Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Spider-Man: No Way Home

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
das_boot

Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home

Post by das_boot » 09 Jan 2022, 19:10

Cable wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 17:30
It has now passed Titanic to pull into the sixth highest grossing movie in US history.

Everyone at Warner Bros who thought the Matrix should be released at the same time as Spider-Man should probably be fired.
Oh wow. I mean… honestly at this point if you saw a Marvel movie on the same opening weekend as one of your huge movies of the year, you’d JUST pull it, right?

@EMP, thank you for agreeing with my correctness, I have several many thoughts on this matter.
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Jan 2022, 01:42

I would've liked to see Peter dealing more with his life being ruined, but I'm happy we got the film we did regardless. This was such a good movie.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jan 2022, 08:15

tokenBG1009 wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 01:42
I would've liked to see Peter dealing more with his life being ruined, but I'm happy we got the film we did regardless. This was such a good movie.
THIS.

I’ve said that it should be split into two movies and this would have been the part for me.

Have the first movie be almost entirely about Peter dealing with the aftermath of being outed. Have Aunt May actually arrested and held for child endangerment, and Happy for the Stark tech stuff. Have their be some implication that the surviving Avengers could also be charged for this. Have a group of low-level street thugs tell him they found him on social media and they know where he lives, his school, his friends… have MJ get fired from her job, have Ned banned from being able to see him, have him made to do his school work at home and away from his friends. Have Daredevil show up to tell him that May’s gone missing from jail and he realises his entire support network has been abducted. Introduce Arcade as a former minion of Mysterio, Daredevil brings in Luke and Jessica to help (which forms the narrative for Peter that there are other ways to be an experienced hero other than being an Avenger). Murderworld could be some total 90’s neon nightmare and I would live. Obviously everyone’s rescued but he has to watch Happy and May go back to jail, MJ and Ned try to reassure him but it’s kind of lacklustre and he can see the effect he’s having on their lives (maybe they’re injured, like a broken arm or something, just to hammer home that he really cannot always guarantee their safety). THEN end with the MIT rejection, Peter going to Strange and the spell going awry, and him going after MIT lady and cut the movie just at the point that Doc Ock arrives.

Movie two plays out kind of the same from there, but instead of telling us that Tobey-Man is a sad loner estranged from MJ, show us! Instead of telling us that Garfield-Man is angrier and isn’t pulling his punches, show us! Like, ten minute vignettes into their actual lives as a flashback once they’re pulled into the MCU. Have Happy and May bailed out by Pepper, and have more May/Norman scenes to really drive home the fact that she feels compassion for him and build a relationship to make THAT scene even more powerful. Obvi MJ and Ned see this as an excuse to help out to be able to clear Peter’s name and their lives therefore go back to normal too so they’re defiant teens and join them or whatever. Have it play out as it did in this movie just… I dunno. I feel like two movies would have made more impact.
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 27 Jan 2022, 14:12

After watching the film for the first time, I liked it but felt it was really sad as the Holland Spiderman although trying to do the right thing ended up losing everything. I Feel the story drew inspiration from the Spiderman one more day/brand new day storyline which they managed to make a decent movie out of.

However although I do agree would have liked to see more of Toby/Garfield Spiderman universe maybe see them fighting new villains or something. it just seemed odd to me that Toby was thinking about the Goblin serum? is there a new Goblin about his universe?

The main plot of story itself didn't really make much sense as when the villains return to there own universe/timelines won't they all die anyway? Assume they were from before they died in the older movies? I think Banner Hulk in Avengers Endgame tried to explain they created new timelines when they returned?

Cable

Post by Cable » 05 May 2022, 11:06

While Marvel and Warner Bros often bow down to Chinese censorship demands, lets give three cheers to Sony for choosing principle over profit and refusing.
Best Comics of Week 18

X-titles: Marauders #2 by Steve Orlando (1) and Eleonora Carlini (1)
Non-X titles: Ben Reilly Spider-Man #4 by J.M. DeMatteis (1) and David Baldeon (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 May 2022, 12:56

Marvel has refused to remove gay scenes from the Eternals and, reportedly, Doctor Strange 2.

Also, how in the hell would Sony even manage to remove the Statue of Liberty from the movie? Make it a giant statue of Homer Simpson? That was the stupidest demand ever.
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 May 2022, 13:06

I’m shocked tbh since Disney isn’t very gay friendly.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 May 2022, 14:22

Blackcyclops wrote:
05 May 2022, 13:06
I’m shocked tbh since Disney isn’t very gay friendly.
Really? I thought they were a very pro LGB company. Certainly as an employer I thought they were highly rated.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 06 May 2022, 16:10

As a film company, they've been very beholden to the Chinese market in recent history who has stomped its feet alot about gay representation lately. It's only been very recently (when movies have shown to make the kind of money Disney wants without the Chinese market) that Disney has had any sort of backbone about censoring the gay out of its films.

It's a very interesting problem. Mostly because, despite how huge the movie-going Chinese audience is, China itself takes somewhere around two thirds of its box office, leaving non-Chinese filmmakers getting very little profit from that section of the market. Even if the movie doesn't actually make nearly as much money there, though, having those kinds of numbers is really good to put on the stat sheet for investors.

At this point, with Sony making 2 billion without China, I think we're about to get some annotations on the top blockbuster lists: with China and without China.
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 06 May 2022, 18:16

Oh yeah, I know that, but it looked as if BC was saying Disney didn't like gay people, rather than that they are actively pushing for inclusion in their properties albeit also adapting content to (what I would consider backward) local sensibilities.

I mean I'm sure I read somewhere that Disney were super progressive in terms of their introduction of spousal rights for their LGB employees and other were light years (drumroll?) ahead of other large firms at the time.

So I guess I was asking if Disney aren't gay friendly, what's that in comparison to?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 May 2022, 21:21

Disney as a company got A LOT of heat when it came out that they'd backed basically everyone in the Florida legislature that supported the "Don't Say Gay" bill. It's one of those "The company sucks, but the people who work there are very progressive" kind of things. Which is generally the theme behind most megacorps in America.

I also don't completely commend them for standing up to China at this point considering, as was said, they've hit the point they don't NEED the Chinese market's money anymore. China hasn't released an MCU movie since Far From Home. They don't like Simu Liu or Chloe Zhao. Now the... Statue of Liberty being a problem in No Way Home?

Granted, I'm happy they are standing up to China. I just don't give full marks when it's only happening after they realized "Wait, we still make dump trucks full of money without them?"
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 May 2022, 23:59

Also, while the Marvel side of things has had alot more success with progress, the Disney side of things has been far less progressive…
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly