Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Arrow

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
_Rick_

Arrow

Post by _Rick_ » 13 Oct 2012, 04:12

Did anyone else see the pilot for this new show?I don't read much of DC (and my knowledge of Green Arrow is even more scarce) but I actually was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be really silly but, even though it had flaws, I though it showed potential.They seem to be going for a darker/realistic tone (as realistic as someone in a hood shooting arrows in a world filled with automatic weapons can be). Does Green Arrow kill people in the comics? It makes sense to have him like that (particularly since arrows to the chest do kill people) but I was surprised at them showing a hero that is comfortable with such methods.Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Mighty Marshal

Arrow

Post by Mighty Marshal » 13 Oct 2012, 12:02

I forgot to DVR it and I'm so mad at my life! The previews looked good, but I was worried it'd be a Smallville campfest. I haven't read DC as long as I've ready Marvel, and my experience has mostly been the Batman family and Teen Titans/Outsiders, but I think Oliver HAS killed in the past. I don't know that he regularly kills, but I don't think he has as strict a set of standards as Batman or Superman.

Monolith

Arrow

Post by Monolith » 15 Oct 2012, 14:09

I think they weighed the ramifications of having a hero that kills against the realism of having a hero whose entire schtick is shooting high-velocity pointy sticks at people yet somehow avoids ever causing a fatality, and just went for it.

medium13

Arrow

Post by medium13 » 15 Oct 2012, 17:12

I watched this. Marshal, you can catch it on  Hulu.com or probably the CW website. I watched on Hulu.

I liked it enough. I'm another casual DC fan - meaning I most know who the characters are but not much about them. I got that Speedy uses drugs was a nod to comics and the reveal that the girlfriend's first name is really Dinah.  I was surprised at his willingness to kill. I don't know that I'll watch more, but it wasn't bad.

EvilMonkeyPope

Arrow

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 Oct 2012, 04:38

This was surprisingly good.My biggest complaint is that Steven Amell is bland in the lead. Maybe it's more of a problem with the script sticking him with brooding Batman monologues. Even though Green Arrow was a Batman rip-off to begin with, he's the fun vigillante. I don't want to see him be a grim & gritty dude who just pretends to be a party animal to keep up a ruse. Oliver Queen is a witty rogue both in & out of costume. Merlyn seems to have all the charm in this.The action scenes were great.It was odd to see kidnappers in a DC show wearing Red Skull masks.Ollie's sister being "Speedy" was funny, though not as much as his ignorance of Twilight.Adam Hunt looks very much like Lex Luthor.I don't understand why Star City was changed to Starling City. I can't wait for Dinah (why'd they call her by her middle name all the time like JGL in TDKR?)Lance to become Black Canary.I didn't mind Green Arrow casually killing dudes. Some people suspect he may become less violent as the season goes on if he switches to non-lethal trick arrows.My favorite part of the episode was them showing the Deathstroke mask in the opening segment. That (hopefully) indicates that they'll escalate things to full superhero action quickly rather than making us wait years for cool stuff to happen like Smallville.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu9QZkL-MS4&feature=player_embedded 

EvilMonkeyPope2012-10-16 05:11:57

_Rick_

Arrow

Post by _Rick_ » 16 Oct 2012, 14:22

Regarding the lead actor, I get what you mean EMP. His expressions were often "wooden". I don't know the actor (so I can't really judge yet) but maybe that's really is what the writers intend him to be.What I took from the pilot is that he is putting on a constant show as to not let anyone see how truly damaged he is right now. The guy has literally been to hell and shows symptoms of PTSD (being constantly alert to his surroundings, flashbacks, sleeping on the floor, etc). Maybe those expressions are just part of it. He seems to have three modes: hyper alert blank stare, eerily normal warm smile and crazy eyes PTSD killer. Anyway, I definitely don't expect to see much of "fun party Oliver" except as a mask. I'm not a huge fan of how everything HAS to be dark and gritty these days, but considering the backstory they chose here, I'd be really weird if Arrow would be like that.

Blackcyclops

Arrow

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2012, 14:31

Deathstroke is reportedly showing up soon...like in full costume.

Gremlin

Arrow

Post by Gremlin » 16 Oct 2012, 14:58

This is ok. I am going to let the cast settle into their roles I think. There were some slightly wooden performances but the script didn't help with that. I have zero knowledge of the Green Arrow so all this is new to me but if they make it so occasionally he kills people then it's fine by me. 

EvilMonkeyPope

Arrow

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 Oct 2012, 16:17

The trailers indicate that there will be a lot of semi-recognizable comics characters popping up.I'm wondering how long they can sustain this show. Green Arrow's enemies are usually marksmen & martial artists. He doesn't really have a lot of themed big bads that'd be good recurring threats like Batman. He's fun if you pit him against superpowered foes that seem out of his league, but I don't think they'll use any metahumans on the show. They could alternate between costume criminals & white collar criminals from his dad's book, but would it get boring?

Lorr

Arrow

Post by Lorr » 16 Oct 2012, 22:24

I was watching that pilot Going ...wait, he has a surviving parent? Then I realized mommies a villain and will be murdered by The end of the season. Like this show so far.

EvilMonkeyPope

Arrow

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 Oct 2012, 23:27

It appears that they're merging Moira Queen (who died long before Ollie became Green Arrow & was benevolent) with Isabel Rochev, who was a Brightest Day era masked villainess. She was an ex-lover of Ollie's dad who took over Queen Industries & called herself The Queen. Moira could also turn out to be The Queen of the Royal Flush Gang. Either way, she's the Gertrude to Ollie's Hamlet.

medium13

Arrow

Post by medium13 » 27 Oct 2012, 16:01

I don't like the women in this show.medium132012-10-27 16:02:38

UncannyScott

Arrow

Post by UncannyScott » 27 Oct 2012, 16:52

Finally caught up on the second and third episode of this on DVR today, and I'm really liking it. Sure the acting is a bit off here and there, but I don't notice it as much as I did with Smallville later on (I say later on because I was younger for the first few seasons and didn't really notice such things till later in life re-viewing).

Glad they dealt with him coming up with a way to cover his absences with the club cause it was starting to get utterly ridiculous that he was able to be slipping in and out and the bodyguard being irked over and over.

There will be no meta-humans for sure as that would suck for Ollie, but alternating the martial artists/marksman types and him just dealing with those in the book from his dad intermixed with showing his island life to me won't be too bad. It could be a bit boring perhaps, but so far they have seemed to be doing okay so we'll see how it goes.

EvilMonkeyPope

Arrow

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 27 Oct 2012, 22:09

I wish the villains got more screentime. Deadshot was criminally underused given his role in the comics & how easy it is to adapt him him to TV. I hope he returns.Since Green Arrow is wearing his green
comic book costume despite the colorless title, I don't see why his foes can't
dress more comic accurate too. Some color would give them personality & make
them easier to see during shadowy fight scenes. Black leather jackets are
boring.Ollie's decision not to run a branch of his dad's company actually felt like a
responsible move rather than another charade. He's got PTSD & no MBA,
afterall.It's strange that the cops call him The Hood instead of Green Arrow.I hope Dinah becomes Black Canary soon so Ollie gets another crimefighter to banter playfully with rather than stay a joyless solo act.Ollie is an ignoramus if he has no concept of Hamlet. This was funny.A recording arrow won't hold up in court.It  was cool to see the sulphur pit from Highlander get used again. The giant warehouse that China White fought Ollie is was nifty looking too.It's nice that they're playing up the socially conscious Robin Hood angle, but Ollie lets the rich scumbags off easier than their hired help. If they cheated the system before, what makes him think they won't do it again?I hope the supporting cast get some new development because they've been repeating the same character beats for 3 episodes.I'm surprised at all the sensible fan service they've been able to work into the show: Fat Belly Burgers is owned by Lexcorp. Deadshot's hotel  was located at DC Comics's NYC address  & his room was their current favorite number. Felicity Smoak is Firestorm's stepmom. Corto Maltese & markovia were referenced. Characters have been named after Mike Grell, Ann Nocenti, Dan Jurgens, & Andy Diggle. The Deadhot impersonator Marc Piler was in Ollie's notebook.If you take a shot every time a character reminds another of a relative that died tragically, you will die.

Monolith

Arrow

Post by Monolith » 02 Nov 2012, 12:54

Doubt Deadshot's story is finished. We learned Bodyguard Diggle had a brother who was killed in the same episode we see Deadshot with a tattoo of "Andrew Diggle" on his chest. This has to come up again.

EvilMonkeyPope

Arrow

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 02 Nov 2012, 19:48

They did just reference it in the last episode, so I hope this doesn't close the book on Deadshot.The last episode was pretty terrible. It had had some of the most rote hero-love interest scenes possible & a dull main plot. The cliffhanger was cool though.Starling City is within commuting distance of Bludhaven & has co-opted Central City's Iron Heights Prison.Dig & Detective Lance are surprisingly good characters.Walter Steele's orange glasses are keen.
EvilMonkeyPope2012-11-03 05:27:20

medium13

Arrow

Post by medium13 » 03 Nov 2012, 11:06

[QUOTE=Monolith] Doubt Deadshot's story is finished. We learned Bodyguard Diggle had a brother who was killed in the same episode we see Deadshot with a tattoo of "Andrew Diggle" on his chest. This has to come up again.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't noticed this, but I also have to admit that I did not know bodyguard Diggle had a name.

Blackcyclops

Arrow

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Nov 2012, 12:20

I'm really surprised at how much comic stuff is really integrated into the show. They could have easily and simply called the prison anything or used a real city instead of Bludhaven.

_Rick_

Arrow

Post by _Rick_ » 03 Nov 2012, 23:06

@ EMP, I see why you say the episode was terrible (I disliked the main plot as well) but I really liked the secondary plots and the cliffhanger so, for me, it balanced out in the end. So far I'm not very interested in the romance parts (I wish they would dial it down for a bit) but I loved everything else.Diggle's scenes were good. I appreciated that he struggled with the decision to help and why he finally gave in and decided to do it. Oliver needs someone to be honest with and it makes sense that he would choose Diggle (unlike the others, he sees him for what he is and not for what he was since he didn't know him before).I also enjoyed Ollie's interaction with his sister and Walter not being easily duped by his wife's lies.Detective Lance finally showing some intelligence and catching Oliver in the security cams was also good (and a bit surprising honestly). While I was watching Oliver invade the prison I was literally rolling my eyes and thinking "yeah... miraculously no security camera will catch him" and them I had to eat my words. I wonder how they'll manage to press the reset button on Oliver's charade though.@ BC They do seem to be making a lot of fan service by mentioning things in the DC Universe in subtle ways.Like I said, I don't read DC a lot but here are some that were brought to my attention:- Diggle's sister in law works at Big Belly Burger (which is owned by Lex Luthor);- The train was coming from Bludhaven (Nightwing);- Iron Heights as the prison (Flash); - Diggle's brother is Andrew Diggle (Andy Diggle is a Green Arrow writer);- "Jurgens' case" is a reference to Dan Jurgens (another DC writer);- Deadshot was in room 52 (reference to the New 52 reboot);- Markovia (home of Geo-Force) and Corto Maltese (an island featured in DCU);- Nocenti (reference to another writer - Ann Nocenti);- Judge Grell (reference to Mike Grell another writer and artist). His work actually appears on the show (the police sketch of Arrow);

Blackcyclops

Arrow

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Nov 2012, 23:08

I'm telling you they're going to pull the Rhodey/Tony movie...best way to save face LOL

EvilMonkeyPope

Arrow

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 04 Nov 2012, 00:51

I also think Dig's going to give Ollie an alibi by doing Green Arrow stuff while he's on trial. A good prosecutor would at least be able to show that the circumstantial evidence indicates that Ollie is in cahoots with a possible gang of emerald archers.I'm wondering if they pulled their "Thea/Speedy is a junkie" card too early. In the comics it was a shocking moment, especially since Roy/Speedy was an established character. Here it's one of the earliest character beats for Thea. It'd have more heatwrenching if only the audience knew about her drug habit as Ollie tried to rebuild his relationship with her. Now it seems like her drug abuse is being treated a bit too cavalier & recreational.

Blackcyclops

Arrow

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Nov 2012, 00:53

When you're a wealthy playboy who moonlights as a vigilante, the best way to save your secret identity is to ask your black bodyguard to impersonate you. Its like a rule...

EvilMonkeyPope

Arrow

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 04 Nov 2012, 01:33

Spider-Man has fellow whiteboy Flash Thompson double for him but it's okay since neither is rich. If there was a Black Panther show they could mix it up by having Everett K. Ross (badly) impersonate BP to protect T'challa. Or even better, an episode of Heroes for Hire where Power Man & Iron Fist switch costumes. The charade wouldn't hold up to any scrutiny but it would skeeve their enemies out.

Blackcyclops

Arrow

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Nov 2012, 01:37

[QUOTE=EvilMonkeyPope]

Spider-Man has fellow whiteboy Flash Thompson double for him but it's okay since neither is rich. If there was a Black Panther show they could mix it up by having Everett K. Ross (badly) impersonate BP to protect T'challa. Or even better, an episode of Heroes for Hire where Power Man & Iron Fist switch costumes. The charade wouldn't hold up to any scrutiny but it would skeeve their enemies out.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea LOL...actually I like both.

If this show works, Marvel should really consider a Black Panther show. I'm not sure what network to play it on. I mean ABC just isn't, I don't think, a tonal fit but perhaps ABC Family? But if they do that then its going to be a teenage T'Challa and involve a mystery LOL

Cable

Arrow

Post by Cable » 06 Nov 2012, 14:08

I don't watch this show but I saw this article. It gets good ratings.