Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Game of Thrones

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Chazwinski

Game of Thrones

Post by Chazwinski » 18 Apr 2011, 11:00

So did any of the Song of Ice and Fire fans watch the premiere last night? I don't get HBO, but luckily DISH had a promotion with free HBO this weekend so I got to watch. I'm afraid that I'll probably have to wait until the season comes out on DVD to see future episodes, but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about the casting, locations, etc.

I felt the first episode stayed pretty faithful to the book. I'm so glad HBO is doing this instead of someone else.Chazwinski2011-04-18 11:00:33

Phoenixx9

Game of Thrones

Post by Phoenixx9 » 18 Apr 2011, 13:27

Caught it at a friend's house. 

Never heard of this before and thus, never followed the books, so it was all new. 

Didn't know any cast, but they mostly seemed good.  Location looked like what they intended it to be, so that seemed OK too.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:

I did hear one character (outside the premiere) state it wasn't about monsters, but I think there will be a few, as this pilot seems to suggest.  Perhaps he meant that the most monsters are of the human variety?

I did like the armoured face-mask in the shape of the wolf where the upper and lower jaws kept hitting as the the rider traveled on uneven ground.  It looked so real!Phoenixx92011-04-18 13:30:11

Anna Raven

Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Apr 2011, 21:44

I loved it. it really faithfully followed the books. The cast all fit what I had in my imagination very well, except Tyrion who is the handsomest little person they could find, but that's a quibble. A very good start.

Apparently the New York Times reviewer didn't like it much though; she called it Boy Fiction and complained there was nothing redeeming about it for women because women don't like The Hobbit. I was taken aback by this as I had a party at my house and the ladies there all seemed to love it. Any thoughts on this from the peanut gallery? Does she have a point, considering a lot if the women in this first episode were shown in rather *ahem* degrading positions? Or is she just rebelling against the fantasy genre for no good reason?

XtremeOne1

Game of Thrones

Post by XtremeOne1 » 18 Apr 2011, 22:04

I'm not sure if she just saw the first episode but as the series progresses you really see that the female characters are among the strongest of the group! I read what she wrote and it really seemed to me she just hated the fantasy genre. She didn't bash the show, she bashed the book and it's fans. She probably thinks just as low of comics as "fan boy fiction"

I loved it. It was so well done, the sets were amazing, great acting, and of course the story. Yeah it might seem like a slow start since they had to introduce so many characters(unless the Dany parts do drag down the story even though her tale does get better, it is so disconnected! But that was a book problem too...) but really everyone needs to stick with it. It's soooo good.

And I'm fine with Tyrion not being hideous as most reviews say Dinklage is the stand-out. Honestly I'm a bit more bothered by Bran looking more like a Stark than a Tully(as that's part of the reason why Arya and Jon are close) BUT the young actor was VERY good, so that tiny minor little problem was quickly forgotten.

EvilMonkeyPope

Game of Thrones

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 25 Apr 2011, 00:46

I saw it in a hotel and liked it very much. I too will have to wait until it comes to DVD to find out what transpires.
I was a bit disappointed that the opening titles had clockwork cities which do no appear in the show.
The opening beyond the wall was spooky. I hope there's more to the Whitewalkers than being analogous to the Gendels from Eaters of the Dead.
The Lannisters are charming.
Dire wolf puppies are cute.

Anna Raven

Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Apr 2011, 01:06

The second episode did not disappoint. The actor playing Tyrion has totally grown on me already. The banter between himself and Snow was spot on. I am convinced.

Good news also, as it's already been renewed for a Second Season! Woohoo!

dasaten

Game of Thrones

Post by dasaten » 03 May 2011, 17:25

Never read the books, but I've always meant to. Now I don't have to, yay! :) This show is sooooo great. I'm completely hooked. I love Arya, she's so hardcore. I'm sure she'll be whooping some serious ass as the story goes on, and I can't wait. I wonder though, since each season will be one novel and time seems to be moving pretty quickly (already months gone by in two episodes), will they have new actors to replace the children's characters when they become adults.

Anybody else think of Emma whenever they see Lena Headly as the queen?

Anna Raven

Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Jun 2011, 21:19

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter on this all season! What did everyone think of the finale?

XtremeOne1

Game of Thrones

Post by XtremeOne1 » 22 Jun 2011, 00:21

Love this show, love the book. The show did just about everything right. Sure the sexposition scenes got a bit much, I mean everytime Ros was on the scene you need it would be one of the show's lesser moments but beyond that? WOW

Emilia Clarke was amazing as Dany. I'm not even a huge DAny fan in the books but Emilia really brought the character alive. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion was fantastic, the actress who played Arya PERFECT, and the actor who played Bran phenomenal. Sophie Turner also knocked it out of the park the last few episodes. Sansa was written to be liked but towards the end when we are supposed to feel sympathy for the girl, we did. Her look at Joffery in the last episode was something fierce. Michelle Fairley as Catelynn was also great. There was some fanboy controversy over her not being young/pretty enough for Catelynn but I think she showed them wrong. She did so much with just a look. Richard Madden also did a great job as Robb, coming from nowhere to have some fantastic scenes. The guy playing Jamie(his name is way too hard to spell) totally got the character and I think Lena Headey actually IMPROVED on Ceresei's character, making her sympathetic but still a horrible human being.

So yeah basically I loved the show.

EvilMonkeyPope

Game of Thrones

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 24 Jun 2011, 22:32

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/24/xmen-game-thrones/

Providence

Game of Thrones

Post by Providence » 24 Jun 2011, 23:12

HBO did a phenomenal job with this show. It has become my all-time favorite, bringing True Blood (also by HBO) to #2. All the characters and everything are amazing. The actors were all spot-on. It's made me want to read the books. They're sold out everywhere where I'm living so I had to have the book ordered.

sixhoursoflucy

Game of Thrones

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 08 Jul 2011, 21:53

Although initially underwhelmed by the show, I loved it by the second episode. They did a great job of capturing the essence and most of the relevant events from the dense novel. I can't think of anything major they omitted. On that note, I thought the twist they pulled on Renly and Floras was... surprising... but it made sense with both of the characters. I'm interested in seeing what else they do it with. The performances were top-notch as well. Lena Headey threw me off initially with the way she portrayed Cersei, but her acting style quickly grew on me (I take back what I said earlier, actually -- the show left out my favorite line from the book, when Cersei confesses she only feels complete with Jaime inside of her). I wish this actress had played Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class. The other performance that blew me away was Emilia Clarke as Danaerys Targaryen. Dani is easily my least favorite protagonist in the books but Clarke's performance lent a lot of depth and ferocity to the character that hadn't before sensed. In fact, her performance makes me want to re-read the entire series just to see what else I was missing. Her final scenes in the series were absolutely divine -- I loved her stoic delivery of the death sentence during the pyre scene. Anyway, this was an amazing show overall, and it just cracks me up how EVERYONE is talking about A Game of Thrones now. I can't wait until A Clash of Kings.

Chazwinski

Game of Thrones

Post by Chazwinski » 08 Jul 2011, 23:10

[QUOTE=sixhoursoflucy] Although initially underwhelmed by the show, I loved it by the second episode. They did a great job of capturing the essence and most of the relevant events from the dense novel. I can't think of anything major they omitted. On that note, I thought the twist they pulled on Renly and Floras was... surprising... but it made sense with both of the characters. I'm interested in seeing what else they do it with. The performances were top-notch as well. Lena Headey threw me off initially with the way she portrayed Cersei, but her acting style quickly grew on me (I take back what I said earlier, actually -- the show left out my favorite line from the book, when Cersei confesses she only feels complete with Jaime inside of her). I wish this actress had played Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class. The other performance that blew me away was Emilia Clarke as Danaerys Targaryen. Dani is easily my least favorite protagonist in the books but Clarke's performance lent a lot of depth and ferocity to the character that hadn't before sensed. In fact, her performance makes me want to re-read the entire series just to see what else I was missing. Her final scenes in the series were absolutely divine -- I loved her stoic delivery of the death sentence during the pyre scene. Anyway, this was an amazing show overall, and it just cracks me up how EVERYONE is talking about A Game of Thrones now. I can't wait until A Clash of Kings. [/QUOTE]

Can't wait until this comes out on DVD so I can see the whole series (I was only able to catch one episode)... and yes, Six! Join me on the side of Dany-lovers. She's easily my second favorite character (Tyrion being my fave) and that says a lot, considering I like sooo many of them.

sixhoursoflucy

Game of Thrones

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 08 Jul 2011, 23:24

[QUOTE=Chazwinski]Can't wait until this comes out on DVD so I can see the whole series (I was only able to catch one episode)... and yes, Six! Join me on the side of Dany-lovers. She's easily my second favorite character (Tyrion being my fave) and that says a lot, considering I like sooo many of them. [/QUOTE]Aw, that makes me sad that you of all people missed out on the initial airing, considering you were the one who encouraged me to trudge through A Clash of Kings. Anyway, I don't know which of the Lannisters are my favorite, as the unapologetic depravity of both Cersei and Jaime grants them both a special place in my heart.
sixhoursoflucy2011-07-08 23:24:27

Chazwinski

Game of Thrones

Post by Chazwinski » 08 Jul 2011, 23:25

Oh believe me, I love those two as well! LOL

EvilMonkeyPope

Game of Thrones

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 24 Mar 2012, 04:02

I have finally seen the entire first series on DVD and found it very enjoyable. I guess I'll have to start the novels to pass away the year until I can see series 2.

Milkshake08

Game of Thrones

Post by Milkshake08 » 25 Mar 2012, 02:48

Almost through season 1....I'm so happy this ended up becoming popular. I want to get HBO just to watch season 2 (ok, and to watch True Blood). Dany is definitely my favorite on the show (I haven't read the novels, but own all of them; I don't like reading series until they are completed...it's a thing...like I've never started Wheel of Time, and I didn't read Harry Potter, Twilight BLECH or Hunger Games til they were all out). The actress, as six said, lends a ferocity to the character...plus I love how the first episode made me hate her for being weak and pathetic and silent, and then she became ambitious, powerful, ethereal, and commanding. Her character growth in the first season is amazing.
Also love Tyrion, Cersei (two other great performers), Robb because he's the only cute guy, and Aureia (is that how you spell it? She's so cute!). They really make you hate Goffery, though. Poor kid (the actor, I mean). Do more mystical elements get added in throughout the novels? I love it, but I will say I was expecting more fantasy, despite it being centered on a war for the crown of an imaginary realm.

EvilMonkeyPope

Game of Thrones

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 25 Mar 2012, 17:10

I've been hearing a lot more magic comes into play later. Downplaying the magic was the main reason I didn't start the books before. Had they told me up front there'd be all sort of magic on top of the excellent characterization & plots I would've gobbled it up.
Instead of getting HBO, just watch the episodes through Netflix Instant or wait a year for the DVD set (I wish they were more punctual).'

XtremeOne1

Game of Thrones

Post by XtremeOne1 » 25 Mar 2012, 19:58

The downplay of magic in book 1 and the reemergence of magic in later books is all part of the plot.

EvilMonkeyPope

Game of Thrones

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 25 Mar 2012, 20:16

True, but downplaying fantasy in a fantasy series doesn't make me want to read them. I could already get all my non-fantasy court intrigue from historical fiction. It also seemed counterintuitive since A Song of Fire & Ice sounds like the cheesiest name for a fantasy series. Having seen the first season, I'm upset at the marketing & word of mouth because there actually is plenty of interesting magic going on. I would've never watched the show in the first place had I not been in a hotel with HBO & no BBCA the night of the premiere. The first episode even puts the magic in its opening sequence!

Anna Raven

Game of Thrones

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Mar 2012, 22:27

@Milkshake: If you have AT&T Uverse you can probably get a deal where you get free HBO. That's what I've done. Just call up and tell the salesperson, "what kind of special deals can you give me? Anything with free HBO?"

I think downplaying the magic now helps to make it more mysterious and awesome when it does show up. When you have fireballs exploding left and right, it just gets lost and becomes part of the backdrop. When you go no magic, no magic, no magic and then suddenly there's MAGIC! Well it tends to knock your socks off.

EvilMonkeyPope

Game of Thrones

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Mar 2012, 00:33

I've got no problem with the writing and its use of magic. I was complaining about how the series was inaccurately presented. The impression I was given was that there were no fantastical elements in the series except really long seasons. This is obviously not true.

Milkshake08

Game of Thrones

Post by Milkshake08 » 26 Mar 2012, 00:48

Yay magic then!

I went from having HBO for five years to not having it these past few months...we've got Netflix and Hulu instead, but I may rethink that...

Blackcyclops

Game of Thrones

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Mar 2012, 01:28

There is always Amazon Prime. Its how i watched it. Fast and relatively cheap.

medium13

Game of Thrones

Post by medium13 » 26 Mar 2012, 11:51

I just watched in on Amazon too and I thought it was great. I'm totally in love with the books right now. I think it's really well done and most of the casting choices are excellent. I was actually sad to see Viserys crowned, because I was enjoying his performance.

I was suprised by the age of the actor they chose for Rickon.

I also love the actress who plays Cersei, but she always has this look on her face like she just ate something sour.  I don't mean to say that she gave a bad performance, or that Cersei shouldn't have that look about her, just that I found it distracting and made it difficult for me to grasp what she was relaying to me.