unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Legion TV series

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
tokenBG1009

Re: Legion TV series

Post by tokenBG1009 » 09 Feb 2017, 13:19

I watched it at first when I was sleepy and didn't understand anything. Watched it again when awake and understood a bit more, but yeah, it's clearly designed to be confusing
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 09 Feb 2017, 14:26

I imagine it'll become less disjointed as the show goes on. The first ep very nicely captured the disjointedness of not being sure what's real. I loved the music, especially when he blows up the interrogation room and it plays backwards. That and She's a Rainbow, because I friggin love that song.

I'm so down for this series.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 09 Feb 2017, 14:58

I DVRed it and haven't watched yet but I am encouraged by everything I've been hearing
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 09 Feb 2017, 23:42

A very interesting premiere episode. It reminds me of the classic show, The Prisoner for it seems to have quite a bit of recurrent symbolism throughout. Bold usage of colors, loved the music and the vague distinction between reality and fantasy is unsettling. The mysteries introduced here are compelling.

And I don't know if this is intentional or not, but having a character named Syd(ney) Barrett in this show with these types of psychological themes is an interesting nod, if you know your rock history.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Feb 2017, 02:36

This is the best looking comic book TV show but his hair is still wrong.

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 10 Feb 2017, 17:13

I did not like it much. Will give it another few eps to Improve and explain things, before I drop it.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Feb 2017, 18:01

Phoenixx9 wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 17:13
I did not like it much. Will give it another few eps to Improve and explain things, before I drop it.

What did you dislike?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Feb 2017, 02:46

Lenny looks like Cyndi, but she was a (supposedly) real dead person like Jemail Karami.
Odds on whether the Brand-X Men are also figments?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Feb 2017, 07:55

I knew just because it was Noah Hawley that I would love the music, and the production, and the sets, and the general feel of the show. It's really, really well put together. I think we all know where this is heading because we know all
about Legion from the comics. But I bet to a layperson who's unfamiliar with his backstory, the show will be a slow burn before they let the cat out of the bag. What will be fun for us is guessing who is real and who are his personalities. I'm guessing the whole little strike team at the end there including Sidney, are going to be in his head.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

xx mistah

Post by xx mistah » 12 Feb 2017, 17:10

Really liked the first episode, it was original, interesting and visually striking. I hope this direction wasn't just for the pilot before making the narrative more linear throughout the season. The confusing disjointed narrative style represented David's fractured psyche in an way where I was engaged, trying to figure things out and asked myself what is real and what's in David's head. I hope at least some of the side characters are real and not all part of David's personalities.

Also, it was a lot more "mutant" centric than I thought this show would be, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Could this show end up being a mutant "Westworld" ?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Feb 2017, 17:27

But less about the straight-male gaze? If so, then I'm here for it lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

medium13

Post by medium13 » 13 Feb 2017, 00:59

This was a slow burn for me. The visuals are amazing, but for a casual watcher there may not be enough story development to keep the blood pumping. It felt like the action sequences were placed accordingly but then dropped off the radar as part of the psychosis deviation. Although the last action sequence woke me up and left me wanting more.

Legion, as a character in comics does not have that much history to work with so I am hoping that the future episodes will give us something more. I'm of the opinion that he was Proteus 2.0, where the writer dared make him the son of Professor X but lacked the emotional weight of terrifying powers and sociopathic behavior.

This felt a little close to common superhero troupes found in shows where the main character spends an episode in the looney bin (Buffy, Charmed, Supernatural, Smallville, etc.) of which I'm generally not a fan. Lastly I was under the wrong assumption that this would be available en toto on Netflix. It annoyed me when I determined it was not.

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 13 Feb 2017, 18:07

Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 18:01
Phoenixx9 wrote:

What did you dislike?
Just the way the story was presented. It seemed very topsy-turvy to me.

Also while I know adaptations are different t han the comics, I thought it would be more like the comic character and with perhaps some familiar names, faces, appearances of other characters, etc.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Feb 2017, 22:05

Phoenixx9 wrote:
13 Feb 2017, 18:07
Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 18:01
Phoenixx9 wrote:

What did you dislike?
Just the way the story was presented. It seemed very topsy-turvy to me.

Also while I know adaptations are different t han the comics, I thought it would be more like the comic character and with perhaps some familiar names, faces, appearances of other characters, etc.
Yeh its like I said in another thread, the tv shows are becoming places to tell loosely affiliated stories, that only have the thinnest pretense of relating to the broader IP. In this case, David Haller is a mutant, and we know there are other mutants. That's all the tie-in to the X-Universe I expect to see. Now the flip side to that is, we are likely to see a very focused narrative, with little to no fan service, and little interference from studio execs, or editorial, or the story committee. I can find that refreshing occasionally, and Legion is a character I feel that doesn't need to be part of the bigger universe.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Feb 2017, 22:14

Sometimes editorial is needed, but in the hands of FX (who still have their hands involved) and Noah this story should be handled exquisitely...if its anything like Fargo (best show on TV imo) then this series will be dope. First episode was already great

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Feb 2017, 07:30

Ok Episode 2 actually just made me angry. Because if you replaced these characters with Rogue for Sid, Jean for David, Beast, Xavier, Cyclops, etc. and then put it in a movie, it would instantly become the best X-film ever. As it is, this is the best exploration of a mutant being taught about his powers in any media. Too bad its using replacement X-Men instead of the real thing.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 Feb 2017, 08:44

It's interesting how they're approaching Fauxavier as ableist. She's under the assumption that just because David's a mutant he can't be neurodivergent, which is a power fantasy that can be harmful to folks with genuine issues. Meanwhile the audience sees that both options aren't mutually exclusive.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 16 Feb 2017, 14:22

Anna Raven wrote:
16 Feb 2017, 07:30
Ok Episode 2 actually just made me angry. Because if you replaced these characters with Rogue for Sid, Jean for David, Beast, Xavier, Cyclops, etc. and then put it in a movie, it would instantly become the best X-film ever. As it is, this is the best exploration of a mutant being taught about his powers in any media. Too bad its using replacement X-Men instead of the real thing.
Alot of that has to do with the medium as well. Two episodes in, and David Haller already has more screen time than just about every X-Man outside of Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto (the next two are Deadpool and Mystique, who have 84 and 74 minutes each). These guys could be just about anybody, and them being on a TV show means they're going to get way more character development. C'est la vie. But yeah, this does make me wish we could get an X-Men TV show, production values notwithstanding.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Feb 2017, 17:05

EphemeristX wrote:
16 Feb 2017, 14:22
Anna Raven wrote:
16 Feb 2017, 07:30
Alot of that has to do with the medium as well. Two episodes in, and David Haller already has more screen time than just about every X-Man outside of Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto (the next two are Deadpool and Mystique, who have 84 and 74 minutes each). These guys could be just about anybody, and them being on a TV show means they're going to get way more character development. C'est la vie. But yeah, this does make me wish we could get an X-Men TV show, production values notwithstanding.
That is very true, it's just ironic, in my mind. I mean First Class wasn't far off from the quality we are getting in this show, but still, I guess I'm just a little burnt out on the Singer-verse, while Legion seems so fresh.

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 21 Feb 2017, 05:32

I forgot her name but about the blonde-haired lady wearing white and helping David understand more about his.....condition. Am I the only person who feels that she is a nod to Emma Frost? She reminds me of Emma Frost.

And the drug addict girl (I think they said her name was Laney), she reminds me of Cyndi, one of Legion's early personalities who has the power of pyrokinesis.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

medium13

Post by medium13 » 21 Feb 2017, 16:29

I had to re-watch Chapter Two. I had fallen asleep during my first view, which isn't uncommon for me. I'm enjoying this more and more. First, I think the second episode put a more linear structure on the story which made transitions much less jarring and better suited to forming a coherent story. It's also seems to keeps the visuals extraordinary and mirrors David's state of mind. I echo EMP's thoughts that Dr. Bird's assessment that David doesn't suffer any under mental illness, but is just manifesting powers is one of the most interesting aspects of this show. I like this angle very much and think it will be used as a cornerstone for the story.

Comparing this series to any X-Film or the characters isn't a productive comparison for me. This isn't the story of the X-Men or any individual member. This is David Haller's story and we are going along for ride. It's actually endearing me to a character that I previously wrote off as a "less than" Proteus with more character depth. I'd be disappointed to rehash another Wolverine, Jean or even Xavier story. This seems to be able to stand alone, although I would like to see a familiar face or character pop up at some point. I completely understand the feeling to compare Syd to Rogue. It's the most obvious of comparisons. I wish they did explore a bit more how Syd's powers worked. When Dr. Bird and her team discover they have Syd in the car, what was the process? She was previously in Legion's body. Did it morph back to her own? Did the switch in space and time? Did something else happen? Is she real?

The story moving along has also left plot points that I'm interested in exploring. Mostly the memory gaps and the potential villain - who I am hoping is a familiar face from comics.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 Feb 2017, 17:54

Lenny does remind me of Cyndi. And the Doc is totally a nod to Emma Frost.

xx mistah

Post by xx mistah » 22 Feb 2017, 02:54

The comparisons would be harder to make if the allusions to Rogue and Emma Frost were not so glaringly obvious to fans. Originally, Syd didn't remind me of Rogue but with episode 2's addition of gloves as accessories to her outfits, and the actress' resemblance to Anna Paquin, I couldn't stop thinking of her as "replacement Rogue" same deal with the prevalence of white and neutrals on Dr. Melanie Bird. I'm going to try to stop making the comparisons though, to enjoy the show. So far the story has been compelling and visuals incredible, intriguing and creepy. I want to know more about Summerland.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 22 Feb 2017, 04:54

Plus, and I think this is what irks us as fans a little, Syd acts much more maturely and interestingly than the "juvenile Rogue" we were given in the movies. Nothing against Anna Paquin, who only did the best with what she was given, but Syd is an adult who doesn't lash out or act on pure emotion. Sure she's a little defensive, she established clear boundaries, but she also craves a "mental romance". It's like we finally get to see a take on Rogue that takes her past her tortured teenage years. Only without a southern accent. And you get the other person's body in addition to their powers, but no memories.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 24 Feb 2017, 18:50

Chapter 3 - Did I have any thoughts about this? I'm glad we stayed away from some cliches like seeing some terrible done to the lost puppy or the creeper grabbing Melanie in the dream sequence. However, we keep getting glimpses of "He's too strong!" "Stop fighting me!" Those statements don't do as much for me. We get to see more of David's unique powers that seems to include teleportation and possibly astral projection? I think the story is becoming easier to follow and less topsy turvy, with purpose. I didn't love how it ended. The transitions on commercial breaks and between episodes could use a bit more excitement. I am still enjoying it very much though.