Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Awesome TV Shows: Sitcom Edition

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Jan 2011, 20:09

We don't talk enough about the stuff we like in this section (i blame X-Men First Class LOL), so I ask the question whats your favorite tv sitcoms? Why do you like them? Chime in...help suggest great shows to your fellow posters...

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Jan 2011, 21:02

Modern Family, Community, Psych, and Raising Hope are the best sitcoms on television. The Middle is also very good for a sort of traditional family sitcom.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Jan 2011, 21:41

Raising Hope is good? I trust you when it comes to TV Xtreme,so I might have to check it out now.

I just got into the Community...wow,just wow...

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Jan 2011, 23:48

I didn't expect to like Raising Hope when I watched it. It was from the guy who did My Name Is Earl but I think it's one of the best new shows of the fall. It's got a crazy side but it has a tremendous amount of heart and terrific acting.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2011, 00:26

See thats what sells me on sitcoms...I mean I'm not expecting Arthouse film acting, I expect the characters to either be really easy to relate to or be such oddballs that they stick out...

On the Community Trey and Ahmed, are just hilarious characters. I mean they are pretty much over-blown stereotypes (man-child and socially inept guy) but they have a hard and are played so well that you have to love them...Man I love the Community LOL

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jan 2011, 00:32

[QUOTE=Blackcyclops] See thats what sells me on sitcoms...I mean I'm not expecting Arthouse film acting, I expect the characters to either be really easy to relate to or be such oddballs that they stick out...

On the Community Trey and Ahmed, are just hilarious characters. I mean they are pretty much over-blown stereotypes (man-child and socially inept guy) but they have a hard and are played so well that you have to love them...Man I love the Community LOL[/QUOTE]

It's funny, they are such oddballs that they stick out but they are also so strangely relatable. I mean no one is really like them but you still just relate too them.

"Troy and Ahbed in the moooorning"

Troy and Ahbed are great but the whole cast is too. I have the DVD and there are commentaries on every episode. They're great fun. And Donald Glover does the best Tracey Jordan impressions(he was actually a writer on 30 Rock). Also on the Donald Glover front, in the outtakes really, it shows he's done some terrific ad libbing.

And of course Joel McHale could do no wrong.

Plus Britta and Annie are hot. And I love when ever Annie's Boobs pops up(I'm talking about the monkey of course..)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2011, 01:01

Joel McHale is genius on this show...and let's not forget Chevy Chase. I never thought I'd be remarking on how funny Chevy Chase still is in 2011 LOL...

Yes Britta and Annie are gorgeous. Annie totally plays to my lil crush on raven haired good girls LOL...

Modern Family is another good one. Yes I know Sophia Vegara makes everyone, male/female/straight/gay/plant get hot...but her comedic timing is excellent...Man I love Modern Family too LOL

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jan 2011, 01:03

Gloria in last week's episode(the one with Cyke) was amazing.

Gloria: Oh no Jay, he's gonna get grabbed!

and

Gloria: Don't grab me, don't grab me!

when Claire takes her bike. Both had me dying. And this week with Mitchell and the "little slugger"

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 15 Jan 2011, 02:23

Modern Family is the only good sitcom right now. At least traditional sitcom. I love Chuck though.

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 15 Jan 2011, 02:31

Ah sitcoms. I'm very happy that I happened to catch the Paintball episode of Community in rerun this summer and decided to tune in for the second season. I need to get out and find the first season for sure one of these days. The stop motion animated Holiday special was awesome. Funny, but had a heart. That is one thing that I love about certain sitcoms like BC said. They have heart and feel real. Sure I watch them to laugh but I don't need to laugh for a full half hour/hour every time I watch them. Seeing them be real people with real lives and pains and losses and gains fullfills so much more. Just like I was in a minority that didn't hate the most recent How I Met Your Mother, a show that I love with a passion, because it got serious at the end. Life is serious sometimes, and hell it makes the comedy so much more powerful when the laughs stop for a glimpse at real life.

I never knew who Donald Glover was before, but hell I'd watch him in a Spider-Man movie. To hell with it not fitting established comics! And Joel McHale...I watch the Soup every Friday...nuff said.

Sitcom wise these days I'm down to just How I Met Your Mother, Community, Big Bang Theory, and yes...I know that a lot out there hate it but I like it for some reason lol....Two and a Half Men. I watched the first episode of Raising Hope but then I forgot that it was on and never tuned back in. It was entertaining that first episode. Though sticking through to watch that Running Wilde crap sort of helped me forget that was on I think.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jan 2011, 02:35

[QUOTE=Milkshake08] Modern Family is the only good sitcom right now. At least traditional sitcom. I love Chuck though.[/QUOTE]

Chuck! See I don't count Chuck as a sitcom, so I didn't mention it but I love Chuck, which should be known around these parts by now :-p.

And I like Donald Glover tons but I wouldn't watch him in a Spider-Man movie. He isn't Peter Parker at all. Plus he handles drama okay, but not good enough too have a whole movie on his shoulder.

He should have been the Green Hornet :-p.

XtremeOne12011-01-15 02:38:08

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2011, 02:43

Hmmm...actually I wouldn't mind seeing Donald Glover (if he beefed up alittle bit) as a young T'CHalla...finally a Black Panther with personality LOL...

I have to agree Uncanny, comedy has to be tempered with somberness. The best episodes of Scrubs (seasons 1-5/6) are the ones that mix that realism of life and the over the top humor of the sitcom...

I want to try and opportunity to recommend some older shows, maybe they were before your (or my time) or they might have seem too different but I say give them a try: A Different World and Living Single.

They are floating around the web (and on some Cable channels like TVone). A Different World is a Cosby Show spin-off taking place at a historically black college. Its like Friends if they were all black, in college, and hung with the Fresh Prince LOL...its one of my favorite shows growing up and really instilled in me this image of college (which my university was nothing like LOL)...really funny show.

Living Single is kinda like Sex in the City, but less sex and more funny. It starts Queen Latifah back in her more "hip-hop" days. Its really funny show. Its a mostly woman cast, all in pretty strong roles that cover the gamut of images. So you aren't stuck looking at all sexpots or mammies. Its a great show one of my favorites.

I'll have more later, you guys can share too.Blackcyclops2011-01-15 02:46:58

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 15 Jan 2011, 03:20

Exactly. Some of the most remembered episodes to me from sitcoms had serious or tragic turns. The episode of Scrubs where Ben died is still one of the most powerful one's to me, alongside the one where Dr. Cox lost all the patients and walked out. There were laughs right up to the points where things went bad, and it got serious. That makes something resonate a lot more. Cause you can feel these characters pain if they are so well written, and they feel real. They don't come off as just cardboard cut outs there to make funny faces and tell jokes.

I think I've heard of them both before but didn't know what they were lol. I'll have to give them a peek one of these days. Don't get TVONe, but I'll keep an eye out on other channels. It's a shame that most cable channels now just show reruns of the same five shows over and over and over...when there are so many tv shows out there just floating in limbo with no channel to be on or no DVD sets to watch. Loved That 70's Show but damn am I tired of the reruns everywhere lol.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2011, 04:27

Its like unless you have the big packages (which have some great networks...I mean really great) you essentially have: the normal basic tv networks (which show the good stuff), the "news" channels, the sports channels, the "learning" channels, and the other networks that simply play one of 3 CSIs, one of 3 Law&Orders, One of three adult cartoons, Seinfeld, and one late 90s-early 00s sitcoms...

Charles

Post by Charles » 15 Jan 2011, 13:48

When I think traditional sitcom, I think with an audience reaction(real or fake). Two and a Half Men fits that. My parents watch it a lot and while it's not my favorite show by any stretch, I'm amazed at what they get away with saying on a network like CBS.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 15 Jan 2011, 14:14

I love when sitcoms have serious moments too. Scrubs and Futurama were always really good at this...making me tear up. I barely remember Scrubs despite watching it all the time, but there was an episode where the one nurse died and I was bawling. And that episode of Futurama where Fry wants to revive his dog, but decides not to because the dog lived a full life, but it turns out really the dog just waited and waited for his return...or the one where Fry goes after his brother's corpse to get his lucky clover back only to find out it was his nephew named after him.

I think How I Met Your Mother is okay, I just never got into it. I kinda liked Cougar Town at first, but it got ridiculous. I absolutely hate Two and a Half Men, aka unfunny chauvenist crap show with a bad laugh track, and I know everyone loves it (including my brother and sister) but I just can't watch Big Bang Theory. Nobody on that show acts like a real person. The reason I think MF is so funny is because everyone on  that show is exactly like a person I know...I mean I'm a little bit Claire, and my brother is SO Mitchell and my dad is SO Jay.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jan 2011, 14:27

[QUOTE=Milkshake08] I love when sitcoms have serious moments too. Scrubs and Futurama were always really good at this...making me tear up. I barely remember Scrubs despite watching it all the time, but there was an episode where the one nurse died and I was bawling. And that episode of Futurama where Fry wants to revive his dog, but decides not to because the dog lived a full life, but it turns out really the dog just waited and waited for his return...or the one where Fry goes after his brother's corpse to get his lucky clover back only to find out it was his nephew named after him.

I think How I Met Your Mother is okay, I just never got into it. I kinda liked Cougar Town at first, but it got ridiculous. I absolutely hate Two and a Half Men, aka unfunny chauvenist crap show with a bad laugh track, and I know everyone loves it (including my brother and sister) but I just can't watch Big Bang Theory. Nobody on that show acts like a real person. The reason I think MF is so funny is because everyone on  that show is exactly like a person I know...I mean I'm a little bit Claire, and my brother is SO Mitchell and my dad is SO Jay.[/QUOTE]

It's funny but if I was to give examples of why I love Scrubs and Futurama's serious side, they would match exactly what you said. Laverene's death was heartbreaking and Carla's last scene with her was so well acted, written and the music playing... . And Fry's definitely made me tear up. I think you can't help but fell affected by it, especially if you have a brother.

And I was actually going to say the same thing about Two and a Half Men, I hate that show but for whatever reason the adults i know LOVE it. When I have to go to dinners with my grandmother, even she brings it up as funny. And she just loves Charlie Sheen, who I hate. That guy makes me sick. My grandmother won't see a Mel Gibson movie but for whatever reason she gives CHarlie Sheen a pass(I guess he hasn't insulted the Jews yet, he just beats his wife and shoots other women in the leg).

Yes I think Modern Family has such amazing characters. They come across as such a genuine family. They can have separate storylines in their own family circles, or story lines which overlap or even just one scene together, and its just so easy to buy that these people know and love each other. I loved the Jay/Mitchell scene from Wednesday's episode, haha and one of favorite MF moments is when they show that Jay has a picture of Claire and Mitchell from their Fire and Ice days. There was just something really sweet about that. Though "The Kiss" episode I think is the definitive episode for how well the group works together.

Traditional sitcoms, like REAL traditional. In family sitcoms, I mean I know Different World and Living Single I use to watch reruns of the former and actually turn on Living Single(I even remember the theme song) I remember Max for being awesome. But I LOVED the Cosby show. I would watch the reruns when Nick at Night actually showed classic television and not George Lopez reruns. I think that was the last, great traditional family sitcom(though I like Growing Pains :-p).

Of course Boy Meets World is one of my favorite shows ever. It's not even that great but it's my generations Wonder Years, lol.

And my favorite comedy of all time, is and always will be, Arrested Development. Now that's the greatest family comedy ever. Horrible family, tons of comedy.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Jan 2011, 20:05

I like Community, the Office, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Family Guy, and Futurama.

I gave Bobs Burgers a watch last week and it was pretty decent, it reminded me of Home Movies.

Sitcoms from the past that are my all time favorites include, Cheers, Frazier, Seinfeld, Raymond, Simpsons when it was good, the Cosby Show, Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle, and My Name is Earl.

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 15 Jan 2011, 20:57

I knew there was a reason we get along so well Josh lol. Arrested Development...freaking hilarious. Still a shame that it was just too smart for most people to get into. I can watch that show over and over. And Boy Meets World...I just picked up Season 1 & 2 at Wal-Mart the other day. Loved that show as a kid. TGIF was my place to be Friday nights.

I think with Two and a Half Men I sort of just watch out of habit now. There are occasional moments I chuckle, but not really that much. I have a hard time taking stuff off DVR for some reason. Just like comics lol. I have to keep up with it even if it sucks just in case suddenly it's awesome...terrible habit lol.

Malcolm in The Middle, Friends, Family Guy, Simpsons (back in the good old days), Futurama, Scrubs, Community, How I Met Your Mother, Drew Carey Show, My Wife and Kids, Boy Meets World, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Family Matters, Step by Step, Arrested Development, Undelcared, Freaks and Geeks, Big Bang Theory are just a smattering of the sitcoms I've come to watch at different times over the years and watch reruns of for most of those not on the air anymore.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 Jan 2011, 22:53

I love 30 Rock, Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. I detest The Middle (it feels like a poor man's version of Malcolm in the Middle), and I also hate the newer seasons of Scrubs, although Dr Cox and Dr Kelso still own a special corner of my heart. The Laverne death episode was so hard to watch. And I also got emotional during the episode where Jordan's brother died. So sad! Frasier is awesome, STILL, and with Friends, it's about 50/50 as to whether I'm going to watch an episode and still find it funny, or turn it over because I've seen it about five million times. I love HIMYM because it really does remind me of my friends and I. I nearly died laughing in the episode where they had the drinking game based around how many times Robyn said "But Um..." because my friends used to play a drinking game every time I said "like" in a sentence without it making sense, because that's what us northerners do... I don't know if Glee counts, but I do love the humour in it, especially when a character like Sue or Brittany are shown reacting to a situation. I also have a confession to make; Never in my entire life have I watched an episode of Seinfeld. 

QDLux29

Post by QDLux29 » 16 Jan 2011, 11:47

The only scripted TV show I currently regularly watch is Glee, but back when the Sitcom ruled the TV airwaves, Will & Grace, Roseanne, Full House, Friends, Cybil, and Living Single have always been favorites. Seinfeld (whom I even share a birthday with) I could do without.

I just watch trash TV now (like the bad reality shows, Food Network and E!) as I don't really spend too much time at home to really watch TV anyway. Though if I did I'd probably be watching a lot of the shows y'all mentioned.QDLux292011-01-16 11:48:49

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 17 Jan 2011, 12:27

I love sitcoms. I recently downloaded the first season of Community and I am loving it. There isn't a character I don't like. Troy and Abed in the Morning!

Big Bang Theory is another of my faves but I can see the premise starting to get a little tired hense the introduction of the two girls (Wolowitz's GF and Sheldon's female counterpart).

I am still into How I Met Your Mother. It's starting to drag out the meeting the mother bit but I think that issue looks to be revealed this season.

Then there are the usual Family Guy, American Dad and South Park....still loving them but Family Guy lacks the originality of the first seasons.

Two and a half men would raise a smile on my face every now and then but I can't watch it without thinking what a douche Charlie Sheen is.

The one I have fallen out of love with is the Simpsons. I used to be an avid fan and watch it every night....but now as I have gotten older my humor has changed and the Simpsons just don't cut it. Ok sure they are an iconic TV show but it's ran out of steam. It's no-ones fault and it should be commended for going on so long but now it needs to be taken to Switzerland and put down humanely. The jokes aren't funny anymore, and I think Homer has done every concievable stupid thing he can do.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Jan 2011, 20:05

Black Books
News Radio
Coupling
Red Dwarf
Garth Marnghi's Darkplace
Fawlty Towers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Jan 2011, 21:04

News Radio! Totally forgot how much I used to like that one.

Also what about 3rd Rock from the Sun? Another goodie.

Finally it only lasted one season but I loved the Live Action version of The Tick.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 05 Feb 2011, 06:38

I don't seem to watch that many new sitcoms any more, though I do tend to re-watch older ones, I've recently been watching That 70's Show, the early seasons were great stuff.

Ongoing Sitcoms I watch are The Middle, How I Met Your Mother, Peep Show, The IT Crowd.

Some of my favourite older sitcoms were, Friends, Malcolm in the Middle, Fawlty Towers, Futurama, Black Books, Father Ted, Scrubs, Extras, Freaks and Geeks (does that count as a sitcom?) and classic Simpsons.Magik842011-02-05 06:47:27