Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Dark Phoenix

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Cable

X-Men Dark Phoenix

Post by Cable » 22 Feb 2017, 03:23

Supernova is evidently the working title of the next main X-Men film. We know Sophie Turner is returning as Jean (rumor is they will be doing Dark Phoenix again) and now we learn Simon Kinberg is wanting to make his directorial debut with this movie.
Last edited by Cable on 25 Apr 2017, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Re: X-Men Supernova

Post by Anna Raven » 22 Feb 2017, 04:55

Supernova. Cassandra Novaaaa? Ehhhh?
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 22 Feb 2017, 05:22

"Dark Phoenix worked great last time. Everyone loved X-3.... why are you all putting guns in your mouths?"
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 23 Apr 2017, 04:00

It's officially X-Men: Dark Phoenix now. http://io9.gizmodo.com/three-x-men-movi ... 1794561256

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 23 Apr 2017, 06:58

Better change the thread title...😀
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 23 Apr 2017, 07:40

Maybe this time they won't screw it up...
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 23 Apr 2017, 09:03

AARIN'NN HAELAR!!!

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 25 Apr 2017, 14:46

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
23 Apr 2017, 09:03
AARIN'NN HAELAR!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm SO hoping they don't screw this up. Y'all... just stick to the established story (which is universally considered one of the best of all time) and you'll be fine. I know they think they have to make changes to a story so that a general audience will understand, but they don't. People got the original story and will get this too. Just do it like it's written!
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 25 Apr 2017, 23:27

Tyler5618 wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 14:46
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
AARIN'NN HAELAR!!!

I'm SO hoping they don't screw this up. Y'all... just stick to the established story (which is universally considered one of the best of all time) and you'll be fine. I know they think they have to make changes to a story so that a general audience will understand, but they don't. People got the original story and will get this too. Just do it like it's written!
You said it all!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Apr 2017, 23:37

Tyler5618 wrote:
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
AARIN'NN HAELAR!!!

To be honest you have to change somethings...you just can't do the entire DPS (with any justice) in 1 movie. Even the TAS had to change stuff and they had several episodes to do it in.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cable

Re: X-Men Dark Phoenix

Post by Cable » 25 Apr 2017, 23:40

If the Shi'ar are in this movie I will eat my hat
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Apr 2017, 05:46

They could use them to explain where Apocalypse's alien tech came from.

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 26 Apr 2017, 14:03

Blackcyclops wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 23:37
Tyler5618 wrote:
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
AARIN'NN HAELAR!!!

To be honest you have to change somethings...you just can't do the entire DPS (with any justice) in 1 movie. Even the TAS had to change stuff and they had several episodes to do it in.
Well, to have Jean gain the Phoenix, save the universe, then go DP, and then have to sacrifice herself... yes, that is a lot for one movie. But they can cut stuff out and still keep the main story beats the same. But they're going to want to do all kinds of crazy ish that isn't necessary like transposing characters' actions or adding in superfluous scenes... I know Fox... they do it in EVERY movie. I'm just begging them to not go with their first instinct and to leave the story in tact as is.
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Apr 2017, 14:06

Yeah there'sno reason to add things...it's mainly about taking stuff away because it's alot for a film to cover.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 27 Apr 2017, 22:44

Tyler5618 wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 14:03
Blackcyclops wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 23:37
Tyler5618 wrote:

Well, to have Jean gain the Phoenix, save the universe, then go DP, and then have to sacrifice herself... yes, that is a lot for one movie. But they can cut stuff out and still keep the main story beats the same. But they're going to want to do all kinds of crazy ish that isn't necessary like transposing characters' actions or adding in superfluous scenes... I know Fox... they do it in EVERY movie. I'm just begging them to not go with their first instinct and to leave the story in tact as is.
Doesn't Jean already have the Phoenix Force? So she would not need to get it. They could show in Flashbacks how she acquired it which would be quick.

I believe the X-Men are supposed to be in space or returning when something happens. Perhaps this will be the explanation of the PF attaching to Jean.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 28 Apr 2017, 18:13

I don't know about having all of the Starjammers but not having Corsair would be a huge missed opportunity. Scott meeting his space dad could be their reason to go to space.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Apr 2017, 02:11

The Phoenix story needs to be two films. In the first the x men meet the shi'ar and Jean becomes Phoenix to save the universe. In the second, Jean is manipulated and traumatized, becomes DP, and the shi'ar return to put her on trial.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Apr 2017, 02:58

Nu-D wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 02:11
The Phoenix story needs to be two films. In the first the x men meet the shi'ar and Jean becomes Phoenix to save the universe. In the second, Jean is manipulated and traumatized, becomes DP, and the shi'ar return to put her on trial.
That's the only way to do the entire story right if you want it to be have fidelity to the source matter.

Now as a fan of Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon, I think you can do the story without it being all the way faithful to the OG...but I think the alien aspect of it is important because it'll allow the story to stand out from all the other X-Men movies.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Apr 2017, 10:55

To me, DPS really works best as part of a space opera. I think it needs a cosmic scale to give it gravitas.

I would use the first installation to get the X-Men into space, to introduce the Imperial Guard and the Shi'ar and maybe the Starjammers, and to have Jean save the universe from a mad emperor by entering the Mrakken Crystal and there becoming Phoenix. I would set up the next chapter showing the power pushing Jean to the edge, but being reigned in by Charles & Scott. I would set up that the Shi'ar are skeptical that this is sustainable. I'd leave some "Unfinished Business" for Jean in Shi'ar space--maybe there's more power in the crystal that she craves, but Scott persuades her not to take in an effort to keep her under control. That gives her a motive to go back later when she's gone Dark.

In Ch. 2, you'd see early on that Jean is only mostly in control, with the psychic help of Charles and the emotional support of Scott and the others. The first half would be a mission where Jean is captured and psychically manipulated, and it breaks down the controls she's built up. I'm not sure I'd use the Hellfire Club in its traditional form, because it's tonally so different from the rest of the story, but maybe Sinister (could even be a set-up for a "From the Ashes" sequel?). Anyhow, Jean goes nuts, the X-Men can't control her. She flies off to Shi'ar space for the unfinished business, they follow. A battle with the help of the Shi'ar and she's captured. X-Men are ready to take her home but the Shi'ar say no, she's got to die. Battle royale ensues. Jean dies.

Ch. 3-- vs. Sinister and Maddie Pryor (a clone on Jean). Ends with Maddie receiving Jean's memories, effectively resurrecting her. Happy ending.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Apr 2017, 16:53

Yeah, I just can't see the Phoenix Saga being something that's possible in one movie. Just like Infinity War/Gauntlet not being one movie. It's too epic to contain.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Apr 2017, 17:03

You have to retool the story...which is fine by me but you gotta keep the space stuff.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 29 Apr 2017, 17:28

Well at least if Jackman is retired from being Logan we won't get the sappy SNIKT that gives him nervous breakdown guilt problems that drag down a perfectly good solo movie this time.

Also why always DP? No love for Mutant Massacre?
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 29 Apr 2017, 19:36

For Mutant Massacre not to be just any culling of mutants, you need Mr Sinister. I love me some Mr. Sinister, though, so I'd be down. I can imagine it playing out in the TV show.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Apr 2017, 19:43

There haven't been any official movie Morlocks to murder.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 29 Apr 2017, 20:18

Right. On the upcoming TV show, though? Sinister is exactly the kind of slow burning villain that would be perfect for a serial.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"