Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

DC Supergirl Show

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: DC Supergirl Show

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Oct 2016, 21:50

Is Melissa Benoist actual sunshine in a human-shaped containment unit? https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... supergirl/

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 27 Oct 2016, 22:14

President Olivia Marsdin is introduced as a really enlightened human ally of alien refugees, but at the end it’s heavily implied she’s an alien (after implying that she’s Themysciran because Lynda Carter). If she’s an alien, that makes her Presidency unconstitutional. Doesn’t this exemplify exactly the sort of unethical duplicity of aliens that Lena & Snapper raised concerns about? Wouldn’t it be a morally clearer message if she wasn’t gaming the system by pretending to be human? Needing a disguised alien to do the right thing on the planet’s behalf seems more cynical than this optimistic show could be prepared to delve into. Of course if Madame President is revealed to have been born stateside to extraterrestrials, I won’t have to fret about whether her administration is legal. https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... l-lantern/

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 09 Nov 2016, 21:19

So, is Lena Luther a bad guy?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 09 Nov 2016, 21:20

Nu-D wrote:So, is Lena Luther a bad guy?
I'm kind of hoping not. I kind of like the idea of a good Luthor. The mom is definitely evil though.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 09 Nov 2016, 21:38

Anna Raven wrote:
I'm kind of hoping not. I kind of like the idea of a good Luthor. The mom is definitely evil though.
Yeah, just finished the episode where that's the reveal. My bet is Lena's not a bad guy, but gets coerced into helping mom.

Also, sometimes the writers are trying too hard. Did they really need the theme from The Wire in the bar scene to tell us the cop is a hard drinker?

And they're moving Alex's story too fast, IMO.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Nov 2016, 22:50

Supposedly the official ship name for Maggie Swayer & Alex Danvers is Sanvers? That’s not nearly as metal as MAGLEX! I realized that Snapper Carr feels off because he’s more like Maggie Sawyer’s absent odd couple police partner & Jack Kirby lookalike, Dan Turpin. Maggie could also be improved if she had her blonde buzzcut from the comics. (Is it weird that I’m generally okay with racebending so long as their original hairstyles carry over?) https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... -dc-shows/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Nov 2016, 23:21

That's one of your quirks lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 12 Nov 2016, 02:23

Nu-D wrote:
Anna Raven wrote:
Yeah, just finished the episode where that's the reveal. My bet is Lena's not a bad guy, but gets coerced into helping mom.
Yup, that is exactly my take on it as well.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 Nov 2016, 09:53

Will Lena be the character everyone presumes is shady due to her relation to villains yet nobly sacrifices themselves in the seaon finale since Winn was spared that fate? The maternal reveal is going to feel more lackluster once it’s confirmed that Lena has been won over by the magic of Kara’s friendship like all her former quasi-antagonists last season. Maybe it’s just the Maglex vibe bleeding into everything or her being introduced like Margot Kidder’s Lois Lane, but now it definitely feels like lonely Lena is hitting on Kara.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 17 Nov 2016, 22:28

To give the impression of nuance, Parasite is obsessed with thwarting global warming. Sadly him saying that humans are the real parasites of Earth is as far as the writers go with making him seem like a compelling foe. He has to contend with not one but two rabid climate change deniers on his university board, one of whom is named Rand-O. The episode assumes it doesn’t need to show its audience that climate change is a genuine concern. This is just like the time it showed us a woman President who appeared to be a shady alien in disguise. We all saw how that influenced recent events on our Earth. https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... rogue-one/

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 17 Nov 2016, 22:49

The episode assumes it doesn’t need to show its audience that climate change is a genuine concern. This is just like the time it showed us a woman President who appeared to be a shady alien in disguise. We all saw how that influenced recent events on our Earth.
What are you insinuating, EMP? That Supergirl cost Hillary the election by tricking people into thinking she's a disguised alien? That now they're turning this nefarious power to tricking us all into believing in climate change?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Nov 2016, 00:38

First Supergirl gave the election to Trump now it's shown only dangerous kooks believe global warming is real.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Nov 2016, 01:28

It's funny, as I was watching all I could think was how much conservatives were gnashing their teeth about "libtard Hollywood" and their climate change agenda.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Nov 2016, 02:59

Staunch conservatives on imdb REALLY don't like this season.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Nov 2016, 18:05

That tends to make me like it more.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 22 Nov 2016, 11:12

Hank Henshaw sounds really dumb when he declares himself Cyborg-Superman without looking like Superman.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Nov 2016, 00:59

They gave no real explanation for 1. Why Jeremiah was free and wandering around Cadmus, and 2. Why supergirl had to leave him behind. Oh yeah, and when they took her out of her cell to put the helmet on her, why didn't she put up a fight? And for that matter, why keep her alive after draining her powers? Lots of silly plot hopes this week. Also not a fan of Guardian. I hope that subplot fades fast.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 29 Nov 2016, 10:13

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:Hank Henshaw sounds really dumb when he declares himself Cyborg-Superman without looking like Superman.
When they announced cyborg Superman I expected the actor who played Superman at the beginning of the season to return. Hank Henshaw's actor playing him seems odd

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Dec 2016, 01:23

I'm just getting around rob this weeks crossover episodes (of which this barely seemed to count). Some random thoughts:

-if Kara's dad made the virus to affect anyone but Kryptonians, then why didn't it also kill humans? Are we to believe Kryptonians didn't think of Earthlings as "aliens"? I think someone on the writing team just bungled that one.
-The Alex is gay plotline is fine, but they seem to be taking up an inordinate amount of time with it. I hope now that they are together it will stop being so melodramatic.
-I thought they tied up the J'onn becoming a white Martian a little too cleanly.
-Poor lil' Kalex

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Dec 2016, 07:36

Since her mom is Lillian (Lex’s mom was originally named Agnes in the comics before they went alteration mad), the insane part of me wishes they’d gone full Smallville & named Katie McGrath Lutessa Luthor. https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... -occasion/

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 05 Dec 2016, 22:05

Anna Raven wrote:I'm just getting around rob this weeks crossover episodes (of which this barely seemed to count). Some random thoughts:

-if Kara's dad made the virus to affect anyone but Kryptonians, then why didn't it also kill humans? Are we to believe Kryptonians didn't think of Earthlings as "aliens"? I think someone on the writing team just bungled that one.
yup. yuge plot hole.

Is the SG chapter of Invasion not out yet?

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 05 Dec 2016, 22:36

Nu-D wrote:
Anna Raven wrote:I'm just getting around rob this weeks crossover episodes (of which this barely seemed to count). Some random thoughts:

yup. yuge plot hole.

Is the SG chapter of Invasion not out yet?
That episode was the SG chapter. Basically that minute long scene at the end of the episode (that was shown again in its entirety on Flash) was the "crossover" part. :roll:

It was also the mid-season finale (SG is in hiatus at the moment).

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 06 Dec 2016, 16:21

LOL. I must not have been watching very carefully then, because I didn't get the sense that the invasion was resolved at the end of Legends. I was waiting for a big climactic battle in the next SG episode.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Dec 2016, 00:30

The big battle was up on the rooftops where Flash was running around dropping the "pain-devices" on the aliens. When the pushed the button and the aliens all started to run away, someone said over comms that the aliens all over the world had decided to retreat.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 07 Dec 2016, 04:15

Yeah, I must not have finished the episode. None of that rings a bell.