Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Captain Marvel

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Cable » 12 Aug 2016, 10:25

They should have a traumatic moment where an Inhuman absorbs her memories and abilities. Fans would like it.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17692
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Aug 2016, 10:38

Cable wrote:They should have a traumatic moment where an Inhuman absorbs her memories and abilities. Fans would like it.
Don't know if satire or bitterness lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Cable » 12 Aug 2016, 11:04

Can't it be both? :lol:
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Cable » 19 Apr 2017, 21:21

Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 23 Jul 2017, 04:50

http://io9.gizmodo.com/captain-marvel-w ... 1797164203

Apparently Captain Marvel's taking place in the 90s. My guess is they're setting it back then so it can lay the groundwork for a Secret Invasion story in Phase 4. Not sure I like the idea of Marvel movies jumping around chronologically, but we'll see how it goes. Also seems to invite the question of where Carol has been since then, which hopefully Marvel will resolve without figuratively trapping her in ice.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3890
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Anna Raven » 23 Jul 2017, 05:08

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 04:50
http://io9.gizmodo.com/captain-marvel-w ... 1797164203

Apparently Captain Marvel's taking place in the 90s. My guess is they're setting it back then so it can lay the groundwork for a Secret Invasion story in Phase 4. Not sure I like the idea of Marvel movies jumping around chronologically, but we'll see how it goes. Also seems to invite the question of where Carol has been since then, which hopefully Marvel will resolve without figuratively trapping her in ice.
A simple explanation could be time displacement due to space travel (think Interstellar).
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 4672
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by tokenBG1009 » 23 Jul 2017, 06:25

I assume Captain Marvel powers keep her from aging? Because as much as it pains me to realize this, the 90s was 20 years ago.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2114
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Nu-D » 24 Jul 2017, 14:29

tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 06:25
I assume Captain Marvel powers keep her from aging? Because as much as it pains me to realize this, the 90s was 20 years ago.
The LATE 90's were 20 years ago. The early 90's were 25 years ago. It's been a quarter century since high school.

Anyhow, hopefully CM has been in space since the end of her first film through Civil War. She comes back to Earth right before Avengers 3, or in time for CM2. Simple, elegant explanation for her absence through everything we've seen so far.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3890
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Anna Raven » 24 Jul 2017, 15:27

Nu-D wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 14:29
tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 06:25
I assume Captain Marvel powers keep her from aging? Because as much as it pains me to realize this, the 90s was 20 years ago.
The LATE 90's were 20 years ago. The early 90's were 25 years ago. It's been a quarter century since high school.

Anyhow, hopefully CM has been in space since the end of her first film through Civil War. She comes back to Earth right before Avengers 3, or in time for CM2. Simple, elegant explanation for her absence through everything we've seen so far.
Yup and because of time dilation what's been 25 years for earth has only been a year or two for her.

And if people are like, "well why doesn't Quill and the Guardians suffer from time dilation effects as well?" You can explain it by arguing they use some other method of faster than light speed, like worm holes or something.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2114
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Nu-D » 24 Jul 2017, 16:36

Yup, pseudo-science hand waving is all it takes. One line of dialogue.

Quill and CM have gone different places for different periods of time, traveling at different speeds by different methods. There's no reason the same principle can't apply to both, even though one has to span 45 years and the other just 20. Moreover, Quill actually aged 15-20 years, so there's that.

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 24 Jul 2017, 17:00

Anna Raven wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 15:27
Nu-D wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 14:29
tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 06:25
I assume Captain Marvel powers keep her from aging? Because as much as it pains me to realize this, the 90s was 20 years ago.
The LATE 90's were 20 years ago. The early 90's were 25 years ago. It's been a quarter century since high school.

Anyhow, hopefully CM has been in space since the end of her first film through Civil War. She comes back to Earth right before Avengers 3, or in time for CM2. Simple, elegant explanation for her absence through everything we've seen so far.
Yup and because of time dilation what's been 25 years for earth has only been a year or two for her.

And if people are like, "well why doesn't Quill and the Guardians suffer from time dilation effects as well?" You can explain it by arguing they use some other method of faster than light speed, like worm holes or something.
Well, they do show gateway/wormhole travel in GotG2. Which would make Captain Marvel not using such a method of travel a bit confusing for me. The gateway travel of GotG is presented as mundane - not something unique to the guardians or even necessitating explanation or comment - and this is presumably the standard method of space travel for spacefaring species in the MCU (as it is in 616). Any method of space travel Captain Marvel uses by either reverse engineering alien tech or utilizing an alien ship would presumably use that method of travel too. They could concoct an explanation for some other method of travel, though those come with their own issues, but it could certainly be done. (Though reports that Fury will feature prominently in the film and, obviously, was not stuck traveling to Earth while decades passed might indicate such an explanation would be unlikely).

Regardless, though, I'd find it unsatisfying. Shunting her away in a ship traveling to Earth for decades is figuratively trapping her in ice. Especially if time dilation caused time to pass by abruptly for her. If the explanation for her absence is that she's been twiddling her thumbs on a ship while decades passed in Earth, she enters the modern films with no more experience under her belt than her first adventure. I'd much rather an explanation in which she's been had an active and important, if unseen, role - like have her involved in the creation of SWORD in the wake of the Kree-Skrull War, and the explanation for her previous absence is she's been busy protecting Earth for threats the Avengers haven't even seen
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2114
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Nu-D » 24 Jul 2017, 17:41

Not sure where you get "twiddling her thumbs" from "been in space." I imagine she's been seeing plenty of action here and there throughout the galaxy.

And I'd have no problem with a hyperdrive ship not dependent on star gates or wormholes. Just because one corner of the galaxy developed one tech, doesn't mean anther hasn't developed something different.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3890
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Anna Raven » 24 Jul 2017, 18:09

Obviously this is different strokes for different folks, because in the scenario you present Gomurr, now I'm unsatisfied, because either there's 2 1/2 decades of Captain Marvel adventures we missed out on, or it feels a bit like Wonder Woman, where decades go by without a WW sighting, and we start to think is she that much of a hero if she sits out all these other important events. I prefer to see my characters grow and advance, and stumble, rather than it happen offscreen, so "putting a character on ice" isn't necessarily a bad thing to me if it makes sense. In fact, I think one of the things that's made the X-Men films suffer a bit since First Class, is the decade hopping they've been doing, with the same cast and us missing all the stuff that's been happening to them over the years.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Cable » 24 Jul 2017, 18:32

No, don't you see what they are setting up? They have this Captain Marvel movie set in the 90s where she defeats the Skrulls. However she is actually slaughtered off-screen and replaced with a Skrull and that is who we see in the next Avengers! It is a stroke of genius because NOBODY will see it coming. It is the first big female-driven film in the MCU so everyone will expect them to push her, and they will, she will be front and center and lead all the heroes. And then in their darkest hour she reveals she is the villain and the heroes have to unite to destroy Captain Marvel!
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2114
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Nu-D » 24 Jul 2017, 18:51

That would be . . .unexpected.

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 24 Jul 2017, 20:13

Anna Raven wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:09
Obviously this is different strokes for different folks, because in the scenario you present Gomurr, now I'm unsatisfied, because either there's 2 1/2 decades of Captain Marvel adventures we missed out on, or it feels a bit like Wonder Woman, where decades go by without a WW sighting, and we start to think is she that much of a hero if she sits out all these other important events. I prefer to see my characters grow and advance, and stumble, rather than it happen offscreen, so "putting a character on ice" isn't necessarily a bad thing to me if it makes sense. In fact, I think one of the things that's made the X-Men films suffer a bit since First Class, is the decade hopping they've been doing, with the same cast and us missing all the stuff that's been happening to them over the years.
That's fair, and I'm with you on the problems setting this in the 90s presents. But that's what they're doing, so we can't really avoid that she either spends decades doing nothing (iced) or doing stuff off camera. I just favor off-camera because I'd rather not see the person-out-of-time stuff already being covered by Captain America, and don't want Carol to come off as a novice or junior compared to the other heroes when they finally meet. But there's no denying that either way of explaining away the absence comes with certain losses.

We can agree that the only totally unacceptable explanation for her absence would be that she has been in temporal limbo after getting whisked away by Marcus, though, right?
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Cable » 24 Jul 2017, 21:24

Nu-D wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:51
That would be . . .unexpected.
:lol: Obviously I am joking; can you imagine what the response to that would be?!

But in all seriousness introducing Skrulls, and so early in the timeline, does set up the potential for one of the characters to be swapped at some point. I don't think Marvel Studios is gutsy enough to do a long-term switch (i.e. someone has been fake for multiple films) but maybe in one of the new movies we will see an impostor.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2114
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Nu-D » 24 Jul 2017, 22:16

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 20:13
Anna Raven wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:09
Obviously this is different strokes for different folks, because in the scenario you present Gomurr, now I'm unsatisfied, because either there's 2 1/2 decades of Captain Marvel adventures we missed out on, or it feels a bit like Wonder Woman, where decades go by without a WW sighting, and we start to think is she that much of a hero if she sits out all these other important events. I prefer to see my characters grow and advance, and stumble, rather than it happen offscreen, so "putting a character on ice" isn't necessarily a bad thing to me if it makes sense. In fact, I think one of the things that's made the X-Men films suffer a bit since First Class, is the decade hopping they've been doing, with the same cast and us missing all the stuff that's been happening to them over the years.
That's fair, and I'm with you on the problems setting this in the 90s presents. But that's what they're doing, so we can't really avoid that she either spends decades doing nothing (iced) or doing stuff off camera. I just favor off-camera because I'd rather not see the person-out-of-time stuff already being covered by Captain America, and don't want Carol to come off as a novice or junior compared to the other heroes when they finally meet. But there's no denying that either way of explaining away the absence comes with certain losses.

We can agree that the only totally unacceptable explanation for her absence would be that she has been in temporal limbo after getting whisked away by Marcus, though, right?
Of course, just because her adventures have been off camera so far, doesn't mean we can't see them in future solo films.
Cable wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 21:24
Nu-D wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:51
That would be . . .unexpected.
:lol: Obviously I am joking; can you imagine what the response to that would be?!

But in all seriousness introducing Skrulls, and so early in the timeline, does set up the potential for one of the characters to be swapped at some point. I don't think Marvel Studios is gutsy enough to do a long-term switch (i.e. someone has been fake for multiple films) but maybe in one of the new movies we will see an impostor.
I think it's a virtual guarantee that a movie with sirios will feature an imposter, even if it's only a short scene in a big battle.



And yes, if Marcus makes an appearance I will boycott the MCU for the rest of eternity.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3890
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Anna Raven » 24 Jul 2017, 23:16

Ugh Marcus. Shudders...
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

LimboMaster
Posts: 75
Joined: 18 Nov 2013, 22:10

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by LimboMaster » 28 Jul 2017, 19:32

I'm baffled as to why they didn't cast Emily VanCamp instead of Brie. I'm sure Brie will be good, but Emily IS Carol Danvers. She would have been perfect. So weird that they cast Emily as supporting character Carter (though she's a total bada** as Sharon too).

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17692
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jul 2017, 19:42

Brie is a bigger actor on the come-up (see: Chadwick Boseman).
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3890
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Jul 2017, 16:36

After seeing Edge of Tomorrow I really thought Emily Blunt was perfect. But I haven't seen her in an action movie since then, at least not in an action role herself. So I wonder if she didn't like it or something.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17692
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jul 2017, 19:27

Emily Blunt is a very flexible actress (like I forgot she was in that one sci-fi movie with Matt Damon lol) so she might have had something else planned. She is, I think, in the sequel to the film you mentioned
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

LimboMaster
Posts: 75
Joined: 18 Nov 2013, 22:10

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by LimboMaster » 29 Jul 2017, 20:59

I was actually talking about Emily VanCamp (who plays Sharon Carter in Captain America / Avengers movies), not Emily Blunt ... but maybe Emily Blunt was just a deliberate shift in discussion and not confused with Emily VanCamp ;-)

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3890
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Jul 2017, 22:50

Yeh I know I was just throwing out one of my picks lol. It's all moot now.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Post Reply