Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Gotham: New Fox Series

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
XtremeOne1

Gotham: New Fox Series

Post by XtremeOne1 » 06 May 2014, 14:59

So the Gotham series has officially been greenlight for 13 episodes...and a trailer has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI

This looks cool but I'm not sure how I feel about the kid versions of some of these characters...I really don't want Bruce and Selena interacting so early and they can't say "Well Bruce just forgot"...He's Bruce Wayne. He doesn't "just forget" people. But this could be good, so I'll be checking it out!

hotknives

Re: Gotham: New Fox Series

Post by hotknives » 06 May 2014, 16:52

They've said the series will be separate from any kind of film continuity, so they can do what they like really.

I'm very excited for this - great cast, and the trailer looks fantastic
Uncanny Avengers Draft
1. Emma Frost
2. Wiccan
3. Magneto
4. Iron Fist
5. Dr Nemesis
6. Elixir
7. Ares
8.Mercury
9.Hellstorm

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 23 Sep 2014, 23:07

Who stole Thomas Wayne's, Jim Gordon's, Alfred Pennyworth's, Crispus Allen's, & Carmine Falcone's lip whiskers? Find out next week in "Mystery of the Missing Moustaches!"

I really like Catwoman being a thief since she was a kid rather than an heiress, stewardess, prostitute, secretary, animal rights activist, graphic designer, or whatever who instantly becomes the world's greatest thief on a whim. It's so elegant in its logical simplicity. She became Catwoman because she's been training her entire life for it.

The production design certainly feels like Gotham City except Barbara's apartment is ridiculous even by TV apartment standards.

Jim Gordon is boring. Thankfully Penguin, Fish Mooney, Catwoman, & Riddler are recurring characters.

Fish Mooney was better than her name suggested. I like her fashion & her hair trigger.

They did great showing off various aspects of the Penguin. He realy does feell ike a younger version of the character. They even referenced Batman Returns a bit with his horor movie sandwich theft.

I like that Falcone set up a patsy to give the illusion of order. It's too bad they aren't jumping forward to contrast that with the gimmick supervillains who thrive off upending the status quo.

When Penguin said the streets will run with blood, how cool would it be if he was prophesizing literally & the show became The Doom That Came to Gotham?

acolyte47

Post by acolyte47 » 23 Sep 2014, 23:45

I admit I liked the pilot more than I thought I would and thankfully the supporting cast looks to be pretty interesting. However so far Gordon is the weakest link and if this show has any hopes long term he has to round out better as a character. Still 15 episodes left to make the show work, look forward to more.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Sep 2014, 01:59

Is that Carmine, I thought that was his dad?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 24 Sep 2014, 02:46

It's Carmine. Don't think too hard about whether anyone's ages synch up.
The scene where Bullock goes to rescue Gordon & gets strung upsidedown for telling Fish what to do was funny.
So the butler did it?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Sep 2014, 02:52

Okay LOL...because I was most certainly doing that

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 26 Sep 2014, 14:39

I've read elsewhere that there's going to be hints that the Joker is here too. So instead of Joe Chill, maybe they're playing up the Burton movie aspect of the Joker killing his parents? I kinda got that vibe from the scenes of Bruce and the killer staring intently at each other.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Sep 2014, 20:26

That would really make him alot older than Bruce...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 27 Sep 2014, 04:55

Possibly but then again, Nicholson was older than Keaton and I thought that worked out fine. Is there some unstated rule that says that Joker and Batman must be around the same age?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Sep 2014, 08:24

I genuinely assumed the comedian guy was Joker.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 27 Sep 2014, 13:09

Anna Raven wrote:I genuinely assumed the comedian guy was Joker.
I didn't think that, but it makes sense. I know one of his origins has him being a failed comedian.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 01 Oct 2014, 10:48

Lilli Taylor as a chipper childnapper is perfect. This is the class of criminals I expect in Gotham City.
Bullock's repartee with Gordon is great.
I dig how Fish says everything very arch.
Selina gouged out an eye because she's a BAMF.
Nothing in this show should work, yet I'm having fun watching it. WHAT DEVILTRY IS THIS?

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 01 Oct 2014, 14:36

I was pretty meh about the first episode, but I really enjoyed this one. I, too, considered the comedian for the joker, but then all the kids that were sent "upstate" in this episode were wearing red hoodies, so I thought maybe he's one of them. Maybe the one that Selina talked to on the bus.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 01 Oct 2014, 22:27

Anna Raven wrote:I genuinely assumed the comedian guy was Joker.
I read a statement from one the show runners somewhere recently that there would be lots of teases about the identity of the Joker throughout the series. I think we'll see more scenes like this (a failed comedian, a mad man laughing maniacally on a street corner, a punk with green hair etc) just to make us think "is that the Joker? "

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 03 Oct 2014, 00:39

I was surprised how quickly it got so comic-booky. I love it. Those Dollmaker goons were camping it up good. Felt like an episode of TAS.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Oct 2014, 00:55

The second episode was WAAAY better than the pilot. I'm glad I gave it a second shot, because I was definitely on the fence, and tipping toward not watching, after the first episode.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Crawler

Post by Crawler » 03 Oct 2014, 02:30

Anna Raven wrote:The second episode was WAAAY better than the pilot. I'm glad I gave it a second shot, because I was definitely on the fence, and tipping toward not watching, after the first episode.
I'm with you! I liked the second episode much, much more than the pilot and now I'll stick around for a few more knowing the levels that the show can reach are higher than its initial showing.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 04 Oct 2014, 19:19

My main beef is that Gotham is almost too corrupt. Maybe this is why I could never get into Batman as a whole. Like, is there not a single good cop outside of Gordon?
A League of Their Own!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Oct 2014, 19:59

Allen and Montoya seem to be good cops. But I know what you mean.

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 05 Oct 2014, 16:08

tokenBG1009 wrote:My main beef is that Gotham is almost too corrupt. Maybe this is why I could never get into Batman as a whole. Like, is there not a single good cop outside of Gordon?
They need to work on that. Gordon's entire dept (including the captain?) seems corrupt and as the sole 'good cop', he's not making any headway in changing that. This will turn into a losing battle quickly unless he gets some help, maybe by convincing Allen and Montoya that he is on their side.

Oswald's attempts at kidnapping and ransom was fun. Richard Kind as the Mayor is inspired casting.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Oct 2014, 16:34

But that's kinda how Gotham was...Gordon did start to reform the police force but it took time and even still there were still corrupt elements. Its what makes Gordon stand out so much...Bullock isn't usually corrupt though.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Oct 2014, 16:59

Anna Raven wrote:Allen and Montoya seem to be good cops. But I know what you mean.
I'd forgotten about them. Though at first it seemed like they were the same corrupt cops that just wanted the media attention.
Blackcyclops wrote:But that's kinda how Gotham was...Gordon did start to reform the police force but it took time and even still there were still corrupt elements. Its what makes Gordon stand out so much...Bullock isn't usually corrupt though.
I think Harvey being the cop that's willing to bend, but not break the rules would've been a better addition. Someone who Gordon had to learn to trust as the show went on. I suppose they could have some redemption arc for him later in the show.
A League of Their Own!

medium13

Post by medium13 » 06 Oct 2014, 15:02

I was staying away from this, but had some time to kill and caught up via Hulu this weekend. I have to say, I like this start up better than both starts for Arrow and Smallville, which I'd say are the clear front runners in modern superhero live action adaption shows. I think the grit and grime of Gotham really works for Fox as well. I love that the entire city seems corrupt because to me, Gotham is a lost cause, an uphill battle that is barely contained and bursting with psychopaths and lunatics. I disagree that the show is presenting the police force as completely corrupt, but I think they are cynical, undermanned, underpaid, unsupported working class people who make more by being on the take and know the way the city works. It gives it a gritty, Detroit feel. It makes the interactions between Gordon and Bollock work for me.

I was super wary of a child Bruce Wayne, but I think it works too. I like that he's full of rage and is acting so traumatized, because he is. I was not expecting to see Alfred depicted as an authoritarian disciplinarian. I can't quite get a read on that. However, Selina Kyle isn't doing much for me although I think the costume and hair department did a great job of enhancing her feline look.

Penguin and Nygma seem to be stand out characters for me and I'm on the fence about Fish Mooney. Jada Pinkett is slowly winning me over but I'm not sure I can see her in this role every week and have her maintain her magic. In my mind Falcone is the better mobster and Penguin should eventually oust her. But I love the mob dynamics.

Is Barbara a mash up of Jim Gordon's first wife and the modern Batwoman? I would like that to be fleshed out a bit more.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Oct 2014, 15:53

Jim Gordon's first wife was named Barbara. Seems like just that to me.
A League of Their Own!