Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Doctor Who

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Nu-D

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Nu-D » 25 Apr 2016, 19:42

Blackcyclops wrote:I'm always sad people didn't like Martha as much as I did. I know it's a taste thing but she's just so lovely.

Amy and Rory are both my second faves.

It's weird that some outlets are saying this is the first companion since Donna to not be romantically connected with the Doctor (Amy might have at first but their relationship was always more brother and sister like to me as it developed). But I'm like Clara and Capaldi didn't have those kinda feelings toward each other, right? Now the Doctor and Missy? I ship them.

And NuD, I know you said major but man it's hard to leave Mickey and Wilfred.
Wilfred is one of my favorite characters, but I can't call him a "companion" because he hardly travelled with the Doctor at all. Mickey was pretty good too, but not my favorite. IMO, to qualify as a "primary" or "major" companion, you have to spend more than 75% of a season traveling with the Doctor.

Honestly, if we were to rate "boyfriends of primary companions," it would go:

Rory--A classic. His own character with a great arc. Upgraded from boyfriend to "companion"
Micky--pretty good, funny at times but sometimes annoying.
Pink--who sucked. I hated him.

I also liked Martha quite a bit, but she just kind of sank lower on the list because of how awesome Donna, Amy, and Rory are.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Apr 2016, 20:24

I'm okay with all of that lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 16 Apr 2017, 20:15

it's been almost a year!

Who saw this season kick off? I like Bill and Naldo and the Doctor's new status quo... wasn't THAT fond of the villain and plot of the storyline itself...

(And I LOVED the photographs!)

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 17 Apr 2017, 16:45

This was pretty OK. The plot and villain were nothing special. The Doctor had some good chemistry with Nardole and Bill. As introductory episodes go, not remotely as good as "Rose," "The Runaway Bride," or "The Eleventh Hour." About as memorable as "Smith & Jones" -- i.e., not very.

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 17 Apr 2017, 17:20

I love Smith & Jones!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 17 Apr 2017, 21:16

Me too. Judoon platoon on the Moon!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Apr 2017, 01:12

I liked it and thought it was a cute start...Bill is the first really really working class British companion since Rose but with the mouth of Donna and I like it.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 22 Apr 2017, 21:27

I... loved that. While last episode I found the plot and villain at hand underwhelming, today I saw pure gold. I predict this to be my favourite episode of the season.

When we see science fiction as a way to explore modern technologies, taking a look at emoticons is an interesting thing to do... yeah loved it.

Wings

Post by Wings » 22 Apr 2017, 22:58

I think the bit at the end with the colonists needed a bit more room to breathe than we got with it. (It kind of felt like the Doctor and Bill were giving out to the colonists for the robots malfunctioning, even though they had no way of knowing they'd react to grief by killing people or that they were becoming sentient?) but I thought this was really good as well.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 22 Apr 2017, 23:06

in the Doctor's defense, he knew now that in a fight between the robots and the humans, the humans wouldn't stand a chance. Now that the robots were reset, no matter what had happened, keeping the now reset robots on their side was by far the best option.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 23 Apr 2017, 03:43

I'm glad whoever programmed the robots gave them an option for murderous emoji!

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 23 Apr 2017, 14:33

I saw correctly pointed out that it was odd to say the least that just last week, the Doctor concluded that wiping someone's mind is a bad thing to do, yet this week he without hesitation wiped the recent memories of these robots that, as he just concluded, had become sentient.

And I get that he was trying to prevent a massacre, but it what I see is a missed opportunity to connect these events.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 23 Apr 2017, 14:49

Whilst I liked it, I had the odd issue with it.

Mainly why did they have to include the start bit where they told the audience what had happened. It would have been so much better as a mystery, think about the episode if it started with them stepping out of the tardis and we were as in the dark as the characters and also thinking that people hadn't yet landed at all.

Then the end- the humans awake, go to start a fight and the doctor's reaction to the whole thing. It just seemed odd.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 26 Apr 2017, 01:16

Weird coincidence that the villain in Supergirl was similar to the bad guy in Doctor Who this week, with a collective of flying nanobots.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 May 2017, 13:02

I really like Bill as a companion...she reminds me of Rose but without the "will they or won't they" component like Amy and 11 (I always saw 11 and Amybas weird bestfriends lol)...and I dig her style, I loved Clara's swag too tho, very haute lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 May 2017, 03:36

Maybe it's just me but damn DW has been on a roll this season.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 May 2017, 03:52

Doctor Who vs. Capitalist Astro-Zombies was great!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Jun 2017, 14:13

Am I'm tripping or has this season of Doctor Who been some of the best...possibly ever? I just watched Extremis and WOW, that was some Black Mirror (sans the cynicism and the morbid fascination with the worst of humanity)level sci-fi.

I always felt like with Davies run of the show the series was definitely a sci-fi show but it always leaned more towards fantasy and kept it's philosophical inquiry to a textual/surface level. What Moffat excelled at, I always felt like, was the ability to elevate (like Classic Who did at times) the sci-fi-ness of the show and really dig deeper into the philosophical and social inquiry that good sci-fi does. And I think Extremis, for all it's usual Who-ness is such a great episode. It might on the surface be about what it was about it, but it still poses some fundamental questions about reality and what is "real". And what's more, I appreciated that it balanced it out with the usual Who-ness, so to keep it fun and not dark like a Black Mirror. Moffat certainly has his shortcomings but I will definitely miss episodes like this when he is gone. Between this and Heaven Sent, he might have given us the best Doctor Who episodes I've ever seen.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 03 Jun 2017, 16:57

I have been saying to my girlfriend how amazing this series has been Moffatt and co have really pulled out the stops for the last series.

My only issue with the last two episodes is Bill making such a stupid decision at the end and why the doctor never just said 'I'll regenerate, calm down'....and how the whole 'consent' thing works.

But really an amazing series this year

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Jun 2017, 17:01

Extremis had a "consent" issue? And regeneration didnt factor though. I haven't seen episode 7 yet

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 03 Jun 2017, 17:41

Ah sorry no, sorry I'm talking about the next episode (sorry I got confused)....there's not really spoilers there though. Sorry still.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Jun 2017, 17:45

Lol...it's cool...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 03 Jun 2017, 17:55

I think my britishness was showing there, four sorries in one sentence

You should see me buying something in a shop

'Sorry can I just get this....thanks'
hand over item 'thanks'
''£5'
Hands over money Both 'Thank you'

pick up item
Thank you

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 04 Jun 2017, 17:07

Hmmm

Both Heaven Sent and Extremis remind me of the early days of modern Who when Moffat's job was still to produce one single gem per season. While I enjoy his seasons and arches, as a writer of single episodes he excels even more. Heaven Sent is my favourite single episode ever, and Extremis is not gonna be top 5 material for me but still damn good.

I hear you BC, so far this is my favourite season ever for having solid episode after solid episode. However, and I understand spoilers are a thing, but however, I must go on record and say that this weekend's episode The Lie Of The Land is the weakest episode of this season for me. It just didn't deliver, but heck, here's to a great season!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Jul 2017, 19:04

My X-Men Draft Picks: