Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

New Mutants film announced!

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EphemeristX

Re: New Mutants film announced!

Post by EphemeristX » 23 Jul 2020, 22:04

The New Mutants panel at SDCC@Home confirmed a theatrical release date of August 28th. (fingers crossed)

And, if it tickles your fancy, here's a clip of the opening scene as provided by SDCC along with the (hopefully) final trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nK4u5Ee5_8
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 24 Jul 2020, 02:01

I guess they'll release it with barely theaters open so they can get it to VOD asap as that's where this will make money.

I have to say, though i hate the fox-verse and glad it's dead, and think this movie(and the fox-verse's) colorism is insanely problematic, I'm excited for this movie and will rent it on VOD.

Also Roberto is hot(but problematic...again)

X-Continuity

Post by X-Continuity » 24 Jul 2020, 13:33

XtremeOne1 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 02:01

Problematic?

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 24 Jul 2020, 14:09

X-Continuity wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 13:33
XtremeOne1 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 02:01

Problematic?
He's been super manipulative, "The only thing that matters is what I want" in New Mutants.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 24 Jul 2020, 15:17

Just put it on Disney+ !

I’m confused is Roberto the character problematic or the actor (not withstanding casting)?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 24 Jul 2020, 15:46

Roberto DaCosta and Cecelia Reyes are afro-latino. The afro part of their heritage was basically erased by their casting. I'm assuming that's what XTremeOne1 meant since they mentioned colorism.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 24 Jul 2020, 16:23

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought Xtreme was talking about the character's recent behavior.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 24 Jul 2020, 17:39

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago, some of the cast went to Brazil's comic con. There were several interviews online with the actors portraying Sunspot and Reyes (in Portuguese). Both were selling the crap out of the movie but Alice Braga in particular was doing great PR. You could also see why they cast Henry Zaga. The guy exuded major Sunspot vibes in those interviews. He was constantly praising Alice Braga, always had a coy smile and was very personable. The main difference being that he was a relatively humble and quiet.

I feel like whenever this issue of casting people from other cultures comes up, Americans tend to focus a lot on skin tone. It's very understandable and valid due to US history and the particular issues that Holywood has regarding colorism. However, if we are going to be talking about good representation, respecting other aspects of their cultural background is also extremely important. During interviews, several reporters pointed out how Hollywood has a habit of just casting any person with an Hispanic background, having them mumbling Spanish and calling them Brazilian. They were happy that an actual Brazilian is going to be playing the character this time. One interviewer was apparently invited to be on set when they were filming. He was ecstatic about the fact the he witnessed "Sunspot" introducing himself in a scene by pronouncing "Roberto da Costa" as a Brazilian should (rather than an Americanized version of the name). The actor responded by saying that he made sure to use the carioca accent (the one from Rio de Janeiro) since that's the accent Roberto would have. These things matter to many Brazilians even if they are imperceptible to many others.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 24 Jul 2020, 20:11

I can understand Sunspot's actor choice since he's frequently appeared quite light-skinned in the comics. Isn't his mom white? Reyes though, she's always been shown as dark-skinned, and I honestly tend to forget that she's Puerto Rican (which appears to have been changed to Brazilian for the movie). So almost seems kinda on that borderline between "not really understanding the background" and "purposely changing it."

Also that's Slipknot as Dani's father, eh? Lasted about as long as he did in Suicide Squad I guess.

That opening scene was pretty rough, if that's the finished cut of the movie I don't have my hopes up. At least Magik and the Demon Bear look cool.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 24 Jul 2020, 21:01

Sunspot is explicitly is the product of an interracial marriage. It's cool they cast a real Brazilian, but it's not like they couldn't have cast a biracial one.

The parable about the bears is false: https://crossingenres.com/you-know-that ... d93ea4ebff

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 24 Jul 2020, 21:06

It's not about talent or charisma. Alicia Barga is the lead on Queen of the South and she's an excellent actress.

But the fact is, darker skinned actors and especially actresses, have such a hard time in Hollywood. Read up on a lot of what Viola Davis has said in the past and recently. She's one of the most talentes cirrent actresses(Meryl level) and she struggled and still struggles with Hollywood racism, and lack of opportunity due to being not only being a WOC but one with darker skin.

Thats my point. It's just a shame afro-latinx actor and actresses weren't given these roles. Its the loss of opportunity for people who don't get opportunities.

But I don't want to overtake this thread with this. Just wanted to explain where I was coming from

medium13

Post by medium13 » 24 Jul 2020, 21:17

So what's the quote about him being manipulative about ? That's where I got confused. The casting issue has been discussed multiple times on the thread.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 24 Jul 2020, 21:25

medium13 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 21:17
So what's the quote about him being manipulative about ? That's where I got confused. The casting issue has been discussed multiple times on the thread.
I believe sabademon was talking about the character in Hickman's New Mutants.

X-Continuity

Post by X-Continuity » 24 Jul 2020, 22:29

Is Henry similar to Adan Canto? They are supposed to be the same person.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 24 Jul 2020, 22:41

Magnus wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 20:11
I can understand Sunspot's actor choice since he's frequently appeared quite light-skinned in the comics. Isn't his mom white? Reyes though, she's always been shown as dark-skinned, and I honestly tend to forget that she's Puerto Rican (which appears to have been changed to Brazilian for the movie). So almost seems kinda on that borderline between "not really understanding the background" and "purposely changing it."
I think it was more out of desperation. They originally cast Rosario Dawson. She's a New York born, afro-latina with Puerto Rican ancestry. That's pretty close to the character in that regard. Dawson abruptly left just a couple of weeks before they were to start filming. This meant that they had to figure out some replacement last minute. That's when Braga stepped in. It's unfortunate but for that one I can give them a pass.
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 21:01
Sunspot is explicitly is the product of an interracial marriage. It's cool they cast a real Brazilian, but it's not like they couldn't have cast a biracial one.
I'm pretty sure he's biracial. Just looking at him he seems to have stereotypical Iberian and Indigenous features. He just doesn't look half-black if that's what you mean.

I agree that it would be best if they got someone like him that would also be more of a racial match. However that's always easier said than done. Do you know anyone who would be a better fit? Googling for Brazilian actors, I can't find many options. Let's be real here, Hollywood is not going to cast someone for such a big role than doesn't have some experience with American productions, so that's not a big list from the get go. Most are women. The vast majority of the men only make the jump later in life and are over 40. The closest I got was Alfie Enoch. Apparently he has a white British father and a Black Brazilian mother. He was raised in the UK though so he's culturally British. While he does speak Portuguese remarkably well for an Englishman, you can tell he's not native. The way he carries himself is clearly more English than Brazilian. Enoch might be a better match in terms of skin tone (and he is an amazing actor)... but Zaga is better in almost all other aspects. Zaga's build, age, behaviour, culture and language are closer to Roberto. And this is assuming he would do it. Enoch seemed to be on an hiatus at the time.
XtremeOne1 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 21:06
Thats my point. It's just a shame afro-latinx actor and actresses weren't given these roles. Its the loss of opportunity for people who don't get opportunities.

But I don't want to overtake this thread with this. Just wanted to explain where I was coming from
I don't necessarily disagree with you. Like I said, it's a very valid concern. I'm just pointing out that there are other ethnic aspects that often go ignored in these conversations and that are extremely important representation wise.

X-Continuity

Post by X-Continuity » 25 Jul 2020, 19:25

I just have A LOT OF FUN with timelines, time travel, alternate universes and the mutant characters I love.

I got a new theory about THE NEW MUTANTS. It's my personal thesis and canon. You're 100% free to discard it.

THE NEW MUTANTS is set in the EIGHTIES of the Original Timeline, in my mind it's set in the year 1988 or so, 5 years after the events of X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE.

In "First Class" (1962) and "X-Men Origins" (1983), mutants were still largely unknown to the human population, and their "rise" in the public consciousness/knowledge only started in the nineties.
According to THE NEW MUTANTS, the young guys don't know what a "mutant" is, and this fits into the scenario depicted by the original timeline, not the altered timeline.
In my timeline, the original trilogy is set in 1999-2000.

So basically:

X-Men: First Class - 1962
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 1973/1983
The New Mutants - 1988
X-Men - 1999
X2 - 1999
X-Men: The Last Stand - 2000
The Wolverine - 2008/2010
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 2023

This also means that:

As the cinematic Havok/Cyclops relationship, Illyana Rasputin/Magik is the older sister of Piotr Rasputin/Colossus (original trilogy).

Henry Zaga's Sunspot is the father of Adan Canto's Sunspot. This would also explain the ethnic difference and the different solar powers (I guess).

Just my 2 cents. Peace and love.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 26 Jul 2020, 17:55

One thing I'm definitely excited about...Rahne's wolf form. We've yet to see it. Or Dani's arrows!

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 27 Jul 2020, 13:06

Yeah, I was referring to the Sunspot character, not the actors. He's always been conceited, but seeing it from his perspective lately and getting his inner monologue has really driven it home how much he only cares about his own wishes (and maybe Sam's).

X-Continuity

Post by X-Continuity » 28 Jul 2020, 18:59

Josh Boone:

"We were lucky. They really did want it to be different than other stuff. They really pushed us to keep it separate from X-Men stuff, even though it’s set in the X-Men universe. We had early drafts that were supposed to be in the same timeline as [X-Men:] Apocalypse, so it was originally going to be set in the ’80s. Originally, Professor X and Storm were in it, and Storm very much played the Alice Braga role. Over the course of months, a new studio head came in, they said they didn’t want any X-Men movies to take place in the past anymore, as if that was the reason that Apocalypse was bad. [laughs] So we were put in the position where we kind of rewrote it to be set now in a nebulous [point in time], because nobody knew how the movies had turned out. Dark Phoenix wasn’t out yet. Yeah, it’s there – they talk about Professor X and those things, but it doesn’t have cameos from anyone or anything like that."

https://www.slashfilm.com/new-mutants-setting/

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Aug 2020, 01:49

If you want a vision of the future, imagine The New Mutants being delayed ... forever.

Cable

Post by Cable » 19 Aug 2020, 00:18

While Warlock did not make the cut, he would have likely been played by Sacha Baron Cohen
Best Comics of Week 39

Best X-Comic: Juggernaut #1 by Fabian Nicieza (1) and Ron Garney (1)
Best Non-X Comic: Immortal She-Hulk #1 by Al Ewing (9) and Jon Davis-Hunt (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of the week this year

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Aug 2020, 01:41

Sounds like a dodged bullet.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 19 Aug 2020, 16:21

There's been a couple of new teasers for this:

New Mutants in 60 s (explains the basic story of the movie):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6orc4EQLw

Another scene with a great shot of Magik summoning the soulsword. It's not really major spoilers if you read the original comic but it's obviously relatively late in the movie's plot so don't watch it if you don't know how the story goes and want to be surprised. Seems like Anya Taylor-Joy is nailing Magik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8aIR41mKI

medium13

Post by medium13 » 19 Aug 2020, 18:38

I'm so disappointed this isn't just going to be released on a streaming platform. I am more than happy to buy it and view it rather than go to a theatre right now....which I know I won't. I'm going have to wait for it to come out anyway.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 19 Aug 2020, 21:09

I'm considering driving an extra 40 minutes to the nearest drive-in cinema. The problem is they don't guarantee parking even if you buy tickets online. ""If no proper spots are available at showtime, sadly, you will forfeit your parking spot and admission tickets prepaid online." Since they can't do screenings during the day, there's not many options to avoid a rush.
Or I could try to see a matinee at the local cinema when hopefully it'd be less crowed. I would wear a mask & latex gloves for the duration of the visit. I've worn them for longer before.