Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Dark Phoenix

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Magnus

Re: X-Men Dark Phoenix

Post by Magnus » 28 Sep 2018, 04:32

EphemeristX wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 22:39
Never say never when it comes to Disney and money. If this film does well, I can totally see them doing another and waiting for Phase 5 to integrate the X-Men. Or literally using Dark Phoenix 2 to somehow bridge the gap between them.
Never say never, but 1) I don't think the movie will do all that well, and 2) it'll be a ton easier to just do a fresh start. McAvoy and Fassbender have been great but I get the impression they're ready to move on, and I'm not sure anything else is worth salvaging (at least from the X-Men movies... I can see them keeping Deadpool and Cable).

Personally I hope Disney makes the X-Men their own thing instead of rolling them into MCU...

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Sep 2018, 10:46

I was originally going to predict 2025, and I think later would also be possible.

Feige doesn’t want to compete with his very successful MCU by running a parallel franchise. He might save the X-Men for when interest in the MCU starts to wane. They may then be introduced as phase 6 or 7, or as a separate franchise.

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 28 Sep 2018, 11:33

InsipidLust wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 13:22
Just occurred to me: what if Chastain is some kind of take on Cassandra Nova?
That would be awsome, would give the story also a kind of battle between the Xaviers: the good and the bad both want to help Jean (to end their needs)

Come to think of it, the lines of Chastain are kinda exact opposite want Xavier would say to Jean so makes sense, and she looks like McAvoy. The Hollywood Reporter also thinks its Cassandra https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ve-1147497
"You're always sorry, Charles, and there's always a speech. And nobody cares."

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Sep 2018, 12:13

I finally got a chance to watch the trailer, and as with 99% of Fox’s X-Men offerings, I’m deeply underwhelmed. I don’t want a story about Xavier’s poor judgment calls corrupting Jean. I’m not interested in a Phoenix who is fill of rage and out for vengeance against the X-Men. I don’t want Magneto to be any part of Dark Phoenix except perhaps an ally of necessity with the X-Men.

Fox’s failure of vision with the X-Men is apparent. Fox seems to think the characters and franchise can’t support such grandiose ideas as a cosmic power of destruction and rebirth; the malevolent ecstasy of such a destructive power; and the power of the human soul to overcome the inner corruption that comes with absolute power. These are the themes of the Dark Phoenix Saga, not betrayal, rage and anger on a human scale. And Magneto’s feud with Xavier is small potatos in this story, not the framework for it.

I doubt I’ll bother to see this. I gave up on this franchise a while back. I think I may have seen DoFP, or maybe AoA, but I know I haven’t seen both and whichever one it was it was so un memorable that I can’t be sure. Did one of them have Bishop and Blink? I think I remember those characters.

Disney’s takeover can’t come soon enough. Fox has done a dismal job with my favorite characters and stories. The ONLY thing Fox has got right, IMO, has been some of the casting choices, but those choices have been wasted on a cesspool of mediocre films. They’ve made ONE film on par with the top tier MCU films—Logan—and the rest have been no better than Thor 2. Someone with true vision, a real fan of the Uncanny X-Men, needs to restart this whole franchise from scratch.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Sep 2018, 01:10

That was DOFP.
The new release date is June 7, 2019.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Sep 2018, 05:14

Nu-D wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 10:46
I was originally going to predict 2025, and I think later would also be possible.

Feige doesn’t want to compete with his very successful MCU by running a parallel franchise. He might save the X-Men for when interest in the MCU starts to wane. They may then be introduced as phase 6 or 7, or as a separate franchise.
What makes you think it'd be a parallel franchise? The X-Men could be movies in the MCU and the spin-off teams could easily be Disney Streaming/TV Shows. The MCU grows, but I wouldn't call it a separate franchise.

I don't think the X-Men magic from the early/mid-2000s is dead. I think it's entirely possible that Marvel can bring them up again and make them the face of Marvel. This is even more likely if we see Tony and Steve both die in Avengers 4 because I just don't think anyone in the MCU could outsell the X-Men. A movie in 2022 is far enough removed, in my opinion, from this set of films that they could have a clean slate to rebuild the X-Men again.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 29 Sep 2018, 08:23

I could see the Deadpool films being part of the MCU (they even fought on a helicarrier in DP1) with the other films being separate and considered non canon.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Sep 2018, 10:51

I’m actually with Das, I think the X-franchise should be on TV...look at west world, you put in the money and you could have a very great thing there.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Sep 2018, 11:54

If they want to keep pushing back Dark Phoenix indefinitely, that’d be fine.

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 29 Sep 2018, 20:32

I'm astounded that the production team from the 90's cartoon grasped something that has eluded the movie people twice: you can't do the Dark Phoenix Saga without doing the Phoenix Saga before. You have to show how the Phoenix is such a massive force for good so that when she goes Dark you have the Holy Shit! reaction. There isn't any emotional investment here for me to care about Jean or her struggle. Another missed opportunity...
Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 10:51
I’m actually with Das, I think the X-franchise should be on TV...look at west world, you put in the money and you could have a very great thing there.
I doubt that they will move the X-franchise to TV. You bring Westworld as a example but you forget one thing: the budget is so prohibiting high that Westworld is on a 2-year production cycle for only 10 episodes a season. First season was released on 2016, the second on 2018 and considering they will only starting filming the third season next year, then it will be released on 2020 or later. And you need the big budget here for the special effects, let's not forget how hooky the effects usually look in broadcast TV.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 01 Oct 2018, 18:52

Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 10:51
YANO, every time you say “i’m actually with Das” I feel like printing out all the examples of you agreeing with me across every iteration of this forum, stencil them out, carve them into slabs of granite, come to your house, knock on your door, and slap you in the face. And leave you with a fuck tonne of granite on your goddamn driveway. But that takes effort so i’ll just passive-aggressively point out that you agree with me quite often because i’m AWESOME

Anyway, not even Westworld level. Why not just literally have something with the budget of Game of Thrones? Or at the very least, have mini seasons that fit between X-Men movies to fill the gaps?
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 01 Oct 2018, 23:54

I've wanted an X-Men tv series forever. Even a serious, real animated adaptation with high quality animation. I mean, there's so many stories. I want to see Rogue start out with the Brotherhood and have an actual developed relationship with Mystique. I want to see Dazzler actually on the team for a time. I want to see all the guest characters we could sink our teeth into like Dust, Anole, Rockslide, Cecelia Reyes, Chamber, Banshee, Pete Wisdom, Polaris and Havok, etc. I want to see Moira as an awesome geneticist who tells Charles like it is. I want to see Scott and Jean's relationship actually develop, delve into Wolvie's awesome Japan stories with Mariko, have the Brood and Apocalypse and Sinister and the Marauders and Magneto and the Brotherhood be what they should be. And I want a team with Rogue, Nightcrawler, Jubilee, Gambit, and the other big names they certainly would have. And Storm to actually be a worthwhile character.

I wanted this movie to be really good but this trailer seems like a huge let down. I mean, what happened to their individualized costumes at the literal end of the last movie? Why are they seemingly rehashing the exact same story beats as the generally panned and hated Last Stand? Why in the world is MYSTIQUE the leader of the X-Men and possibly the one to sacrifice her life, other than it worked out for Jennifer Lawrence rather than for any real story reasons?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 02 Oct 2018, 03:53

I'm with everyone who wants an X-franchise TV show. Whether it's animated or not I think the pacing of the X movies so far has been massively off. Everything feels super rushed and very few characters get the exposure needed. An episodic format would allow much better long term builds for an ensemble and allow for better character interactions. Also cameo characters can be better placed in contexts that make sense rather than cramming them into a bigger story with no reasoning (Psylocke as a member of the Omegas, then a tracker for Caliban then a Horseman?)
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » Yesterday, 01:47

Nu-D wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:13

I doubt I’ll bother to see this. I gave up on this franchise a while back. I think I may have seen DoFP, or maybe AoA, but I know I haven’t seen both and whichever one it was it was so un memorable that I can’t be sure. Did one of them have Bishop and Blink? I think I remember those characters.
Decided to rent X-men Apocalypse tonight, and it turns out I have seen it before. It’s just so aggressively mediocre that I forgot I had seen it.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » Yesterday, 03:09

Nu-D wrote:
Yesterday, 01:47
Nu-D wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:13

Decided to rent X-men Apocalypse tonight, and it turns out I have seen it before. It’s just so aggressively mediocre that I forgot I had seen it.
Yup
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » Yesterday, 16:28

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:54
Or just cancel it. Just say "No More Dark Phoenix". We have the original, twenty comic book sequels, eight different adaptations. Haven't we seen enough of Crazy O.P. Jean with a firebird familiar?
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » Yesterday, 19:39

The uniforms look so cheap in this. They could've bought decent looking uniforms at a convention.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » Yesterday, 19:57

RingOtaku wrote:
Yesterday, 16:28
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:54
Or just cancel it. Just say "No More Dark Phoenix". We have the original, twenty comic book sequels, eight different adaptations. Haven't we seen enough of Crazy O.P. Jean with a firebird familiar?
The problem is I’m still waiting for them to do it right. I would love to see a dark phoenix movie that really captures the story as it was meant to be done.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » Today, 08:36

The problem is that it would take much too long to properly set up. I could see it being an entire six-episode television arc, though.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"