Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

New Mutants film announced!

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Blackcyclops

Re: New Mutants film announced!

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Aug 2020, 22:05

Jesse James II wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 21:56
Imagine we let our bias go and this movie could be good... 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, my bias against catching Covid-19 in poorly ventilated movie theaters is something I can’t shake lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Aug 2020, 22:56

Jesse James II wrote:
Yeah, who cares that minorities wish to be properly represented and not have the few that exist be white-washed. 🤷‍♂️
Blackcyclops wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 20:31
The drive-ins in NJ and PA are only playing Bill and Ted and that Russell Crowe movie...1
Mine's down to 1 movie a night and it's Bill & Ted. I'm annoyed. I'd say maybe next weekend, but that's the weekend of Tenet so probably not. I'll catch it online, eventually.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 28 Aug 2020, 23:06

My local drive-in is playing Bill and Ted and...Beetlejuice.
Best Comics of Week 28

X-titles: Excalibur #22 by Tini Howard (3) and Marcus To (3)
Non-X titles: Extreme Carnage--Scream by Clay Chapman (1) and Chris Mooneyham (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 29 Aug 2020, 03:57

I saw the movie and I mostly liked it. It was enjoyable to see these characters on screen and I liked that they spent most of the movie on characterization. However, they are quite different from the comic versions, so be prepared for that. In my opinion, this is in the middle of the X-men movies in terms of quality.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions, Immortal Hulk, X-Factor, New Mutants, Hellions, Marauders

Cable

Post by Cable » 29 Aug 2020, 04:02

Not a lot of reviews in but on Rotten Tomatoes it has a horrifying 20%.
Best Comics of Week 28

Non-X titles: Extreme Carnage--Scream by Clay Chapman (1) and Chris Mooneyham (1)

Jesse James II

Post by Jesse James II » 29 Aug 2020, 09:47

tokenBG1009 wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 22:56
Jesse James II wrote:
Yeah, who cares that minorities wish to be properly represented and not have the few that exist be white-washed.
That is not what I meant, but if you choose to take it like that, fine. I will try to enjoy in when I see it anyway.

Jesse James II

Post by Jesse James II » 29 Aug 2020, 09:49

Blackcyclops wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 22:05
Jesse James II wrote:

Sorry, my bias against catching Covid-19 in poorly ventilated movie theaters is something I can’t shake lol
I know. I am struggling whether to see it in theaters or not. Although they claim that all is safe and covid-proof, Iam not fully convinced.

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 29 Aug 2020, 16:15

Yeah my local theaters are still shut down so no cinema viewing of anything for me.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 29 Aug 2020, 22:09

So I got an opportunity to see the movie in safe conditions. It's... OK. Good in parts... not so good in others.

I mostly agree with WorldWideWade. It's very atypical as far as "superhero" movies go which is both a good and a bad thing. It spends a lot more time with characterization than you would expect and as a result is fairly "light" on action set pieces particularly in the first half of the movie. Still, there's 5 characters to introduce (6 if you include Cecilia) and you can only do so much in that time especially when the premise is that your characters aren't that forthcoming with their stories. Honestly, I really think this would have done better on streaming. In fact, the feeling I got is that this would be PERFECT for a short series on Netflix. They should have done 6 episodes (one for each character's origin and one for the final showdown) and it could have been amazing. The cast isn't bad and I actually think they have good chemistry. However, something is amiss IMHO. They kept trying to make stuff mysterious that really wasn't. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with the source material or maybe the trailers spoiled too much of the movie but the only "surprises" were how they tweaked the details of the origin stories and the TV show they replaced "magnum PI" with.

X-Continuity

Post by X-Continuity » 30 Aug 2020, 22:59

_Rick_ wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 22:09
were how they tweaked the details of the origin stories and the TV show they replaced "magnum PI" with.
What is the TV show?
And can you describe me the references to the previous X-Men movies?
You can send me a PM. Thank you so much, really.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 31 Aug 2020, 00:00

X-Continuity wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 22:59
_Rick_ wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 22:09
were how they tweaked the details of the origin stories and the TV show they replaced "magnum PI" with.
What is the TV show?
And can you describe me the references to the previous X-Men movies?
You can send me a PM. Thank you so much, really.
Sent you a PM.

If you guys are interested I can do a bit of a spoiler breakdown for those that can't see the movie. Honestly you can kind of piece the movie together from the trailers but I can fill some gaps if there's interest.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 31 Aug 2020, 00:10

Since I won’t see this, I’m game for spoilers.
He/him/his

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 31 Aug 2020, 01:56

I already had one spoiler surprise me, but I'm okay with more. This is a movie I'll see in months.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 31 Aug 2020, 02:55

Don't forget to use spoiler text!

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 31 Aug 2020, 18:56

I'm sure Rick can create a post that explains the movie better than I can but for those that want a cliff notes of the major back stories of each character see below. Do not read if you want to watch the movie as this gives away most of the plot points and "surprises". I realize some of them are a pretty big departure from the source material but I find the changes mostly worked in the context of the movie:
Spoiler: show
Dani Moonstar: The main character that the entire plot of the film revolves around. The reveal that her unknown power is causing the horror elements to appear is no surprise to any of us here on an X-men fansite, but may have fooled some of the younger audience this movie seemed to cater towards. Also she starts a queer relationship with Rahne.

Rahne Sinclair: Her back story remains largely intact. She kills the reverend after he beats and brands her as a witch. I liked her portrayal in the movie and her homosexual feelings add an additional layer of religious guilt to her character.

Illyana Rasputin: She has been so traumatized in her past by evil men who used her as an assassin that she created Limbo as an escape. The exact nature of her powers are vague in the movie but they function essentially like they do in the comics. She acts like a real bitch to everyone as a coping mechanism and carries a Lockheed puppet around as a security blanket that she talks to. Lockheed manifests as an actual dragon as we know him at the end of the film somehow.

Roberto DaCosta: His back story is also largely unchanged. He is a rich cocky horndog but is actually a virgin afraid of intimacy because of how he killed his girlfriend when they started getting hot and heavy.

Samuel Guthrie: His story is fairly similar as well except that he actually killed his father and most of his crew in the mine accident when his powers manifested. Because of this guilt he often tries to hurt himself.

Dr. Cecelia Reyes: She is a full on villain. She turns out to be lying to all of the teens, pretending that the hospital is a farm team for the X-men. In fact it is run by the Essex corporation who want to turn them into weapons. Her back story is not given and her powers are force fields on a much larger scale than in the comics.

The Demon Bear: A manifestation by Dani that wipes out her tribe at the beginning of the film (though that is on the word of Reyes). It appears again at the end of the film when Reyes tries to kill Dani. It kills Reyes and the New Mutants band together to fend it off long enough for Dani to get control of her powers and dispel it. I kind of liked the non-traditional resolution for a superhero final fight.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions, Immortal Hulk, X-Factor, New Mutants, Hellions, Marauders

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 01 Sep 2020, 12:28

it is different from previous x-movies, it's a very small movie, with basically 1 location, 6 characters, a lot of talking for most part and then some cool action at the end. This is not a bad thing, it's different approach and I think it works fine, rather than overloading with characters that get a couple of brief scenes.Also compared to recent X-Men movies it was nice change to see x-story not focused around Xavier/Magneto/Mystique.

Cast all did a good job, Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane was the best. I did enjoy Anya Taylor Joy as Magik, though sometimes fell into mean high school girl rather than dark edgy girl,I suppose it can be fine line. She did have best powers though. Blu Hunt as the main protagonist did well but again felt she could have been more defiant (I'm thinking of her standing up to Xavier in the comics) . Mostly it felt like the female leading the film (whoo an x-men film that focuses on the women). Henry Zaga and Charlie Heaton had less to do, but did well, I thought Henry did good job as Sunspot.

Of the whitewashing for me Cecelia Reyes stood out more
but as the also turned her evil then she wasn't comic accurate to begin with, I did like her forcefield powers
. I thought Henry Zaga did good job as Sunspot, but I'm sure for both characters their could have been darker skinned actors that could have done the job too.

The ending
The showdown with demon bear was awesome, particularly Magik and Lockheed but it was cool everyone got chance to show off their power. Also what a way to go for Cecelia, though Wolfsnbane had already done some damage
The cinema experience itself was quiet! There were 3 other people in the screening as they rows blocked off we were spaced out and cinema.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Cable

Post by Cable » 01 Sep 2020, 20:23

I went in with low expectations and this vastly exceeded them. This was excellent! Better than the mainstream X-Men movies have been for quite some time. This could have been a new franchise. It almost makes you wish Fox was still going. Almost.

I saw it in a theater with fewer than 10 people. It is a shame this didn't get the proper release it deserves.
Best Comics of Week 28

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 03 Sep 2020, 01:27

Cable wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 20:23
I went in with low expectations and this vastly exceeded them. This was excellent! Better than the mainstream X-Men movies have been for quite some time. This could have been a new franchise. It almost makes you wish Fox was still going. Almost.

I saw it in a theater with fewer than 10 people. It is a shame this didn't get the proper release it deserves.
I just got back from seeing it and I totally agree. It far exceeded my expectations. In some ways I actually thought it was better than the original comics story (which is by far my favorite NM story of all time).
I liked how the kids had so much in common in that they all seemed to kill those around them when they manifested their power. I think that backstory worked really well playing into Dani's power, provided a great basis for the horror elements and the plot and also gave them even more of a basis to bond and not judge each other based on the terrible things they thought they had done. I also liked how the story took place in a twisted version of Xavier's school ... with the campus environment but with a sad run-down and dark contrast to the Xavier campus. That contrast worked really nicely with this being a horror flick. I thought the casting was excellent. Race aside (which was indeed a lost opportunity for better representation) Zaga nailed 'Berto perfectly in terms of his performance. I was surprised that I also liked the choice off Cecilia Reyes as their jailer ... her forcefield powers worked well with her role in the film and why they could even "be" contained, though hers was my least favorite performance. Williams was amazing as Rahne and Heaton was great as Sam as well. The only part I got a little hung up on (and this is being too picky) was that the Demon Bear was said to be magic (which, of course it was in the comics, so made sense in passing), but as I was thinking about it after I left I realized that in this story it was just a psionic manifestation of Dani's power and so that seemed internally inconsistent. I think the Bear as a manifestation of Dani's power was a much simpler and smarter approach for this adaptation that doesn't make it magic, but I can live with that small issue. It was definitely a slower pace that you might expect for a superhero film but I think it totally worked for this particular story.
I also wanted to point out that I felt very safe in the theater. No one was near anyone else. Everyone wore masks. You served your own refreshments. I did bring my own wipes to wipe down my seat and surfaces around me but I'm assuming they were already cleaned. It really felt much safer than the grocery store or other standard places I have to go regularly. I would feel very comfortable going to another movie in person (and might even see that on again).

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 Sep 2020, 22:02

Despite the inexcusable whitewashing, this exceeded my low expectations.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... ped-limbo/

Cable

Post by Cable » 07 Sep 2020, 04:41

My only real complaint is the last third doesn't really live up to the great set-up in the first two-thirds. I thought the movie was really good, but it had the potential to be greater.
Best Comics of Week 28

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 07 Sep 2020, 18:03

Saw it Saturday night with a couple friends and the girlfriend. Yes I came in with low expectations but I feel it is a genuinely good movie. Having waited to post I have decided why: It knew what it was and didn't try to go beyond that. It wanted to be a horror movie based off a story arc from a comic about teens with super-powers. It achieved it's goal.

As a general movie is it the best X-Flick? No I give that to Logan. Is it the best X-Men movie? No I give that to First Class. But we got genuinely creepy moments, good character development and a build-up to a few minutes of Real Lockheed. I'm Satisfied.

I give best adaptations to Sam and Rahne.
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 08 Sep 2020, 23:37

Lockheed was definitely a highlight. They're losing money not selling that puppet.

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 10 Sep 2020, 16:13

As I said that night. "There will totally be bootleg Lockheed puppets online soon"

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Sep 2020, 23:50

The only The New Mutants Lockheed puppet available is in some hard to acquire promo box. Even Etsy let me down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORU8W8h ... e=youtu.be

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 11 Sep 2020, 17:32

give them time. Folks have to sacrifice mask-making to have the spare fabric for Locky.