unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

New Mutants film announced!

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
humanracin

New Mutants film announced!

Post by humanracin » 14 May 2015, 03:50

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/x ... -movie-way

Personally I hope they choose the original cast of characters (Karma, Mirage, Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Cannonball) and maybe add Magma and Magik.
Not too keen on seeing Liefeld era characters like Skids and Rusty…
If its going to be a trilogy of films they can always slowly morph into X-Force.

As for the plot/story line I'd like to see the Nova Roma arc or The Demon Bear Saga.

Blackcyclops

Re: New Mutants film announced!

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 May 2015, 04:09

Sadly since I think they don't really follow storylines like that, I'd expect the team to be loosely (and that's saying it mildly) based on any NM story.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 May 2015, 04:28

New Mutants is just a horribly generic sounding title no matter what the medium.
Does everyone remember when Fox announced an X-Force movie written & directed by Jeff Wadlow was going to happen?

Around The Fur

Post by Around The Fur » 14 May 2015, 04:51

I'll reserve my judgement of this until I see Deadpool and X-men Apocalypse. I have never been an X film fan until the last two films, but even then, I'm still pretty critical. There have been gems in each films, moments that I can pluck out and treasure, but overall I just get frustrated.
Avengers Draft Team- Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Silver Surfer, Ex Nihilo, Beta Ray Bill, Man-Thing, Nightmask, The Unseen and US Agent as The Brotherhood of the Shield!

Theme songs- "Hey! Get out of my way" by The Cardigans.

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 14 May 2015, 07:10

I hope Cable will be the one to pick them up & train them. Then as humanracin said. They'll go to X-Force route.
Cable's origin doesn't have to be explain in this movie to keep him mysterious while the whole plot will revolve around
these new mutants lives & how Cable got to them & train them.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 14 May 2015, 09:44

I wouldn't be surprised if they use the new characters introduced in DOFP - Warpath, Sunspot and Blink. This is assuming the film is set it present day rather than in the 80s like Apocalypse.
Last edited by Gibbering Fool on 16 May 2015, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 May 2015, 10:23

Wasn't it Sunspot in DOFP? Which made no sense because he was nothing like Sunspot.

I don't know, if they announce Cannonball is in it I'll probably just go buy my tickets now for every showing even if it's terrible.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 May 2015, 10:36

He was as unmemorable as Thunderbird III.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 May 2015, 10:55

Who?
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 14 May 2015, 11:26

Blackcyclops wrote:Sadly since I think they don't really follow storylines like that, I'd expect the team to be loosely (and that's saying it mildly) based on any NM story.
Probably will use the young mutants that will be intoduced in Apocalypse. This way they can say good bye to Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, James Mcavoy, Michael Fassbender. They are free from their contract after Apocalypse. So new mutants will be the next direction of X-men.
So it's you and me together against the world, huh?

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 14 May 2015, 15:21

*eyes Fox Studios up and down warily* …Where are you going with this?...
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 May 2015, 16:09

This is what I've been waiting for since X2. I wish more franchises would pass the torch instead of just rebooting every few years and de-aging the same five characters. *looks at Spider-Man/FF*
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

No Coast Avenger

Post by No Coast Avenger » 14 May 2015, 16:29

I want this to be so many things based on the comics, but I feel like their movie-ized version will probably look nothing like the New Mutants I want to see.

It would be nice to see them basing around Academy X and those characters, if they did choose to follow a path that resembles the comics without straight-up renewing the original 80's team.

Or, dare I say it, a NM/Gen X/Academy X amalgam? They have so much to work with from the comics in this area. They could tie together three decades of nostalgia into one movie.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 May 2015, 16:36

I'm fairly worried about it being just "Super Hero High School".

I think I'd rather see a more action oriented survival movie where Cable is trying to mold young mutants into soldiers.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 May 2015, 16:58

Anna Raven wrote:I'm fairly worried about it being just "Super Hero High School".

I think I'd rather see a more action oriented survival movie where Cable is trying to mold young mutants into soldiers.

I can go with that...nostalgia is not what I want driving this movie. I don't want this to get the Jem and the Holograms treatment

My X-Men Draft Picks:

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 14 May 2015, 17:27

You guys might be slightly disappointed then. The director already said that it will be based on the 80s run of New Mutants (the stuff with Cable and becoming soldiers is more the 90s theme) and that it will be "leaning towards horror and the supernatural" (which again is much more early New Mutants stuff than the later Liefield's X-force).

Personally I'm actually happy if that's the case. Action centric and soldier like children are everywhere in Hollywood. Claremont's New Mutants run had brilliant moments with the use of horror themes and supernatural to explore the characters. He not only generated a cast that was very diverse (even for today's standards it would be) but gave them a lot of nuance and subtext. Compare that run with the latest teen titles since the merger with Disney! Marvel seems to be stuck in the ridiculous over the top portrayals of characters. It's almost like they're afraid that the younger fans won't "get it" and thus it won't be worthwhile. I'm glad there'll be something different in the horizon for x-teens.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 May 2015, 17:40

The time period isn't the problem. I just don't want the writers to try and make something that appeals to nostalgia and not a good story that is nothng like the other X-films. And I think it's kinda hard to imagine the films will follow anything close to actual comics since this movieverse is so different.

Every fan of Gillen's YA just got really confused by the last part of the above post.

NOW that I'd give money to Kickstarter to see.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 May 2015, 18:00

I'm ok with the 80's cast (I'd stil like to see Cable involved though) and I'm ok with a supernatural theme, as long as its done well. I just don't want it to be high school highjinx over a more original plot.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 14 May 2015, 18:25

BC

I thought it was clear that the topic was about the x-teens but I can see the confusion. Let me correct that by saying clearly: I'm talking about the x-side (unless stated otherside).
For the x-teens we've been treated repetedly with several incarnations of "... & the x-men" and other titles that had been treating the teens and their issues mostly as a companion joke piece. There are such good stories brewing behind the scenes considering all they have been through but no one seems to be interested in aknowledging that (at least not above the next ridiculous joke).

I know that a lot of people love it so I'm not going to completely bash it but as someone who doesn't particularly care for the over the topness forced humor that we have been treated so often lately in those titles, I long for something diferent. A slight reprieve from that. Therefore I hope this will show how great the x-teens can be in other tones. New Mutants,
Honestly, from what I read of YA it had nothing akin to what I'm talking about. It's undoutebly MUCH better written that any equivalent on the x-side (which IMHO at this point is damning with faint praise) but IMO still goes FAR TOO OFTEN for THE JOKE. I'm fine with humor but not over everything else. It's entirely possible that I was just really unlucky with the issues I read however.

Gillen's Gen Hope is probably a better counter argument about x-teens stories taken seriously but while it had its moments, as Gillen himself admited, it was always meant as a short companion piece to the messiah story with very clear parameters on what could be achieved. It suffered greatly from that IMO and again, the only plot that was continued was probably the least nuanced one: Idie thinks herself a sinner and monster. There was so much more potential but those stories never got any satisfying fruition.

Anna

I'm not entirely sure those words mean the 80's cast although it's likely that it would be the case (maybe with the exception of the least popular like Karma as much as I personally like her). I'd imagine that some trimming down has to be done considering some of them have fairly complicated backstories and this is supposed to be a standalone. I'd imagine that Moonstar is a given though. Probably Cannonball as well. Sunspot was already introduced (although he would need to be recast) and had a lot of criticism so it might not happen. Wolfsbane will probably be there. Magik is the one that I'm really unsure about. Supernatural is her thing but she has such a complicated backstory that is so intrinsic to her character that unless it's part of the main storyline, I don't see how they can use her to her full potential.

Thinking about it, if it focus on the New Mutants before x-force, then the probability of either a balanced or even a mostly female cast is actually quite high. New mutants started with more females than males (something unusual for the time) and continued to be so for most of the run.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 May 2015, 18:43

It should be interesting if this stays a female heavy, diverse film. Given Fox's track record with X-Men(a major focuc on straight, white male characters while female characters are reduced to secondary/tertiary roles) I'm not sure what they'll do here.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 May 2015, 19:00

XtremeOne1 wrote:It should be interesting if this stays a female heavy, diverse film. Given Fox's track record with X-Men(a major focuc on straight, white male characters while female characters are reduced to secondary/tertiary roles) I'm not sure what they'll do here.
^^^^
And that's exactly where my mind went.

To say YA (really any run) had over the top humor, then I can't even imagine what you consider Superior Foes of Spidey to be, something like a new Adam Sandler movie? Lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

humanracin

Post by humanracin » 14 May 2015, 21:55

_Rick_ wrote:You guys might be slightly disappointed then. The director already said that it will be based on the 80s run of New Mutants (the stuff with Cable and becoming soldiers is more the 90s theme) and that it will be "leaning towards horror and the supernatural" (which again is much more early New Mutants stuff than the later Liefield's X-force).
This is exactly what I want from a New Mutants film.

This gives me hope that Magik and Limbo will be involved and other stories like the Demon Bear might play into it as well.
Wolfsbane is a Werewolf as well so they could play that up and make it "scarier"
Even Sunspot, Mirage and Karma have "eerie" powers.

Then there is Selene and the Nova Roma soul vampire story to introduce Magma.

I'm not expecting it to be exactly like the comics but there are so many great stories int the first 20-30 issues they could use.

No Coast Avenger

Post by No Coast Avenger » 14 May 2015, 22:01

Blackcyclops wrote:The time period isn't the problem. I just don't want the writers to try and make something that appeals to nostalgia and not a good story that is nothng like the other X-films. And I think it's kinda hard to imagine the films will follow anything close to actual comics since this movieverse is so different.
I think it's possible to hit both nostalgia and good stories. The last few X-movies have mostly failed at both, in my opinion. And, frankly, the premise of 'x-kids' alone is not what would have me excited about a movie called 'New Mutants'.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 16 May 2015, 23:54

Sometimes I find this movie franchise so frustrating. The Apocalypse film is set in the 80s and focuses on recruiting young Scott, Jean etc. If this film is also set in the 80s and focuses on recruiting the New Mutants it seems redundant to me. To me this should be set in the present day and focuses on recruiting the next generation of x-men

humanracin

Post by humanracin » 21 May 2015, 10:41

Gibbering Fool wrote:Sometimes I find this movie franchise so frustrating. The Apocalypse film is set in the 80s and focuses on recruiting young Scott, Jean etc. If this film is also set in the 80s and focuses on recruiting the New Mutants it seems redundant to me. To me this should be set in the present day and focuses on recruiting the next generation of x-men
I assumed it was going to be the next generation (i.e. present day)
Where was it confirmed to be set in the 80s ?