Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Doctor Who

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Magik84

Doctor Who

Post by Magik84 » 24 Apr 2011, 13:48

Anyone watch its return last night?

I enjoyed it, the alien guys were suitably creepy and the death at the beginning was an interesting start to the series

I'm glad to see more of River Song and Rory and that Arthur Darvill (Rory) is in the starting credits now. Amy, Rory, The Doctor and River are an enjoyable group and work well together.

I'm looking forward to next week :)

EvilMonkeyPope

Doctor Who

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 24 Apr 2011, 23:29

I saw this a few weeks ago after waiting on line for 12 hours. I got Grand Moff Steven to sign my sonic screwdriver.
The death at the beginning was the only thing I didn't like about this story.

Gibbering Fool

Doctor Who

Post by Gibbering Fool » 30 Apr 2011, 02:48

I really enjoyed this return.  The calibre of the writting has incresed dramatically with Moffat taking over.  Compare this the the premeire episodes of earlier seasons and you'll see that the story for this one is so much more intelligent.  The alien antatogists (if they are antagonists) were way creepy.  Did anyone else catch at the end credits that the aliens are called "The Silent"? I only just rewatched the previous season and that secret room that River and Rory find at the end is way familiar; its exactly teh same as the TARDIS from The Lodger.It was funny  to see Crowley from Supernatural speaking with an American accent.Update: Just watched Episode 2: Day of the MoonSpoilers...Another very cool episode, though all these mysterious make me feel like Moffat has been watching the entire series of Lost.  We get confirmation that these Grey mouthless arliens are "The Silence" though I'm still unclear whetehr the phrase "Silence will fall" from the previous season means these aliens will rule or they will actually fall to something worse.  The way the Doctor and cop keep track of the Silence, first by marking their skin with tallys and then by using recording implants in their hands was very clever, and very creepy.  The scene with Amy in the orphange when hundred of tallys suddenly appear on her skin was very creepy. In fact that whole nursery scene was darker and creepier than anything I've seen on Doctor Who.  We still don't get answers about who the little girl in the space suit is, or what the Silence wanted with her, though we get hints she's amy's daughter.  Speaking of which, the Doctor scans Amy and the Tardis says she's constantly fluctuating between pregnant and not.I really liked the clever way the Doctor dealt with the Silence, though hyptonising the earth into killing the Silence on sight doesn't seem like his style.The biggest surprise of all...the little girl from the space suit shows up at the end, and regenerates like a Time Lord.Mysteries/unanswered questions:1. Who is the Little Girl? My theory is she's Amy and Rory's baby and we're meant to think its Amy and the Doctor's. Maybe the time she's spend in the TARDIS will alter the child, making her part Time Lord, or maybe the Silence did something to her in the days they held her.2. Why did the Silence kidnap Amy? To alter her baby?3. What's going on with Amy's pregnancy?4. Who was the woman with the eyepatch? For a brief few seconds a woman slide a panel back on the door to the child's room, looks at Amy and says "No she's just dreaming" before she and the panel disappear. Mysteries upon mysteries.5. Who kills the future Doctor? If the little girl got out of the sapcesuit, who kills him in 2011?
Gibbering Fool2011-05-02 01:02:55

Spectral Knight

Doctor Who

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 May 2011, 03:47

I still persist that it'll be River who'll kill the Doctor. Their seems to be a massive guilt about her, and I can't help but think she'll be responsible. Would the TARDIS have repercussions on a pregnant woman? It certainly looked like a regeneration sequence at the end. The Silence are very creepy, and thought this second episode was much, much better than the premiere. Really upped the fear factor, and it seems that Moffat's tenure has lead to a far darker tone for the whole series. On the whole, a strong start, and I still oove that Amy and Rory are a couple in love, as well as being companions. The Martha/Rose companions with the romantic undertones was horrid in retrospect.

hotknives

Doctor Who

Post by hotknives » 03 May 2011, 14:03

I agree, it makes it far better to have a platonic relationship between the Doctor and the companion. It's why I thought Donna worked the best out of the Tennant companions.

Loved the opening two parter. Damn scary, and I think that's a good thing. I'm guessing River could be the kid, which would be an interesting twist.

Also, the woman with the eyepatch must have a bigger part- she's played by an actress called Frances Barber, who is brilliant, and I very much doubt would just do a cameo

Majestic

Doctor Who

Post by Majestic » 03 May 2011, 14:16

I'm glad that we have something resembling a group of companions again. It's a good way to make the show feel a little more like classic Who while still striding forward. Wouldn't mind seeing Mark Sheppard (or even his real life dad playing the older version of himself) again; Canton Everett Delaware III is a champ. I'm also glad that Moffat is not letting the fact that, in a way, Rory is actually older than the Doctor just slip by unremarked upon. Arthur Darvill's playing a wonderful character quite well, and I think that lesser writers would still ignore Rory in favor of the more flamboyant characters. Fortunately Moffat is consistently better than that.

On a related note, after watching and loving this episode, my girlfriend and I went to bed. She fell asleep first, and I drew six tally marks on her hand. Upon waking, she was not pleased. Worth it, though. Try it on your Who-watching friends!

EDIT (Spoilers, kind of?): My own personal jury is out on the Doctor's solution to the problem; it seemed awfully violent for him. Maybe he figured that, rather than face an unusual war, the Silents would opt to leave?
Last edited by Majestic on 07 Oct 2014, 15:45, edited 5 times in total.

Gremlin

Doctor Who

Post by Gremlin » 03 May 2011, 14:27

Whilst the two opening episodes were good I was slightly let down in a way and I am not sure how or why. I think it's because they were so heavy and riddled with foreshadowing. My favourite episodes are the one-shots that are full of fighting, intrigue and monsters. Whilst these two episode had all that there was also an unhealthy dose of crazyness and a rats nest of plot points. Don't get me wrong I am looking forward to the rest opf the series and the fallout from these various mysteries but it was just a little to manic for an opener IMO.

EvilMonkeyPope

Doctor Who

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 May 2011, 20:53

I'm so glad we can all speculate together now that BBC and BBCA are in synch!
River is not the girl in the spacesuit. The little girl is Susan.
The 1100 year old Doctor isn't our Doctor but a Sontarran clone, hence the spheroid ship that removed him from the Tower.
River ddn't kill the 11th Doctor at the lake because she would've remembered doing so. I think the hero she kills is Rory (who was very noble in The Big Bang) or the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann did get a suspicious new costume for doing Big Finish audioplays.).

XtremeOne1

Doctor Who

Post by XtremeOne1 » 03 May 2011, 23:43

Well we know she doesn't kill the 11th Doctor because in her appearance in Silence in the Library she mentions how young he (as the 10th Doctor) looks.

I also think the little girl is Susan or maybe Susan's daughter. Still what's with the picture of Amy and the baby? And who was that lady with an eye patch?

And about the episodes, definitely filled with tension and excitement. It was an opener more filled with questions than answers so I'm withholding judgement on it but it was really nice. I was surprised that the Doctor gave a kill order...not exactly the first time he's done that but still..it's always a bit shocking!

I too was happy that Amy and Rory are in love. In fact I was pretty upset that at first it seemed Amy loved the Doctor. First, NOT AGAIN. I love Rose and all, favorite companion(maybe because she was my first companion) but I love Donna Noble too and as a whole, while I like Rose as an independent character more than Donna(by just a smidgen) I like the Doctor/Donna companionship more. So yes was glad that Rory has a stupid face. :-D.

Still not sure how I feel about River Song. She's such a Mary Sue. Dalek's fear her and beg for mercy(seriously...they don't do that for the doctor!) she knows the Tardis better than the Doctor, she can swirl around and kill a bunch of guys without really aiming, she's mysterious and seems to be the doctor's wife. I'm just not a fan. Alex Kingston is great and all but the character is...not...XtremeOne12011-05-03 23:48:19

EvilMonkeyPope

Doctor Who

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 04 May 2011, 03:04

My tolerance for River varries with the story. When River first appeared she was alright. She got a bit obnoxious in series 5. It felt like Moffat was writing for Captain Jack instead of the character from series 4. She's more palatable in these two episodes since she's less narcissitic and the repartee is more even-handed. Maybe this is deliberate to show that her relationship with the Doctor mellows her out by the time she dies? She can pilot the TARDIS better because she was taught by an older Doctor, who is the King of Mary Sues. The Dalek fear was stupid as that honour should be reserved for Ace: http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Ace_asskickery_motivation_by_Wickedfeylady.jpg

Gibbering Fool

Doctor Who

Post by Gibbering Fool » 04 May 2011, 04:25

[QUOTE=XtremeOne1]Still not sure how I feel about River Song. She's such a Mary Sue. Dalek's fear her and beg for mercy(seriously...they don't do that for the doctor!)[/QUOTE]Yeah but that was a special circumstance. It wasn't a fully powered deadly Dalek, it was a barely alive Dalek with no power left to kill River.  Susan being the Doctor's grandaughter from the very begining of the series?  It would be interesting. They revisit old monsters, and even brought Kp and Sarah jane back, why not bring back Susan, or some connection to her.  Nothing's really known about her, is she actually Gallifreyan? Having said that though, I don't think its likely.

EvilMonkeyPope

Doctor Who

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 May 2011, 22:55

The Doctor's Wife by Neil Gaiman was fantastic! I love how Sexy calls the Doctor her Thief. So much great dialogue in this one.

Spectral Knight

Doctor Who

Post by Spectral Knight » 16 May 2011, 07:12

Thought it was a great episode. I thought the title was very misleading though, there was little real romantic connection between the Tardis and the Doctor, beyond calling her 'Sexy'.

EvilMonkeyPope

Doctor Who

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 May 2011, 16:48

They're totally an old married couple of lunatics.

Gibbering Fool

Doctor Who

Post by Gibbering Fool » 18 May 2011, 08:31

This was an enjoyable episode. I felt really moved at the end when "Sexy" became the TARDIS again.Also, there's something about Doctor Who episodes with deep, evil, ominous voices that I just enjoy.  The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit double episode in Season 2 being a primary example.  Interestingly enough that episode had Ood in it too.

Magik84

Doctor Who

Post by Magik84 » 18 May 2011, 13:56

Agreed there was some great dialogue in this episode, also references to the past time lords and the Doctor wanting to be forgiven.

Tardis contacting Rory "the pretty one" was funny. I really like Rory and I'm glad he was given something more productive and helpful to do than last episode's nearly dying again plot.

Great episode all round.

Wolfthomas

Doctor Who

Post by Wolfthomas » 05 Jun 2011, 04:18

Holy crap! New episode.Spoilers:River Song is Cable!

hotknives

Doctor Who

Post by hotknives » 05 Jun 2011, 04:36

Haha, I didn't even think of that. You're absolutely right

Wolfthomas

Doctor Who

Post by Wolfthomas » 05 Jun 2011, 05:06

Well it explains why I like her while everyone else seems to hate her.

Spectral Knight

Doctor Who

Post by Spectral Knight » 06 Jun 2011, 08:43

Did anyone else feel that once Amy's baby was given the name 'Melody' the episode closing 'reveal' was already blown way too early.

XtremeOne1

Doctor Who

Post by XtremeOne1 » 08 Jun 2011, 12:17

That and River saying "Today is my birthday". Sadly the surprise fell a bit flat for me and since I'm not exactly a River Song fan I was a bit bummed by the reveal. Not only is River Song pure awesomeness, now she's a Time Lord AND Amy and Rory's daughter. *Rolls eyes*

Spectral Knight

Doctor Who

Post by Spectral Knight » 09 Jun 2011, 08:53

She's Amy and Rory's daughter desipte neither of them being conceived by Davies prior to her debut...

Spectral Knight2011-06-09 08:53:19

Crutey Anth

Doctor Who

Post by Crutey Anth » 09 Jun 2011, 09:24

Moffat created River Song. He wrote the episode with her in (I'm pretty sure he knew he would be show running then too)

Wolfthomas

Doctor Who

Post by Wolfthomas » 09 Jun 2011, 10:03

I'm actually starting to like River a lot more now, simply because I decided to watch all the episodes which feature her...backwards, when I got to silence in the library it was actually quite sad, the first time it wasn't because I barely knew her. It's kind of a weird meta thing.

Magik84

Doctor Who

Post by Magik84 » 09 Jun 2011, 17:18

I like River Song and guessed who she was before the big reveal, I got the clue of "Melody Pond=Song River" but I actually didn't think about her saying it was her birthday being a clue. That's what I like about this series there's nearly always something you didn't catch on the first time watching