unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Runaways

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Cable

Runaways

Post by Cable » 17 Aug 2016, 18:28

A Runaways tv show is in production for Hulu.

First of all: YES!!!!

Second: Marvel already has a deal with Netflix. Now I have to get Hulu too? :/
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

EphemeristX

Re: Runaways

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Aug 2016, 18:46

Wow. Being a comic nerd has never been so rewarding. Between this, the Fox X-Men shows, the Netflix Marvel ones, Agents of SHIELD, the CW DC block, the Cloak and Dagger one on Freeform, there is no shortage of great comic book TV to watch. And that's not even getting into the weirder ones like iZombie etc.

I don't want to get Hulu, though. Gah.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 18 Aug 2016, 04:13

Whoa! Awesome!

...However, I too am a little puzzled about the decision to bring this to Hulu. Diversify your bonds and all that, I get it, but a different streaming service than the one they already have a good relationship with? Seems a little odd. And we've heard a lot about the schism between the movie and television departments (to my everlasting frustration; do they even WANT to have a truly connected cinematic universe?? /endrant), this announcement doesn't feel like they're trying to make things any better.

Amidst that blast of negativity (will/can they even connect to AoS or any of the Defenders shows??) lol, I will definitely give this a chance. It's a story positively ripe with television potential, and they have a good team lined up. I'm in!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Aug 2016, 12:43

Well Netflix is only doing 2 series a year, so if they had Runaways, it wouldn't air until like 2021. So Netflix probably saw no economic reason to add a third series and ABC has a financial stake in Hulu.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 18 Aug 2016, 13:41

Good point, BC. As it is, we're not seeing Season 2 of Jessica Jones for two years. With Punisher added in, who knows if/when Iron Fist or Luke Cage will get second seasons.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Aug 2016, 14:10

I'll probably just get Hulu for one month, watch it, and cancel. $10 to watch a whole season isn't that bad I guess. In fact if I binge during a free trial I won't pay anything lol!

And as far as crossing over with other stuff, Runaways is a fairly self-contained property, or at least volume 1 was.

A big question is whether they will have the budget to pull off a good-looking Old Lace
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Aug 2016, 16:53

Or if they'll use her at all

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Aug 2016, 18:25

Blackcyclops wrote:Or if they'll use her at all
:x :x

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 18 Aug 2016, 19:43

Oh I hadn't thought about the ABC/Hulu connection. Good call.

I hear y'all on wanting a good Old Lace, but even more so, I just want dope SFX for Nico and Karolina. If they don't do those women justice, I'll cry.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Aug 2016, 20:48

If Old Lace is in it they will probably whitewash the character by making it a velociraptor. Velociraptors always get the starring roles over Deinonychuses.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Aug 2016, 22:41

Cable wrote:If Old Lace is in it they will probably whitewash the character by making it a velociraptor. Velociraptors always get the starring roles over Deinonychuses.

Lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cable

Post by Cable » 27 Aug 2016, 00:50

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:It's Michael Crichton's fault!
http://comicsalliance.com/cast-party-runaways-tv-cast/

"And she’ll look awesome alongside a CGI velociraptor."

I told you! Dang it! This has to stop!

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 27 Aug 2016, 01:05

I'm guessing Molly will be an Inhuman in this. Which would be cool because it would mean we get an acknowledgement of inhumans outside of Agents of Shield

Cable

Post by Cable » 02 Feb 2017, 21:51

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 02 Feb 2017, 22:40

Gert is skinny....

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Feb 2017, 23:38

the actress playing Karoline is ridiculously attractive...

But I really like the Gert actress but I agree with Xtreme, she is too slim.

Edit:
Checked her IG, she's not "skinny" but definitely not how I imagined Gert. And she's Latina, I dom't know why Gert was always Jewish in my head lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 03 Feb 2017, 00:16

She definitely was Jewish in the books, but I saw pictures of the actress, and she's pretty skinny. I mean, maybe she isn't Hollywood thin, but she's not a short, chubby (Jewish) girl either.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Feb 2017, 00:18

Blackcyclops wrote:the actress playing Karoline is ridiculously attractive...

Edit:
Checked her IG, she's not "skinny" but definitely not how I imagined Gert. And she's Latina, I dom't know why Gert was always Jewish in my head lol
They race-bent Molly too, which I dunno, that bothers me a little, and it bothers me that it bothers me.

Actors gain weight for roles all the time, but rarely actresses. Will be interesting to see if she does.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

Cable

Post by Cable » 03 Feb 2017, 00:23

Anna Raven wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote:the actress playing Karoline is ridiculously attractive...

Edit:
They race-bent Molly too, which I dunno, that bothers me a little, and it bothers me that it bothers me.

Actors gain weight for roles all the time, but rarely actresses. Will be interesting to see if she does.
Oddly it bothers me more that they changed Molly's name...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Feb 2017, 01:53

Well Gert's ethnicity really is hard to peg down, so her being played as non-Western European, isn't a stretch.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

xx mistah

Post by xx mistah » 03 Feb 2017, 02:59

This is pretty cool news. I hope it's good!
Runaways is it's own thing so I don't mind it existing on it's own while maybe referencing some of the wider MU in series similar to what the Vol 1. book did. All these different networks having MCU shows could symbolize the MU's different corners. When you want the street level stuff Netflix binge watch. If you want the big hero stuff head to the movies. Or if stand alone Runaways is your thing, well, get Hulu. lol

Noticed the race bending, and I don't mind. Would changing the race of characters that did not signify strong connections to their ethnicity/racial background in the first place really matter? In fact, it actually might add to a character's complexity and add diversity to a cinematic superhero universe where we primarily have white hero protagonists anyway. As long as their personalities are kept pretty much consistent with the original material, having a more diverse cast doesn't bother me.

As far as Gert is concerned, agreed with BC, she could still be Jewish without looking western European.

Cable

Post by Cable » 03 Feb 2017, 03:26

Some people are suggesting Molly's name might have had to be changed because Molly Hayes is a mutant character and thus would be owned by Fox. I wonder if that is actually true. Would be kind of weird.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Feb 2017, 04:17

Cable wrote:Some people are suggesting Molly's name might have had to be changed because Molly Hayes is a mutant character and thus would be owned by Fox. I wonder if that is actually true. Would be kind of weird.
But this is TV, not film...aren't there different things involved, as far as names go. Ugh, I just want to flarking know!

My X-Men Draft Picks:

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 03 Feb 2017, 07:53

Blackcyclops wrote:
Cable wrote:Some people are suggesting Molly's name might have had to be changed because Molly Hayes is a mutant character and thus would be owned by Fox. I wonder if that is actually true. Would be kind of weird.
But this is TV, not film...aren't there different things involved, as far as names go. Ugh, I just want to flarking know!
I find it amusing how the same questions appear every few months and people always forget something crucial:
The cut off isn't really between TV vs film but between live-action and animation.

Marvel can do whatever they want with mutants when it comes to animation... hence X-men TAS, X-men evolution, Wolverine and the X-men, the Wolverine anime and the X-men anime. It's also why Deadpool, Jean Grey, Professor X, etc can guest star in the other cartoons and the term mutant has been used even in the most recent animation shows. Marvel also used Wolverine in a direct-to-video animation film (Hulk vs Wolverine).
Marvel however CANNOT do what they want with mutants when it comes to live-action. Fox has those rights. Marvel tried to be sneaky with the Mutant X show and see if they could get away by changing names, gender/race swapping characters and giving them slightly different backgrounds. They still got sued (and rightfully so). Since then, the usage of "mutant" became a taboo term in everything live-action (whether it's film, Netflix or TV doesn't matter). Marvel still pushes it at times taking some "inspiration" from characters they have no rights to but have to be cautious about it.

Anyway, the point is, since this is a live-action thing, they cannot call Molly a mutant for sure (unless they specifically make a deal with Fox granting them the right for this show). They also cannot use x-characters (mutants or not). What is unclear is to what extent Marvel can use non-x-office related mutant characters as long as they don't mention they're mutants. Wanda and Pietro were always mentioned as exceptions due to their history so they don't count apparently (and they seem to have split them between the companies). Cloak and Dagger had their mutant status revoked in the comics (presumably in anticipation of their usage by Marvel on their own show). Molly was an open ended question regarding this issue. That's probably why people are speculating about the name change. It could very well be the reason... or maybe they're just trying to emphasize the diversity. I don't think we'll get a concrete answer for that. Neither Fox nor Marvel tend to be very forthcoming with the details of the contract.