Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Sense8 on Netflix

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Tyler5618

Sense8 on Netflix

Post by Tyler5618 » 08 Jul 2015, 15:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKpKAlbJ7BQ

Has anyone watched this Netflix series? It starts out kind of slow but it's a great premise and builds as the season goes. Any Sensies out there?
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

No Coast Avenger

Re: Sense8 on Netflix

Post by No Coast Avenger » 08 Jul 2015, 15:47

Ah, I loved this show!

I can see where it gets criticism for sometimes being 'WTF' confusing, especially once you think about how some of the sensates interact, but there's a lot of good character-building. I love how
Spoiler: show
even up to the end, most of the characters stay separate and end up solving their own individual life problems, even as they use each other for help. It would have been lame if they had all just met up in person at the end, like, "oh, we're in a cluster, what's up y'all?" The writers were smart to mostly leave the ever-fateful first 'real' meetings for later seasons.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Jul 2015, 16:03

This show was so good! I actually put off Orange is the New Black to finish it.

One, I loved the inclusiveness of the characters. The fact that the only established relationships were the queer ones was a neat twist. I liked, too, that it didn't shy away from gay sex like so many other mainstream shows with gay characters (that isn't a "gay show") do.

Two, the locations were so beautiful. Switching constantly all over the globe gave the show the space to develop eight different plots.

Three, I thought it was really cool the way the show played with their powers. I can't imagine how expensive it was flying everybody all over the world to do all those on-location shots, but it really gave the whole thing an authenticity I appreciated.

I'm sure there's more, but I don't want to type forever. It was good.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 08 Jul 2015, 16:03

I completely agree, NCA. Plus, the way the characters interact is far more interesting in the way that it is done than any other way we think we wanted.

I love all of the main characters but I love Lito, Wolfgang, Capheus, and Sun the most. Their arcs were very well done, the actors gave super solid performances, and I just identified with them on another level.

And I agree with you EphX about the show not just paying lip service to the LGBT characters. I also liked that they were seemlessly bound together and the show didn't go the "let's make them uncomfortable with each other" route. A smart move both story and character-wise.
~ Si Spurrier

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 08 Jul 2015, 18:16

I enjoyed this, but I kind of have some issues with it too.

I really really REALLY hated that Nomi and Riley were pretty much played out as token victims for the entire of this season. Perhaps it's because I really thought that the actor playing Nomi was a poor actor (although kudos for casting a trans woman to play a trans woman, not so much for casting the WORST Doctor Who companion as her girlfriend), but she has nothing to do for a good two thirds of the show but play the victim, when, arguably, in a world full of digital storage and computer based EVERYTHING, she SHOULD be one of the most useful-- which she only really got to showcase in the last two episodes or so. As for Riley? I liked the character. I love the fact that this woman is perpetually running from a horrific past and numbing her pain with all kinds of drugs-- however, she has literally no skill useful to her cluster. Icelandic is a really obscure language on a global scale, and unless beat matching is going to prove to be a life-saving skill, I just don't really know how she's going to prove useful as anything other than the obligatory damsel in distress.

I also got really bored of Sun/the cop who's name escapes me right now turning up to save the day. I get why it happened because they have arguably the best skills to be able to deal with a direct physical confrontation, but it would have been nice to see more use of Lito "acting" his way out of a situation, as, arguably, one of the least connected members of the Cluster until close to the finale.

Capheus' arc I really enjoyed, and I LOVED that his was less a story of revenge or redemption, and more about him finding out how far he'd allow his morals to bend before he finds his actions changing him. He had the best of motivations for his actions, and I really loved that he was the positive influence for almost all of the cluster that he interacted with.

Sun's story was just so sad. I really felt bad for her, and I just loved that this calm and quiet woman is probably one of the most physically dangerous of all the Cluster.

Lito I loved. I loved that his arc went from really touching, to really comedic, to utterly desolate, and my GOD probably the best actor on the show. And he and his boyfriend were just adorable.

Will, I quite liked as guy-candy, but again, for a series that span so much on its head in terms of what to expect from each character, I felt that maybe there was a missed opportunity in having him trade places with Nomi's character in the first few episodes-- have this tough and capable dude be the one who is apprehended and about to be lobotomised, and it's her hacking skills that end up leading to his release... I dunno. I just think that Will was kind of a bland character.

Wolfgang I really enjoyed... His story arc was great and I loved that he and Kala were drawn to one another despite being entirely polar opposites in terms of their stances on violence and relationships.

Kala I also really liked, but felt that she could have had more of a story than just "I'm marrying a guy I don't love". And again, like Nomi, she actually has a skill set that could prove really useful, but only gets showcased at the very end of the season-- she could use her knowledge to end a fight, decisively, before it even begins, or apply it to the bunch of crazy drugs they all seem to be injected with on a semi-regular basis.

All in all, I think it was a really solid start to a series, but there are some things that could do with tweaking for the next season.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

No Coast Avenger

Post by No Coast Avenger » 15 Jul 2015, 22:43

I can definitely see some of the criticisms there, das.

The importance of the eight main characters makes their acting really crucial, and weaker players definitely stood out next to the stronger ones (which, for me, were Lito, Sun, Capheus and Kala).

Will, in particular, was really lackluster to me. Both his story and his actor, actually. It seemed like they were going towards using his career to explore serious social issues at a few points, but it felt very surface-level, and they're obviously abandoning that side of his story for now, at least.

It's interesting that you mention Riley being useless. I got the weird impression-- maybe I'm imagining things here-- but I thought that she may perhaps possibly have a wider range of musical talent, in part due to her father being a musician and teaching her as a child. The fact that she became a big-room dance DJ was part of her "escape", as she didn't simply give music up, just changed the direction of her creative talents. I could be wrong though.

Still not exactly 'useful' in an action/espionage sense, but the other sensates could individually channel her to make sweet, beautiful music. Who wouldn't watch that?

Also, I really suspected that they were going to go in the direction of having her become suddenly or semi-gradually successful as a DJ, which would make her useful in the sense of her having money, the ability to travel, celebrity notoriety... etc. Clearly, they're not doing that either at this point.

But I do feel like it's pretty heavily stated at the beginning that she's highly talented as a DJ. I can vaguely see where the writers could make that useful... Just not in the heavier day-to-day situations.

Musing on the characters individually, you can really see where they had a chance to go many different directions with all of these characters.

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 16 Jul 2015, 09:18

I checked this series due to your positive reviews guys. And yes it started slow, but I'm hooked after that fight scene with Sun/Capheus against the bad guys. I mean I find it very interesting & unique kind of TV series. They even makes me sing with them on that other episode & I felt like I'm one in their cluster, lol.
Looking forward to finish the whole first season. I'm still on Ep. 8...

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » 16 Jul 2015, 09:45

Yeah, I gave it a go cause others said it was worth checking out.. its SOO slow to start.. .. I guess maybe ep.4 will start to move things for me

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 22 Jul 2015, 14:49

Mastermind, I think you'll enjoy "Demons" :)
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

medium13

Post by medium13 » 24 Jul 2015, 16:21

They do spend an inordinate amount of time having the characters be mystified or even meloncholy by what's happening to them which adds to the slowness, but the series does pick up a bit.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 24 Jul 2015, 18:52

I won't lie. If it wasn't for Lito, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it. I'm glad I did though, it's very slow but beautiful at the same time. I've never seen such gorgeous location work on a tv series. That alone makes it worth watching.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Jul 2015, 01:28

Lito is, for my money, the most developed character in the series. And also HAWT.

Although I'm more a fan of Wolfgang for eye candy.

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 28 Jul 2015, 09:07

Finally done with season 1. I like that back to back fight scene with Lito/Wolfgang very much.
It is more than enough to root me for season 2...

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 28 Jul 2015, 18:44

Yep, it definitely picks up by the end. For season 2, I want a lot more connection/interaction between all of the characters like we get in the final 2 eps.
~ Si Spurrier

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 31 Jul 2015, 17:21

So I started watching this and I'm hooked. It's kind of like Mad Men in that some of the plots are really really slow but you really really can't stop watching.

At the moment I find Riley and the Policeman's plots the most boring.

Just finished "Demon", still got a few more episodes to go.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 31 Jul 2015, 17:44

Riley and Will's plots take a pretty cool swerve near the end. I want a season two, for sure.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

medium13

Post by medium13 » 03 Aug 2015, 16:44

I just finished and I enjoyed this, although I think the pacing was slow and I never felt like it sped up. The writers know how to insert dramatic tension certainly, but I did find myself thinking, "Oh did we even see so and so this episode?" or "Oh, I forgot that was going on." That's not a criticism, per se but rather an observation on how the pacing effected my viewing. There weren't many times where I thought, "I NEED to watch the next one."

I also wanted to see more diverse skills and maybe more round skills from each of the cluster. I get it that not all of them are going to have some nearly superhuman ability, but for a long time I didnt' really see what Riley or Kala were adding. Again, not to suggest I didn't like their stories or eventually see what they could add, but I would have like to have seen it earlier or seen more of their secondary characteristics effect the others. For example, Kala's compassion affect Wolfgang. For the most part I liked all these characters as well. There isn't one that I dislike.

This show has some of the most attractive people I've seen and very hot sex scenes and a lot of birthing sequences right after the other.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 08 Aug 2015, 22:55

It's just been renewed for season 2. Huzzah!
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Oct 2017, 19:14

WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL ME SENSE8 HAS A MACHETE FIGHT? I would’ve watched it so much sooner had I known in advance. https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... ense8-cat/

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Jun 2018, 00:30

Sense8 had the best wrap up for a prematurely cancelled show since Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... of-sense8/

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 15 Jun 2018, 02:13

Frankly, it had the best wrap up of any series I've watched other than Avatar: The Last Airbender. I loved it. I want more. Sense8 is probably my favorite show ever.