was their leader. The movie spent too much time bothering to explain why certain characters don't have a bigger role in it (injuries of Quicksilver and death of Mystique) or why other characters are part of it at all (Magneto). That screen time should actually have been used to slowly build up to Jean losing control and also on the people closest to Jean (her teammates, most of all Storm and Cyclops) and showing their conflicted reactions to what was happening to her.

The biggest fail though, IMO, is the altered backstory for Jean. They gave her now the retconned origin of Polaris in that she accidentally killed a parent upon manifesting her powers, and they also tied it with the shadier, secretive side of Xavier. As a result, you get a young woman with abandonment issues who angrily lashes out after learning the truth. Her relatable anger seems to be the driving force here. She gets mad, she accidentally does something she can't take back and can't come back from. Despite the lack of emotional depths from JLaw's performace, as soon as Jean killed Mystique, it was clear that she had to pay for it. Mystique was not some nameless aliens, she was a mentor and mother figure that she killed. After that incident, you couldn't be rooting for Jean anymore, you just wished that somewould would contain her and help her.

The premise (and the strength) of the original Phoenix storyline was something different. There you had Jean - perfect Jean, who seemed like the sanest and most normal of the X-Men. She was decent, modest and kind and seemed to have it all. Unlike most of her teammates she had loving accepting parents, she was beautiful and had the guys drooling over her, she was fairly intellgient and she could easily pass for a baseline human. Now when she found herself with unlimited powers, she used them for good and managed to keep them contained… for a while. Yet over the course of several storylines, it turned out that not even the best of the best could resist the temptations and corruption that such power brings, and she eventually gave in, but in the end, her better nature prevailed and she ended herself as she knew she couldn't resist that power for long. That entire development was missing in the movie. Here it took only about 24 hours for Jean to lose it, and she only came around when someone else posed an even greater threat than she did.

I don't mind them taking another shot at the Dark Phoenix Story, but they should have done better than the first movie or at least tried to aim for a different angle... which they didn't. Instead they might have done better to do something original and similarly epic, like maybe a movie on the X-Tinction Agenda.

BTW, one of the weirdest things in the movie was Nightcrawler walking upright. For me that disrupted any scene he was in.
Last edited by Lavettye on 07 Sep 2019, 08:58, edited 5 times in total.
[PL_2.0]

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Sep 2019, 11:40

Lavettye wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 22:21
BTW, one of the weirdest things in the movie was Nightcrawler walking upright. For me that disrupted any scene he was in.
Right. Wouldn’t that make him Nightwalker?

Anyhow, this still isn’t available to rent on prime (only to buy), so I’m holding out longer. Not hard to do.
He/him/his

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 07 Sep 2019, 08:24

Well, this was....poor, very poor.
Let´s say you´re doing the Dark Phoenix saga, 129 to 137 of The Uncanny X Men series (1980)...Well, it doesn´t matter if you change the plot, but at least would be nice if you think about the fact you´re doing one of the most well known and better sagas in the world of comics...
But this changing of the story is not the worst :
Spoiler: show
1.Beast changing his form to a hairy blue guy: Terrible
2.Instead od his quartz glasses, Cyclops do normal life with a horrible big visor all the time...this kiddy cyclops of this movie
3.Xavier´s wheelchair is just so ugh! (3 wheels!)
4.Mystique and nightcrawler...they look so bad and weird
5.Xavier showing the inside of Jean´s mind to Hank and Mystique was so...ogh...Stupid?
People, this was a disaster, and why I give it a five out of ten?
Spoiler: show
1.Because of the song "Extraordinary Being" by Emily Sandé (even I didn´t hear it on the movie)
2.Sophie Turner is very beautiful, and she was a nice choice for Jean (Famken Janssen was too 15 years ago, but a clever guy thought he wrote better than Claremont and XMEN 3 is even worst than this one)
3.James McAvoy is technically John Romita Jr´s Proffesor X (not in the script of course where he is a drunken dude instead of a great superhero)
This is the kind of movie that harms a franchise of comics.
As an XMen aficionado for thirty years: Worthless!
Bye Bye Fox!
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 25 Mar 2020, 01:24

Free HBO trial to watch this.

In the first ten minutes, my first impression is that the costumes and makeup look like cosplay, and the CGI looks like, well, a video game.

Ugh. The script is awful. Acting too.
He/him/his

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 26 Mar 2020, 00:13

Lavettye wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 22:21

The biggest fail though, IMO, is the altered backstory for Jean. ...

The premise (and the strength) of the original Phoenix storyline was something different. ... it turned out that not even the best of the best could resist the temptations and corruption that such power brings, and she eventually gave in, but in the end, her better nature prevailed and she ended herself as she knew she couldn't resist that power for long. ...
+1000.

They missed the entire point of DPS. I just finished “watching” it (paying very little attention). It was wretched.
He/him/his