Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Gambit

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Blackcyclops

Re: Gambit

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Jan 2015, 21:29

Foxcatchet contradicts the ideas about Tatum's acting...but his body type doesn't equal Gambit at all...but I will say his athletism is quite good though. It would be interesting if the directors will incorporate his ability to move like a dancer to show an agile Gambit. I mean outside of Arrow (as big as He is, Oliver moves around gracefully alot), dudes just don't fight gracefully in action films anymore, especially superhero films.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Jan 2015, 22:03

Blackcyclops wrote:Let's not go overboard and say that the X-Men have more diversity than the entirety of DC Comics (I'd prolly say Marvel too if you're counting ALL of Marvel Comics)...I mean that's just alittle too far LOL

However that said, it would be nice to get a X-Men film that really feels like a team movie and utilizes the vast array of personalities in it. Mystery Men was more of a team superhero film than all of the X-Men films...and it had a dude who could dig very well.
Really? The X-Men have Storm, Psylocke, Jubilee, Monet, Cecilia Reyes, Karima, Dani Moonstar, Karma, Dust, Surge, Armor, Kitty(yes, Jews are a minority), Frenzy if they ever ring her back to prominence(and they should), Dr. Rao...For males it's Bishop, Sunfire, Rockslide, Sunspot, Darwin, Warpath, Prodigy, Indra, Oya, Forge, Rictor, Goldballs(*I shiver when even mentioning his character), DeMarcus(not his name...what is his name?), Magneto, Asian Guy From Bendis' run.

And they also have LGBT characters in Anole, Daken, Northstar, Mystique, Rictor, Shatterstar, Karma, Bling, Benjamin Deeds.

That's not even counting the one's who had major roles and died(Destny, Skin, Synch, amongst others)

That's 37 living characters who are minorities, many of them playing major roles in this team books as leaders/main characters of their books. And the fact that many of them are women...And the fact that many of the X-Men's leading characters are woman in general(Rogue, Jean, Emma, X-23, Terrible Hope Summers, and many more). So yeah, I don't think it's that much of a reach, especially when you throw in the number of prominent women(I can think of only three or four for DC). I do think, as a whole, the X-Men franchise represents diversity better than Avengers ever has, than any DC title or DC as a whole has ever done.

marhawkman

Post by marhawkman » 14 Jan 2015, 22:04

I always figured Gambit to be the kind of person who moves like a gymnast, swiftly dodging attacks and retaliating in a similar manner. I mean the guy pole vaults for fun... His combat style emphasizes speed and dexterity.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Jan 2015, 22:14

Also, I think Milkshake's post is great and it's really interesting. I think it does prove that, yes, the X-Men have the most prominent diverse characters in comics.
Anna Raven wrote:Isn't it just the simple fact that Gambit, like Logan, is a loner, and so his story lends itself to a solo film? While Storm and Jean and Kitty are viewed as team players. It's probably harder to make a solo film out of a character who is a good team-mate and capable leader, much like its harder to make a comic series out of those characters. You have to generate an excuse for them going off on their own.

True, but again this is a problem. How many 'loner' films are we going to have? This is what I was saying in terms of diverse personalities. The X-Films are just a bunch of sad, mopey white dudes with slight variations(Magneto is suave and torture, Wolverine is angry and tortured, Xavier is tortured and intelligent). And then they all have the same amount of wit when it's called for.

And yeah, I think it's highly unlikely we'll get a solo X-Film. Mystique was our best bet but I think Jennifer Lawrence is done with the role and is probably unwilling to start a new franchise. So all I can hope for is that after Days of Future Past(which is already sounds like an orgy of guy sadness as the only time they've referred to a woman in terms of plot, is Mystique and her relationship with Magneto). How hard is it to have a plot maybe some female bad guys? That has Storm take a more prominent role, with characters like Psylocke and Rogue playing key roles in action and plot?

I do think we'd probably need a new writing and directing team(Singer's big problem is he isn't a fan of the comics. He only watched the cartoon) and the writers can't write women...so...yeah...Hopefully after Apocalypse things change.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Jan 2015, 22:51

Or Fox can just call it quits, leave it alone for a few years to let the licence expire and transfer back over to Marvel. :)
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

No Coast Avenger

Post by No Coast Avenger » 14 Jan 2015, 23:05

Anna Raven wrote:That's true, but then I listed a few characters I thought who could fill the bill, but also reasons why they don't work in this particular instance.

Honestly a Mystique film is our best bet.
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said, it just reminded me of that.

I certainly agree with the characters you listed. I would pray for a Storm movie, but then I consider how disappointed I would be if that turned out badly. And my spider-sense tells me that it probably would.

I would like to request for [Fox] to do a Rogue or Psylocke movie, though. For some reason, I wouldn't want Mystique to be the first X-female to get a solo movie. Maybe I still essentially think of her as an x-villain, even though she certainly rides the line.

Still, if it was done well, it would be nice to see a movie done from the point of view of a shape-shifter that can enter and exit day-to-day situations with both moral and social fluidity. So, yeah, I would totally still go see a Mystique movie... She's just not quite my first choice.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Jan 2015, 23:23

I don't want to watch a Gambit movie with a lot of manpain. Ideally it should be a really fun sexy heist movie. He's got to be a one man Ocean's 11 complete with all the charisma. There can be some serious moments but it shouldn't get bogged down in "I ruined the Thieves-Assassins Guild truce by killing my brother in law who's come back from the dead to avenge his jilted sister being in a coma" or "I feel really guilty about that time I was point man for the mass murder of homeless mutants." A loose adaptation of his first ongoing where he's jetsetting around the world stealing components for Mr. Sinister (subbing in for the New Son) while dodging assassins & rival thieves before realizing how dangerous they are when put together could hit the spot. It wouldn't be too hard to work in X-Cutioner, Sekhmet Conoway, Courier, or Pig. I'd love it if they could recreate the scene where he accidentally hits Rogue with an exploding pie instead of Bishop, which may be even easier since they're characters that already exist in the moviverse.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2015, 01:22

XtremeOne1 wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote:Let's not go overboard and say that the X-Men have more diversity than the entirety of DC Comics (I'd prolly say Marvel too if you're counting ALL of Marvel Comics)...I mean that's just alittle too far LOL

However that said, it would be nice to get a X-Men film that really feels like a team movie and utilizes the vast array of personalities in it. Mystery Men was more of a team superhero film than all of the X-Men films...and it had a dude who could dig very well.
Really? The X-Men have Storm, Psylocke, Jubilee, Monet, Cecilia Reyes, Karima, Dani Moonstar, Karma, Dust, Surge, Armor, Kitty(yes, Jews are a minority), Frenzy if they ever ring her back to prominence(and they should), Dr. Rao...For males it's Bishop, Sunfire, Rockslide, Sunspot, Darwin, Warpath, Prodigy, Indra, Oya, Forge, Rictor, Goldballs(*I shiver when even mentioning his character), DeMarcus(not his name...what is his name?), Magneto, Asian Guy From Bendis' run.

And they also have LGBT characters in Anole, Daken, Northstar, Mystique, Rictor, Shatterstar, Karma, Bling, Benjamin Deeds.

That's not even counting the one's who had major roles and died(Destny, Skin, Synch, amongst others)

That's 37 living characters who are minorities, many of them playing major roles in this team books as leaders/main characters of their books. And the fact that many of them are women...And the fact that many of the X-Men's leading characters are woman in general(Rogue, Jean, Emma, X-23, Terrible Hope Summers, and many more). So yeah, I don't think it's that much of a reach, especially when you throw in the number of prominent women(I can think of only three or four for DC). I do think, as a whole, the X-Men franchise represents diversity better than Avengers ever has, than any DC title or DC as a whole has ever done.
Well how are you measuring prominence because alot of those X-Men women might not be known outside of comics. Of course the point I made wasn't about prominence (ie how much they're known outside of comics) but diversity, meaning how many characters are racial/ethnic minorities (which I'm assuming we're talking in a Western US mainstream context), women, and LGBT characters. And yes I'd say DC as an entire company with like 75 years (am I undercounting?) of history with multiple worlds and continuities (Vertigo comics is DC, as well as Milestone comics, and any of the companies they've subsumed over the years) would have more diversity. The notion of "people outside of comics know the character" wasn't my point,if that got muddled up by me I apologize, and even then I'm not sure (read NOT sure LOL) if the X-Men have DC as a whole beat either. But maybe we could make a whole thread on it LOL

More importantly, and it's relevant to this thread, that just because the average person doesn't know the character doesn't really mean anything anymore. Big Hero 6 (albeit an altered version) just had an animated movie about them and was very successful. Vixen is getting a TV series. And the biggest movie of 2014 was about Rocket Raccoon. If a company wants to make a movie about a character, it doesn't matter how small they are. So its just as feasible to think that Dragoness could get a movie as Psylocke. So we shouldn't restrict ourselves to just the big name characters. At this point I wouldn't be shocked at an Alpha Flight movie.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Jan 2015, 01:24

I do get the sense we'll get a bit of a preview from this new movie Tatum is in: Jupiter Ascending. It looks like the character has some similarities to Gambit from an action standpoint. That is to say he's a quick, mobile fighter.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jan 2015, 02:06

I don't think I ever mentioned "people outside of comics" in terms of diversity. I'm talking in comics, between comic fans....

This isn't even about who people know, at least to know. This is about the source material. The source material that has tons of diverse characters and personalities and the movies that don't reflect a single ounce of it. The source material has a freaking book of an all female cast of diverse personalities and the X-Men movies have one female with more than one lines and a bunch of sad sack dudes with issues. That's why I bring the number of diverse characters the X-Men have.

Outside of Storm, almost no minority in the five X-Men movies have had more than a bit part. And in the last X-Men movie, even Storm had a bit part, so the last movie was pretty much Days of Future White Male Past.

I get that Gambit makes for an easier movie and for some reason Channing Tatum is a thing, so they're giving him the movie....But it just stinks that now we're going to get more of the same, and it's boring at this point.

And I just have to add. Vixen isn't getting a tv series. She's getting a CW Seed series. That's like calling Nightwing: The Series, on youtube a TV series. Sure this has DC's approval, but I really don't think its a huge deal that they're putting Vixen in a cartoon that isn't even going to be on television. A real series would be a different story but this is like giving someone crumb and patting yourself on the back for baking a cake.

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 15 Jan 2015, 02:11

I'm sure they will make Channing's built leaner when they do the movie to best represent Gambit.

On the side note... I will still go see a Mystique solo if that's the only female lead X-movie they make.
But I still want the Rogue solo badly.
And I will also dig a Blink solo! At-least they already have that role filled...

marhawkman

Post by marhawkman » 15 Jan 2015, 05:50

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:I don't want to watch a Gambit movie with a lot of manpain. Ideally it should be a really fun sexy heist movie. He's got to be a one man Ocean's 11 complete with all the charisma. There can be some serious moments but it shouldn't get bogged down in "I ruined the Thieves-Assassins Guild truce by killing my brother in law who's come back from the dead to avenge his jilted sister being in a coma" or "I feel really guilty about that time I was point man for the mass murder of homeless mutants." A loose adaptation of his first ongoing where he's jetsetting around the world stealing components for Mr. Sinister (subbing in for the New Son) while dodging assassins & rival thieves before realizing how dangerous they are when put together could hit the spot. It wouldn't be too hard to work in X-Cutioner, Sekhmet Conoway, Courier, or Pig. I'd love it if they could recreate the scene where he accidentally hits Rogue with an exploding pie instead of Bishop, which may be even easier since they're characters that already exist in the moviverse.
Honestly... I think they could do some really fun stuff if they have Belladonna, the X-ternal, and Sinister for Gambit to figure out how to deal with. :D

It'd be hilarious to see the results of the two guilds fighting each other trying to get what they want from Essex and Candra while Essex and Candra pit them against each other for their own ends.... then suddenly realize that they're indirectly opposing each other... and then Candra and Essex realize they can't both have the same thing. Then it gets interesting. :D

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 Jan 2015, 06:16

Claremont is apparently writing the film treatment, so will he insist on Gambit being Mr. Sinister's clone-son?

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Jan 2015, 21:39

XtremeOne1 wrote: I get that Gambit makes for an easier movie and for some reason Channing Tatum is a thing, so they're giving him the movie....But it just stinks that now we're going to get more of the same, and it's boring at this point.
But I'm feeling the same way about Marvel Studios movies. Every single one is the same general mix of action and humor. Iron Man is hero that saves the day with charming one-liners! And so is Thor! And so is Captain America! The underrated Incredible Hulk is the only one that felt a little different. And of course Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy used the exact same formula of clashing personalities playing off of each other with jokes.

Anyone who has seen the previews for Ant-Man knows they are going back to the well for the same thing again.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2015, 22:19

I'm confused. I said prominence as in meaning people can recognize them outside of comics (I should've said recognition in hindsight but I was using the words that others were using) not diversity. And the source material is exactly what I was talking about in the first place in reference to DC Comics, where DC also had an entire book of female superheroes at one point and where they have a catalog of prolly more than 4000 characters...I assume the other parts of the post are to others' comments.

I don't think Captain America (particularly Winter Soldier) fit that at all...since Evans' Cap isn't particularly funny or dropping 1-liners. Neither was Thor really...unless you're counting Loki.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jan 2015, 22:53

Cable wrote:
XtremeOne1 wrote: I get that Gambit makes for an easier movie and for some reason Channing Tatum is a thing, so they're giving him the movie....But it just stinks that now we're going to get more of the same, and it's boring at this point.
But I'm feeling the same way about Marvel Studios movies. Every single one is the same general mix of action and humor. Iron Man is hero that saves the day with charming one-liners! And so is Thor! And so is Captain America! The underrated Incredible Hulk is the only one that felt a little different. And of course Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy used the exact same formula of clashing personalities playing off of each other with jokes.

Anyone who has seen the previews for Ant-Man knows they are going back to the well for the same thing again.
Funny, I actually mentioned this to a friend just the other day. "Oh look another lovable rogue who'll have daddy issues, a great wit and will find his inner hero by the end of the movie."...It's why I'm excited of the next wave; Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are NOT that at all. Black Panther is royalty and carries a heavy burden with pride, not snark. Doctor Strange is...strange and I don't see Benedict Cumberbatch doing the Chris Pratt/Paul Judd/RDJ witty charmer thing and Captain Marvel, well, I guess we still have to figure out who's getting cast but I think as a character she'll be different from the rest(not just because she's female). So yeah, bring on the next phase of Marvel!

I agree that Captain America doesn't fit the bill of the ones above.

But I'm confused by your confusion BC....But anyway, given that the X-Men franchise is smaller than the DC books, I still think they're the most diverse franchise in the market. But that's the point....A large percentage of the X-Men books are diverse but it's not reflected in films. DC and Marvel are expanding in that regard(heck they're giving freaking Cyborg a comic...Cyborg!), but Fox, the longest running comic movie franchise, hasn't in the least. Not in their main x-men movies and not in their solos.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Jan 2015, 04:26

YEah Phase 3 has quite a few potentially different characters...but I think Ant-Man has a different caveat, his role as a father, that I think does separate him somewhat from RDJ or Chris Pratt or Hiddleston.

And I still think, as far as outside Gambit characters go, there are a number of X-Men who could do a solo movie. Again, GotG really shattered the idea that only big name characters can headline a film. So Psylocke, Domino, Longshot, Dazzler, Anole/Rockslide, Bishop, Storm, Rogue, Mystique, etc all could do a solo movie if Fox really put in the effort.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 17 Jan 2015, 07:27

I think BC is counting diversity in raw numbers whereas Xtreme is counting it in percentages.

Its like DC probably outnumbers the X-Men as far as minority characters something like 200 to 40 (just making those numbers up obviously)

But that's like 200 out of 3000 as opposed to the X-Men which are 40 out of 150.

So DC's minority rate would be like 6% while the X-Men's rate is like 25%.

It just depends on if you care about raw numbers or percentages.

marhawkman

Post by marhawkman » 17 Jan 2015, 17:59

Also in the case of DC you have a LOT more characters whose "ethnicity" is something like Korugaran/Ungaran.... Or Martian. Martians are more common actually.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 Jun 2015, 22:30

Rupert Wyatt is directing.

Psylocke828

Post by Psylocke828 » 16 Jun 2015, 15:20

Good choice, Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a good flick.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Jul 2015, 01:51

Didn't he really really really want this role? Like super hardcore? That, to me, doesn't sound good for the movie itself.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Jul 2015, 05:12

Exactly. That was the one thing that kind of had me excited, was the fact that he was really really into the role.

Can they go back to Taylor Kitsch now? Or is he like a jilted lover at this point.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Jul 2015, 05:34

I barely remember Taylor Kitsch and I don't feel like going back to watch Origins again to remind myself. Didn't he switch accents halfway through the movie or something? I could've sworn that was a criticism. Like he was Cajun and then Southern.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...