Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Runaways

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Blackcyclops

Re: Runaways

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Feb 2017, 11:46

Huh? You actually missed my point. I referenced the TV/movie divide because there is a TV/movie divide as well. Loeb has stated such before. It's part of the reason why you get the disconnects you do. Furthermore, it was literally stated that Fox had to work with Marvel TV to get their shows made. So my point was never about mutants but about Molly Hayes as a character...and given how weird these things are (Fox had to swap Ego to change a mutants powers), I just stated my frustration with not knowing

That other stuff you said I already knew, so no need to bold anything.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Feb 2017, 15:34

Cable wrote:
Anna Raven wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote:the actress playing Karoline is ridiculously attractive...

But I really like the Gert actress but I agree with Xtreme, she is too slim.

Edit:
Checked her IG, she's not "skinny" but definitely not how I imagined Gert. And she's Latina, I dom't know why Gert was always Jewish in my head lol
They race-bent Molly too, which I dunno, that bothers me a little, and it bothers me that it bothers me.

Actors gain weight for roles all the time, but rarely actresses. Will be interesting to see if she does.
Oddly it bothers me more that they changed Molly's name...
Oh man, that bothers me too. I just didn't notice it before.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 Feb 2017, 17:39

There's no reason the actress selected to play Gert can't play a Jewish person. Most European Jews are on the swarthy end of the scale, as Europeans go. Plenty of Eastern and Southern European Jews have similar skin tones to hers. If any TV-comic representation of a Jew is unrealistic, it's Felicity, with her platinum blonde hair. Few Jews (but not none) are that fair.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 04 Feb 2017, 09:50

With regards to Molly's name, I've read a few comments around the web that they changed her name because Hayes isn't a Latin name. There's not a large latin culture here in Australia so it's not something I'm we'll versed in. Why can't a latin person have a name like Hayes? Is it just because it's not common for a latin person to have that name, or because they're worried there'd be some kind of offense taken by certain groups?

Cable

Post by Cable » 04 Feb 2017, 12:18

Yeah I have seen comments like that too and I don't see why she can't be Hispanic and still have the name Hayes. It is definitely an English name but it is not hard to imagine some point in her family's past someone either intermarried or even was adopted.

If it was done for rights purposes, then if the choice was either making comics Molly not a mutant or changing the name of TV Molly, then the latter is definitely preferable to me (assuming they don't stupidly now try to introduce another Molly in the comics...)
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Feb 2017, 05:08

At this point, it seems the easiest explanation is the rights issue. We know Marvel can't have mutants in live action shows or we'd have had them in SHIELD long ago. Hell, as was previously said, Mutant X wouldn't have even been a problem.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Feb 2017, 11:32

Really? The easiest explanation seems to be that they cast a Latino actress and felt that Hayes isn't A Hispanic sounding surname. I mean Molly fits more as a Marvel only character than Wanda and Pietro, and those two were shared properties and only their power source was changed. So why would only Molly's last name be changed if it was about rights and she's far from an X-character.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 06 Feb 2017, 15:22

Molly debuted after Marvel sold the rights to Fox and she did it in a non-x title. I think Marvel would have a lot of wiggle room here and they could just call her an inhuman. Like Wanda they can probbaly use her but not refer to her as a mutant. Until someone outright tells us why they changed her name it's all speculation.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 06 Feb 2017, 15:56

Blackcyclops wrote:
06 Feb 2017, 11:32
Really? The easiest explanation seems to be that they cast a Latino actress and felt that Hayes isn't A Hispanic sounding surname. I mean Molly fits more as a Marvel only character than Wanda and Pietro, and those two were shared properties and only their power source was changed. So why would only Molly's last name be changed if it was about rights and she's far from an X-character.
Yep. I see this as a diversity move, and I'm cool with that.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Feb 2017, 00:13

The Pride includes recast Tina Minoru https://news.marvel.com/tv/59437/marvel ... ject-hulu/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Feb 2017, 01:05

Karolina's mom is gorgeous...jeez lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 10 Feb 2017, 10:02

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 00:13
The Pride includes recast Tina Minoru https://news.marvel.com/tv/59437/marvel ... ject-hulu/
James Masters! Marshal from Alias! My interest in this has increased tenfold.

Wait, where are Molly's parents?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Feb 2017, 13:31

Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 01:05
Karolina's mom is gorgeous...jeez lol
I'm amazed you mentioned her and not Alex's mom. WOW!
A League of Their Own!

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 10 Feb 2017, 14:41

While I'm excited that Spike has joined the MCU as a villain no less...Can James Marsters pull off the nerdy scientist type? I definitely believe that him and his wife are attractive enough to produce a handsome jock son, but I always liked the dichotomy of two nerdy introvert types unable to relate to their sports loving son. James Marsters oozes charisma and he will really need to play against type for me to buy the kind of relationship I liked so much in the comics.

Overall this cast is super solid. Looks like I will be signing up for Hulu when this comes out. Have they announced a release date?
X-Editorial Draft:
Hellions: Emma Frost, Kid Omega, Rockslide, Stepford Cuckoos, Bling!

X-statix starring Deadpool
Producer: Mojo
Cameraman: Doop
Cannon-fodder: Glob Herman, Eye-Boy, Shark-Girl, Goldballs, Ink

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 11 Feb 2017, 04:33

WorldWideWade wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 14:41
While I'm excited that Spike has joined the MCU as a villain no less...Can James Marsters pull off the nerdy scientist type? I definitely believe that him and his wife are attractive enough to produce a handsome jock son, but I always liked the dichotomy of two nerdy introvert types unable to relate to their sports loving son. James Marsters oozes charisma and he will really need to play against type for me to buy the kind of relationship I liked so much in the comics.

Overall this cast is super solid. Looks like I will be signing up for Hulu when this comes out. Have they announced a release date?
I'm picturing more a cold genius, like his Brainiac in Smallville, than nerdy introvert.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 11 Feb 2017, 16:34

That could work. Didn't realize he played Brainiac. Watched Smallville years before going back to watch Buffy and never made the connection.
X-Editorial Draft:
Hellions: Emma Frost, Kid Omega, Rockslide, Stepford Cuckoos, Bling!

X-statix starring Deadpool
Producer: Mojo
Cameraman: Doop
Cannon-fodder: Glob Herman, Eye-Boy, Shark-Girl, Goldballs, Ink

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Feb 2017, 10:42

Based solely on the fact Molly's parents aren't cast, and it hasn't been mentioned, I have a theory Molly will be the girl that the Runaways see their parents sacrifice. Though they'll tweak the story and save her.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 May 2017, 15:30

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cable

Post by Cable » 03 May 2017, 23:35

I will not be happy until I see some indication of there being a dinosaur in this show
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 04 May 2017, 15:00

Cable wrote:
03 May 2017, 23:35
I will not be happy until I see some indication of there being a dinosaur in this show
I thought that's what the growling behind the door marked "Do Not Enter" was supposed to be.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Jul 2017, 15:56

Cable

Post by Cable » 28 Jul 2017, 16:06

Nu-D wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 15:56
Vox article:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/28/1 ... l-hulu-tca
Interesting that they are talking like they have some kind of assurance this will be multiple seasons.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jul 2017, 16:42

It was also said the series will certainly share or tie into the Netflix series...which could be very fascinating

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Jul 2017, 19:17

I mean, the Netflix series ties into the movie and AoS universe. It means absolutely nothing except lip service though.
A League of Their Own!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jul 2017, 19:44

tokenBG1009 wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 19:17
I mean, the Netflix series ties into the movie and AoS universe. It means absolutely nothing except lip service though.

Well they specify the Netflix series in particular. Not AoS or Inhumans but the Netflix series. And given the showrunner also worked on the Netflix shows, I'd be more inclined to imagine a direct connection more than AoS and the films. Perhaps even more than AoS and Inhumans...

Link: http://www.cbr.com/hulu-runaways-marvel-netflix-mcu/

My X-Men Draft Picks: