Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Dark Phoenix

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Flapflop

Re: X-Men Dark Phoenix

Post by Flapflop » 27 Sep 2018, 08:27

Trailer!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWbMckU3AOQ

Not much story yet, just glimmers. But those look good, intriguing and have lot of suspense. Love the music. Still wonder who Jessica Chastain playing now.

They change on big part of comic history though
Spoiler: show
by letting young Jean (seemingly) kill her parents
"You're always sorry, Charles, and there's always a speech. And nobody cares."

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 27 Sep 2018, 10:45

Not really anything space related in this trailer, other than a shot of the blackbird shooting into space. I'm guessing this will be a more personal story, of Jean succumbing to the Phoenix and fighting her friends. I don't think we're going to see the Shi'ar

Some interesting shots in there; a funeral, Beast seemingly siding with Magneto, the scene Flapflop mentioned above.

Is Magneto's commune Genosha? I remember reading Genosha was meant to be in this

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 27 Sep 2018, 11:01

Hum... I actually thought that the trailer gave a lot of the story away... or at least we can infer a lot from it.
Spoiler: show
Jean killed her parents as a child. Charles erased her memories of it to protect her mind from the trauma/guilt. The x-men go on a mission to space. Something goes wrong and Jean's powers flare up. Charles tells Mystique the secret. Hank tries to help Jean but fails and somehow Mystique gets killed (probably by Jean). They have a funeral for Mystique. Hank gets pissed at Charles. Jean tries to go to Magneto. Magneto gets upset that Mystique is dead and is done with Charles nonsense. Hank joins Magneto and his mutants in Genosha. The X-men are still trying to help Jean. The brotherhood are opposing them.
I'm a bit disappointed with what I see to be honest. I'm usually the x-movie apologist in this forum. I think many of you guys tend to be overly harsh with them. However... this is just a variation of X3 and that didn't do a good job with the Phoenix storyline. I'm thinking history will repeat itself. As much as some people hate Singer, when he's not involved in any capacity, this franchise tends to suffer. He definitely needs someone to reign him in but I feel like his complete absence will be felt.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 27 Sep 2018, 11:29

This is literally the Last Stand all over again but they’ve given Jean Polaris’ origin story. This just... no. I can’t even with this. They should have seeded this better in Apocalypse because then we could have had:
-Apocalypse’s cult and Apocalypse’s reliance on alien tech.
-Hieroglyphs showing someone more powerful than Apocalypse
-Aliens coming to earth upon finding out that Apocalypse is dead
-one of these aliens is the Phoenix. Jean manages to best her and becomes the Phoenix and goes mad.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Sep 2018, 12:03

Well, this looks nothing like the Dark Phoenix Saga I remember. The thing is, the Phoenix story needs at least 2 films to tell... we need to get to know Jean, we need to know why she'd risk her life for her team-mates, establishing firm relationships, particularly with Scott, we need to see her power increase exponentially, and then she needs to be corrupted, and again sacrifice her life, but this time for the sake of the universe.

And that's before you bring in the M'Kraan / Shi'ar elements...

Twice they've tried to squeeze all of this into one film. The whole story, from the emergence of Jean as Phoenix, through to her sacrifice was more than 3 years of comic stories. I'm all for condensing the books, but they're rushing it again. And again, the ensemble power of the X-franchise (that there's so many great characters within many with interesting relationships between each other) is lost as the spotlight's on a limited number of characters.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 27 Sep 2018, 12:23

To be fair, there were rumors that they wanted to split the story into two movies, however the Fox acquisition made that impossible. They're already fighting hard just to get this movie out (New Mutants might not be so lucky), two movies just wouldn't happen. I can blame them for a lot of things, but that one was truly out of their hands.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Sep 2018, 12:36

Whether a film and its story is split into two should surely be made at the script-writing phase, long before you ever get to production, so I don't think it's got anything to do with the Fox acquisition. More they wanted to get a movie out quickly, and rather than take a considered approach, they've gone back to a well they already spoiled the first time. It's an utterly pointless exercise for all involved.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 27 Sep 2018, 12:49

I also like the quote from Magneto:

"You're always sorry, Charles, and there's always a speech. And nobody cares." :D
"You're always sorry, Charles, and there's always a speech. And nobody cares."

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 27 Sep 2018, 12:56

I genuinely think that we might see the X-Franchise, under Marvel, move to TV. Long form story telling serves the X-Franchise a lot better than BIG FILM BIG FILM BUG FILM.

MCU works currently because they can give cameos to certain characters in other movies, which helps flesh them out when it gets to the ensemble movies. There’s simply not enough X-Men with draw enough for a solo movie to appeal to audiences, other than Wolverine, Magneto, Mystique and Xavier.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 27 Sep 2018, 13:09

Spectral Knight wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 12:36
Whether a film and its story is split into two should surely be made at the script-writing phase, long before you ever get to production, so I don't think it's got anything to do with the Fox acquisition. More they wanted to get a movie out quickly, and rather than take a considered approach, they've gone back to a well they already spoiled the first time. It's an utterly pointless exercise for all involved.
The acquisition didn't happen out of the blue. It has been in the works for a long time. Surely much longer that it has been made public. Plus, who said it wasn't made at the script-writing phase? Olivia Munn said just a year ago:
I don't know what I'm supposed to say. I'm supposed to be vague. That's my answer. I'm horrible at that. It's like a two-parter, this movie. That's more than I've said, in general. I don't know why people have to be so secretive."
This really indicates that they planned out a two-parter but had to keep it under wraps probably because they didn't know how the acquisition would go down. If the Disney-Fox deal fell through, we might have gotten the two parter. As it stands, it doesn't seem like we're getting it (Feige probably wants the Fox x-movies to be over and done with).

Like I said, I can and will blame them for a lot of iffy creative choices, but not ones they were forced into by circumstances outside their control.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 27 Sep 2018, 13:22

Just occurred to me: what if Chastain is some kind of take on Cassandra Nova?
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Sep 2018, 13:23

I read Olivia Munn's quote in reference that the movie was essentially a two-act structure, rather than an actual two-parter. Note she keeps the movie in singluar.
X-Editorial:

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 27 Sep 2018, 13:55

Spectral Knight wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 13:23
I read Olivia Munn's quote in reference that the movie was essentially a two-act structure, rather than an actual two-parter. Note she keeps the movie in singluar.
If so, why wouldn't she just say it has two acts? She's an actress, she should know the proper wording. And why would she complain about them being secretive about it? Not only is it not that big of a thing to be a secret, it wouldn't affect her since Munn is nowhere near the credits of Dark Phoenix nor is she in any of the released images from the movie. Why would an actress that's not involved not only know about the narrative structure of the film but be talking about it in interviews and complain about it being secretive? Makes no sense to me.

What would make sense is if there had been plans to divide the story into two. That way, the reason she's not in Dark Phoenix is because she was supposed to only show up in the second part. That information not being public would annoy her because she's being asked constantly if she is in the movie but can't give a straight answer.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Sep 2018, 14:12

I mean it’s possible she misspoke either way right? That actually does happen to professional actors lol

Alternatively, the trailer might just look disappointing because it’s disappointing (at least to some) and the movie might be amazing. Same way some people were disappointed at the CM trailer and it might be awesome *shrug*
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 27 Sep 2018, 16:46

An article that has an interview with Chastain with more info on her character: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/27 ... n-villains

Also some stuff in there that makes me think the "Dark Phoenix is one of two movies" theory has merit.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 27 Sep 2018, 17:17

So we are just stop pretending time is linear in this universe right, and its more like a sliding time scale from the comic,s because if these is the 90's, damn do Magneto, Beast and the Proffesor looke great for their ages.

Also, i dont know, i have high hopes, i really like Sophie Turner, i really, really hope this is good, like i want this to succeed, even if i dont like Jean killing her parent,s i mean, she could've believed she was responsible for killing Annie.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 27 Sep 2018, 18:44

I mean... the trailer didn’t do a whole lot for me. But at this point I think we’ve gotten used to movie trailers, especially comic book trailers, giving away everything so this kind of lowkey, not a lot of action is sort of refreshing.

I also loved Magneto’s line.

Chastain... Lilandra... Cassandra... or maybe Miss Sinister?
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 27 Sep 2018, 20:03

Magnus wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 16:46
An article that has an interview with Chastain with more info on her character: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/27 ... n-villains

Also some stuff in there that makes me think the "Dark Phoenix is one of two movies" theory has merit.
This won't be two movies. This is likely the last X-Men for the next few years.

Also, apparently that Tank Girl looking reject is Selene....

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 27 Sep 2018, 22:30

Oh I agree that with Disney buying out FOX that there won't be another movie (in this continuity). Just that it sounds like they may have originally intended it as such and we'll never get the intended ending piece now.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Sep 2018, 22:39

Never say never when it comes to Disney and money. If this film does well, I can totally see them doing another and waiting for Phase 5 to integrate the X-Men. Or literally using Dark Phoenix 2 to somehow bridge the gap between them.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Sep 2018, 00:43

I think Disney will put the X-Men in their back pocket for a couple of years. I wouldn’t expect a Disney X-film until 2022 or thereabouts.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Sep 2018, 01:16

Nu-D wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 00:43
I think Disney will put the X-Men in their back pocket for a couple of years. I wouldn’t expect a Disney X-film until 2022 or thereabouts.
I initially thought that seemed so long, but then I saw that Disney waited around 3 years before The Force Awakens was in theaters. Assuming the deal goes through early next year I'd say late 2020 for some kind of an announcement and 2021 for release. I really wouldn't be surprised if that's moved up. They've probably had ideas for integrating the X-Men for years. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Wolverine before a whole cast film.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 28 Sep 2018, 01:44

Honestly 2022 might be too optimistic. Feige doesn't want to do more than 3 movies a year and he has said he has storylines planed to last him until 2028. They won't wait that long but he will have to jam the x-men (and Deadpool and the Fantastic Four) in there and there might not be an easy opening that soon. Recently Bob Iger said they made a mistake with Star Wars by rushing through releases so I don't see them eager to overstuff the MCU. The next few movies will be:

- Captain Marvel - March 2019
- Avengers 4 - May 2019
- Spider-man Far from Home - July 2019
- Black Widow (They have already chosen the director)
- Eternals (they've just assigned a director)

On top of that we have:
- Guardians 3 (has a script and was set for filming but the Gunn stuff made it so they are having trouble finding a new director)
- Black Panther 2 (they're negotiating with Coogler and there's no way there won't be a sequel)
- Captain Marvel 2 (they want to make Carol into a lead so it would have to completely bomb for them not to make another)
- Spider Man 3 (they already said they would do it and since it's Sony's golden goose, they will push it through even if Far from Home doesn't do well)

Then there's the other stuff that's been rumored and some of it might be pushed aside but some will happen:
- Doctor Strange 2
- Ant-man and the Wasp 3
- Avengers 5
- Thor 4
- Ms Marvel
- Young Avengers

This leaves Disney with a lot already. From Fox, they'll probably prioritize Deadpool, then Fantastic Four (they're more self contained). I've seen people online theorizing 2025 as a more realistic date for an X-men movie though there's a possibility for X-characters to show up before (like Storm in Black Panther). I think 2025 is a bit much, personally, but I don't expect to see a full x-men movie for quite a while.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 28 Sep 2018, 02:21

The Selene reveal in that article completely killed my interest in this movie lol. These people love putting characters completely to waste.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 28 Sep 2018, 04:10

Meanwhile everything's looking up for Red Lotus!