Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

New Mutants film announced!

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: New Mutants film announced!

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 17 Oct 2017, 03:48

Hasbro owes us Moonstar!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 17 Oct 2017, 03:58

I loved the Lockheed plush in the shot with young Illyana. I am hoping that the scene is part of her backstory where she is kidnapped and taken to Limbo. An early storyboard indicated we would see the real Lockheed so maybe Magik befriends him in Limbo.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 17 Oct 2017, 09:12

Milkshake08 wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 01:53
It's not my type of movie, but I'm still going to see where it takes me. It might end up being brilliant.

Please tell me that is not going to be Cecelia Reyes' onscreen appearance. I was very excited for her because she is an afro Latina, very rare in cinema, and because I just love her story arc. If you can't tick either of those boxes off why bother? Now I'll just hope there's an awesome Marvel Legends new mutants line that has a comic version of her when this comes out (and maybe Magik, Dani, and Sam too? One can dream).
Yeah, that's her. There have been minor rumblings of discontent among people because of her and Roberto's castings.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 23 Oct 2017, 03:37

tokenBG1009 wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 09:12
Milkshake08 wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 01:53
It's not my type of movie, but I'm still going to see where it takes me. It might end up being brilliant.

Please tell me that is not going to be Cecelia Reyes' onscreen appearance. I was very excited for her because she is an afro Latina, very rare in cinema, and because I just love her story arc. If you can't tick either of those boxes off why bother? Now I'll just hope there's an awesome Marvel Legends new mutants line that has a comic version of her when this comes out (and maybe Magik, Dani, and Sam too? One can dream).
Yeah, that's her. There have been minor rumblings of discontent among people because of her and Roberto's castings.
Sigh. Well I can at least hope that means she might get a resurgence in the comics...but hopefully not changed into some creepy villainous lady with a much lighter skin tone and lacking her super awesome dreds.

@EMP-yeah, they do owe us one! The new Marvel Legends are awesome, and I'd love some New Mutants characters to go with the collection. And getting a Cecilia figure would make my life, since she's one of my favorite X-Men, and probably my fave D lister.

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Jan 2018, 21:51

This movie was supposed to come out this year but is now being pushed back to next year.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Jan 2018, 22:33

Yeah, I saw that. Though insider talk is that they didn't want New Mutants to compete with Deadpool in certain markets, the move doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in the movie.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 12 Jan 2018, 00:50

This movie was sandwiched between Black Panther, Infinity War and Deadpool. That's a really tough spot to be in. It was bound to be overlooked or serve as a punching bag for critics had it stayed in its original release schedule.
Now it will be near Hell Boy, Captain Marvel and Shazam. Those will be far more forgiving competitors. I really can't blame them for moving it and it could end up being beneficial in the long run.

Anyway, supposedly they will be doing reshoots to up the horror elements:
Word on the street is that after the film tested well but not great, the studio decided to actually embrace the film’s horror elements and beef up the scares in the wake of the success of It and Get Out last year.
source

Honestly I really hope this does well. Josh Boone clearly loves the source material so I want to see what he can do with it. I'm curious about the trilogy he pitched at Fox that reportedly impressed them so much they decided to give him a shot. I'm guessing a trilogy would be perfect to tell Illyana's story. Can you imagine Inferno in the big screen?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 12 Jan 2018, 00:57

Well, that makes me feel a little better. If they want to go all out with the horror elements, I'm down.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 12 Jan 2018, 05:24

Gutted. But I am a little relieved as I was worried about the tonne of huge superhero films around it.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Jan 2018, 10:08

;_;

why
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 18 Jan 2018, 22:03

I actually have a friend who was part of the New Mutants test screening (he attends a film school and goes to a lot of things like that). He said he wasn't impressed, but he probably would have liked it better if he already knew the characters. The most interesting thing he said was that he "didn't know it was supposed to be a horror movie until [he] went online afterwards" (he avoids all trailers and information before watching a movie). Also, he noted that people might look at it in a better light because it has a "progressive subplot". I couldn't get any specifics out of him on that. I asked him if Lockheed was in it, and he didn't know who that was. After explaining that he's "the dragon", my friend mentioned that he signed a form saying that he can't really talk about what actually happened in the film.

He jokes that he "feels guilty" about being part of what set the film back. If anyone has any really vague questions about the cut that was shown, I'd be happy to ask him.
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 25 Feb 2018, 23:35

Got more information out of him. Some major spoilers, though it's possible they might change as the film is worked on.

One is about a romantic relationship that no one really would have guessed:
Spoiler: show
Illyana and Dani become an item.
The other is about the villain(s):
Cecilia Reyes is the main antagonist, but she's supposed to be someone we're sympathetic towards. Also, there is a demon bear.
Also, about Lockheed:
Lockheed is just a puppet that Illyana carries around and talks to. She "speaks" for him.
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 26 Feb 2018, 04:47

Eh none of those spoilers are great in terms of me being excited for the movie

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 10 Mar 2018, 15:55

LockheedAndLoaded wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 23:35

while I think some LGBT representation is good, I always thought Illyana was asexual and think that would be even better to show in a mainstream movie. Has Illyana ever shown interest in a relationship in the comics?
Adding a character this late doesn't seem to bode well for film as is and also editing will have to be good to make it work with old stuff!
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

grief

Post by grief » 10 Mar 2018, 22:36

Magik84 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 15:55
LockheedAndLoaded wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 23:35

while I think some LGBT representation is good, I always thought Illyana was asexual and think that would be even better to show in a mainstream movie. Has Illyana ever shown interest in a relationship in the comics?
Adding a character this late doesn't seem to bode well for film as is and also editing will have to be good to make it work with old stuff!
Once Louise Simonson took over New Mutants, all of the girls became rather boy crazy, including Illyana. While she never started a relationship, she was attracted to guys, just no one in the cast of New Mutants.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 10 Mar 2018, 22:40

I haven't read all of Simonson's run, but that must not have stuck in my memory, guess I'm used to to the multiple love triangles that the other X-Men have :p
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl