unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

DC Supergirl Show

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Anna Raven

DC Supergirl Show

Post by Anna Raven » 14 May 2015, 20:36

Surprised not to see a thread about this yet.

Here is the trailer if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo

I guess its getting a lot flack for being to stereotypically girly, or being too similar to the SNL Black Widow parody from a few weeks ago. But personally I thought it looked interesting. I just wish they would tie it in with the Flash/Arrow world they've built, but all appearances seem to be it being separate.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

XtremeOne1

Re: DC Supergirl Show

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 May 2015, 20:44

I just have to know what some people think looks interesting about it. I mean, a six minute clip is a good indication of what a show would be..The acting was terrible(especially from Kara and Cat Grant), the CGI not impressive, the writing yikes, it was way too rom-com-y. Listen if something is getting slack for being too much like an SNL parody, that's a giant problem.

I wish they would have just attempted Birds of Prey again.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 May 2015, 21:21

Hmmm. I can't speak for everyone but I guess here is what I thought looked interesting about it:

-Supergirl's background. Why is her sister so mad she saved their plane? Was her family forcing her to be "normal"?
-I liked that they aren't shirking away from the costume like Smallville did.
-I didn't have a problem with the acting, especially from Supergirl herself, though I agree with you about Grant.
-Overall it feels more like a fun superhero show, less of a downer than say Arrow

And then I don't think it necessarily SHOULD be getting flack for being too similar to the SNL parody. Because the premise of Black Widow in that situation IS hilarious, but with Supergirl, who is bubbly and young and finding her way, it makes sense. I'm not a huge fan of rom-coms either, but in this case I think it works more or less.

One last thing, that entire preview seemed to come from the pilot. So I'm thinking it still has room to grow as a show.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 May 2015, 21:40

Anna makes a really good point in reference to the SNL skit. I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard it sounds like the skit was funny because it takes Black Widow completely out of character. Those are not things I would ever imagine Natasha doing. With what I've seen and read of Kara those are things that I'd imagine her doing.

Now if this had been a Cassandra Cain show that argument would be legitimate. Same with Raven. There are just some characters who are going to be a natural draw for the more typical "teen-bopper, rom-com, slice of life" style of show.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 May 2015, 21:58

- Her sister was made she exposed herself and put herself at risk(it seems her sister works for that alien containment crew). Given her sister is seen at the end telling her to be super, I don't think anyone was "forcing" her to be normal but trying to keep her safe.
-Flash is able to feel like a fun superhero show without ever feeling like that....

Also the skit wasn't just funny because it was "out of character" for Natasha. Nor was that the point of the sketch. It was funny because it was taking aim at what movie executives feel women want from a movie. The whole "They really don't want action, they want romance and rom-com goodness", the whole "it better be girly or how can women relate?" is what the skit was trying to say.

If you watch it, I think it's bit more obvious.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 May 2015, 00:18

The Flash & Arrow get a fair share of criticism for focusing too much on CW love triangles. When they have good episodes they completely overcome this, but during bad episodes they're painfully cliched.
It's clear that the first trailer was put together by a marketing team trying to appeal to the broadest demographic so the rom-com elements got emphasized. There's a second trailer that's supposed to be more superheroic (with heat vision), but it's been inexplicably yanked from YouTube by WB.
I like the costume, the action, & her enthusiasm so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt despite the trailer having a lot of stuff I don't like as well.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 May 2015, 00:31

Funny thing is love-triangles and elementa of soap-opera are bread and butter of superhero comics and some indies...so it is kinda odd that for Supergirl it seems to be even bigger part of criticism for her than for Arrow/Flash...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 15 May 2015, 00:36

SO if this will be in the Flarrowverse, Arrow = Batman, & Supergirl = Superman. + the other reference of some of the JLA members, they could make a JLA series on this instead of that Legends something.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 May 2015, 04:44

The biggest problem with the Supergirl trailer is that it didn't even get 24 hours before the Legends of Tomorrow trailer rolled out.

marhawkman

Post by marhawkman » 16 May 2015, 20:57

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:https://youtu.be/QDUvQtDAJZ4
Oohh... nice. :D

Rickbarry

Post by Rickbarry » 16 May 2015, 22:13

The biggest thing this show has going against it is CBS. I don't have high hopes.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 23 May 2015, 21:49

So...

Has anyone else had their mind transported 6 months into the future and saw the pilot episode ? :P
I'm surprised that no one has commented yet considering all the buzz over the trailer.

I'm not going to go into deep spoilers (unless someone else is interested in discussing the particulars) but here's my general impressions:

Tone
Definitely a "feel good" kind of superhero show. There's actually a lot of positivity in the middle of the tragedy. It feels very colorful in parts (although naturally the major power scenes are at night). In terms of the feminist message (that I'd imagine is what a lot of people will be evaluating), it does a good job in some areas and not so much in others (as most shows). We have women in positions of power due to their capabilities (which is great). Howevers there were some particular lines that were cringe worthy as far as writers praising their own show and characters go which was less so. Hopefully it's just to set the initial tone and it will be more "refined" as it goes forward by "showing" instead of "telling".

Plot
Nothing special to be honest. It sets up Supergirl's main "purpose" well enough. It had some MAJOR contrivances though (as well as some stupidity that is at least explained as Supergirl being a rookie). The really interesting aspect (maybe because I'm not even sure if that character exists in the comics) was the last few seconds which, I'm guessing, are foreshadowing the main villain plot for the season.

The world
I loved that they continued the tradition of inserting old actors from the franchise into the new version. It was a cool moment when I recognized who the actors were. Here's hoping they become a part of the show in some way. On the other hand, some things about the world seemed strange, namely some contradiction about aliens being common knowledge or not.
Also, I don't see how this can crossover with Arrow and Flash as some people have been speculating. Supergirl doesn't fit with all we know about the world from the WB shows. At least not with the "present day" National city.

Supergirl
The actress does a good enough job but I got the impression she might be playing her a bit too young at times. It comes across really well in the fun scenes where she shows her enthusiasm about being a superhero. However, in the more emotional parts, she felt too much like a teenager rather than someone in their mid twenties who has gone through a massive tragedy. It felt a bit off. Other than that, the impression I got was that what you see is what you get. Kara doesn't seem to be all that deep. The show goes to great lengths to establish her as pretty much every stereotype of a rom-com character ever... but with superpowers. Nothing wrong with that but I felt like I wanted a bit more from the character that to hear about dates, clothes and how a man made her feel not good enough.

The sister
I liked her. For the most part the actress played her well (there were some awkward lines though but that might be the writing). Initially, this was the only character I actually felt was somewhat intriguing. Unfortunately, my main questions about her were answered during the episode. They should have left it a bit more open ended IMHO. She does get quite a bit of screen time towards the second half of the episode and seems like she will be a major part of the episodes. The show would do well to focus on her. Still, I feel like I need to point out that she comes off interesting mostly by comparison to the blandness of the others.

Male characters
They range from "might mean well but does patronizing jerk things" to "massive sexist jerk". There's not much else to say. They seem to be there just to be obstacules or support for the girls (which is not inherently bad) but it would be nice if a least one didn't come off as a somwhat of a douche. Jimmy is the better one (naturally as he is the love interest) and his presence could be seen as intriguing at first. However, as the trailer showed, that plot is resolved during the episode making you feel like his entire presence is a massive patronizing jerk move by Superman. Also it is a major reinterpretation of Jimmy so I can see some people having an issue with that.

Speaking of Superman... to me, the main questions that were left from the pilot were about Superman. Where is he? Why doesn't he show up? Why isn't Kara speaking to him? Why don't they ask for his input? I kind of feel bad that, in a female superhero show, all I can think about is "where is the guy" but he's mentioned SOOOO many times that it's hard to allow his absence to really escape your mind even if you want to. Rather than Jimmy being there to give Clark's blessing, Superman should have given it himself and be done with it. The problem is that I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. While obviously Superman has to be mentioned because he is a central part of Kara's story, they should dial it down a little.

Ultimately, I was unimpressed. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad at all. It definitely has a lot of room for improvement though. It had fun moments but lacked something to really hook me to the plot and characters. The pilot was actually very standalone. Apart from the last scene, nothing really goes massively unresolved and all the characters come across as very transparent.
Arrow intrigued me right from the start because I was left wondering what exactly had happened to Oliver on the island, what was the link between the names on the list, what was up with Moira, how Tommy's character would develop, etc. Flash had Well's overall shadiness (that the actor plays to perfection) and we had already been introduced to some of the characters. This pilot doesn't leave me feeling the need to know more about these characters. Everything that made me raise an eyebrow and think "oh this could be interesting" was resolved during the episode. It feels like a short little fun movie with a neatly closed plot but that has a little teaser at the end of the credits for a possible future project. Sometimes less is more. I think the showrunners would be wise if they actually cut a few scenes and push them towards later episodes leaving them time to breathe.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 05 Sep 2015, 00:39

Iddo Goldberg is T. O. Morrow & Red Tornado.
Jena Dewan Tatum is Lucy Lane. She's not rocking the Superwoman costume in her first photo. I flip a table like a rational person.

Psylocke828

Post by Psylocke828 » 05 Sep 2015, 17:10

Dang, Channing Tatum is one lucky SOB. I do wonder if they'll do the whole Superwoman thing with her eventually? Oh and Gen. Same Lane has also been cast. Glenn Morshower.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Sep 2015, 18:15

Huh, today I learned Superwoman was a villain.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Sep 2015, 14:07

That does not look good at all.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Sep 2015, 16:20

There's too much red. It needs some variation.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Oct 2015, 22:23

Why is this airing against Gotham? This does not compute.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Oct 2015, 22:29

Because DC has even less of a clue how to manage their properties than Marvel. :/

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 27 Oct 2015, 01:31

They probably figure anyone who is into Supergirl just won't be into Gotham.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Oct 2015, 01:45

tokenBG1009 wrote:They probably figure anyone who is into Supergirl just won't be into Gotham.
That's really uninformed. I watch Gotham, although it's not my favorite show, but I was excited for Supergirl and watched it as well tonight. (I saved Gotham for later on my DVR). Some people (me!) love anything about superheroes, it doesn't matter what gender they are. :x