Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Game of Thrones

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
User avatar
Tyler5618
Posts: 2264
Joined: 05 Jul 2007, 15:51
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Tyler5618 » 27 Jun 2016, 18:18

If you had told me back in season 1 that Dany would be able to amass an army that consisted of Dothraki, Unsullied, Greyjoys, Martells, and Tyrells... I would have laughed in your weirwood face!
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

User avatar
medium13
Posts: 967
Joined: 08 Apr 2007, 21:42

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by medium13 » 27 Jun 2016, 18:24

Big fan of this episode here. I wasn't shocked but a lot of what happened, but the events stayed with me into the night. I had trouble sleeping with all the activity. With a few exceptions, this season has been relatively good. The plots are moving and we are seeing the stories draw into a conclusion, whatever that may be. The writers have done a great job streamlining the series while paying homage to the original material. I can only assume that they've done the same this season now that we're in new territory.

This episode is particularly cinematic and the opening scenes of the characters getting ready for the trial was quite beautiful. Later, we see this again with the fade into baby Jon Snow's eyes. I loved the transitions. And lastly, the costuming was magnificent.

I was surprised at the fall of the majority of House Tyrell and the demise of the High Sparrow. What felt like the first few minutes of the episode left my mouth open for the rest. Farewell Natalie Dormer - you made Margaery an astute and gifted player. You will be missed. The silver lining is that the Queen of Thorns can join the alliance between Dorne and Varys to support Daenerys position. Diana Rigg owned this scene. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the fact that the writers didn't need to kill off House Martell to do this. I would have preferred if Doran were shown to be as capable as he is in the books by getting the Sand Snakes under control and joining the cause in his own way as a partner.

Arya's reveal was great. I picked up on this slowly, not realizing it was Arya until moments before she stripped her face. I'm excited for her storyline to continue and wonder where it might go. Meanwhile, I was happy to see Jon and Sansa try to build trust with each other by each acknowledging what much of fandom is disputing about the Battle of the Bastards. Gomurr, my interpretation is that Sansa is so traumatized at her experiences that she's learned not to trust anyone, even her own family. She couldn't be sure that Vale would come to her aid, and probably thought that they would not since the last she saw Littlefinger she said she never wanted to see him again. It was fortuitous they came when they did, and certainly not a guarantee. I don't believe it was built into some other strategy on her part. It is only that despite that these two grew up together, and despite being related by blood, she trusts no one which, as Jon and Brienne points out, could also be a liability. For instance, not telling Jon that Littlefinger provided the information about the Tully army could have put Jon's men at a disadvantage had the information been false. As for the Stark rule in the North, I would have been interested in seeing Sansa named as Queen in the North, but I don't think Sansa has those ambitions anymore. By her own statement in the episode, she spent so much time thinking about what she wanted that she didn't realize what she had. I do believe that the King in the North scene builds some reason for trepidation for the Starks, as Sansa knows that Jon is not politically savvy enough about Westeros, too impetuous, and that Jon's rise to king put a serious roadblock in Littlefiner's grand design to acquire the Iron Throne. What happens now for Bran? I was unclear where Benjen was leaving him. Is he just outside the wall? I loved seeing the rest of the tower of Joy scene and I disagree that we have any clear defensive wounds on Lyanna's hands that disprove an elopement scenario. Frankly, I think she had her hands resting on her bloody sheets. This reveal has been a long time coming, and I'm excited to see more. I was uncertain about Jon's decision to send Melisandre away. I had hoped he would take more time to try and develop an uneasy peace between Melisandre and Davos. What will she do now?

Dany's scenes were great and her naming Tyrion Hand of the Queen brought some emotion for me. Tyrion is so proud of himself to finally be acknowledged. Dany has had so many scenes this season that leave the viewer feeling empowered and filled with anticipation for what she will do next. This, for me, ranks as one of the best (although I think I liked her rebirth through fire better). I wonder where she's sail to first. I can't imagine her doing a full on assault on King's Landing first.

Great season. Excited for more.

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 27 Jun 2016, 19:31

Can't believe I forgot to mention the Tyrion being named Hand scene. That too felt very rewarding for the exact reasons you state.

As for Sansa's secrets - again, I can accept that she didn't trust Jon. I can accept she doesn't trust anyone. But she and Jon had a shared interest. Knowledge of the Vale army's existence could have informed that plans. It only makes sense to withhold it from someone she didn't trust if she fears he'll somehow use that against her, though. Otherwise it's just hampering her own agenda for no reason. I just don't get what she was hiding it for. Unless the argument you're making is she's so pathologically distrustful that she tries not to share any information - in which case her sharing her knowledge about the Tully army seems odd.

Not arguing there were definitive defensive wounds. I've not rewatched it, just got the glimpses they showed us, and I'm not an expert on this kind of thing. But they focused close on her hand twice - once it showed what looked like raw and scraped knuckles, once which showed what looked like a cut across her palm. Those looked like wounds one might get fighting someone, but I might have seen it incorrectly.

Random fan theory this might play into:
Spoiler: show
Might be worth noting the rather out-there theory that the real father want Rheagar, but rather the Mad King, who was known to sire offspring that had troublesome and deadly births. There's a theory that Tyrion might have been the Mad King's too... if the two are Dany's half brothers, that could nicely parallel Aegon the Conqueror's rule with his two sisters... I don't subscribe to this theory, of course, but Martin is weird sometimes.
Last edited by Gomurr the Ancient on 27 Jun 2016, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
medium13
Posts: 967
Joined: 08 Apr 2007, 21:42

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by medium13 » 27 Jun 2016, 20:19

I think her distrust is somewhat pathological but more so a reflection of her own guilt of carrying secrets and operating outside of the Stark code of honor. Sansa's scene with the dogs and Ramsey was so important because it shows us why Sansa has, arguably, been more successful at the game than any other Stark. Sansa did tell Jon about the Tully army, but she didn't tell him that information came from Littlefinger. That omission was more important (to me) than omitting that she had written to the Knights of the Vale. I'd guess that although Jon was happy enough that the Vale showed up for his battle because it saved his life, if Sansa had told him she wanted to rely on Littlefinger, Jon would have refused as he refused her the request to wait and approach more houses.

Littlefinger is not an honorable or trustworthy man and he already betrayed the Starks in Season One. For Sansa to admit to Jon that she has learned from Littlefinger and conspired with Littlefinger, she's admitting that she has abandoned her honor as a Stark as much as she has abandoned praying to the gods. Sansa is carrying around a lot of guilt and internal conflict. She told Cersei of Ned's plan to get her and Arya out of King's Landing, she's married the enemy twice, and she is one of only two people alive who knows that Jon Arryn was poisoned not by the Lannisters but by Littlefinger, and thus caused instability and distrust between the great houses of Westeros.

I hope you are wrong about any wounds you may have seen on Lyanna. I didn't notice them any more than the great deal of blood from her abdomen and I don't care for that fan theory. Plus, I would suspect that any blood on her hands would be from the physical ordeal she went through to give birth and not an attack from 9 months prior.

User avatar
manuel_mc89
Posts: 864
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 03:12

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by manuel_mc89 » 27 Jun 2016, 20:43

Also, i saw this somewhere, that had Sansa told Jon about the deal with the Vale, it might have changed the way he was getting ready for battle, relying in an army that was in no way guaranteed to join them, so she kept it a secret in order for Jon to make his plans with the real resources he had, and not the possible, unlikely help of Little Finger.

At first her not telling Jon seemed idiotic to me, but it makes more sense now given everything you guys have said.

This episode was amazing by the way.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 27 Jun 2016, 21:27

Yeah, there are certainly tactical explanations that could be plausible - but Sansa herself professed to have no knowledge of tactics or battle preparation, which makes sense for her character. I've seen nothing in the show to support that she was making a tactical decision to keep it secret to influence the battle, though it would be a good explanation if they were to actually try to explain it that way.

Medium, I'm liking your guilt-centric explanation, though. You make a good point that in both cases what she hid was her association with Littlefinger. I still don't know that it connects terribly well with not trusting Jon - if she didn't tell him or if she did but he refused to cooperate with Littlefinger, Jon's actions would be the same. But maybe it can be connected in a she didn't trust Jon to... not turn on her or something for associating with Littlefinger. Regardless, identifying that she was specifically trying to hide her ties to Littlefinger brings enough consistency to get behavior to resolve my qualms with the matter. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for the possible defensive wounds - I'm not suggesting, if they're actually there, they are from the night of Jon's conception. I'm saying that if a prince kidnapped a woman and put her in a guarded tower to rape her, as was claimed by the rebels, he probably visited her more than once and, even if not forcing himself on her later in her pregnancy, may have dealt with her lashing out at him (hence the raw knuckles, which could result from punching). I certainly don't want that scenario in that it's obviously horrible, and felt convinced by the books that the 'they actually eloped' theory was legit. Though I'm not sure if it's more or less horrible than the idea that a massive civil war, with all the suffering and death that entailed and with all the suffering and death that are still being caused by its wake, was triggered because Rheagar and Lyanna placed their own passions above their oaths and obligations.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4318
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Jun 2016, 21:57

Gomurr the Ancient wrote: Not arguing there were definitive defensive wounds. I've not rewatched it, just got the glimpses they showed us, and I'm not an expert on this kind of thing. But they focused close on her hand twice - once it showed what looked like raw and scraped knuckles, once which showed what looked like a cut across her palm. Those looked like wounds one might get fighting someone, but I might have seen it incorrectly.
But Gomurr, she would have received any "defensive" wounds 9 months earlier during the conception. They wouldn't have lasted up until now. I think think its probably just scrapemarks from her writhing and lashing around in pain. I don't think it tells us anything about her relationship with the father one way or the other.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 27 Jun 2016, 22:00

Addressed your first point in the last paragraph of my last post. Believe me, I'm fully aware scrapes do not last the better part of a year. Anyways, I'm not even sure I accurately saw injuries, it was a split second per image. It's entirely possible I was mistaken.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
AntiBody
Posts: 2875
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 14:42
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by AntiBody » 27 Jun 2016, 22:42

Such a good episode. And a really good season! I enjoyed all of this tremendously.

A lot has already been said, so my points:

1. RIP Tyrells. That was just so sad. I've loved them for years now. :(

2. GIRLS RUN THE WORLD. So damn excited about that.

3. Even MORE excited at the Dany/Greyjoy/Sand/Tyrell alliance!!!

4. Winter has FINALLY come and Dany is FINALLY moving to Westeros!! These next couple of seasons are going to be SIIICK!

5. I've been listening to "Light Of The Seven," the song from the soundtrack that's heard as everyone's getting ready for the trial. It has that haunting piano. I've been listening to it all damn day. Love it.

6. Cersei, the Mad Queen. I thought she'd accidentally take Tommen down during it all. His suicide was shocking in this weird, indescribable way. Jamie will be none too pleased with her at all.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

User avatar
Rathan
Posts: 368
Joined: 07 Jul 2014, 02:31

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Rathan » 28 Jun 2016, 01:54

Great finale, loved it & so satisfying.

I think Dany will go to Dorne first & that's why Varys is there to prepare for her arrival.
Dragons can swim, so they won't be flying all the way to Westeros. But I bet there must be a raft made for them.
I feel the burn on Daario too, he is one of my fave characters. I'll have to replace him with badar$$ Qyburn in my list if he will not be on the next season. Qyburn vs Varys! Yes please.
I'm always fascinated by Littlefinger & his schemes, but it seems like he lost all his touch. I'm going to remove my bets on him for the Iron Throne & put it on Tyrion. Or I'll put on both, lol.
That baby, then the transition to Jon is my best part & almost got me to tears.

User avatar
WorldWideWade
Posts: 1140
Joined: 04 Mar 2013, 18:49
Location: Texas

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by WorldWideWade » 28 Jun 2016, 13:23

So the "fast travel/teleportation" of the characters has been an annoying yet necessary condensation for the last couple seasons. Varys in this episode was by far the worse however. Jaime arrives within days of the destruction of the Sept to see Cersei crowned. This means that the scene with Olena would have been at least a week from that point most likely and then Varys getting back to Mereen or even meeting the fleet halfway in Volantis (with Martell and Tyrell ships) would have been several more weeks.

The show makes it seem that Varys teleported back to Mereen, however I think the final scene happened nearly a month after the rest of the episode. I will be severely annoyed if Dany shows up like a week after Cersei's rule starts.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 19075
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jun 2016, 13:47

TV shows suck at traveling times lol unless it's a specific plot point. Whether it's New York City or a made-up land, people move wayyy faster than they should.

I bet there's a TV trope for it.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4318
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Jun 2016, 14:32

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:Addressed your first point in the last paragraph of my last post. Believe me, I'm fully aware scrapes do not last the better part of a year. Anyways, I'm not even sure I accurately saw injuries, it was a split second per image. It's entirely possible I was mistaken.
Whops sorry, I didn't mean to go after you for something you addressed already.

I watched the episode again last night and looked just because it was on my mind now. Her hands looked bloodied, but so was like, every other part of her body. I could see where you made that leap in your mind now, but I do think it was just smeared blood from everywhere.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4318
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Jun 2016, 15:00

WorldWideWade wrote:So the "fast travel/teleportation" of the characters has been an annoying yet necessary condensation for the last couple seasons. Varys in this episode was by far the worse however. Jaime arrives within days of the destruction of the Sept to see Cersei crowned. This means that the scene with Olena would have been at least a week from that point most likely and then Varys getting back to Mereen or even meeting the fleet halfway in Volantis (with Martell and Tyrell ships) would have been several more weeks.

The show makes it seem that Varys teleported back to Mereen, however I think the final scene happened nearly a month after the rest of the episode. I will be severely annoyed if Dany shows up like a week after Cersei's rule starts.
I always like to point this out when people get a bit antsy about chronology:

Image

Essentially, they aren't going to let distances get in the way of their storytelling. I guess you just have to assume Varys had really favorable trade winds, and even then like you say, its not like the final scene is happening concurrently with anything else in the episode.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 28 Jun 2016, 15:32

That's discussing the order with which the narrative is presented, not suggesting that the realities of travel and distances should be discarded. I'm not a stickler on the time travel of the books or show, but my understanding is the chronology sticklers object to the lack of change during travel times.

So, for example, Jamie leaves for Riverrun after Tommen's conversion, and returns her during coronation. A quick search indicated to me Riverrun is 750 miles from Kings Landing, and a medieval army could march about 15 miles a day on a road. Even pretending Jamie spent 0 days at Riverrun, he's likely been gone 100 days. That seems like a lot of time for what happened at King's Landing. There's no indication that they were spending months before having Loras and Cersei's trial (and doing so would seem odd) or that the Seven Kingdoms spent months monarchless before Cersei was crowned.

Another example - since the Tyrell's were brought into Dany's faction after the destruction of the Sept, that means that between that scene and whenever Dany's invasion arrives, enough time passed for Lady Olena to learn what happened, travel to Dorne, Dorne and Highgarden fleets to muster and meet with the Targaryen fleet (assuming simply a raven from Olena would be enough to mobilize Highgarden), and then all to arrive wherever they're going. The chronology sticklers seem to fully expect them to show up at King's Landing and it to seem like a week after the coronation, and that's what they find objectionable. And from the showrunners position, they either have to have Dany sailing for a season while an appropriate amount of plot development occurs in Westeros for the time that should pass, or they're just going to ignore travel times. Clearly the latter makes a better show.

I just want the books done, so I'm not worrying about whether Martin literally tracks the timetable so closely he knows the correct phase of the moon like Tolkien did. But the image you posted does not seem to address the concern that is raised.

Also, on closer viewing, I think you're right on the hand injuries. Knuckles looked less damaged that I thought, and the palm seems much more like a blood smear. Hurray for lust leading to decades of disaster!
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4318
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Jun 2016, 17:02

Yeh but what I'm saying (and I think what the page is saying) is that the scene with Jaime at the Twins (pretty sure Walder didn't go all the way to Riverrun?) took place a month or more before Cersei did all her shenanigans at the Sept. Just because it showed up in the show in some chronological order, doesn't mean it happened in real time in that order. Basically, Jaime's whole march out to the Riverlands, seige, and subsequent March back took the same time as Cersei's plot line in King's Landing, but we as viewers are seeing it laid out in a way that makes more narrative sense, rather than chronological sense.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
medium13
Posts: 967
Joined: 08 Apr 2007, 21:42

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by medium13 » 28 Jun 2016, 17:59

I wonder if the show will address what/who will inherit Highgarden now? So many great houses are on the verge or have become extinct.

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 28 Jun 2016, 18:22

Ah, right, forgot Jamie went to the Twins too. He went to Riverrun, then up to the Twins, then back to King's Landing. I assume it's ok that I don't go look up the mileage on all that again, but tacking another 50 days onto that trip seems fair. Plus whatever time was spent at the siege.

What that passage says is that the chapters are not strictly sequential. That's clearly true - if Jamie in his chapter goes to Riverrun, up to the Twins, and back to Kings Landing, and then Arya's chapter has her go from Braavos, to the Twins, and she sees Jamie there, it doesn't mean Jamie has gone back to the Twins just because the chapter comes later. That's all that passage conveys as I understand it.

That doesn't speak to, what I understand to be, the complaint of the travel time sticklers. Their issue is that, when you have fixed dates, the travel time of certain characters, and the logic that events must be spread out over that, causes weird gaps. So, Jamie leaves after Tommen's conversion, comes back at Cersei's coronation. That's a minumum of 150 days, probably more since there was some time at a siege. In that same half a year, Cersei was put on trial, destroyed the Sept, lost Tommen and was crowned Queen. So the question is, was nothing happening all those months? Did they just delay the trial for months on end? That would seem a bit weird, and there's no indication of it. Alternatively, did they schedule the trial fairly promptly, and then there were months where the Seven Kingdoms had no monarch? That could make sense - it might take Cersei a while to consolidate power - but again there's no indication of this, and it seems weird that a major period of uncertainty in the land, and the impressive feat of a woman, alone and unaided, successfully seizing power, would go unmentioned. No one disputes that all of the events of Kings Landing must have taken as long as it took Jamie to travel, just that there seems to be something missing if you actually consider how much time that must have involved.

To WWW's immediate complaint... I don't even want to hazard to guess how long it would take for Olena to learn of what happened, decide to go to Dorne, get to Dorne, get word back to the Reach to mobilize for Dany (or, more likely, go back to the Reach herself and try to leverage respect of her into getting the Reach to mobilize, because who knows whose running it now), for Dorne and the Reach to muster to their coasts, get on their fleets, meet Dany's fleet somewhere, and head to Westeros. But if they show up at Kings Landing, and Jamie and Cersei are just starting to grapple with the fallout of this season, then the question is... did they just table that drama for months until Dany showed up? If actual travel times are compared against progress of characters and relationships, there are likely odd gaps in the show.

This doesn't particularly bother me, because it's a better show to just streamline it, but I don't think it's as easily dismissed as just telling ourselves things just took that long and it therefore must make sense. It probably doesn't all make sense, but the alternative is worse. I may not find it annoying like WWW, but the Note on Chronology doesn't say that Martin isn't going to let the reality of travel times interfere with his story telling, it just specifically explains his chapters are not meant to portray a straight chronological advancement because he's telling the story from multiple perspectives.
Last edited by Gomurr the Ancient on 28 Jun 2016, 18:27, edited 2 times in total.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 28 Jun 2016, 18:25

medium13 wrote:I wonder if the show will address what/who will inherit Highgarden now? So many great houses are on the verge or have become extinct.
I'd guess it'll be unaddressed, since the Tyrell line isn't in jeopardy in the books. Or maybe a throwaway line about how some fool cousin of Mace Tyrell is in charge but just does what Olena says so they can keep her the face of the Tyrells.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
WorldWideWade
Posts: 1140
Joined: 04 Mar 2013, 18:49
Location: Texas

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by WorldWideWade » 28 Jun 2016, 22:00

I wouldn't call myself a time-stickler as I prefer the story to be streamlined as many others. However, I am saying that the weird passage of time is becoming more and more noticeable as the seasons progress. Varys being on the boat with Dany being the most egregious so far.

I understand, that as a scene it is amazing to see every single supporter and army all together without seeing the logistics of them getting all in one place first. However, more and more suspension of disbelief is being forced upon us as the audience in a series that has usually been very good about keeping the details straight and somewhat realistic (for a fantasy series that is). Without some indication that a fair amount of time has passed, it feels very off to have seen Varys in person in Dorne and then in person again on the boat so soon after. They could have very easily just not had him there and it wouldn't have taken people out of the scene.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

User avatar
sixhoursoflucy
Posts: 4535
Joined: 23 Feb 2008, 20:47
Location: The Bronze

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 02 Jul 2016, 16:37

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this perfect Cersei/Frozen mashup yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfpNoHQY3F8

(Obviously includes season finale spoilers.)
"Why am I even listening to you to begin with? You're a virgin who can't drive."

Zefram
Posts: 66
Joined: 01 Aug 2012, 19:05

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Zefram » 06 Jul 2016, 15:50

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:

As for the possible defensive wounds - I'm not suggesting, if they're actually there, they are from the night of Jon's conception. I'm saying that if a prince kidnapped a woman and put her in a guarded tower to rape her, as was claimed by the rebels, he probably visited her more than once and, even if not forcing himself on her later in her pregnancy, may have dealt with her lashing out at him (hence the raw knuckles, which could result from punching). I certainly don't want that scenario in that it's obviously horrible, and felt convinced by the books that the 'they actually eloped' theory was legit. Though I'm not sure if it's more or less horrible than the idea that a massive civil war, with all the suffering and death that entailed and with all the suffering and death that are still being caused by its wake, was triggered because Rheagar and Lyanna placed their own passions above their oaths and obligations.

It doesn't match. Even if Rhaegar fought with her, even if (according to other theories) it might have been Aerys, the Mad King, who raped her, neither one was near her for weeks even months! Rhaegar was dead for at least a month by the time Ned arrived at the Tower, Aerys was murdered at least several weeks ago. Even if she fought with either one of them, all of her surface wounds (like scrapes) would have healed clean by now.

Most likely these were wounds from either her thrashing around during difficult birth, or perhaps she tried to go to Ned as he arrived and the maids forcefully prevented her from getting up. And that if she has wounds on her hands. All I saw was bloody hands but she was all bloody anyway from that botched cesarean. I thought they went to her hands either 1) to bring attention to that gaping wound on her stomach next to which her hands rested or 2) perhaps she was holding something in her hands.
In the books, she was holding dried blue roses as she talked with Ned. The same roses that Rhaegar gave her as token of their love.

User avatar
Gomurr the Ancient
Posts: 587
Joined: 01 May 2014, 22:36

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 06 Jul 2016, 17:06

These are good points, if we assume that the show would accurately adhere to these timelines, or that something like their depiction of Lyanna is adhering word for word to Martin's unpublished writing. It could conceivably be a scenario where Martin informed them that Lyanna was raped, and they chose to add in defensive wounds on their own without considering the timeline, because that's a way to visually convey that information. Regardless, as I said on June 28:
Gomurr the Ancient wrote: Also, on closer viewing, I think you're right on the hand injuries. Knuckles looked less damaged that I thought, and the palm seems much more like a blood smear. Hurray for lust leading to decades of disaster!
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

User avatar
AntiBody
Posts: 2875
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 14:42
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by AntiBody » 23 Jul 2016, 08:14

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/game-of- ... ments.html

I LIVE for when composers talk about creating scores, and Ramin Djawadi does not disappoint here. I found all of his insight here fascinating. And I listen to Light Of The Seven ALL THE TIME.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 5379
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 23 Nov 2016, 21:56

Game of Thrones season six came out on DVD earlier than expected this year, & watching it has been cathartic. It was nice to see so many tertiary characters I thought they’d forgotten about. (I’m still waiting on Nymeria’s triumphant return.) While watching “The Winds of Winter” where winter finally comes to Westeros (do they need to worry about erratic seasons in Essos as well or is it localized to one continent?), it snowed outside! I’m am very excited for next season’s Clash of Queens, even if it’s lopsided against Cersei.

R.I.P. Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey, & Margaery Baratheon nee Tyrell. I’m on Team Cunning Bastards, so I’m honestly heartbroken these social climbers won’t be running Westeros at the end of the tale. They’re so much worthier than the blandly upstanding & guileless Starks!

The worst part of the season was than Jon Snow stopped being dead! The only way I would’ve accepted this was if his mind was permanently warged inside of Ghost’s body. He doesn’t seem to have suffered any drawbacks to his resurrection since he’s ostensibly the Chosen One. It didn’t even get rid of his perpetually confused expression. UGH. Jon Snow is an insipid moron unfit to be Warden of the North! He would’ve gotten all his forces slaughtered at the Battle of the Bastards if it wasn’t for Littlefinger’s army. With all the queens awesomely seizing power, it was disappointing that the North got stuck with this schmuck by default.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... f-thrones/

Post Reply