Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Inception

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Anna Raven

Inception

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Jul 2010, 02:53

Go see this movie! It's amazing. Great visuals and a truly inventive plot. It's that type of a movie I totally want to see it again to catch the intricacies I missed the first time.

Blackcyclops

Inception

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Jul 2010, 02:54

It was a beautiful movie...lawd, curse the Nolans for being such great directors...the best movie I've seen this year...which is a tough thing to do with the near classic Toy Story 3

This is the type of movie that could never work in any other form of media...Blackcyclops2010-07-18 03:00:39

Anna Raven

Inception

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Jul 2010, 03:04

Funny you should say that BC. I was thinking it might be interesting to see a comic take on such a complex, bold plotline.

It would have to be a true master though, someone with with a tradition of thinking outside the box. Someone like Morrison or Gaiman or Mignola.

Even then, you wouldn't get the same kind of rush reading it as you would watching a movie like this.

EvilMonkeyPope

Inception

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Jul 2010, 03:14

Like Paprika?

Anna Raven

Inception

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Jul 2010, 03:18

I never saw Paprika. But the trailers looked surreal. This was kind of surreal, yet everything made complete logical sense.

hotknives

Inception

Post by hotknives » 18 Jul 2010, 08:09

Yep, I was pretty blown away by this. Stunning visuals, some of the best action sequences I've ever seen (the hotel corridor one was just ridiculous), and really well cast too. Marion Cotillard is just amazing

Blackcyclops

Inception

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Jul 2010, 13:28

See thats it Anna, it could be a good comic but it would have that same feeling. just like some comics/novels will never properly translate to film, some film never properly translate to comic. Now I WOULD LOVE AN inception video game...or even a tv series if we could get the same writers and put it on HBO or SHowtime...good lawd LOL...

So who wants to give their opinion on the ending?

Anna Raven

Inception

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Jul 2010, 14:23

A video game would be sweet. Some of my friends and I (we are all video game developers) were joking that the characters in the movie were all based on various disciplines in games. Joseph Gordon Leavitt and the Indian guy were programmers. Ellen Page was a level designer. Ken Watanabe was the publisher. The guy who could impersonate different people was an artist. And Leo was the Producer.

I just laughed at the ending. It was so typically Nolan.

Le Diable Blanc

Inception

Post by Le Diable Blanc » 18 Jul 2010, 14:44

It was worth watching, in my opinion, but definitely not the best movie I've seen this year. I didn't care too much for the acting. Hell, none of the character's names even stuck except Cobb, or whatever, and I just saw it last night. :P

As for the ending. Really inventive, but I saw it coming from a mile away.

*SPOILER*

As soon as his wife talked about him not knowing that he was still in a dream, I was just like "Yep. Okay. Here we go."

The top thing at the end was exciting though. You could tell that it kept spinning though. No top can sit there and spin for 40 seconds straight without slowing down :P

/opinion.

sixhoursoflucy

Inception

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 19 Jul 2010, 15:43

I saw it this weekend and it passed my most basic test of a good movie: it kept me engaged the entire time. Nolan's able to do that somehow, even though his movies tend to run almost two-and-a-half hours. I loved the inventive set pieces and the intricate, multi-layered plot. Nolan has a pretty fast-paced directing and editing style that feels unnecessary at first, but as the movie progresses you realize why he was moving so quickly: he has a lot of story to tell. This felt very much like The Dark Knight in that way. Two things kept this from being "great", though: it didn't max out its dreamscape visual potential, and ultimately it didn't ask any questions that haven't been asked a billion times in other movies in the past decade (The Matrix, Waking Life, Vanilla Sky, eXistenZ, Dark City, The Thirteenth Floor, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Shutter Island, etc.). Examining the inner workings of the mind certainly makes for interesting stories and is rife with potential for future tales, but I was hoping to have my mind prodded into thinking new thoughts and ideas with this one. Still, it was tons of fun, and the sequences with JGL in that twisting corridor had me beaming. He pulls off the bad-ass action role surprisingly well. 

A Former UXN Forumite

Inception

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 21 Jul 2010, 03:24

The movie was "engaging", but like Six said, it didn't actually go anywhere new. The long exposition and the repetitive scenes also took a toll, I felt. Why spend all that time, when the ending was so simple? Plus, I just really can't get behind Leonardo DiCaprio in any of his recent work. He just tries way too hard. There were glimmers of good acting, though. It's unfortunate that Scorcese has coached him into thinking he's the next De Niro or Brando, when he's much more like James Dean.
Anyway, enough with the negatives. I did like Marion Cotillard, despite her distracting accent. I'm a sucker for long-lost love stories, and the one in this didn't disappoint. I think the story should have focused even more on this, and not on the lame Fischer plot. For instance, was it ever really explained why Cobb and his wife spent years together in limbo? For fun? To have crazy dream sex? Perhaps it's supposed to be a metaphor for real relationships that don't work out; was all that time worth it, or was it a waste?

Anyway, I too loved the JGL hallway scene. He's way better at kicking ass than Leo. I also appreciated Nolan's ever present Bond references, like how Mal had a PPK in her first scene as the traitorous femme fatale, and the extended On Her Majesty's Secret Service homage that was the ski scene.

Milkshake08

Inception

Post by Milkshake08 » 21 Jul 2010, 16:09

Fun movie, although I had to laugh at the fact that Michael Caine is a big time actor in maybe 2 minutes of the whole movie.

Everyone kept saying the ending was this big deal so I expected it to be more than exactly what I predicted...which was "Oh, is he still dreaming or not? Is he still in Limbo or not?" Yup, that's what I saw coming...

The cast was great though. Love Ellen Page, Marion Coutillard, and JGL, as well as the Asian man from Memoirs of a Geisha. Loved the action sequences and the "kick" sequences. My main beef was actually that we have all these great actors but none of the characters are characters except Cob and Moll. They are all just action people. Page's character had a glimmer of potential as some sort of moral anchor or someone who questions what they are doing, but she really didn't have much to work with.

hotknives

Inception

Post by hotknives » 21 Jul 2010, 16:26

No, it's true there wasn't much character wise for the actors to get hold of. I think Tom Hardy definitely made the most of his part thouh

marhawkman

Inception

Post by marhawkman » 21 Jul 2010, 21:47

Hmm... So what's so good about the plot?  All the trailers I've seen say "silly overuse of special effects".

sixhoursoflucy

Inception

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 21 Jul 2010, 21:59

I actually thought there weren't enough special effects, considering the premise. Nolan could have made a more creative use of the dreamscape. Ellen Page's character seemed particularly wasted in this regard; she was hired to be a dream architect and a creator of labyrinths to trap their subjects, but all of the scenarios we experienced during the finale felt mundane.

The plot is difficult to explain, but the cool storytelling devices come from the film's use of compounded dreams, the coordination of different passages of time and the effect on human balance within the framework of a dream.

Charles

Inception

Post by Charles » 22 Jul 2010, 11:04

one of my favorite movie reviewers described it as, "What if Freddie Krueger was James Bond".

Lorr

Inception

Post by Lorr » 23 Jul 2010, 07:51

A caper movie set in the world of The Matrix....cool.  I am still wondering one thing though...at what point did the "main dream" (hinted at by the ending) start?  I remember seeing that top fall over a couple of times in the beginning when Leo woke up from his earlier dreams.  But after the point where he went to see all of those dreaming people in the basement I noticed that every time he would spin it someone would walk in and interrupt him or something so that we could not actually see if the top falls or not.  I need to see this again...at home so I can use the pause and rewind buttons lol.

Blackcyclops

Inception

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jul 2010, 11:20

Good point Lorr, and member another time someone stopped him from finish spinning...perhaps he'd been in the dream for quite some time...

I'd still be interested in an Inception show on HBO...

Anna Raven

Inception

Post by Anna Raven » 24 Jul 2010, 00:55

I do think the top eventually falls (at the end) you hear it wobble several times, something it never did any where else in the film. It is fun to speculate though!

Crutey Anth

Inception

Post by Crutey Anth » 25 Jul 2010, 03:30

It was a very good movie but I don't think a very great movie. You've all pointed out the facts really, weak characters, not enough done with the visuals (maybe just compared to what I was expecting)...and some squiffy Psuedo-Psychology which is just one way to annoy me greatly :P

I think the top fell, it was wobbling!

One thing I did think of was:- You know how The Architect can't change the dream world too much incase the constructs realise and start attacking them? I don't understand why when they went into the dream and were instantly attacked by an army she just went 'sod it' and build an impenetrable fortress or simply a big box they could safely sit in :S

Anna Raven

Inception

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Jul 2010, 04:04

I would assume that whatever architecture you would come up with, the dreamer would whip up some constructs. So even if you put you and your pals in a 6 x 6 x 6 foot box, a construct or two would join in there with you. That's not to say you couldn't be more clever with it though, which was the point of the M.C. Escher stairways and such. You can't get rid of the constructs altogether, but you can fool them occasionally.

Anyway, I just got a different feeling about the movie than you guys I guess. As someone who tries to stay in tune with my dreams and does a lot of thinking about dreaming, it gave me a visceral thrill, which in turn made it an excellent movie for me. Also, I just love movies that are dark and foreboding and mysterious like that. I got the same impulsive glee out of The Prestige, for much the same reason.

sixhoursoflucy

Inception

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 25 Jul 2010, 14:26

For some reason, I'm violently uninterested in discussing whether or not the top keeps spinning or falls at the end, yet that's the question people keep bringing up in conversations about the movie. It's hard to explain, but it felt to me like such a trite device to generate conversation. "Is he still dreaming? Is he not?" Who cares? It's ultimately unanswerable and one of those forced glass-half-empty-or-full scenarios. If you know your friends at all, you know which side they're going to take. Ultimately, I didn't think it was necessary to include that final shot because viewers would've had that same question anyway once they thought about the film. 

Crawler

Inception

Post by Crawler » 25 Jul 2010, 14:41

I can't help it. For me, this is literally the first movie that I feel like I have to see again. It's that Avatar feeling, you know what I mean? For Avatar, people were like, "Wow, why can't the world be like that? Man, the real world is depressing."For me, that's how it is with Inception.

Anna Raven

Inception

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Jul 2010, 14:54

Yeah I know what you mean Crawler! Only with this movie it's like "Wow, the real word is depressing, but you know what might make it MORE depressing? Not having any idea if the world you live in is real or a figment of your imagination."

So blending this conversation in with what sixhouroflucy just said, I agree that the question of if the top falls is wholly unimportant to the story, it's just a gimmick to get people talking. But the REAL issue brought up by this movie, the one that movies like the Matrix kind of glossed over, is if you COULD change your reality and live a fantasy life within a dream, is that something you SHOULD do? Is that a good idea or a nightmare? I guess Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind kind of tackled that already, but it was a completely different kind of movie. This is the first mega-blockbuster movie that's tried to look at dreams and fantasies that way.Anna Raven2010-07-25 14:54:40

A Former UXN Forumite

Inception

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 25 Jul 2010, 15:01

Dreams don't necessarily feel the same as reality. While at the time, you're usually not aware you're dreaming, I can't imagine living my whole life like that. It would be weird. There's a concrete boringness about reality that dreams don't have. In a dream, everything is coming from your mind. Ultimately, there'd be nothing that happened to you that you wouldn't know about.