unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

The Inhumans

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
medium13

Re: The Inhumans

Post by medium13 » 05 Oct 2017, 16:25

So, I am the viewer who knows next to nothing about the Inhumans. Sure, I know Blackbolt can't talk and Medusa has prehensile hair but for the most part my knowledge of these characters is pretty low. I want to like this because I like the actor who plays Maximus and generally think he chooses good scripts. But this was hard to watch.

There was a real lack of exposition that could have clued clueless viewers into what's going on. I was perplexed about why an Inhuman would be on Earth, why they were being chased by military, and why both Inhumans seemed relatively powerless to protect themselves, like at all. When Triton jumps in the water, I knew that he probably wasn't dead, but also noted that they went out of the way to show how much blood there was.

Moving to the royal family, I'm just as confused. Why is this motley crew "royal"? How are they related? Why is the Royal Guard so quick to follow Maximus? It's hard to take Medusa seriously. Her costume looks cheap and silly although it felt like they got the makeup and lighting right later - right before they shave it off. I come to enjoy her a bit later, but by the time she fights Auran, I'm rooting for Medusa only because I can't stand Auran as a character or the actress who plays her. I thought maybe Medusa was down for the count when she takes an uppercut, but was pleasantly surprised when she knifes Auran. Maybe the show has some redeeming qualities (flash forward to post credit scene). I was literally annoyed when she comes back to life and then heals her fatal wound. To repeat what Monolith said, I give a lot of credit to the actor playing Back Bolt who is trying to express a lot through silent communication. I give him more leeway than the others because I find him incredibly attractive with the exception being when he puts on a stupid looking crown. I kind of liked him placing the communicator to his heartbeat when he speaks with Medusa, but I realize how silly it is today reading the above comments. Again, I may have been swayed by his looks. I will note during that scene, I thought, "can't she hear the traffic in the background?" I also was confused why Medusa seemed to have a good grasp on how to fit in and hide among humans contrasted with Black Bolt's utter stupidity about paying for goods and services. Again, I over look this because he looks great in a suit.

I enjoyed Karnak's abilities, although I didn't quite understand what he was doing at first. It took me...longer... than a fraction of a second to get it. Of all the Inhumans, I came to enjoy him the most but still in a ' I don't really care for you' way. The rest are so silly. I can't even get into the two children who go through the mist ceremony. No one thinks seeing the future is a useful ability? No one correlates snakes with Medusa or Medusa's hair that is made of snakes? Gorgon seemed useless until he stomped hard and I thought, "Oh, alright." Crystal was so disappointing. How are chains able to hold her? How is she so weak that she can't take out Maximus on the balcony? Is she controlling Lockjaw? She's a little racist.

I did however stay up past my bedtime to watch this. Much like Agents of Shield I may give it an episode or two more before I drop it entirely.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 05 Oct 2017, 19:03

Good to hear your thoughts, medium. Like I mentioned, I was worried how someone unfamiliar with the Inhumans would take this show, and you confirmed my fears. Here's a little Inhumans backstory that might help for future episodes.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. had an event two-three seasons ago similar to the Terrigen Cloud from the Infinity crossover in the comics. There are part-blooded Inhuman descendants on Earth. If they are exposed to Terrigen, they receive powers (normal humans are killed). Terrigen got into the water and fish supply, so spontaneous Inhumans are cropping up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That girl Triton tried to rescue in the beginning was presumably one.

The Royal Family is a series of cousins. Gorgon is the cousin of the brothers Black Bolt and Maximus. On the other side of their family tree, Bolt and Maximus are cousins to the brothers Karnak and Triton. And on the other side of THEIR family tree, Karnak and Triton are cousins to Medusa and Crystal. Lockjaw is a dog.

Maximus has subtle mind control powers in the comics. This may or may not be a twist later in the season. I agree that the entire Royal Guard switching loyalty from Gorgon to Maximus seems like it needs more explaining.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Oct 2017, 21:14

Don't you guys agree with me that the fact seemingly very few of the Inhuman guards have any noticeable powers, but instead use guns - is possibly the most lame thing ever?
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Oct 2017, 21:55

Anna Raven wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 21:14
Don't you guys agree with me that the fact seemingly very few of the Inhuman guards have any noticeable powers, but instead use guns - is possibly the most lame thing ever?
I mean to be fair, how could you do that given budgetary constraints? I mean I guess you could just have a bunch of folks with random horns and purple skin.

Then again some powers don’t become visible until you use them.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 06 Oct 2017, 00:23

The main question should be: "why would you ever attempt to do Inhumans on a shoestring budget?"

Anyway, there's a lot of powers that wouldn't be that expensive. Shows like Buffy and Charmed didn't have major budgets (at least not initially) and still managed to do it. Some cool makeup would go a long way. Superstrength is really easy and very appropriate for a guard (get a bunch of bodybuilders from the nearby gym and have them throw styrofoam props). Enhanced senses would only require acting.

When the main premise of your show is that characters without flashy powers get sent to the mines, you can't populate your city with seemingly powerless people and get away with it.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 06 Oct 2017, 01:04

_Rick_ wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 00:23
The main question should be: "why would you ever attempt to do Inhumans on a shoestring budget?"
I think that's my point. Whatever they spent on the IMAX budget should have gone into giving the guards prosthetics or lazer-fists or something.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

Cable

Post by Cable » 07 Oct 2017, 17:37

Anna Raven wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 01:04
_Rick_ wrote:
I think that's my point. Whatever they spent on the IMAX budget should have gone into giving the guards prosthetics or lazer-fists or something.
The ones who go to Earth in episode 3 at least all have powers. Including a new guy Mortis who has an intimidating look and not at all any intimidating mannerisms, and is basically what would happen if Cyclops and Xorn had a baby.

After watching the first three episodes I can say it isn't as bad as the critics make it out to be, but at the same time I could write a paragraph about what it does well and an essay about what it does wrong. Agree with others above that it does a poor job of explaining some of the things (like why the guards are so willing to join Max Bolt.) Though I do like that the conflict with Max Bolt is not so clear cut. His goals appear in many ways to be worthwhile, but his methods are bad. It is better than having him just be outright evil or crazy.

I have learned to roll with the punches when it comes to character changes in different mediums but some of them here I just don't get. I have already discussed in a previous posts my problems with Karnak's portrayal in both changes to his origins and powers; Karnak is my favorite Inhuman in the comics and I have no interest in him here and that is a bad sign (actually I think what is going on in Attilan is more interesting than almost all of the subplots on Earth, with Gorgon finding surfer-soldiers willing to fight to the death with him being particularly cringe-worthy). Also is Triton amphibious in this? They act like he is dead because he fell in the water but he is a f#*$ing FISH. Although he doesn't look like one here which is another gripe but I digress. I also thought it might come out later that Max Bolt has a subtle power but it really looks like his Inhuman ability is to not be an Inhuman. I don't even know what to say about that...And then why is Auran named Auran when she in no way resembles the character in the comics? It is like if they made an X-Men show and there was a character named Nightcrawler who was a white guy that shot lasers from his hands. Why?

The show has noticeable potential, but there are just a lot of small bad decisions that start to really add up.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Oct 2017, 23:43

Cable wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 17:37
Anna Raven wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 01:04
_Rick_ wrote:
The ones who go to Earth in episode 3 at least all have powers. Including a new guy Mortis who has an intimidating look and not at all any intimidating mannerisms, and is basically what would happen if Cyclops and Xorn had a baby.

After watching the first three episodes I can say it isn't as bad as the critics make it out to be, but at the same time I could write a paragraph about what it does well and an essay about what it does wrong. Agree with others above that it does a poor job of explaining some of the things (like why the guards are so willing to join Max Bolt.) Though I do like that the conflict with Max Bolt is not so clear cut. His goals appear in many ways to be worthwhile, but his methods are bad. It is better than having him just be outright evil or crazy.

I have learned to roll with the punches when it comes to character changes in different mediums but some of them here I just don't get. I have already discussed in a previous posts my problems with Karnak's portrayal in both changes to his origins and powers; Karnak is my favorite Inhuman in the comics and I have no interest in him here and that is a bad sign (actually I think what is going on in Attilan is more interesting than almost all of the subplots on Earth, with Gorgon finding surfer-soldiers willing to fight to the death with him being particularly cringe-worthy). Also is Triton amphibious in this? They act like he is dead because he fell in the water but he is a f#*$ing FISH. Although he doesn't look like one here which is another gripe but I digress. I also thought it might come out later that Max Bolt has a subtle power but it really looks like his Inhuman ability is to not be an Inhuman. I don't even know what to say about that...And then why is Auran named Auran when she in no way resembles the character in the comics? It is like if they made an X-Men show and there was a character named Nightcrawler who was a white guy that shot lasers from his hands. Why?

The show has noticeable potential, but there are just a lot of small bad decisions that start to really add up.
Yeh they upped their guard-power game in Episode 3 which I was happy to see. You’re right on about Mortis. He seemed badass until he started speaking and acting like a whiny ass.

I think they assume Triton is dead because he got shot and was leaking a lot of blood. But the fact he jumped in the water is not a harm to him, in fact it should only help his healing we would deduce. Of course we as comic fans know Triton + water = he’s fine because it’s such an obvious fake out for people who don’t know his powers.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 08 Oct 2017, 15:35

It was two steps forward, one step back, with the Royal Guard this week I think. Help me out if I missed something here:

Auren was sent reinforcements with Mortis and four guards: spitting cobra guy, flower girl, other guy, and other girl. I think her name was Locus.

When they encountered Gorgon, Auran told Mortis to stay back and protect Locus. Why was Locus there to hunt Gorgon if she was a non-combatant who needed protection? Wasn't she chosen specifically for this mission to hunt him? Did she have a passive tracking power, or healing power, or something that was otherwise useful? I was expecting a callback to her before the episode was over, but we never got an explanation.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Oct 2017, 16:29

Monolith wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 15:35
It was two steps forward, one step back, with the Royal Guard this week I think. Help me out if I missed something here:

Auren was sent reinforcements with Mortis and four guards: spitting cobra guy, flower girl, other guy, and other girl. I think her name was Locus.

When they encountered Gorgon, Auran told Mortis to stay back and protect Locus. Why was Locus there to hunt Gorgon if she was a non-combatant who needed protection? Wasn't she chosen specifically for this mission to hunt him? Did she have a passive tracking power, or healing power, or something that was otherwise useful? I was expecting a callback to her before the episode was over, but we never got an explanation.
For some reason I thought it was the other way around, Locus was gonna guard Mortis, ie. to make sure he didn't do anything funny. But then why bring him at all? I guess maybe Auran still didn't trust him and was only pacifying Maximus having him there at all? Anyway I may have misheard, I'm not positive.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 09 Oct 2017, 17:17

OK, I think I'm done. I also know little about the Inhumans, and this show is just terribly plotted. Why in the world do a group of random surfers want to risk their lives for a goat man they just met? How convenient is it that Black Bolt ends up in the same cell as another Inhuman (I mean, that I can live with but it's just another ticked off plot contrivance when added up)? Crystal seems awful as a person. Maximus actually had a crappy life compartively, even though every member of the show seems to drip with "I grew up special" while the cannon fodder are just generically bad because...why? Why are any of the Inhumans following Maximus? They haven't bothered to explain why those who already aren't forced into the mining colony would want their position of privilege taken away. The characters seem so out of touch, almost unbelievably so. And Karnak's whole storyline is just stupid. Are those people drug dealers? And they're just like, "sure stay with us, that's fine but we'll watch you!" Everyone on Hawaii is super nice, I guess. I feel like this plot could have been much better worked out.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 09 Oct 2017, 17:40

The deal with the Inhuman in prison I think was that unknown guy (who I’m guessing is an Inhuman from earth?) made a call into prison calling on a favor from the big guy. And then the big guy made it out like he was going to hurt Black Bolt when in reality he was going to buddy up to him. I’m not saying that’s better, it’s still an overly contrived plot point, imo. But it wasn’t random happenstance that Bolt got put in the other Inhumans cell. They rigged it to happen.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 09 Oct 2017, 19:31

If this was longer than 8 episodes I'd probably stop watching, but as I'm nearly half way through I'll continue to watch how it plays out. It's not terrible but it's only ok. The Karnak and Gorgon parts are the worst (Is the only reason Karnak's lost his powers so he can have a romantic plot with the drug dealer?). I quite liked the flashbacks and I hope we get more information on how their society works. I find Medusa fine, I think it's interesting to contrast her and Black Bolt in their situations, Black Bolt definitely more of a peace keeper. I think guy playing Black Bolt is doing well with conveying things with his expressions.
Exiles Draft: Nightcrawler (AoA), Polaris (Exiles), Shard (XSE), Aliyah Bishop (The End), Iceman (Mutant X), Spiderwoman (Earth 8545), Angel/Halloway (Noir), Kitty Pryde (Ultimate), Heather Hudson (Exiles), Cameron (DofP), Beast (Exiles)

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 09 Oct 2017, 21:33

Anna Raven wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 17:40
The deal with the Inhuman in prison I think was that unknown guy (who I’m guessing is an Inhuman from earth?) made a call into prison calling on a favor from the big guy. And then the big guy made it out like he was going to hurt Black Bolt when in reality he was going to buddy up to him. I’m not saying that’s better, it’s still an overly contrived plot point, imo. But it wasn’t random happenstance that Bolt got put in the other Inhumans cell. They rigged it to happen.
Huh. Well that's a bit better. It doesn't bode well I wasn't paying enough attention to get that.

I'll at least give props where due; the actors (other than Crystal) at least seem to be pretty solid and committed to their roles. They make the bad dialogue a little bit more bearable.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Oct 2017, 07:08

Finished the first episode and all I can think is "Man, the Inhuman Royal Family deserves whatever they get."

Like, the whole thing of putting the less useful in the mines is bad enough. I can't really root for you at that point. The thing that really makes me dislike them is the absolute shit they give Maximus for being human. Until he actually does anything he seems like a loyal member of the family, but they still treat him like trash. Crystal, who I know absolutely nothing about in the comics, seems to be the worst of the bunch. Is she like this in the comics at all?

It's weird though because outside of their treatment of the rest of their people and Maximus I think the characters are decent. The relationship between Medusa and Black Bolt is sweet. Black Bolt putting the communicator against his chest was adorable. Black Bolt does well portraying a mute in my opinion. Gorgon has moments where I find him a fun character and others where I wish he'd go back to being the fun character. Karnak's powers are interesting but extremely different than they are in the books.

Maximus is probably my favorite character of the entire bunch. Granted, this is probably because I'm already a fan of the character because of Misfits and Game of Thrones. He definitely has abilities from at least his dialogue in the most recent episode. I think he sees similarities between himself and NotUlysses. Both went through terrengenesis and came out of it seemingly normal. Both end up with abilities that are extremely powerful.

Crystal sucks though. Also, as powerful as she's meant to be it seems like she should be able to take out quite a few people on her own.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 11 Oct 2017, 13:09

There are plot holes. For sure. Buuuut, I'm still kinda enjoying this. It's a bit silly, and somewhat over-acted, which is fine for the Inhumans, and no real consistency in costume design (Compare Gorgon's disappearing hoofs - seriously, most action scenes they're just boots - and Medusa's horrid purple dress with actually a quite reasonable interpretation of Crystal's comic outfit without it looking cartoonish), but it's stupid fun I guess.

Also, Lockjaw got a massive 'awwwww' from my girlfriend. So now I get to watch the show with the 'weird, cute dog' on the big TV rather than at the computer, which is great.
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Oct 2017, 14:01

I think something about Crystal that has to be kept in mind is they are going for a more young inexperienced character on this show. Crystal in the comics is much more capable but she has been on numerous adventures. Crystal's elemental powers should make her capable of great things but on this show she has lived all her life as a princess on Attilan. When would she ever have needed to use them before?
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Oct 2017, 15:22

Well this Crystal does more closely mirror early Crystal...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Oct 2017, 21:05

Cow dogs don't exist!

medium13

Post by medium13 » 12 Oct 2017, 00:59

I kept watching even though I find it a little silly also. During the third episode I found myself contemplating how fortunate it is that so many of the inhumans have names that correspond to their powers like Medusa and Flora. Am I to believe they had these names before the powers? I think in flashbacks the answer is yes.

That being said I’m glad Crystal got something to do after her awful, flat “Maximus is king of nothing!” speech. I also laughed when Medusa seemlessly breaks into prison, Blackbolt has been captured is front page news, and Medusa can’t run down the helicopter. It was just pushing the envelope of what I’m willing to accept in a weird way, especially given the absurdity of Karnak and Gorgon’s stories. Also why is Medusa sometimes capable on earth but demanded money from the ATM? It just falls flat for me.

Lockjaw is cute although I thought he was too cartoonish at first.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Oct 2017, 06:23

Medusa hasn't really done anything to me that made her seem THAT much more capable than Black Bolt. Probably also helps she can actually speak to people as well.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Oct 2017, 14:26

tokenBG1009 wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 06:23
Medusa hasn't really done anything to me that made her seem THAT much more capable than Black Bolt. Probably also helps she can actually speak to people as well.
Basically she was able to board a bus without alerting anyone she was a weirdo by keeping to herself. That's her only unlocked achievement.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Oct 2017, 05:57

Anna Raven wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 14:26
tokenBG1009 wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 06:23
Basically she was able to board a bus without alerting anyone she was a weirdo by keeping to herself. That's her only unlocked achievement.
I feel like BB could have done that. He just was transported into the middle of a busy road and almost caused an accident. It was impossible for him to keep to himself.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Oct 2017, 12:09

This show sounds delightfully insane when you try to synopsize it, yet somehow it's dull in the watching.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 16 Oct 2017, 20:56

So is Triton actually dead? I figured he'd be back by now.