Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Doctor Who

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Gibbering Fool

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Gibbering Fool » 16 Nov 2015, 11:56

I reckon they're going to defy expectations and cast a young British woman from the 21st century as the next companion...oh wait.

I got the vibe from Davros' talk with the Doctor at the beginning of the season that the Doctor's hybrid secret was the reason he stole the TARDIS and started his life of running. However it could have something to do with Missy and Clara and the Daleks, which I'm sure is coming at the end of the season.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Nov 2015, 12:57

This was the first really weak episode for me...Imve really liked the two-parters (usually prefer them). I do like horror-style episodes more than anything so perhaps thats why both recent two-parters were cool to me (plus I just like shape-shifting villains). am not a Clara fan, besides her style, so always wanted her replaced by Danny Pink or the kids she used to babysit.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 16 Nov 2015, 13:19

This episode was such a wasted opportunity! I barely understood what was going on at the end.

I am sure you can make a hugely compelling antagonist out of a capitalist who wants to remove the need for sleep. That is an incredibly understandable desire yet at the same time a frightening prospect. I found that a lovely concept, but the episode wasn't about that at all was it? It barely scratched the surface of what could make an incredibly interesting philosophical debate and turned into Doctor versus monsters. And the antagonist's goal just ended up being a generic "zombify everyone!".

I have no real preference for 1-parters or 2-parters, but I can't help but notice this season tends to lean towards 2-parters and that it has become a fantastic season, and that the one time it shoehorns a 1-parter in it takes a short dive for the worse.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 17 Nov 2015, 01:01

Blackcyclops wrote:This was the first really weak episode for me...Imve really liked the two-parters (usually prefer them). I do like horror-style episodes more than anything so perhaps thats why both recent two-parters were cool to me (plus I just like shape-shifting villains). am not a Clara fan, besides her style, so always wanted her replaced by Danny Pink or the kids she used to babysit.
Danny Pink was the worst....like as boring as possible. And the kids she used to be babysit...mwhat terrible actors. I'd prefer the student she brought along in that moon is the egg episode, she was great.

Not sure what I prefer in the next companion(whenever Jenna Coleman decides to leave). No love interest, gives the doctor shit are a must. Not River is another. No "mystery" surrounding them(no Impossible Girl or crap like that).

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Nov 2015, 01:42

*shrug* I like Danny Pink and given something to do would make him better. All kid actors on here suck but I wanted a Doctor to travel with kids, those the first that came to my mind.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 17 Nov 2015, 06:23

I liked Donna. I know Cathrine Tate is a love-her-or-hate-her actress but the dynamic between Donna and the Doctor was great. The standout episode for me was the Pompeii one where she begged and pleaded for the Doctor to stop least save someone. The Doctor needs another person like that who will challenge him more instead of just bending to his will.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 17 Nov 2015, 10:18

Donna's still my favourite companion. That dynamic worked so, so well.

I know that traditionally the assistant tends to be something young and pretty "for the dads", but I think we're in a place where that can change - Dr Who is very well established again, and shaking things up would work well.

A male companion (Rory is still easily my favourite of the Moffat years), an alien companion, an older companion - all would work, I reckon.

Moffat has shown to have no problems taking risks in the past - and I really think a different companion would be a change for the better
Uncanny Avengers Draft
1. Emma Frost
2. Wiccan
3. Magneto
4. Iron Fist
5. Dr Nemesis
6. Elixir
7. Ares
8.Mercury
9.Hellstorm

Liquid Nitrogen

Post by Liquid Nitrogen » 22 Nov 2015, 22:54

They just did the thing. I in no way saw that as a thing they would do.
Spoiler: show
they killed her off. Just as she was becoming a bearable companion, in my eyes. U thought to myself, "actually, I'm not as sick of her as I used to be, i might actually come to like her"
But now the thing is done. And that is irrelevant. And for someone I didn't really like that much
Spoiler: show
I kinda miss Clara Oswald
Cause Physics!

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 23 Nov 2015, 11:17

Looks like the speculation seen mostly on Bleeding Cool is accurate. As soon as I saw the Doctor back in his regular suit I knew this was an earlier version of the the Doctor than we've seen before this season. Then when he didn't recognize Ashildir it synched it for me. Follow that with him handing over the confession dial at the end, I'm sure that's going to make it back to Missy where it all started.

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 29 Nov 2015, 13:46

ok, when did you guys notice the loop? :P

last possible moment for me, more or less, which I think only made the episode more interesting, but I can see certain hints may have helped others reach that theory a bit sooner, will be interesting to hear

it was a great watch one way or another I say

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Nov 2015, 21:17

I noticed the loop when he had a dry set of clothes set out.
"Heaven Sent" felt a bit like Zardoz, but in a good way

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 30 Nov 2015, 10:02

Yeah as soon as we saw the exact same set of clothes as his drying I realized there must've been a loop. Though where did the first set of clothes come from? Was there one iteration of the Doctor who died naked?

The end was a big surprise.

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 30 Nov 2015, 12:14

I wondered why the ocean floor wasnt littered with stools he threw out of that window :P

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 30 Nov 2015, 22:51

They're water soluble stools.
The events within the confession dial may be illusory like The Matrix.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 06 Dec 2015, 12:39

Well there goes the theories about the earlier episodes being set after Clara's death.

Rassilon went from a raging regal James Bond to and old fuddering steward from Game of Thrones.

The whole hybrid mystery was a bit of a let down.

I was sure when the Doctor visited Clara at the diner he was visiting one of her many alternates (who've never been addressed since The Name of the Doctor). I never expected it'd be a reverse Donna situation.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 27 Dec 2015, 01:09

"The Husbands of River Song" = BEST EPISODE OF THE YEAR!

Liquid Nitrogen

Post by Liquid Nitrogen » 27 Dec 2015, 01:23

Agreed
Cause Physics!

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 23 Jan 2016, 16:24

SO, Moffat is leaving with Chris Chibnall set to take over next.

Overall, I enjoyed Moffat's run, he brought some really interesting ideas and characters to the show (though the solid execution of such could be debated). As for Chibnall, I think the episodes that he's written for the show have been decent (42 probably being my favorite amongst them) so I'm interested to see what he'll do as the show-runner.

The biggest question is what of Capaldi? Will he exit with Moffat? Stay on with Chibnall? I hope he does stay, I really liked the growth of his version of the Doctor in this last season.

As for that, no new Who this year either. BBC said they will air Moffat's last season in 2017. Let the long waiting game begin...
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 24 Jan 2016, 07:49

I don't get why we have to go a year without Doctor Who all year. Did they say why?

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 24 Jan 2016, 17:32

BBC mentioned something along the lines of due to so many other national/international events this year like the Euros and the Olympics, they wanted to garner as much attention as possible for Moffat's last season so they postponed it till 2017.

Here's a more official announcement:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... ve-series/
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 25 Jan 2016, 01:26

Maybe we'll get Peter Jackson's episode next year? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM

Wings

Post by Wings » 24 Apr 2016, 14:36

From what little we saw of her, she seems cool, aslight bit more awkward than Clara was. I just hope they ground her life on Earth a bit better than that did Clara's.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 25 Apr 2016, 01:44

Clara was my least favorite of the major companions in the modern era. I won't be sad to see her gone.

Donna
Rory
Amy
Martha
Rose
Clara

(I'm not through with the most recent season, so no spoilers please!)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Apr 2016, 12:37

I'm always sad people didn't like Martha as much as I did. I know it's a taste thing but she's just so lovely.

Amy and Rory are both my second faves.

It's weird that some outlets are saying this is the first companion since Donna to not be romantically connected with the Doctor (Amy might have at first but their relationship was always more brother and sister like to me as it developed). But I'm like Clara and Capaldi didn't have those kinda feelings toward each other, right? Now the Doctor and Missy? I ship them.

And NuD, I know you said major but man it's hard to leave Mickey and Wilfred.

My X-Men Draft Picks: