Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Doctor Who

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: Doctor Who

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Oct 2018, 19:57

WHERE THE FRELL WAS THE TITLE SEQUENCE WITH THE ICONIC THEME MUSIC?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 08 Oct 2018, 08:21

I felt the pilot was alright.

Still too early to know what Whittaker's Doctor will be like - bit kooky, okay one-lines but I'm a bit bored of the post-regeneration Doctor whose all confused as to their own identity.

Will always have a soft spot for Bradley Walsh, an exceptionally old school type entertainer who it's nice to see get a dramatic part, but one where his humour can still shine. The other two supporting cast members seem a bit dull - and why did they got the US TV route of having a thirty year old play a teenager. Both Yas and Ryan appear both too old for their supposed parts. Shame to see Clarke's Grace die so quickly, especially as it was so choreographed - she seemed quite a fun and energetic character and could've been a decent support - similar to a Jackie Tyler or Wilf Mott.

The Predator-esque tooth-face hunter was pretty cool - didn't get the Tim Shaw gag though, and the DNA bombs didn't make much sense beyond a plot device to keep the new crew together.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 09 Oct 2018, 19:17

I enjoyed it, as a set up episode and introduction to characters. I think Jodie did a good job as the Doctor and a friend of mine who is big doctor who fan and has dyspraxia was pleased to see Ryan as the new companion. I liked Grace, but knowing she wasn't going to be a companion, I was waiting for her death. I like the dynamics of having 3 new diverse companions, nu-who at least has been of the pattern introducing younger woman as companion, then maybe adding her boyfriend later on in adventures. So yeah this feels fresher. I agree the characters of Ryan and Yas, should have been aged up a bit or casting should be closer to age, but I didn't find it too distracting.

I presume we'll get new title sequence next week, now everyone's been introduced.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 09 Oct 2018, 21:33

As someone who is interested in getting into this series. Is this a good jumping on point? Also I'm a stickler for seeing everything but the show is quite lengthy. Anyone have a suggested watch list so I can get caught up or should I go through the while series?

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 09 Oct 2018, 21:54

Juggernaut wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:33
As someone who is interested in getting into this series. Is this a good jumping on point? Also I'm a stickler for seeing everything but the show is quite lengthy. Anyone have a suggested watch list so I can get caught up or should I go through the while series?
Yes, i think this is potentially a pretty good jumping on point. Having said that its only the first episode, but I'm not expecting the rest of the season to be bogged down in continuity references to old seasons.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Oct 2018, 23:20

Juggernaut wrote:

Honestly the show does build off previous seasons but because Eras have a very different feel to them, you can pick different ones to check out.

Like the Tennant Era (also has 9th Doctor there too), the Smith Era and the Capaldi Era
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 10 Oct 2018, 06:42

This should be a clear jumping in on point. New Doctor, new Companions, new show runner.

Before this, there's Smith's era (starting with probably the best post resurrection story so far). I think Smith and Capaldi flow quite well into each other - especially with Clara acting as the bridge...Capaldi's res story was awful but keep with him as he really grows into the role and is a fav. (I loved the return of an older, crankier Doctor).

I'd say the Ninth and Tenth Doctor eras also are essentially part of the same block, so Rose is a good starting point if you're just looking at New-Who. It hasn't aged that well in places though - particularly first season has some ropey FX and a fair bit of cheese.

You won't really need to know much about classic Who except Cybermen are bad, Daleks are worse and Unit can be helpful / inept depending on the whims of the writer. I only caught a few Pertwee (on VHS - showing my age) and McCoy stories (original run) plus the Doctor Who 90s movie (Eighth Doctor) before the revival. Saying that it's a richer experience following New Who if you have a bit of a background in the Classic Who as there's lots of sly references, and some more explicit links (particularly Smith's era which tied in with the big 50 anniversary) and Capaldi.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Oct 2018, 20:11

As someone who tapped out of the Capaldi era, I really enjoyed this. In particular, I enjoyed the climax of the scene on the crane, with her telling the kid he had no right to do what he did. Ugh. I think I love her.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Oct 2018, 21:54

Juggernaut wrote:
This might be a good jumping on point, but I’d simultaneously start with the beginning of the new Who, Series 1 from 2005. There’s so much great stuff in the first five or six seasons, you don’t want to miss out. I’m more iffy on the later Smith years, and didn’t like Capaldi.

For US viewers, what platform do you stream new episodes on? I’ve generally been a season behind, so watched it on Amazon. But I want to see this new one. EDIT: never mind. The BBC America app is streaming the first episode free.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Oct 2018, 19:45

Plot holes are common in Doctor Who, but usually they’re handled with more ingenuity, humor, or panache. This episode was flat & slow. This feels like a forgettable mid-season episode, not the dawn of a bold new era. It’s even more underwhelming in comparison to the premieres of the RTD & Moffat reigns. This really needed to be a humdinger to win over the naysayers (& validate the supporters). Chibnall can’t just coast on the novelty of debuting the first canonical woman Doctor.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... ho-dc-too/

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Oct 2018, 01:25

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 19:45
Plot holes are common in Doctor Who, but usually they’re handled with more ingenuity, humor, or panache. This episode was flat & slow. This feels like a forgettable mid-season episode, not the dawn of a bold new era. It’s even more underwhelming in comparison to the premieres of the RTD & Moffat reigns. This really needed to be a humdinger to win over the naysayers (& validate the supporters). Chibnall can’t just coast on the novelty of debuting the first canonical woman Doctor.
I think you’re being a little too harsh. The episode was fine. The new doctor fits the mold and she’ll carry the torch well, assuming the writing supports her. I think the big problem is that the formula is wearing a bit thin. Oooh, episode one is in Sheffield, not London! Whoop-de-do!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Oct 2018, 03:57

I do think the idea of a younger, contemporary Earth based companion is wearing a little thin. I think with Walsh there's the potential for another angle but I think since the revival only Jack, River and Nardole are longer term companions who don't fit this mould (ignoring the one-off characters). I get why they use this take (it's the audience's window into a bizarre scenario) but with time and space at their mercy you'd hope the writers could play with who could be a companion a bit more.
X-Editorial:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Oct 2018, 01:40

I’m coming around to these companions and last night episode is now one of all time favorites...never thought DW would so bluntly tackle racism. This episode resonates with me so much...Graham is becoming a fave of mine already lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 23 Oct 2018, 14:03

Really good episode, and liked the more subtle villain, trying to nudge history rather than some big alien threat, it really gave all the focus on Rosa's story.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Oct 2018, 14:21

This episode was incredible.

She’s the best doctor. Fight me.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Oct 2018, 16:30

I think the most profound part is that the villain was from the future but was still basically an ol’ fashion racist...its one of those DW moments where you are reminded that the good fight will always have to be fought.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 Nov 2018, 06:28

The Rosa Parks episode was good.

Spiders on Earth was fun - the CGI looked good and plenty of creeps. Not a massive fan of the Trump imitator (whilst my opinion of the current President is awfully low, I didn't need this episode to tell me Trump = fool, I'm well aware of that already). Massive plot holes throughout though.

And episode 5? Dear God this was awful. It was series 1 Slitheen nonsense. After a decent threat with the arachnids, this monster was rubbish. If the last episode had plot holes throughout, then this episode's plot was mere strands. Utterly rubbish. Also why was the Doctor the most badly affected by the sonic mine and her companions had basically jogged off pains that she had for entire episode of corridor running.

5 episodes in and I'm not overly impressed so far. The Doctor, Ryan and Graham are fine (while their relationship is a little cheesy, at least it's earnest). Yas is terrible (most under developed companion for quite some time). And the scripts and plots are dodgy as heck. I feel sorry for Whittaker, I do think she's being hampered by the scripts. That odd monologue on antimatter was weird and so off pace.
X-Editorial:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Nov 2018, 09:54

I do feel like they’re struggling to find a true character trait for this Doctor. She feels a lot like she’s bouncing around the Matt Smith/David Tennant character beats, but i’d like to see something more distinctive than her gender to separate her from those two doctors. I think Whittaker’s doing really well with the material she’s got, but then again, around episode 5/6 is where I’d expect to start seeing plot points for the “big bad” of the season, and so far... I dunno. Other than maybe someone instigating people to go back in time and force a more fascist regime? I don’t see it.

Disagree on Yas. I really liked her in the spider episode and I feel like Ryan’s the weak link in terms of companions. I don’t know whether it’s an intentional bias on the grounds that we have a female Doctor, or whether it’s because she’s more intelligent and useful than Ryan, but it feels like all he gets to do is have some kind of stilted dialogue delivered with a really odd and off-beat cadence.

I do enjoy that this series is “based” further outside or London or Cardiff than previous seasons. Using Sheffield as a base is something that really tickles me for reasons I can’t quite explain, other than “I bet this really confuses American viewers because it’s not set in London”.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Nov 2018, 17:09

Well the creators purposely are avoiding a big bad this series. Which could be an issue here as well, since we’ve been trained for that.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Nov 2018, 20:26

I like Yas but I feel that she's not given enough to do. Graham hogs all the compelling companion beats.
How has locking the spiders away to canniablize, starve, & suffocate supposed to be the more merciful option?
The Pting was adorable!
The second episode implied they were setting up the Stansha ice-predators to be recurring interplanetary foes.
I still don't care for Chris Chibnall's writing.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 07 Nov 2018, 21:03

Yeah, the 13th Doctor doesn't really have a hook for me yet. I don't blame the actress at all, but I just haven't really got to grips with her yet. The first episode suggested she would be a bit of a tinkerer - bodging high tech solutions with low tech resources - but that fix was left to the Spanner brother in E5 when it could have been the Doctor's job.

Also the no guns thing is becoming a little cringe for me. What was an incarnation statement seems to have become a defining mandate. It's not like violence hasn't been used by prior Doctors (who didn't love Pertwee's martial arts shenanigans?) and a blanket condemnation of guns seems a little inflexible to me
X-Editorial:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Nov 2018, 21:35

Well i’m culturally biased...most of our heroes use guna and almost every week we have some gun incident in our country. So her lack of using guns is zero an issue for me.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 08 Nov 2018, 12:55

Last episode was the weakest but I've been enjoying this run so far, Graham is my favourite companion, but I look forward to see Yas getting some focus next week. As for the 13th's hook, I'm not sure yet but I'm enjoying her, she's enthusiastic, bright, seems more up from with her "new best friends", trusting them to do jobs.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 08 Nov 2018, 14:21

Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 21:35
Well i’m culturally biased...most of our heroes use guna and almost every week we have some gun incident in our country. So her lack of using guns is zero an issue for me.
It's not the lack of using a gun that's the issue (I wouldn't want a Doctor to be a gun-toting lunatic). It's the obviousness of the no guns with the scripting and the outright saying of it that bothers me more. It doesn't need to be spelled out, and spelling it out means that what was a character trait for one Doctor, becomes a common trait and loses it's uniqueness for that one incarnation, if that makes sense.

The Tenth was extremely critical of guns - and for me, that was one of 'his' traits - we know other Doctors have used firearms, so it wasn't a universal thing, so the use of the clunky dialogue with 13 just irks me.
X-Editorial:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 08 Nov 2018, 14:55

Like... let’s get real for a second here. This is meant to be a family show. And it’s British. We generally don’t have guns, or at least not as common place as in the States. It makes perfect sense for none of the doctors to like guns to me. Torchwood made a kind of sense because it’s darker and wasn’t remotely family focused, but Doctor Who is.