Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 22 Jun 2022, 20:47

The Obi-Wan Kenobi show is ... better than I expected.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... -obi-yawn/

Magnus

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Magnus » 22 Jun 2022, 23:47

I guess I hadn't learned my lesson yet, because I found it worse than I was expecting. I dunno why, maybe I thought they'd bring the big creative guns out for this show given how big of a deal it was to get McGregor and Christiansen back, but alas, this was much more BoBF than the Mandolorian. The whole thing felt very rushed, almost as if they were on some deadline once they got the two big leads signed.

There were some good moments here and there... interspersed with a lot of dumb moments. Quite a lot of the action-directing was pretty bad (starting with the Leia chase in the forest, to pretty much everything in Episode 2...) A lot of the sets looked really cheap (worst of all is probably the random industrial sand-pit during the confrontation in Episode 3). Reva's character had a lot of potential but seemed pretty wasted. Not sure if the actress is wooden or she was just given bad direction/writing, though I'd lean towards the latter given all the other weaknesses in the show. (I thought young Leia was great though.)

And I also was disappointed with the idea of having Obi-Wan and Vader meet up and duel in general - they try to make it plausible but I still think the most straightforward interpretation of their meeting in ANH is that they haven't seen each other since ROTS. The whole thing kinda feels like fanfic. And people can debate that until they're blue in the face, but honestly, I think it's just indicative of Disney's handling of Star Wars in general - they really do seem to just see it as a money-printing license, which requires them to just keep shipping product, and the easiest stuff to get people interested in is pre-existing characters. But constantly revisiting the same old OT characters is very limiting and dull. There's probably a reason the best thing they've made so far is the Mandalorian, an all-new character who was pretty unconnected, especially in the first season.

Loganalpha75

Post by Loganalpha75 » 23 Jun 2022, 02:24

Magnus wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 23:47
I guess I hadn't learned my lesson yet, because I found it worse than I was expecting. I dunno why, maybe I thought they'd bring the big creative guns out for this show given how big of a deal it was to get McGregor and Christiansen back, but alas, this was much more BoBF than the Mandolorian. The whole thing felt very rushed, almost as if they were on some deadline once they got the two big leads signed.

There were some good moments here and there... interspersed with a lot of dumb moments. Quite a lot of the action-directing was pretty bad (starting with the Leia chase in the forest, to pretty much everything in Episode 2...) A lot of the sets looked really cheap (worst of all is probably the random industrial sand-pit during the confrontation in Episode 3). Reva's character had a lot of potential but seemed pretty wasted. Not sure if the actress is wooden or she was just given bad direction/writing, though I'd lean towards the latter given all the other weaknesses in the show. (I thought young Leia was great though.)

And I also was disappointed with the idea of having Obi-Wan and Vader meet up and duel in general - they try to make it plausible but I still think the most straightforward interpretation of their meeting in ANH is that they haven't seen each other since ROTS. The whole thing kinda feels like fanfic. And people can debate that until they're blue in the face, but honestly, I think it's just indicative of Disney's handling of Star Wars in general - they really do seem to just see it as a money-printing license, which requires them to just keep shipping product, and the easiest stuff to get people interested in is pre-existing characters. But constantly revisiting the same old OT characters is very limiting and dull. There's probably a reason the best thing they've made so far is the Mandalorian, an all-new character who was pretty unconnected, especially in the first season.
I just watched and I don't have much to comment on other than I totally agree with what you said that this was just a money grab. We get nothing but watered down Star Wars from Disney.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 23 Jun 2022, 04:52

I actually quite liked this - yes there's some continuity problems and other things to quibble about but here's what I liked:
Spoiler: show
I think the story was actually quite powerful in many ways. For one thing I know there was quite a stink about the Third Sister and her being hated for being so unlikeable. Well those people really missed the point. She was in fact, written to be unlikable. The whole point was to sell the moment where she redeemed herself. When she showed Luke mercy, it showed how anyone can come back from their tragic past. I thought this was a very well planned out turn for her character.

As to the final Obi Wan/Vader fight. It went on a little long, but what I really liked is that Obi Wan unequivocally defeated Vader and still showed him mercy and offered his apology for his whole role in how things turned out. This gave it a bit of a Lord of the Rings spin. Obi Wan conceivably could have killed Vader here, and spared the galaxy a good deal of misery. But we know that in doing so, he would not have eliminated the REAL threat of the Emperor. The Emperor would have eventually found a new apprentice, possibly one even worse than Vader. And then of course we all remember that Vader really WAS the Chosen one, as he was the one to defeat the Emperor once and for all. It reminded me of Lord of the Rings "T'was mercy that stayed Bilbo's hand. Who knows what part [Gollum] may yet have to play".
Mando is still the best Star Wars show, but this a far sight better than Boba Fett. I enjoyed my time watching it quite a bit.
Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jun 2022, 15:11

Disney watered down Star Wars? That’s a stretch…Disney never made the Christmas special I know that much lol
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 23 Jun 2022, 16:47

I've only seen snippets of the holiday special, but I'd never call it watered down. It's bold and full of flavor, just not the flavor everyone wants.

Conversely, aside from (some of) the first season of Mandalorian, most of the recent Disney offerings are unsurprising jaunts through mediocrity, capstoned by "big" guest appearances and continuity nods. I'd much rather watch an interesting failure than dull water treading. It's why I actually really enjoyed The Last Jedi even if I was pretty bored by the rest of what Disney has done.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jun 2022, 17:27

Jindianajonz wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:47
I've only seen snippets of the holiday special, but I'd never call it watered down. It's bold and full of flavor, just not the flavor everyone wants.

Conversely, aside from (some of) the first season of Mandalorian, most of the recent Disney offerings are unsurprising jaunts through mediocrity, capstoned by "big" guest appearances and continuity nods. I'd much rather watch an interesting failure than dull water treading. It's why I actually really enjoyed The Last Jedi even if I was pretty bored by the rest of what Disney has done.
It’s “watered down” in terms of it was a hocky holiday special and not the I guess “seriousness” of the Star Wars original trilogy.

I guess it depends on what you consider what Disney has done.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 23 Jun 2022, 18:09

I was pretty "Meh" on the show in the first episodes. I just REALLY hate midquel shows. Any time you start putting something between two things you are going to have continuity issues are be forced to make decisions that make no sense. The Prequel trilogy takes place far enough away from the Original trilogy that there aren't many continuity errors. Really, the continuity isn't THAT BAD in Obi-Wan but it is absolutely stupid that he did not kill Vader when he had the opportunity. Vader, at this point, is a child killer. He's killed MANY more people besides that. It just doesn't make any sense that Obi-Wan is like "Oh, my friend is dead. There's only you, Darth. Welp, see you later." and he walks away. He knows what Vader will do. He knows more lives will be lost.

This fight should have ended with Vader burying him and Obi-Wan finding himself to break free. We didn't need an excuse for why George Lucas originally had Vader killing Anakin and that's why Obi-Wan tells Luke that Vader killed his father. Obi-Wan wins by losing. He's accomplished his goal in helping the people get away. He can be proud of this. It also would have probably tied in better to why Obi-Wan gives up in ANH. He's already lost to Vader once before in that scenario. He knows all he can do is hold him off to help them escape.

Anyways, I just wrote two paragraphs of why I disliked this. Now let me say that basically from episodes 3 - 6 this was an absolute JOY to watch. I loved seeing Ewan back in the role. I loved seeing Hayden return and get to watch him perform with GOOD writing. I think Reva was better than people give her credit for even if her writing was a bit rough at times. I can't wait to see more of her. I would not complain if we got a Season 2. There's so many parts of Obi-Wan's story I want to know more of.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 23 Jun 2022, 18:51

tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 18:09
I just REALLY hate midquel shows.
I think Rebels handled it best: Focus on brand new characters outside the movies so that there's no set end state that you need to end up at. The interactions with established characters were pretty minor, aside from Ahsoka who hadn't had her future depicted yet. Pulling in people like Admiral Thrawn who have been written out continuity but still have a big following is a great way to offer fan service while still maintaining an element of surprise.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 23 Jun 2022, 19:34

I guess this is where I find myself disagreeing with a lot of people - I find Mandalorian to be pretty boring and cash-grabby a lot of the times, with no clear overarching plot to be interested in and characters that come in and out with little development. Do I watch it? Yes. Grogu is adorable and I really like the cast for the most part, and the second season was far superior to the first. BUT. I dunno. Obi Wan felt like it had an emotional arc for the character, redeemed some of the Prequel Trilogy actors, established that Owen and Beru actually felt that Luke was their son, and gave me an entire story of young Leia, who is pretty much the main character I care about in Star Wars anyway. It also felt a lot like the prequels (in good ways) to me. I don't want a second season myself, mainly because I think the story is done, but I'd love to see more Reva in the future and really want an animated Leia show.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 23 Jun 2022, 19:58

I'm torn. I'm so sick of the Skywalker Saga, but there are parts I want to know more about. I want to know where Obi-Wan is going now. I want to see Luke and Leia grow up. I want to know more about Reva. All of that requires staying in this tiny ass slice of time in a galaxy that has thousands of years of history. I want more High Republic era if we aren't getting Old Republic. I want Post Ep9 stuff as well.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

P-90

Post by P-90 » 24 Jun 2022, 02:04

For me most of the Disney TV shows, both Marvel and Star Wars have been okay, not great but not bad, they tend to have at least one episode that's genuinely great, often the final, that makes the entire season worth watching.

Obi Wan was another okay show but I loved the final episode. There was some noticeably bad acting in earlier episodes by Ice Cube's son and the actress who played Reva though I assume the latter was due to bad direction not the fault of the actress because she didn't stand out as that bad in the final. Though I have little interest in the character going forward that doesn't mean I wouldn't watch something in which she appeared in the future.
I was actually hoping we'd see more of Tala (Indira Varma) and I think the actress who played Leia did a great job for someone so young.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'