Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Direct your X-Men

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
courier

Direct your X-Men

Post by courier » 14 Feb 2011, 13:56

It seems many of us are unhappy with the big screen portrayals of our beloved heroes (and villains). Personally X3 and Wolverine Origins did not live up to expectations. Ofcourse maybe you loved Wovlerine Origins, but I'm sure you aren't a fan of the made for TV Generation X movie.

So lets say Fox just decided to revamp their X-Men Franchise, and they hired you to choose what direction to go in. What would be your ideal X-Men movie? Or would you create some kind of TV franchise? What mutants do you include on your roster? Villains? Story line?

Chazwinski

Direct your X-Men

Post by Chazwinski » 14 Feb 2011, 14:58

I don't see why it HAS to be live-action. I personally would like to do a feature length film of the Dark Phoenix Saga. It would be computer-animated (With today's technology this could look really good) and extremely faithful to the source material. No need to change the costumes and no need to change the line-up or continuity. Let the masses be introduced to one of the greatest stories in comic history without interference from Hollywood "modernizing" it or actors' interpretations of the characters. The follow-up animated film could be the Days of Future Past storyline or even the Mutant Massacre.

courier

Direct your X-Men

Post by courier » 14 Feb 2011, 15:20

I would revamp the entire franchise with a new movie.

-----------Characters-----------

Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, and Iceman are the 5 original X-Men. In the movie they would all be in their mid to late 20s. Cyclops and Jean would be constantly flirting with each other.

Beast - would be blue and like Donatello from the first Ninja Turtles movie.

Iceman - Would be much more layed back like Flash from Justice League, and

Angel - similar to Tony Stark.

Cyclops - officially field leader, but Jean does most of the leading.

Jean - Does NOT give off some sort of orgasmic scream and never faints throughout the entire movie. Shown to be powerful, but also very responsible.

Other X-Men:

Storm - Quiet power house of the team. She tends to rarely speak, but when she does everyone listens to her. Struggles with control over her emotion/powers. Professor is shown helping her.

Colossus - Rescued from mob in Russia by Magneto. After experiencing Magneto's hatred to humanity he turns to Xavier's side. Learning to adapt to America culture.

Wolverine - Just a middle age guy, who is angtsy, drinks a lot of beer, smokes a lot of cigars.

Rogue - Out spoken and nearly uncontrollable member of the team. power absorption ability only. Still can't be touched.

Gambit - Can't control his ability. Only there because Professor is helping him. Doesn't tell truth to his team mates.

Shadowcat - Youngest member. Genuis intellect. British sense of humor, takes things pretty seriously. Sucks at fighting so Wolverine trains her in some samurai moves.

Prof. X - World knows him as expert on mutation, he has personally tracked down and trained all of the existing X-Men because they needed his help. Carries a large burden.

-----------Plot-----------

Magneto appears to be the primary villain. The X-Men face off against him and his acolytes (villain lineup) during the movie. Magneto clearly doesn't mind killing humans.

The real villain ends up being prejudice. The X-Men are forced to go up against humans that have no super powers after they are outed to the public. X-men are deployed to try and calm the riots and rescue mutants who are being attacked (lots of opportunity for cameos and"new mutants"). During the riots one of the teenage rioters mutant X-Gene is activated.

Emma Frost is shown to be opening up a privately sponsored "school" for mutants. After investigation it is revealed there is some shady business going on behind the scenes. X-men stop a terrorist attack from destroying a bus of students. (lots of opportunities for "new mutants").

In the end Prof. X reveals himself to the public as a mutant, and opens up his school for enrollment, with the X-Men taking on teaching and heroic duties.

* The core X-Men would not need much of an introduction. Focus would be given to the "New Mutants."

------

Its a lot for one movie, but it sets the tone for the franchise. If enough youngsters enjoy the "new mutant" portion of the movie, a Smallville like TV show could be created featuring many of the younger mutants enrolling at Xavier's institute.

Possible sequels involve

* Mystique leading the Brotherhood into petty crimes and terrorism after Magneto is arrested.

* Mr. Sinister being a huge fan of Prof. X's genetic research, and he ends up modifying his own genetic code.

* Students rebel against the X-Men after they develop prejudice against human terrorist who keep trying to kill them all.

courier2011-02-14 15:30:11

courier

Direct your X-Men

Post by courier » 14 Feb 2011, 15:22

[QUOTE=Chazwinski] I don't see why it HAS to be live-action. I personally would like to do a feature length film of the Dark Phoenix Saga. It would be computer-animated (With today's technology this could look really good) and extremely faithful to the source material. No need to change the costumes and no need to change the line-up or continuity. Let the masses be introduced to one of the greatest stories in comic history without interference from Hollywood "modernizing" it or actors' interpretations of the characters. The follow-up animated film could be the Days of Future Past storyline or even the Mutant Massacre.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. If they want to recreate the story lines from the comics it NEEDS to be animated. Either CGI ala Avatar, or an actual animated movie.

XtremeOne1

Direct your X-Men

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Feb 2011, 20:38

I wouldn't mind an Origins story for Magneto and Xavier. Nice and simple. Magneto in the Holocaust, Magneto living a normal life with Magda until her death, intercutting with scenes of Xavier growing up and his powers emerging. Cut to years later, the two met and so the story really begins.

Shadow King will be the bad guy, maybe he'll have some control over some important human character. Heck you can even have the Hellfire in it with the Shadow King possessing someone as he poses as Lord Imperial. Either way they're manipulating a human for some reason(I've had a long day, don't have to really go into the plot).

Anyway as this happens we really focus in on the characters of Magneto and Charles, they are who this movie is about. You can have supporting characters in Moira, maybe even Amelia Vought. Mystique should also play a part, along with Destiny(who I think is perfect for this film). That's really it on the mutant front(especially if the HFC is in it, which I'm iffy). I guess you should add Banshee and Vanisher in it to have more mutants. If more mutants are really needed you can always just pick from the bottom of the pool and have bad guy mutants for one or two scenes who get their collective asses kick. They aren't important characters, ones who actually matter to the x-universe being made into something they are not, just characters who've appeared as bad guys and not much else.

No matter, though the supporting characters get attention(especially Moira in her relationship with Charles, and her relationship with Magneto in terms of human/mutant) the film should focus on the two characters. And in no way would Magneto be the cool one while Charles is the stiff who says "No, Erik, don't...".

The film isn't about the X-Men or the first class of X-Men, it isn't about saving the world from an Apocalypse. It's about the friendship and the eventual downfall of a friendship. Nothing complicated. Both characters are interesting enough for that to make a very great character-action movie.

It doesn't step on toes, it doesn't screw with continuity, it doesn't stuff a bunch of plots into one movie. It's one plot with two characters and a support casting which revolves around those characters.XtremeOne12011-02-15 01:07:26

Blackcyclops

Direct your X-Men

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Feb 2011, 23:11

Nice idea Xtreme...

While I wouldn't mind an animated version of the X-Man stories, I like alternate takes on things and wouldn't mind a different take on the X-Men. So I can vibe with Xtreme's...

das_boot

Direct your X-Men

Post by das_boot » 14 Feb 2011, 23:15

I don't think I'd have a reboot, First Class style, I think I'd carry it on from the first trilogy in the form of a TV series and offer it up to someone who can write a good ensemble cast, like Joss Whedon or Rob Thomas as being the principal writers. Recast Storm, see if Kelsey Grammar will do Beast, keep Shawn Ashmore as Iceman, but have him evolve into a funny character, more true to the comics, perhaps even as a defence mechanism for him having been one of the junior classmen and now being one of the senior X-Men, and Daniel Cudmore as Colossus, if he's available. If not, Colossus might be a character that can be missing too, maybe back with his family in Russia. Wolverine is AWAY all the time, because there's no escaping that Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine now, and he'd probably never sign up for a TV series. Jean and Scott and the Professor are dead, and there'd probably need to be a recast for Shadowcat if she was going to be in it too. Add to those three/four a mix of the New Mutants, Generation X and the New New Mutants, and I'd probably go with a team along the lines of; Storm, Beast, Iceman, Shadowcat, Moonstar, Sunspot, Elixir, Jubilee, Hellion. I would have them following the whole 'Monster/Mutant of the week' formula, a la Smallville for a while, play up the teen drama for the younger members and maybe have a season finale of the team versus the Hellions/Hellfire club. Obviously, they'd eventually win, but as the end of season shock, I'd have them return to the mansion to find that the graves of Jean and Cyclops have been unearthed and their bodies missing, with the second season opener ending with a red-haired girl being addressed as Rachel, and stumbling out of some kind of clone-making device... and have the appearance of Sinister.  

courier

Direct your X-Men

Post by courier » 15 Feb 2011, 14:19

[QUOTE=das_boot] I don't think I'd have a reboot, First Class style, I think I'd carry it on from the first trilogy in the form of a TV series and offer it up to someone who can write a good ensemble cast, like Joss Whedon or Rob Thomas as being the principal writers. Recast Storm, see if Kelsey Grammar will do Beast, keep Shawn Ashmore as Iceman, but have him evolve into a funny character, more true to the comics, perhaps even as a defence mechanism for him having been one of the junior classmen and now being one of the senior X-Men, and Daniel Cudmore as Colossus, if he's available. If not, Colossus might be a character that can be missing too, maybe back with his family in Russia. Wolverine is AWAY all the time, because there's no escaping that Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine now, and he'd probably never sign up for a TV series. Jean and Scott and the Professor are dead, and there'd probably need to be a recast for Shadowcat if she was going to be in it too. Add to those three/four a mix of the New Mutants, Generation X and the New New Mutants, and I'd probably go with a team along the lines of; Storm, Beast, Iceman, Shadowcat, Moonstar, Sunspot, Elixir, Jubilee, Hellion. I would have them following the whole 'Monster/Mutant of the week' formula, a la Smallville for a while, play up the teen drama for the younger members and maybe have a season finale of the team versus the Hellions/Hellfire club. Obviously, they'd eventually win, but as the end of season shock, I'd have them return to the mansion to find that the graves of Jean and Cyclops have been unearthed and their bodies missing, with the second season opener ending with a red-haired girl being addressed as Rachel, and stumbling out of some kind of clone-making device... and have the appearance of Sinister.  

[/QUOTE]

I want to watch it now.

Monster of the Week for a few seasons would work out well in the mutant world. Smallville basically created mutants so they could do Monster of the Week.

Hard part with a TV series is the special effects. But since the original trilogy is grounded in reality, you wont need to show over the top powers every scene.

XtremeOne1

Direct your X-Men

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Feb 2011, 14:33

[QUOTE=das_boot] I don't think I'd have a reboot, First Class style, I think I'd carry it on from the first trilogy in the form of a TV series and offer it up to someone who can write a good ensemble cast, like Joss Whedon or Rob Thomas as being the principal writers. Recast Storm, see if Kelsey Grammar will do Beast, keep Shawn Ashmore as Iceman, but have him evolve into a funny character, more true to the comics, perhaps even as a defence mechanism for him having been one of the junior classmen and now being one of the senior X-Men, and Daniel Cudmore as Colossus, if he's available. If not, Colossus might be a character that can be missing too, maybe back with his family in Russia. Wolverine is AWAY all the time, because there's no escaping that Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine now, and he'd probably never sign up for a TV series. Jean and Scott and the Professor are dead, and there'd probably need to be a recast for Shadowcat if she was going to be in it too. Add to those three/four a mix of the New Mutants, Generation X and the New New Mutants, and I'd probably go with a team along the lines of; Storm, Beast, Iceman, Shadowcat, Moonstar, Sunspot, Elixir, Jubilee, Hellion. I would have them following the whole 'Monster/Mutant of the week' formula, a la Smallville for a while, play up the teen drama for the younger members and maybe have a season finale of the team versus the Hellions/Hellfire club. Obviously, they'd eventually win, but as the end of season shock, I'd have them return to the mansion to find that the graves of Jean and Cyclops have been unearthed and their bodies missing, with the second season opener ending with a red-haired girl being addressed as Rachel, and stumbling out of some kind of clone-making device... and have the appearance of Sinister.  

[/QUOTE]

Pfft, I don't want this. Give me Xtreme X-Men: The New Class The TV Show(Long Title!) instead :D.

(For those who don't know, that's Booty's fan fiction series)

QDLux29

Direct your X-Men

Post by QDLux29 » 15 Feb 2011, 22:50

With Booty's idea, I would however think that possibly the addition of X-23 would be good for the following reasons: 1) she has a pretty good fan following, 2) she adds a "Wolverine"-like element which fans will want without needing Wolverine, 3) I like the Hellion/X-23 match and 4) who doesn't like a clone/x-hooker/emotional cutter?

das_boot

Direct your X-Men

Post by das_boot » 15 Feb 2011, 23:00

I would of COURSE swap out Shadowcat for X-23. 

Blackcyclops

Direct your X-Men

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Feb 2011, 23:19

As long as Storm is recast I'm happy...

das_boot

Direct your X-Men

Post by das_boot » 15 Feb 2011, 23:23

Totally. No offence to Halle (well, at least not in this respect), but I always felt her skin tone was too light to play Storm. Someone like Iman would have been perfect. I just think that for the visual of Storm having white hair, they should have cast a far darker-skinned actress to play her, because it didn't look as shocking, it just kind of looked like a bad dye job. 

QDLux29

Direct your X-Men

Post by QDLux29 » 15 Feb 2011, 23:42

or a bad wig.....

And though I'll miss the Rogue/Iceman/Shadowcat love-triangle, I'll be happy with X-23

EvilMonkeyPope

Direct your X-Men

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 Feb 2011, 11:15

Can it be a quaint British season of no more than 13 episodes so each has decent effects and reduces filler?

Michiru

Direct your X-Men

Post by Michiru » 16 Feb 2011, 17:40

I'd love a prologue movie following two stories, one at the school with Xavier/Mags and one with Scott up in Alaska, showing us who he is:Xavier and Magneto are friends, but their friendship is strained under the weight of their differing ideologies. Meanwhile, Jean arrives and Xavier begins to help her with her telepathy.Up in Alaska, Scott is being terrorized by Mr. Sinister. His struggles to stay sane, escape, etc, make up his part of the story; maybe we can see his leaping from Corsair's plane in a parachute in flashback.Xavier and Jean adopt Scott away. No big battle; instead, leave him for the second movie, where the original team will be together and Sinister can be the big bad. This time, instead, it's the three of them--and Moira, we need Moira--up against Magneto who decides it's time to take things into his own hands.Then, after beating Magneto, Xavier decides he must form the X-Men.This'll give Scott the character he lacked in the movies, start Scott and Jean's romance without forcing anything, and show the split with Xavier and Mags with plenty of action.

Cable

Direct your X-Men

Post by Cable » 16 Feb 2011, 18:13

[QUOTE=das_boot]. Jean and Scott and the Professor are dead 
[/QUOTE]Why change the movie to make Scott dead? Pet peeve of mine, I've had very big fights with friends over Cyclops in X3 where no scene ever shows him dying and Phoenix never says she kills him. (Professor X isnt dead either for that matter according to the epilogue)While an animated major motion picture would be amazing, it would sell 15 tickets. Americans won't go see an animated movie that isn't a comedy.Cable2011-02-16 18:13:31

das_boot

Direct your X-Men

Post by das_boot » 16 Feb 2011, 23:14

[QUOTE=EvilMonkeyPope]Can it be a quaint British season of no more than 13 episodes so each has decent effects and reduces filler?[/QUOTE]Only if I have the full-on atrocious extras and bit-part players that star in Doctor Who. You know, the ones who give expository dialogue whilst being mutilated by MOTW?

EvilMonkeyPope

Direct your X-Men

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 17 Feb 2011, 09:52

This term is accepted.