Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Loki

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Spectral Knight

Re: Loki

Post by Spectral Knight » 24 Jun 2021, 02:38

No Episode three thoughts yet?

Personally I thought this was the most successful episode yet, it finally gave "our" Loki something physical to do and a chance to really flex his magical muscles whilst Sylvie was very quickly built as her own character with her own motivations, history, powers etc. It feels like she's definitely a hybrid of Loki and the Enchantress.

Onto more spoilery thoughts...
Spoiler: show
Interesting to see both Lokis confirmed as bi, but we've never really seen any sort of romantic interest for Loki to date. Could his biggest interest be... him/herself? There was definitely some spikey tension between the two and it plays on his ego that he falls for himself.

I want to find out more about Sylvie's history - did she have her own Thor and was their relationship as antagonistic as Loki Prime's (or at least alt-Loki Prime, given Prime is dead)

So the TVA are variant but seemingly don't know... the first thing I thought was who is Mobius a Variant of? He's already mentioned he's met a tonne of Loki variants in the past... could he be one himself? How do they get brainwashed into forgetting their background and who is behind it? The Time Keepers? Ravonna?

How do we think they'll get off Lamentis and is this a place in the normal MU? I didn't recognise the name.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 24 Jun 2021, 03:54

Spectral Knight wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 02:38

Onto more spoilery thoughts...
Interesting to see both Lokis confirmed as bi, but we've never really seen any sort of romantic interest for Loki to date. Could his biggest interest be... him/herself? There was definitely some spikey tension between the two and it plays on his ego that he falls for himself.

I want to find out more about Sylvie's history - did she have her own Thor and was their relationship as antagonistic as Loki Prime's (or at least alt-Loki Prime, given Prime is dead)

So the TVA are variant but seemingly don't know... the first thing I thought was who is Mobius a Variant of? He's already mentioned he's met a tonne of Loki variants in the past... could he be one himself? How do they get brainwashed into forgetting their background and who is behind it? The Time Keepers? Ravonna?

How do we think they'll get off Lamentis and is this a place in the normal MU? I didn't recognise the name.
For what its worth:
In the comics Sylvie was the Young Avenger version of Enchantress during Dark Reign. She was created by magic out of nothing by Loki, and left in Broxton when the Asgardians were still in Oklahoma. It might be interesting if they pull from some of that backstory for the show version.

Lamentis and its moon were a very small part of Annihilation: Conquest. Same basic principal of moon destroying world.
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 24 Jun 2021, 22:43

I thought the episode was dull. Long, banal and incoherent conversations about love. Action scenes that were as difficult to follow as the worst CW scenes. And the two leads have no chemistry.
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Jun 2021, 09:48

Nu-D wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 22:43
I thought the episode was dull. Long, banal and incoherent conversations about love. Action scenes that were as difficult to follow as the worst CW scenes. And the two leads have no chemistry.
One of the action scenes was a long single cut. It doesn't get any easier to follow that that. The other big action scene was just falling rocks.

I don't agree with your other criticisms either, but at least they are opinions that can't be argued. But I feel I can pretty safely argue that the action scenes were EXTREMELY easy to follow. If you still didn't like them, that's fine. But I'm sorry I really couldn't let that one slide.
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Jun 2021, 10:04

Hey now, I’ll admit they could be poorly lite but at least on Arrow, the fight scenes were pretty competently done. They just happened to follow a very similar superhero action movie style of fighting…a kind of nondescript marital arts with unnecessary flips and faux locks lol…a contrast to the ballet like fighting of some Eastern films or the very close cut, gritty action of the Bourne Identity/Daniel Craig James Bond School of fighting…
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Jun 2021, 11:20

NuD did say the "worst of CW" not the best of CW, and to be fair, not every show does as good a job as Arrow did.

My issue is just that other than the like 2 minutes sword fight at the beginning of the show, the other two action scenes didn't involve anything more complex than running away from stuff falling on them. It was the easiest thing to follow in the world. It's not like they were running through a Rube Goldberg machine hehe.

I love you NuD but you have to admit that was hyperbole on your part.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 25 Jun 2021, 12:28

I admit no such thing. They were too poorly lit, the camera work was too bouncy and hyper, and the actors/stunt doubles had poor pacing. I couldn’t follow either action scene.

That’s not to say that were “as bad as” the worst CW scenes. The actors clearly had moves, which often the CW actors don’t. It was just really hard to follow, like the worst CW scenes.

On the one hand, I give them a lot of credit for using real set pieces in the meteorite scene. On the other hand, it looked like it was filmed in a laser tag game. I kept expecting Neil Patrick Harris to show up and zap some little kids.
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Jun 2021, 13:28

But I loved that set up!. Thor Ragnarok kind of has established a aesthetic for these sci-fi worlds and it's decidedly 80's retro.

Anyway, I don't know what to tell you, I had zero problems following the action. I thought they looked quite good.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 26 Jun 2021, 04:58

I was a little disappointed, after the second half of Episode 2 seemed to really jolt the plot into high gear, that Episode 3 then took a tangent by stranding Loki and Sylvie in another time/planet. At least we got a nice tidbit that the TVA folks aren't 'born' as they believe. I actually did think Loki and Sylvie have more chemistry than Loki and Mobius did, though I agree their conversations still aren't very interesting or clever, which isn't a good thing for a show spending so much time on scenes involving two people sitting at a table having a dialogue. The colorful set pieces continue to be the best part, so far. I almost wonder if the year 2077 was a purposeful nod given how cyberpunky the city at the end looked with its blues and purples.

I had no trouble "following" the action but I didn't quite get why it was happening in the last scene... why were people attacking them?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 26 Jun 2021, 07:48

The middle plot episodes are always a bit of a drag, but at least we found out some big information. I hope the ball gets rolling again next episode, cause we're already halfway there and I feel like we spent a whole hour spinning our wheels.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Jun 2021, 08:22

Magnus wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 04:58
I was a little disappointed, after the second half of Episode 2 seemed to really jolt the plot into high gear, that Episode 3 then took a tangent by stranding Loki and Sylvie in another time/planet. At least we got a nice tidbit that the TVA folks aren't 'born' as they believe. I actually did think Loki and Sylvie have more chemistry than Loki and Mobius did, though I agree their conversations still aren't very interesting or clever, which isn't a good thing for a show spending so much time on scenes involving two people sitting at a table having a dialogue. The colorful set pieces continue to be the best part, so far. I almost wonder if the year 2077 was a purposeful nod given how cyberpunky the city at the end looked with its blues and purples.

I had no trouble "following" the action but I didn't quite get why it was happening in the last scene... why were people attacking them?
Everyone was beating each other hoping to be one of the last ones on the ark.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 27 Jun 2021, 03:59

I was disappointed how short it was compared to the previous 2 episodes. I felt they could have fit more in. I was also disappointed there was absolutely no follow-up to Sylvie's multiversal attack last episode.

I loved the dynamic between Loki and Sylvie, they had good chemistry. Part of me kept waiting for it to be revealed most of the episode was an illusion created when Sylvie tried to enchant Loki. But that twist didn't come, which I'm relieved about because that would mean all those interactions would be undone.

Though there were two scenes where Loki displayed powers he never shown before that makes me think it's fake. The first was the energy blast on the train, the second was stopping a falling building with telekinesis. That makes me suspect it's either Sylvie's illusion, or Loki has turned the illusion around on Sylvie to try to learn more about her.

Lorr

Post by Lorr » 29 Jun 2021, 15:57

I will be surprised if it turns out there are no Illusion shenanigans going on from either Loki or Sylvie in this episode. Everything from the point Sylvie woke up on the train seemed like a ruse.

Loki gets drunk off champagne, removes his disguise, gets thrown off the train, and accidentally breaks the time travel machine? If he wasn't a trickster god I could chalk that up to him being an idiot. But Loki is a trickster god, and he's not been shown to be an idiot.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Jun 2021, 23:08

Lorr wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 15:57
I will be surprised if it turns out there are no Illusion shenanigans going on from either Loki or Sylvie in this episode. Everything from the point Sylvie woke up on the train seemed like a ruse.

Loki gets drunk off champagne, removes his disguise, gets thrown off the train, and accidentally breaks the time travel machine? If he wasn't a trickster god I could chalk that up to him being an idiot. But Loki is a trickster god, and he's not been shown to be an idiot.
Wait, you’re gone for a year and a half and don’t even bother with a “hey y’all, I’m back!”

I hope you’re right about the episode. When you put it that way, it doesn’t really add up.
He/him/his

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 30 Jun 2021, 09:11

That was a better theory than what happened.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 30 Jun 2021, 19:37

So if Sylvie is telling the truth and she ages like an Asgardian, it makes me wonder from her point of view just how long she's been on the run from the TVA.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 30 Jun 2021, 22:18

Well, I'm glad we can put this "sacred timeline" bull to bed.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Jun 2021, 23:09

This episode was very good. I’m a little baffled how C-15 just waltzed in, when it’s been established that not even Mobius has been in to see the Time Keepers. I guess people just stayed out because those were the rules, and anyone could have walked in any time.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 30 Jun 2021, 23:27

I always got a Weber’s critic or bureaucrats from the TVA so I really had assumed this is like the first time anybody’s ever not done as told with the organization…
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 01 Jul 2021, 04:48

A really good episode I thought!

Given now that we know the Time Keepers were fake, just who is pulling the strings? Kang seems a good bet given his connection to both time travel and Ravonna, but she generally seem scared when she first went in to see them in the pre-credits scene so I assume she didn't know they were androids, and seemingly wanted to be pruned by Sylvie at the end...

And what about that post credit scene - no mention of it so far?
Kid Loki and Classic Loki, played by Richard E Grant no less, amongst the variants

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 01 Jul 2021, 04:52

Blackcyclops wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 23:27
I always got a Weber’s critic or bureaucrats from the TVA so I really had assumed this is like the first time anybody’s ever not done as told with the organization…
Yeah I can totally see that, especially since everyone has been mindwiped.

This episode made me appreciate Ep 3 a bit more, or at least understand what it was doing - Loki/Sylvie as a romantic thing actually is a plot point, so spending an episode on setting that up makes sense. (It's debateable how well they pulled it off, of course, but I can see the design intent.)

And yeah, who were the dudes in the post credit scene?
One guy looked like 70s Halloween store quality Loki, no clue on the other two (more Lokis?)

ETA: Oh, there's actually 4, I didn't even see Alligator Loki lol

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 01 Jul 2021, 06:52

Seemingly they're variants that had previously been pruned by the TVA. Mobius had alluded to meeting many more Loki variants before encountering our Loki.

I wonder if alligator Loki is a nemesis of Throg? :lol:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 01 Jul 2021, 10:44

See I’m not sure they’re “romantic” feelings…

Yes Loki-dile is Throg’s archenemy!!!!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 01 Jul 2021, 20:48

Like the majority of Captain America's MCU suits,
classic Loki is missing scale mail. What did scale mail ever do to Kevin Feige?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 01 Jul 2021, 23:46

I’m all for the post-credits scenes in the movies, and even open to one at the end of a TV series, but after a mid-series episode that ended in a cliffhanger? That’s silly. It’s not like I need a teaser to come back next week.

Anyhow, now if have to go back and watch it because I didn’t know it was there.
He/him/his