Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D Soilers/Discussion

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Polaris

Post by Polaris » 11 Sep 2010, 21:04

This movie, at least in my area, is only being shown in 3D.

Going with the entire series of relatively bad storylines, I still found this entertaining. I love the entire film franchise, even though I know they're terrible. It doesn't matter. There's always this certain campiness with the mild humor thrown in here and there. With 1, they just mocked each other, though Rayne had some great lines. 2 was mostly sassy comments made funny here and there. 3 added a few college age humor bits, like running out of cigarettes and at the end, the bit with the marijuana.

This, too, had it's campy comedy moments. I appreciated them, even though nothing was hilarious.

The 3-D element was hit and miss throughout. Sometimes it was confusing as f**k and made my eyes hurt. Other times, it was done smashingly. They used the same cameras used in Avatar and really played on the current technology while still incorporating the classic feel to it. Also, about 90% of the action sequences were in slow-mo, which I personally liked. It gave a really cool feel to it, you got to see a lot more.

K-Mart returned near the end of the movie. She is clearly older. She has no lines, though she does grunt a few times.

Detailed Spoiler Run-Down:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

-Starts in Japan, shows the beginning of the infection with a stylish Japanese girl standing in the middle of the street with a massive crowd. Finally, she randomly attacks some civilian. Then Alice gets her narration as always about what happened in the previous films.

- Army-of-Milla was f**king awesome. They ALL had the psychic and physical powers. They took out the entire underground Japanese facility, save for Wesker. Wesker flees via weird heli-jet, and as he flies away, triggers some weird nuclear explosion thing that destroys the entire facility and a good chunk of Japan. The real Alice appears in the jet and he injects her with something that strips her of her extra abilities. She's grateful to be human again, and just before he kills her, the heli-jet crashes. Alice walks away.

- After a while of solitary, she makes it to Alaska and lands at the same beach that the other survivors from 3 landed at (she finds the helicopter they used to get there). God only knows where Alice found this little red plane she uses throughout the movie, but I loved it. I wanted to name it Oscar. There, Alice meets Claire, and after a ridiculously short battle, Alice kicks her into the wing of a plane and she's knocked out. Alice sees the little red mind-warper and removes it. When Claire wakes up, she has no memory.

- Alice ties her up and the two fly to Hollywood where they see survivors on a huge prison rooftop. She circles the building, and at ground level, it's nothing but a mass overcrowding of zombies everywhere. This is really the first time we see a zombie or anything zombie related. Every square inch of the ground is covered with Zombies, though, all seemingly trying to get into the prison for the survivors, or just standing still because zombies are easily entertained.

- Alice lands on the rooftop, albeit barely. The survivors think she and Claire come from Arcadia. They then reveal that Arcadia isn't a town in Alaska, it's a Cruise ship of sorts that is just off the coast where they are, and has been going up and down the coast. The plane is too small to take all the survivors, so they begin working up plans for escape.

- The former basketball star is basically the leader of the survivors before Alice and Claire get there. He takes Alice down to a chamber where a 'mysterious' man named Chris is being held in a Lector cage. He tells Alice the same story he told the other survivors - his army devision was letting prisoners go so they could get on the streets and kill the zombies, but the prisoners rioted or something, jumped Chris, and put him in this solitary thing. The survivors didn't believe him, and Alice is all sassy with him. Meanwhile, zombies break through a wall underground somewhere. It's a las plagas.

-They have dinner, and before Alice goes to bed, she shows all her weapons to basketballer. She drops a bunch of coins, basketballer gets confused, and she writes it off as 'a hobby.' The next day, the basketballer takes her to the bathroom quarters. They still have running water, but no heat and the water is cold. She starts undressing, hears something, pulls out a gun and finds a peeping tom. She yells at him, but then a las plagas zombie appears and kills him. Alice takes them all out, and they start moving quick.

-Eventually, they end up having a meeting next to Chris' chambers. Claire, again, appears absent until they decide to open the cell. He comes out of the cell, Alice moves, Claire is behind her and Chris gets weepy for all of 2 seconds. Claire doesn't remember or trust him getting close to her. Meanwhile, the big axe executioner guy is walking down an empty street dragging the axe.

- They go outside within the gate (Chris leads them, as he promises he knows a way out but wouldn't help anyone until they let him out). There's a locked garage with a military vehicle inside. While they try to get the door unlocked, Axe Executioner starts banging on the gate with his axe. Chris, Alice, and another female survivor decide to go get weapons (there's a room on another side of the building where a bunch of military weapons are.

- They have to go underwater to get there, but get out of the water just find. Then a las plagas flies out, grabs random girl and goes back underwater and kills her. Alice and Chris fight off a swarm of them from a few directions and get into the weapon room. They stock up. Meanwhile, Claire and basketballer push a cop car against the gate door to help barricade against Axe Executioner. The garage is open, but the engine isn't in the military vehicle, but hanging next to it, requiring some work. Instead, some guy reveals he's evilish and shoots the mechanic. He books it and his Asian semi-friend follows confused.

-Axe executioner breaks the gate, and all get into the building and run up, of all places. Alice and Chris slip avoid the horde outside the weapon room and go through the vents. Everyone alive ends up on the roof where the Evilish guy takes the plane. He tells Asian-guy to get in, but when everyone else starts appearing, he leaves without him and nearly crashes but manages to pull up just in time to take out a bunch of zombies on the ground with the propeller and then take off toward Arcadia.

[Sidenote, Claire's been slowly remembering things about what happened to her and the survivors and her past throughout the film. She remembers speed boats coming to the shores of Alaska and taking the survivors, but can't remember why she didn't go with them]

-The remaining survivors are: Alice, Claire, Chris, Basket baller, and Asian-Guy. The only way they can think of to get out, now and quickly is by going through the holes in the shower-room where the las plagas had burrowed in. They lead to the sewers which lead to the whatevers that lead to the whatever. There's a big zombie fight on the roof, but the elevator is broken. Alice says she'll meet them at ground floor. She throws a bomb on top of the elevator. It breaks the elevator free and they all plummet down until they hit the water level, and then they run to wherever. Alice uses this wire thing (used earlier to stop the plane from falling over the edge) and leaps off the building with a bunch of zombies following her. She shoots as she falls toward the ground, flips around, takes out a bunch and is running toward where the Basketballer is calling her.

-This is the big coin hobby reveal. She pulls out her cool shotguns (previously used to look good and not for shooting), and shoots. The coins fly out and rip through a ton of zombies and clear her way. They eventually make it to the shower room.

-The boys go down the zombie holes, Chris and basket baller. But then Axe Executioner shows up (and I think he slices Asian-Guy in half? I really can't remember). There's a big fight, Alice uses her coin shotgun on him, and he falls but gets up and knocks her out. Big Claire fight, Claire slides and shoots him with the coin gun from underneath. He falls again, but gets up. Alice gets up and blows his head off with some other gun. The girls finally go down the hole (the boys totally dipped out).

- They maze through the sewers and such but get separated from Basketballer and assume he's dead. Alice, Claire, and Chris left. They get to the coast and use a convenient boat to get to Arcadia.

-They maze through Arcadia, finally find these HUGE white rooms. Turns out, Arcadia is Umbrella run, and all the survivors are being kept so they can be experimented on. The trio begin freeing them (K-Mart is one of the first on their list and she grunts a few times and freaks out at them), but Alice sees blood in a few and follows it until she gets to Wesker. They argue for a minute, creepy dogs come out and so does Evilish guy holding a gun to her head. Chris and Claire come in and there's a big fight. Wesker throws them both into the confinement things.

-Alice takes out the dogs, but the Evilish guy holds a gun to her head again, and K-Mart appears behind him. He turns around, asks who she is, and she knocks him out with the coin gun Alice had dropped earlier. She then calls Alice's name, throws her the gun, and she shoots Wesker in the face with it.

-She frees Chris and Claire. Wesker gets back up but then Chris and Claire shoot him a whole bunch of times. They leave and somehow keep the Evilish guy inside. Wesker gets up again and I guess kills him. He leaves with that heli-jet thing and triggers an explosive again, but Chris, Alice, and Claire run through the ship outside to watch. Alice had put the explosive on the jet and it explodes. The scene ends with Alice smiling, "I just didn't want you guys to miss that!" when it explodes all nuclear-y.

-All the survivors from the ship file out onto the deck. Alice tells them that there's no infection, that they are safe on the ship. Then a whole army of the heli-jets appear flying toward Arcadia. Alice, Chris, and Claire act like they're going to fight them off. Credits.

-Split credit, Blonde woman is walking through one of the heli-jets giving a speech to the soldiers about how dangerous the trio is to Umbrella. Jill turns around looking completely like her Resident Evil 5 game counterpart in the purple body suit with the red mind-warper on her chest. She tells the soldiers that they're in for the fight of their lives and smiles at the camera. Finish credits.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 11 Sep 2010, 21:35

Hehe I'll probably see it despite reading all this. Like you said, the plots are horrible but the movies are fun.

From the sound of it, it doesn't like they did much with Chris and Claire, which is a shame. Some substance will be nice. I also like that it sounds like Alice is human again. I hope the next movie has some good Chris/Jill scenes but since they skipped over Chris/Claire, doubt they'll do that.

grief

Post by grief » 11 Sep 2010, 22:29

[QUOTE=XtremeOne1]Hehe I'll probably see it despite reading all this. Like you said, the plots are horrible but the movies are fun.

Some substance will be nice.[/QUOTE]Contradicted yourself there Xtreme.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 11 Sep 2010, 23:14

Haha not really. The plots are horrible but that doesn't mean substances wouldn't be nice, sort of making the plots less horrible. I like the character of Alice, I like the action, just a little bit of substance could go along way. Heck it could even be hammy, melodramatic substance.
It would be nice but I'd still enjoy the movie without it. It's popcorn but if I could have some butter on that popcorn it makes it even tastier.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Sep 2010, 12:52

wait...that was Jill???

Polaris

Post by Polaris » 12 Sep 2010, 21:24

That was Jill. She's just like... 8 years older and blonde. Just like Resident Evil 5 Jill.

jominick

Post by jominick » 13 Sep 2010, 00:21

Damn! the movie just make you want to wait for the next one

I wanted to see jill in action.

Still good movie!

Polaris

Post by Polaris » 13 Sep 2010, 02:08

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a cliffhanger ending. Before going into the theatre, I expected that Jill would be revealed somewhere in a mid-to-late action scene brainwashed by Wesker. She would be saved, and then Alice, Jill, Claire, and Chris would battle Wesker together (I went in knowing Alice would be stripped of her powers from pre-opening interviews). I figured Wesker would be killed and Umbrella would be no more. Instead... it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I would love if they made a fifth one, personally. It's not mentally stimulating in the least, but I f**king love the franchise even though the movies have warped into something not Resident Evil at all. But as always, we just have to see how well this one does in the box office.

Lorr

Post by Lorr » 13 Sep 2010, 09:08

So far it has the best opening weekend of any RE film, so a sequel is pretty much guaranteed.Funny how almost every scene from the trailer happened in the first 10 minutes of the movie.  After that I was like " so what is this movie gonna be about?" lol.And I gotta say that I really liked the 3D in this movie.  Some scenes had noticeable visual depth in them and there was also a good amount of pop-out-the-screen at you 3D.  That combined with the old school Matrix effects, gunplay, and explosions made this a pretty fun film to see in the theater.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Sep 2010, 09:51

Yeah...this reminds me more of an 80s/90s action film. It did what the Expendabls couldn't, it was brainless per-say but it still kept developing its movie mythos, had some fun moments,action was intense,and even had some moments dat surprised the s*** out of me lol

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 13 Sep 2010, 18:20

Saw this today, only in 2D as didn't want to wait around another hour for the 3-D and had limited funds anyways and I need my crack corn...sorry pop corn for a movie lol. Better than I was expecting it to be. When I just focused on it as an action romp it was quite enjoyable. Really didn't see that ending coming with Jill and it being a cliffhanger. When the credits started I saw Jill listed and was like "Did I blink and miss her"...then there she was lol. There is already talk from Anderson about the fifth one, saying that he'll be going to Twitter to see what fans want in the fifth and incorporate those things into the next one. Didn't expect the basketball/watch guy to survive (can't even remember his name now lol, curse all the characters dying off so fast I didn't bother to recall), but then after wards was thinking of the sort of flirtation between him and Alice that maybe they figured they need a new flirtation/love interest for her after Carlos blew up lol. UncannyScott2010-09-13 18:22:36

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Sep 2010, 18:49

his name was Luther West, he's Boris Kodjoe (German actually). He's starring in the NBC show Undercovers (by the guys that made Lost). He's mostly been in "black" romantic comedies (if you want to label them that)...I thought him and Alice had some cute chemistry.

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 13 Sep 2010, 19:04

That's what it was. Knew it was West something, but with as quick as the non main characters got offed soon as the movie was over most of the names started to fade lol. And I knew I had seen him somewhere. Those Undercovers promos lol. They did have some good chemistry. Hopefully it goes somewhere this time before someone is offed.

Polaris

Post by Polaris » 14 Sep 2010, 01:54

I felt so bad for K-Mart. "You're free! Oh, wait." And the only thing she said was "Alice". At least she got to knock Evilish guy out.

I actually really liked Basketballer (Lucas). I thought it was predictable that he lived which made me not fear for him when he was left behind. I feel like if a fifth one is made, and he's in it, then he'll have a more important role. I wish Army-of-Mila stuck around a bit longer, though. They were f**king awesome until they got nucleared.

Lorr

Post by Lorr » 14 Sep 2010, 09:41

If you are married to the director, or play a character who appeared in the game, chances are you will at least make it to the end of these movies.  The cliche of the "token black" guy being the first to die was so overused in the past that now it is commonplace for him to survive as well.  So it was kind of easy to guess who would bite the dust in this movie.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Feb 2011, 03:28

I liked this more than the last one.
All the stunts were cool especially the executioner bathroom fight.
I want more Jill.
Another thing that bugs me about the movies is that they're missing a lot of the wierd monsters from the games. We need more Hunters and less cannon fodder zombies.
It was fun.