Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

DC Supergirl Show

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
tokenBG1009

Re: DC Supergirl Show

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 Oct 2019, 09:59

So Lena's gone completely insane because her best friend lied to her.

That's some...character devolution.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Oct 2019, 03:16

Five seasons & they couldn’t turn Jimmy into the Colossal Turtle Boy just once?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Oct 2019, 11:20

tokenBG1009 wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 10:54
I basically noped out of last season because it was getting WAY too heavy handed with the illegal immigrant allusions, but returned for the season premiere. Good to know CW has their recap game on fleek because I don't really feel like I missed a lot.

With that said, I could do without "my friend kept an important secret and now I hate them" storylines. Most of the people aware of Kara's identity only know through others. Wynn was the only one I can think she straight up TOLD who she was. Alex knew because they're sisters. Jimmy knew through Kal. I don't know how the lady I assume Jimmy's sister found out though. Lena's anger is valid and I don't think it should go away simply because Kara told the truth, but I don't really feel like "I WILL RUIN HER LIFE!" is necessary the best response.
I gave up on the CW shows a couple of years ago, but this has been their go-to plot point for years—and not just in the superhero shows. Arrow is the worst offender, doing this plot 2-3 times per season. There was some mediocre soap opera about a foster kid who meets her inept birth parents, which also had a “you kept a secret from meeeeeee!” wailing and moaning plot multiple times in a season. Same in that awful show with Blake Lively. I rented the first season of Veronica Mars, ‘cause I have a sort-of crush on Kristen Bell from The Good Place. It’s fine, but I can tell just a few episodes in they’re headed in the same direction. The CW writers need a better playbook

The worst part is the plot contortions they go through to justify the character keeping the secret in the first place. Half the time you’re wondering, why not just tell your friends so they can help you figure it out? The answer is usually “to protect them,” and it’s never persuasive or believable.

If they’re doing it with Lena, it’s even more ridiculous than usual, since they’ve heavily implied she figured it out for years now, and respects the secret being kept. If she hasn’t, then she’s dumb as a brick. I know this is a classic Superman trope, but Kent’s glasses are the butt of superhero jokes, not a plot to lean in to.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 30 Oct 2019, 12:03

Won’t tolerate bad talk about season 1 and 2 of Veronica Mars...Mars fans unite!!!!
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 30 Oct 2019, 14:16

Nu-D wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 11:20
tokenBG1009 wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 10:54
I basically noped out of last season because it was getting WAY too heavy handed with the illegal immigrant allusions, but returned for the season premiere. Good to know CW has their recap game on fleek because I don't really feel like I missed a lot.

With that said, I could do without "my friend kept an important secret and now I hate them" storylines. Most of the people aware of Kara's identity only know through others. Wynn was the only one I can think she straight up TOLD who she was. Alex knew because they're sisters. Jimmy knew through Kal. I don't know how the lady I assume Jimmy's sister found out though. Lena's anger is valid and I don't think it should go away simply because Kara told the truth, but I don't really feel like "I WILL RUIN HER LIFE!" is necessary the best response.
I gave up on the CW shows a couple of years ago, but this has been their go-to plot point for years—and not just in the superhero shows. Arrow is the worst offender, doing this plot 2-3 times per season. There was some mediocre soap opera about a foster kid who meets her inept birth parents, which also had a “you kept a secret from meeeeeee!” wailing and moaning plot multiple times in a season. Same in that awful show with Blake Lively. I rented the first season of Veronica Mars, ‘cause I have a sort-of crush on Kristen Bell from The Good Place. It’s fine, but I can tell just a few episodes in they’re headed in the same direction. The CW writers need a better playbook

The worst part is the plot contortions they go through to justify the character keeping the secret in the first place. Half the time you’re wondering, why not just tell your friends so they can help you figure it out? The answer is usually “to protect them,” and it’s never persuasive or believable.

If they’re doing it with Lena, it’s even more ridiculous than usual, since they’ve heavily implied she figured it out for years now, and respects the secret being kept. If she hasn’t, then she’s dumb as a brick. I know this is a classic Superman trope, but Kent’s glasses are the butt of superhero jokes, not a plot to lean in to.

Mention of the glasses brought to mind something that has always bothered me. I know it's a signature move, but why do the Supers have to remove or lower their glasses to use their x-ray vision? They're just clear plastic like any other stage glasses, right?

Edit: The reason I ask is that it seems like it would be a huge needless risk, since the glasses are a key part of their "disguises".
Last edited by sambadaemon on 30 Oct 2019, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Oct 2019, 14:19

Blackcyclops wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:03
Won’t tolerate bad talk about season 1 and 2 of Veronica Mars...Mars fans unite!!!!
I mean, as CW shows go, it’s in the top tier. It’s the same teen soapy melodrama, but with a dash of police procedural and Bell’s winning smile.
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Oct 2019, 14:58

NuD is right though. It's really the most irksome thing about these shows. At least Black Lightning has avoided it MOSTLY (although they do a bit of a variation on the theme by having it be typical teenage angst against their parents as a stand in for "horrible secrets"). I find my love of superhero hijinks and/or the charisma of the actors can usual keep me hooked in to watch these shows despite the horrible manufactured drama, but there is definitely a sliding scale. I am so sick of it on Arrow, I was pretty close to quitting the show altogether but the news that Felicity, the bane of my existence, was not coming back is enough to keep me going for the final season.

I used to think it was a Guggenheim/Berlati thing. But I guess you are telling me it happens on every DC show? (I only watch the superhero shows). Guggenheim even pulled it in X-Men with Kitty and Piotr.

EDIT: Thinking back, I just remembered that they did pull the HORRIBLE SECRETS card on Black Lightning with Gambi and his secret agent storyline. Mercifully the "I hate you, ok I forgive you" cycle went pretty quick with that one.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Oct 2019, 15:46

Anna Raven wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:58

I used to think it was a Guggenheim/Berlati thing. But I guess you are telling me it happens on every DCCW show? (I only watch the superhero shows). Guggenheim even pulled it in X-Men with Kitty and Piotr.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 30 Oct 2019, 16:11

Secrets are the currency of all soap dramas though...Jane the Virgin (a brilliant TV show) used it but it’s like a procedural using”whodunit”.

That said, Arrow overused it and used it very bluntly.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Oct 2019, 16:19

Blackcyclops wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 16:11
Secrets are the currency of all soap dramas though...Jane the Virgin (a brilliant TV show) used it but it’s like a procedural using”whodunit”.

That said, Arrow overused it and used it very bluntly.
Well, maybe that’s why soaps are pretty universally derided. Too much reliance on poorly written tropes.

(Secret confession: I like CW’s teen soaps. They do a good job casting cuties.)
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Oct 2019, 16:46

Nu-D wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 15:46
Anna Raven wrote:

I used to think it was a Guggenheim/Berlati thing. But I guess you are telling me it happens on every DCCW show? (I only watch the superhero shows). Guggenheim even pulled it in X-Men with Kitty and Piotr.
Sorry I meant CW.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Oct 2019, 17:12

Actually, after binging a chunk of s1, Mars does ok with the secrets thing. Mostly they have realistic narrative context, and there are not a whole lot of preposterous overreactions.

The real weakness are the fact that Mars and her dad are constantly committing felonies, and nobody bats an eye.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 30 Oct 2019, 18:30

Nu-D wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 17:12
Actually, after binging a chunk of s1, Mars does ok with the secrets thing. Mostly they have realistic narrative context, and there are not a whole lot of preposterous overreactions.

The real weakness are the fact that Mars and her dad are constantly committing felonies, and nobody bats an eye.

That's how thing are in Neptune...just go with the flow LOL...

Fact: All fictional small-ish towns follow completely different laws than normal real life towns. See: Sunnydale, Riverdale, the Las Vegas of the CSI universe, etc lol

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Oct 2019, 19:17

Anna Raven wrote:
NuD is right though. It's really the most irksome thing about these shows. At least Black Lightning has avoided it MOSTLY (although they do a bit of a variation on the theme by having it be typical teenage angst against their parents as a stand in for "horrible secrets"). I find my love of superhero hijinks and/or the charisma of the actors can usual keep me hooked in to watch these shows despite the horrible manufactured drama, but there is definitely a sliding scale. I am so sick of it on Arrow, I was pretty close to quitting the show altogether but the news that Felicity, the bane of my existence, was not coming back is enough to keep me going for the final season.

I used to think it was a Guggenheim/Berlati thing. But I guess you are telling me it happens on every DC show? (I only watch the superhero shows). Guggenheim even pulled it in X-Men with Kitty and Piotr.

EDIT: Thinking back, I just remembered that they did pull the HORRIBLE SECRETS card on Black Lightning with Gambi and his secret agent storyline. Mercifully the "I hate you, ok I forgive you" cycle went pretty quick with that one.
I knew this conversation seemed familiar...
6CB0CD0A-93A0-42D4-BD3E-3CBBFEA2E720.png
6CB0CD0A-93A0-42D4-BD3E-3CBBFEA2E720.png (816.02 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
He/him/his

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 30 Oct 2019, 23:32

The Flash has, generally, been less of a pain with it. Supergirl, until now, has been pretty decent with it. Black Lightning had the one big one, but resolved it within like an episode, so it wasn't that bad.

Arrow though. It's like the only method of creating drama that show has.

==========================================================
So, this episode of Supergirl managed to handle some things well. Brainy and Nia have a fight, and then make up as adults do. I mentioned before I basically skipped out on most of last season so I don't know much about Nia, but Brainy's reaction seemed...accurate? to what I've experienced of him.

Lena continues to make me want to pound my head against the wall, but I guess there must always be a Luthor?
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 31 Oct 2019, 02:54

Nu-D wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 19:17
Anna Raven wrote:

I knew this conversation seemed familiar...

6CB0CD0A-93A0-42D4-BD3E-3CBBFEA2E720.png
Yeh, haha it's been a constant beef with me and Arrow.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 Dec 2019, 23:33

Only Lena Luthor remains compelling. Unlike limp Leviathan, this’ll be what keeps me watching after the crossover.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... -catch-up/

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Dec 2019, 00:35

Lena Luthor remains compelling
I couldn't disagree with a statement more. She's become so...boring.

"You shouldn't have treated me like a villain."
...you're literally being a villain and no one treated you like one.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Dec 2019, 00:54

She did repeatedly tell Kara that everyone in her life betrays her & wasn't brought into the Superfriends trust despite all the aid she'd given them. Plus shouldering the guilt of killing her brother is extra stress for her breakdown. “Don’t hurt anybody” is one of the most benign forms of mind control.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 20 Jan 2020, 21:36

So did Crisis undo an entire season's worth of character development (like it or hate it) for Lena?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Jan 2020, 03:40

They'll probably magically hand wave it back to normal at some point.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 21 Jan 2020, 06:30

Lex made sure she remembers Pre-Crisis continuity.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Jan 2020, 08:13

Lena was just as miserable here as she's been all season so I'm not sure what you mean.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 20 Feb 2020, 00:49

The second half of Supergirl’s fifth season is already improvement for featuring Lex Luthor. I love that his reaction to learning of Leviathan is an overwhelming desire to destroy them. Dude loathes Thomas Hobbes! I’m gonna need one of those Lex Luthor action figures.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... sis-world/
They fixed Brainiac-5’s design!
I was hoping we’d get Toyman downloaded into a robot of the DCAU or Justice variety. How soon can we meet a Livewire doppelgänger in spiffy supersuit?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Feb 2020, 05:29

I really love Lex Luthor.

I really wish he wasn't part of the show though. It gives me the same issue with Supergirl I had with Arrow and using all of Batman's villains.