Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Next up: Cloak and Dagger?

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Anna Raven

Next up: Cloak and Dagger?

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Apr 2016, 14:34

Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Blackcyclops

Re: Next up: Cloak and Dagger?

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 14:49

As a fan of Pretty little Liars, Fosters and Switched at Birth, I am totally here for this.

This network is perfect for this series. Surprisingly Freeform has some of the most diverse casts around. Hell, Fosters gave me my first introduction to the fictional story of someone transitioning and did it very respectfully.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Apr 2016, 15:04

So since Marvel can't call them mutants, what do you think they'll do? Explain it through magic? Call them Inhumans? Ignore how they got their powers?
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 07 Apr 2016, 15:09

Well, the most recent info on Cloak and Dagger has them not being mutants anyway. That happened when they were on the team back in the Utopia/Dark X-Men days.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Apr 2016, 15:11

Oh really? What are they now?

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 07 Apr 2016, 15:17

Anna Raven wrote:Oh really? What are they now?
Not mutants...
They really didn't go into detail other than having Dr. Nemesis telling them they weren't mutants. It was pretty ham-fisted actually (just like the Quicksilver and Wanda stuff and the more recent Squirrel Girl shenanigans). I guess they're just random science experiments.

I'm really surprised at ABC doubling down on these Marvel shows. They aren't exactly doing well compared to the rest of their programming. Out of 25 scripted shows, Agent Carter is 23rd and Agents of Shield is 20th. They are surrounded by cancelled shows and Agent Carter, in particular, had a major drop from last season.

Freeform doesn't have nearly as much audience though, so maybe that's the compromise they've done with Marvel. Send their shows into the less successful sister channel.
Last edited by _Rick_ on 07 Apr 2016, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 07 Apr 2016, 15:26

They're mutates. Basically, they got their powers from a process, like Spider-Man or Hulk.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 07 Apr 2016, 15:27

I'll at least check this out. Could be cool!

This kind of speaks to something I've been thinking about a lot lately - how there are more and more MCU shows out there and in development. We're seeing the MCU blow up in a pretty cool way here. Marvel comics have some pretty straight-forward branches as it were: traditional superheroes, cosmic, mystic, street-level, etc. As more shows and movies come out, we could start to see these genres represented in that medium as well, and thus see fans stick with these genres as they expand.

For example, many of y'all know I'm a cosmic nut, but I don't care for many street-level titles. That's kind of why I drag my feet on watching Daredevil and Jessica Jones - yeah they're awesome, but they're not the kinds of shows I'd watch in the first place. Guardians Of The Galaxy is my favorite MCU movie so far and I am positively geeking at the thoughts of what its sequels and what Infinity War could be. So it'll be interesting to see how the company manages this branching out moving forward.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 07 Apr 2016, 15:29

Freeform's been pretty good so far about not shying away from source material. Shadowhunters, for instance, preserves gay romantic plots that could have otherwise been glossed over.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 15:31

Well they were never meant to be mutants to begin with...

Making them mutants was just as random and a retcon to make hopefully make them more popular (just like the Great Lake Avengers).

If you consider the Squirrel Girl stuff as ham-fisted then you're prolly reading the wrong book tbh because it was done to be tongue-in-cheek lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 15:32

EphemeristX wrote:Freeform's been pretty good so far about not shying away from source material. Shadowhunters, for instance, preserves gay romantic plots that could have otherwise been glossed over.

Yeah they know their audience...Recovery Road is all about addiction, so C&D fit right in.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 07 Apr 2016, 15:34

Casting choices, everyone?

I'll say Sinqua Walls for Cloak and Crystal Reed for Dagger. They were both on Teen Wolf.
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 15:40

Tyler5618 wrote:Casting choices, everyone?

I'll say Sinqua Walls for Cloak and Crystal Reed for Dagger. They were both on Teen Wolf.

Don't be taking people from my Teen Wolf Tyler!!! J/k

Lol, but I think that's great casting though...I'm down with that. Who are their rogues? I haven't cracked open that series in years.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 07 Apr 2016, 15:45

EphemeristX wrote:Freeform's been pretty good so far about not shying away from source material. Shadowhunters, for instance, preserves gay romantic plots that could have otherwise been glossed over.
Indeed, although I'd argue that Shadowhunters is a good example that sometimes... they should.
It's embarrassingly obvious how the main character is a self insert for the writer and I say embarrassing not only due to the "Mary Sue" status but also because one must question the point of the incest subplot and the "subtle" multiple scenes of the aggressive boyfriend standing behind the main character, marking her skin whilst she winches in pain in a obvious reference to sex.

Let's face it, the gay pairing is one of the only things that is not totally cringeworthy and, at least some of the writers of that show, must know it which is why they've actually named one of the episodes after the ship "Malec".
Blackcyclops wrote:Well they were never meant to be mutants to begin with...

Making them mutants was just as random and a retcon to make hopefully make them more popular (just like the Great Lake Avengers).
It's hard to discus what they were "meant to be" or not, but it's not like they were made into mutants decades after their debut. They interacted with the New Mutants pretty early on and were defined as mutants just a couple of years after their introduction. They had been mutants for the majority of their comic book history until the Dr. Nemesis stuff.
Blackcyclops wrote:If you consider the Squirrel Girl stuff as ham-fisted then you're prolly reading the wrong book tbh because it was done to be tongue-in-cheek lol
Who says I'm reading it ;) Still, one thing doesn't preclude the other. A writer can do a scene to be tongue-in-cheek and it still come across as ham-fisted. That scene is an example of that. Adding a humorous tone doesn't excuse the flaws in writing in other fields, or at least it doesn't for me. That revelation was still awkward and lazy.
Last edited by _Rick_ on 07 Apr 2016, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 07 Apr 2016, 15:52

Both of those actors are like 30. I'd like someone a little younger playing my teenagers. I lived through Glee as it got progressively more embarrassing and I'd like to not start that way. If the show makes it to syndication, they'd be like 35.

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 07 Apr 2016, 15:59

@BC: it's my Teen Wolf too!

@EphX: BUt they still look young... don't be ageist, EphX.
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 07 Apr 2016, 16:08

Blackcyclops wrote: Who are their rogues? I haven't cracked open that series in years.
Their only real recurring nemesis was a dude named Mister Jip and his lackeys Night and Day. He's this evil mystic who can possess people and all kinds of weird stuff. Other than that, they mostly fought drug dealers and crossed paths with other NY street level heroes, so you could probably pull from Spidey, DD, Moon Knight, Punisher, Doctor Strange, etc.

Cable

Post by Cable » 07 Apr 2016, 16:26

EphemeristX wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote: Who are their rogues? I haven't cracked open that series in years.
Their only real recurring nemesis was a dude named Mister Jip and his lackeys Night and Day. He's this evil mystic who can possess people and all kinds of weird stuff. Other than that, they mostly fought drug dealers and crossed paths with other NY street level heroes, so you could probably pull from Spidey, DD, Moon Knight, Punisher, Doctor Strange, etc.
You would have to get permission from Sony to pull from Spidey though
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 16:37

OMG...Can they please find a reason to put in Werewolf by Night on here? Hell I think Moon Knight as a reoccurring Frenemy could totally work in this context. Netflix got enough emotionally distressed white dudes lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Apr 2016, 16:55

I wouldn't want Moon Knight on this just because I feel it needs to have the same hyper-violence as DD.I do hope they skew at least a little dark with C&D but I doubt they'll be able to do that too much on this particular channel.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 17:01

I mean how dark? This network deals with child abuse, coming out to your parents, transgender issues, rape, etc in pretty realistic ways.

I mean we don't need another DD...need variety. At least that's how I see it, I know that's not a popular feeling.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Apr 2016, 17:07

Blackcyclops wrote:I mean how dark? This network deals with child abuse, coming out to your parents, transgender issues, rape, etc in pretty realistic ways.

I mean we don't need another DD...need variety. At least that's how I see it, I know that's not a popular feeling.
I don't care if Cloak and Dagger isn't violent. That level of dark you stated above is fine. As long as it's not Glee + superpowers.

Moon Knight on the other hand, violence is a staple of the character. It's like doing Punisher without violence. That's all I'm saying.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 17:16

Oh, I get you...

Oh lord no Glee...no Glee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My X-Men Draft Picks:

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 07 Apr 2016, 17:17

Plus Moon Knight does bring variety in his split personality. Marvel got some flak for not making Iron Fist Asian but I actually think Moon Knight would be a good character to race swap.

I was kind of hoping Cloak and Dagger would be lent over to Sony for a Spidey movie. I'll keep an open mind for this show but doesn't sound too up my alley.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Apr 2016, 17:48

Like a team-up with Spidey?

My X-Men Draft Picks: