Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Gambit

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Gremlin

Gambit

Post by Gremlin » 12 Jan 2015, 11:38

Well this is going ahead in October 2016 with Channing Tatum.

What does everyone want out of this? What Gambit stories could this pull from? What other characters do you want to see?
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

jesse james

Re: Gambit

Post by jesse james » 12 Jan 2015, 14:04

They could go for the happy go lucky thief, that is contacted by a mysterious figure that wants him to recruit a special task force. Have that task force be the Marauders and have them kill this underground movement, the Morlocks. The remaining, surviving ones can be the ones seen in X-3. Then Remy, devastated by guilt, can then seek out the mysterious character (Sinister) and the Marauders to deal with them. One of the dying Morlocks (Plague) can later on turn out to be Apocalypses Pestilence.

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 13 Jan 2015, 01:32

And Sinister must be played by Benedict Cumberbatch...

Actually I want to see Rogue in that movie... then it will go straight for a Rogue solo with Gambit.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Jan 2015, 06:29

As much as I'm down with the Romy I have absolutely zero desire to tie those two together in the movie-verse.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Jan 2015, 15:37

Not to mention, I imagine Anna Paquin and Channing Tatum having all the chemistry of boiled potatoes. No thanks.

I'd like alot of location shots in New Orleans, some Thieves Guild, maybe a little Tante Matte or Candra...
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 13 Jan 2015, 16:58

Looking at his comic history I would be surprised if they don't lean on the Thieves Guild and Belladonna.

shrmntnk62

Post by shrmntnk62 » 13 Jan 2015, 17:49

Gambit is my favorite X-Man but I really hate Channing Tatertot. I think he's a terrible actor and probably a mouth breather. It wasn't all his fault that the first G.I. Joe movie sucked but he certainly didn't help. That being said I want to see him prove me wrong. I love the plot idea that jessie james mentioned with Sinister and the Marauders. I think Mark Strong, the dude who played Sinestro, would be a pretty badass Sinister.
Man is obsolete. Erase. Extinct. - Fear Factory

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Jan 2015, 18:01

I've seen several roles where I liked Tatum: Foxcatcher, both Jump Street movies, The Eagle. But I just think this is not a good role for him. He comes off as more Californian than Southern, and his demeanor is kind of that of a jock/meathead, not a suave/ladies-man at all. I really liked Taylor Kitsch as Gambit, despite the epic crappiness of Wolverine Origins. I wish they'd kept him in the role.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 13 Jan 2015, 18:10

Changing Tatum is a pretty big name right now. I think he is an ok actor and reading interviews he is a big fan of Gambit which I think is a big plus.

Providence

Post by Providence » 13 Jan 2015, 18:13

I wasn't a fan of Taylor Kitsch when Wolverine Origins came out. I didn't think he was hot enough to play Gambit but hot damn, he's gorgeous now!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Jan 2015, 20:13

Tim Riggins always has my heart #TexasForever!
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 14 Jan 2015, 01:36

I like Taylor Kitsch as Gambit as well, but he is not as marketable as Channing T. at this time. So I'll give Channing T. a try & see if he can pull it out.
The main reason I want Rogue in this movie is to reintroduce her to the X-movieverse so we can have a Rogue solo afterwards. Marvel is having a Cap Marvel solo... Rogue should deserve the same treatment or better. (or I'm just a huge Rogue fan, lol)
It doesn't have to be Anna P. playing Rogue. They did it with Gambit so they can with Rogue.
They could cast a younger actress that can grow up to look like Anna.
And since X-Days changed a lot of things, we can now have that bad a$$ Rogue that we all wanted in the big screen.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Jan 2015, 02:16

I think Channing Tatum is good at playing Channing Tatum; a not so intelligent, nice jock. Twenty-One/Two Jump Street, Foxcatcher etc....Whenever he's been made to act outside the box, he's as charismatic as dry wall. So yeah, I'm not sure how he'll do as Gambit.

I doubt I'll see this in theaters(I didn't see the last Wolverine movie), but I'll catch it on HBO. I do think it stinks that Fox isn't exactly thinking outside the box in terms of these movies...How many anti-heroes or sad white man films are we going to get from them? The First Class X-Films kind of have that feel(Magneto in First Class, everyone from the past in Days of Future Past), The Wolverine movies. Gambit and Deadpool will fit into the anti-hero slot.

With Marvel and DC going more outside the box(Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Cyborg), you'd think Fox would too. But instead, it's "Oh okay, another straight white male anti-hero(or sad guy)"....It isn't like the X-Men isn't the most diverse franchise in comics.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Jan 2015, 05:44

It's not like they have an Oscar-winning actress with a solid box office record for blockbusters playing a pivotal and beloved character.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Jan 2015, 06:05

I would argue that Marvel and DC have a much larger library to pull material from and that's why they can step outside of the box. What is Fox going to do with the X-Men that would be unique? None of their characters in the X-Movies outside of Wolverine really have enough personality to stand on their own in my opinion. Days of Future Past has an opportunity to help out, but right now almost every character is tied to Wolverine intrinsically. Rogue is the daughter figure to Wolverine or stuck in a love triangle with Bobby and Kitty. Cyclops and Jean are stuck in a love triangle with Wolverine. Storm has been acted into the ground by Halle Berry.

I would love to have Nightcrawler recast and not be a complete sadsack like I felt he was in X-2. Give him a movie where it's just straight adventure. Hell, I would watch a movie of Kurt in some grand pirate adventure in the Danger Room to be honest because I think he's got enough of a personality to carry a movie that ultimately amounts to nothing. His opening scene in X-2 was fantastic and I need a movie that's full of that.

Gambit needs a heist movie. I'd make it something similar to what was going on in his last comic where he competed with other members of the Thieves' Guild for a position of leadership. He'd need to do all the things Remy does, fight, seduce, steal, and more to win the contest while the entire time the other participants are trying to stab him and each other in the back. A recast Storm, maybe whoever is in Apocalypse, could make a cameo inviting him to the X-Men.

I don't know enough about Alpha Flight to say whether a movie involving them would be any good, but at least then we'd have a gay X-Character on screen. Would Alpha Flight be under the X-Men franchise? They're pretty heavily tied to Wolverine so maybe?
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:It's not like they have an Oscar-winning actress with a solid box office record for blockbusters playing a pivotal and beloved character.
Storm or Mystique? Because honestly I think they've wrecked Storm in the movies personally. Mystique would be an interesting movie.
A League of Their Own!

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Jan 2015, 08:01

I think to say no one has a strong enough personality is false. Rogue does, Storm does, Psylocke does. Yes you can say the movies stripped them of that but things have been chwnged. Storm isn't Storm.

And let's not fully blame Halle Berry for the travesty that is storm. That's unfair. What the heck was she supposed to do with a one dimensional character. Same with Anna Paquin. Her Rogue stinks in the movies, but in True Blood her Rogue was on point for two seasons. It's the writing and directing. The same which gave only one female character in the last film more than five lines. That hasn't had one non-white male have more than five lines in five films.

I'm not even asking for a solo just an x-film that feels different that gives us more diversity(in terms of actual diversity and a diversity of personalities). That doesn't have to be in a solo. Why can't a recast storm have a more important role where she's reflective of who she is in the comics.

DC and Marvel don't have the diversity that The X-Men does. Take out the x-men out of marvel and the diversity takes a hit. And the female characters? They definitely have the largest collection of iconic female characters. So why is that not reflected on screen?

I mean I found Gambit. And a heist film isn't evactly breaking ground or exciting. I just feel that there is so much to do with the films and the characters and personalities that Fox isn't doing. They give us action films with action males.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Jan 2015, 09:06

You're right about Storm and Rogue. It was Berry or Paquin's faults that they were given bad roles.

As for Gambit, I mean what more is he really known for? I know of him as an Infiltrator type role. I'd give him either a heist or rescue type of mission. It'd be something that's basically the opposite of a Michael Bay movie to me.
A League of Their Own!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 14 Jan 2015, 13:31

My worry with Tatum is that he is stocky. Gambit is very lean. I know it's something superficial but it's a distinctive aspect to him for me.
His eyes may be another issue. I can see them doing it similar to how Taylor Kitsch looked with his eyes glowing when his powers activate.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Jan 2015, 14:14

Let's not go overboard and say that the X-Men have more diversity than the entirety of DC Comics (I'd prolly say Marvel too if you're counting ALL of Marvel Comics)...I mean that's just alittle too far LOL

However that said, it would be nice to get a X-Men film that really feels like a team movie and utilizes the vast array of personalities in it. Mystery Men was more of a team superhero film than all of the X-Men films...and it had a dude who could dig very well.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 14 Jan 2015, 15:36

I do want Rogue in this movie. I don't care who plays her. But it'd be fun to see her in the film with something to do. However, Fox would probably just make her a damsel-y love interest since so far all their X-females have been neutered beyond recognition, from Jean to Storm to Kitty to Rogue. Even Mystique, who kicks butt in the films, got shoved into a weird love interest role in the new films. God forbid they should address her bisexuality and give her a lesbian love interest.

That said, BC, I actually don't think you're giving the X-Men enough credit for diversity. Sure, ALL of Marvel and DC have a lot of diversity, but I'd argue that those characters are hardly intrinsic to their universe or well known properties outside the comics. If you ask anyone with any knowledge to name a black superhero, I'm guessing Storm is the first they will name. Beyond Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Supergirl, I'm guessing Storm, Rogue, and Jean Grey would show up on a list of superhero females the public is aware of. Maybe Black Widow and Invisible Woman would show up for Marvel. And note how two of the three big females at DC are extensions of a male character. You can try to say "Well Zatanna and She Hulk and Spider Woman and Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch and Hawk Girl"....except the general public is not terribly familiar with them. I'd say Cyborg is DC's most famous non-white superhero, and he's mostly known from Teen Titans, so most adults not familiar with comics would have no clue who you were talking about. Whereas anyone familiar with the X-Men at all would at least be able to name four females, if not more (I'd bet quite a few are aware of Emma Frost and Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, and maybe even Jubilee) and at least one person of color if they aren't aware of Bishop. Most gays and lesbians I know of are aware that Northstar is a gay comic character, and Mystique is bisexual, but ask them to name another and if they aren't comic fans they are stumped. So I think X-Men really does have the others beat. Especially since they aren't their own universe and yet I can list off more female heavy teams, more popular female characters, more people of color, than almost any other team book in comics.

I don't think Gambit should have his own film before Mystique or any other X-female. I'm fine with it, but I think it's stupid. Hollywood is so against making solo female action films and it's stupid. I promise you more people want to go see ScarJo play Black Widow in her own film than want to see Ant Man or Black Panther. Lucy did fairly well even though it wasn't very good. And Tatum, while having good comic timing, is one of the blandest actors ever to grace the screen. I enjoy him in certain things, but the guy isn't a talented actor. And he has almost no expression to his face, even in real life. Gambit is full of charisma and sex appeal--two things I think Tatum absolutely lacks. He may be "hot" (back in She's the Man days...I think he's too bloated looking nowadays), but he isn't sexy, no matter what other women say. I think this film is most likely going to be a nightmare. They'll still get my money, though.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Jan 2015, 15:50

But by the very nature of you being a pro-X-Men fan I'd say you're aren't coming from the most unbiased place and any list you can make, somebody of some other fan could do the same (I'm sure there's a Star Wars fan touting the diversity supreme of the Star Wars EU)...I'm sure a fan of DC could make a comparable argument and point to some subsection of adults they may know or say they know to make their point, pointing to cartoons, TV shows, animated films, merchandise (remember at one point Superfriends was huge and there are probably adults now who think Apache Chief is a BIG part of DC comics LOL), and anecdotal evidence to support their claim to DC's diversity dominance. I just think it's not even fair (to the X-Men actually) to compare a subsection of characters (some of which have gained attention outside of X-Men comics and films) to an entire company. It's not that important of a distinction to me...but I think sometimes these discussions come up, veer in a particular direction and our X-vision clouds us alittle bit. But I could totally be wrong too so just ignore me LOL

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 14 Jan 2015, 18:30

In this case, BC, I actually am going to ignore you :D I did a lot of research on this subject in college. Granted, that was five years ago and knowledge may have changed, but a big part of my thesis for Gender Studies was focused on visibility and recognization of female, queer, and racial minorities in the American superhero mythology. X-Men by far and wide topped the list as far as number of recognizable diverse characters in every single survey myself and my (DC loving, Wonder Woman fanatic) research partner conducted. While as far as females, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, and Catwoman topped the list, at least three X-females were always following (if the person could get that far). Again, this may have changed since Black Widow is much more visible now, post Avengers film. Storm was always number one as far as identifiable non-white superhero of either gender. Hardly any regular person was able to identify a gay superhero, and the ones that could always said Northstar (which might be more so now, with the publicity that surrounded his wedding). Also, pretty much no one was able to identify a Hispanic superhero, though several Asians made the list, again represented by a few X-characters (though most people apparently think Jubilee is white from the old 90's show; the number one Asian superhero listed was Mulan, followed by "Jackie Chan" which was hilarious). I think the only other franchise really notable in multi-racial diversity was GI Joe and Star Wars, the latter just barely. In any case, none of this is important as far as a Gambit film, so back on topic.

I honestly doubt Rogue will show up, but are they really going to do Bella Donna? I mean she has a horrible name. Candra maybe? I feel like a Gambit movie could be good, but it's going to play as Oceans 11 meets James Bond, so kind of a been there/done that feel.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Jan 2015, 19:34

Isn't it just the simple fact that Gambit, like Logan, is a loner, and so his story lends itself to a solo film? While Storm and Jean and Kitty are viewed as team players. It's probably harder to make a solo film out of a character who is a good team-mate and capable leader, much like its harder to make a comic series out of those characters. You have to generate an excuse for them going off on their own.

As far as female characters who could pull a solo film I think Rogue and Psylocke are the obvious candidates. But Rogue, as has been mentioned has been mostly neutered and made not a viable character by the previous films, and then they've barely introduced Psylocke, to the point she wasn't even recognizable in The Last Stand. Domino would be another good choice, but the chances of a film about Domino has probably been tainted by an action film of the same name featuring Kiera Knightly already having been made a few years back.

I'm not saying that a good Storm film couldn't be done, just like Pak is pulling off a really good Storm comic atm. But in Hollywood's eyes, its probably just easier and simpler to make a Gambit film, and we all know they like to take the path of least resistance.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

No Coast Avenger

Post by No Coast Avenger » 14 Jan 2015, 20:18

Anna Raven wrote:While Storm and Jean and Kitty are viewed as team players.
Not to derail again, but doesn't that say something about the nature of how female characters are generally portrayed? Since solo titles generally only featured men as leads for a long period of Marvel history, teams were an integral part of introducing female superheroes. In order to have more female leads, I think we also have to re-frame the idea of an independent, SOLO female, as opposed to a 'team-player' or male foil.

Also, I really can't picture Channing Tatum as Gambit. The body type is all wrong, and I agree that he seems like a very wooden, generic "hot dude" actor most of the time.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Jan 2015, 20:39

That's true, but then I listed a few characters I thought who could fill the bill, but also reasons why they don't work in this particular instance.

Honestly a Mystique film is our best bet.