Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Eternals

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Cable

Re: Eternals

Post by Cable » 14 Jan 2022, 03:57

Never saw this in theaters so now watched it on Disney Plus. According to critic scores this is the worst MCU movie, and I have to say I agree with that. It's not a bad movie, but it is also not a very good one.
Best Comics of Week 2

X-titles: X-Men Legends #10 by Fabian Nicieza (1) and Dan Jurgens (1)
Non-X titles: Fantastic Four #39 by Dan Slott (1) and Francesco Manna (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Jan 2022, 05:24

Cable wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 03:57
Never saw this in theaters so now watched it on Disney Plus. According to critic scores this is the worst MCU movie, and I have to say I agree with that. It's not a bad movie, but it is also not a very good one.
It felt a bit like an old X-Men movie to me, which like Cable said, is fine, but its also a formula that's aged a bit.
Defenders Draft: Hulk | Scarlet Witch |Colossus | Valkyrie | She-Hulk | Iron Fist |
The Villain: Xemnu

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 14 Jan 2022, 16:14

Definitely the worst MCU movie. They said in the credits that they'll return, but I'm not particularly looking forward to it. I was bored the entire time I was watching the film. I got more out of the end-credits scenes than I did the entire movie - I hope we don't see much of the Eternals in the MCU moving forward.
he / him

📖: Morrison's New X-Men | DnA's Cosmic Saga | Hickman's New/Avengers & Secret Wars
📺: Guardians | Black Panther | Ragnarok | Infinity War/Endgame | WandaVision | Loki | No Way Home

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 14 Jan 2022, 16:44

Its amazing how subjective taste is, because i was completely entertained in this movie, the characters, the powers, the locations, it gave me a different story than the one in the last many Marvel movies. It is one of my favorite ones for sure.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 14 Jan 2022, 19:25

It wasn't the worst but it wasn't exactly great either, it was probably too long for a movie about a group that weren't already established in the franchise. There are a few MCU movies which I have no interest in anymore, but I would watch this again, even if it's just once. Saying that, I'm more interested in whether we'll see Black Knight at some point than I am about seeing more of the Eternals.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 Jan 2022, 03:02

I put it pretty firmly in the middle of the pack beating out all the "bad" MCU movies as well as the first Thor, Guardians 2, and The First Avenger.

I thought the character work in it was pretty great and I'd like to see most of them, especially Phastos and Makkari, make a come back. Makkari and Druig had a better romance than... basically every other couple in the MCU. Makkari also had far superior superspeed to the DCEU's speedsters.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Jan 2022, 13:31

tokenBG1009 wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 03:02

Makkari and Druig had a better romance than... basically every other couple in the MCU.
???
Their romance was shoehorned into the last half hour. It was like the writers realized they forgot to give Makkari characterization and so threw her into a pairing to hope we would care. The other characters all acted surprised. For good reason! Makkari and Druig's on-screen relationship consists entirely of a couple brief hugs.
Best Comics of Week 2

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2022, 13:32

I can’t hate it because Serai and Ikarus had sex and imagining those two beautiful people having sex was incredibly hot lol…
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 15 Jan 2022, 16:06

I definitely wouldn't call it the worst MCU film. Not even in the bottom 3 or 5.

I do think it didn't really stay with me, save for the beauty of it(the shots, THE CAST, oh the cast was sooooo hot), and the Makkari and Ikarus fight, which was IMO, one of the MCUs coolest powered fight scenes.

It's funny that Anti-body liked the end credit scenes because I thought the mid-credit scenes was one of the most WTF and outplaced scenes in all of the MCU. It was so tonally jarring and I didn't know that was Harry Styles, so I was just confused...It also fills me with dread about what they might do with Thanos.

I didn't appreciate the Dane end credit scene until I heard who the voice was. Now I love it. I just don't think Kit Harrington, pretty as he is, can carry a film, so hopefully he'll just be part of a team film. I mean, he had more personality in his few scenes in this movie then the entirety of Game of Thrones.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jan 2022, 16:47

This was hands down the best shot MCU film…

And definitely agree about that fight…it’s actually the best Flash vs Superman we’ve gotten maybe ever outside of comics
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 Jan 2022, 19:50

Cable wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 13:31
tokenBG1009 wrote:

Makkari and Druig had a better romance than... basically every other couple in the MCU.
???
Their romance was shoehorned into the last half hour. It was like the writers realized they forgot to give Makkari characterization and so threw her into a pairing to hope we would care. The other characters all acted surprised. For good reason! Makkari and Druig's on-screen relationship consists entirely of a couple brief hugs.
What? Their relationship was built up throughout the movie. It just wasn't front and center.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 16 Jan 2022, 18:16

XtremeOne1 wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 16:06
It's funny that Anti-body liked the end credit scenes because I thought the mid-credit scenes was one of the most WTF and outplaced scenes in all of the MCU. It was so tonally jarring and I didn't know that was Harry Styles, so I was just confused...It also fills me with dread about what they might do with Thanos.

I didn't appreciate the Dane end credit scene until I heard who the voice was. Now I love it. I just don't think Kit Harrington, pretty as he is, can carry a film, so hopefully he'll just be part of a team film. I mean, he had more personality in his few scenes in this movie then the entirety of Game of Thrones.
That's true about the mid-credits scene - I should have been more clear: Harry Styles as Starfox (or Starfox even showing up at all) was VERY WTF and bonkers, true. In truth, I was ECSTATIC to see Pip The Troll make his MCU debut lolol. And as for the scene with Dane, I'd assumed it was Blade who'd spoken off-screen, which further elated me. I hear you on Kit Harrington not being able to carry a movie, but I'm thinking they'll bring him into the supernatural/horror side that they seem to be developing. Maybe we'll see him in Blade, maybe in Moon Knight, who knows. But 13 year old me is SO excited they're seemingly building up to a version of the Midnight Sons. :D
he / him

📖: Morrison's New X-Men | DnA's Cosmic Saga | Hickman's New/Avengers & Secret Wars
📺: Guardians | Black Panther | Ragnarok | Infinity War/Endgame | WandaVision | Loki | No Way Home

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 16 Jan 2022, 19:42

I thought with Blade and Dane both being British, it was working towards an MI:13 rather than Black Knight being considered for Midnight Sons. There's been fan natterings (maybe misplaced) of a Captain Britain for the MCU for a little while, and there's a wealth of great British characters they could adapt, some of which of course have very strong links to the mutant world (Wisdom, Psylocke).

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 17 Jan 2022, 13:58

tokenBG1009 wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 19:50
Cable wrote:
tokenBG1009 wrote:

???
What? Their relationship was built up throughout the movie. It just wasn't front and center.

Yeah, it was clear that there was something there with their interactions in Babylon.

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Jan 2022, 15:28

sambadaemon wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 13:58
tokenBG1009 wrote:
Cable wrote:

???

Yeah, it was clear that there was something there with their interactions in Babylon.
They shared some glances. If the best Marvel romance is light flirtation followed by apparently thousands of years of no contact followed by an embrace, then dear god the bar is low lol.

As I suspected their relationship WAS just thrown in at the last second, not even being in the script.
Best Comics of Week 2

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 18 Jan 2022, 00:12

Cable wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 15:28
sambadaemon wrote:
tokenBG1009 wrote:

They shared some glances. If the best Marvel romance is light flirtation followed by apparently thousands of years of no contact followed by an embrace, then dear god the bar is low lol.

As I suspected their relationship WAS just thrown in at the last second, not even being in the script.
I admit I was being hyperbolic, but the fact their romance was added because of how strong the chemistry was between the two of them only helps my argument. They worked so well together a romance just worked for the characters. Granted, the bar IS low because romance in the MCU has never been all that impressive. Steve/Sharon, Peter/MJ, Loki/Himself, and... yeah. I was never impressed by Tony/Pepper, Bruce/Betty (lol), Bruce/Natasha (ew), Star Lord/Gamora, Thor/Jane, Strange/Christine... I could go on for days honestly. When all your romance plots are "meh" it doesn't take a lot to rise above the bar.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Jan 2022, 11:53

Their improvised flirting was much more compelling than the scripted Sersi/Ikaris romance.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 19 Jan 2022, 20:14

Upon a second watch I liked it less. Maybe it was just better on the big screen? Still like all the characters and the design of the movie. Unfortunate though that Sersi and Ikaris had very little if any chemistry or personality, but I think Jolie did an excellent job bringing a lot of depth to Thena. I hate Sprite's quick reversal and easy forgiveness, but I did find that storyline compelling. Interested to see where the second film takes them.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » Yesterday, 03:46

tokenBG1009 wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 00:12
Cable wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 15:28
sambadaemon wrote:

I admit I was being hyperbolic, but the fact their romance was added because of how strong the chemistry was between the two of them only helps my argument. They worked so well together a romance just worked for the characters. Granted, the bar IS low because romance in the MCU has never been all that impressive. Steve/Sharon, Peter/MJ, Loki/Himself, and... yeah. I was never impressed by Tony/Pepper, Bruce/Betty (lol), Bruce/Natasha (ew), Star Lord/Gamora, Thor/Jane, Strange/Christine... I could go on for days honestly. When all your romance plots are "meh" it doesn't take a lot to rise above the bar.
On paper Tony/Pepper aren't a great relationship but the chemistry between RDJ and Gwenyth Paltrow is pretty next level, and Paltrow definitely elevated the rather thankless Pepper role(and I say that as someone who isn't even a big Paltrow). And I like Star Lord/Gamora....haha.

But yeah, despite how beautiful they both are, I'd say Ikaris and Sersi were kinda bland in terms of a relationship. And dear God are they beautiful...but I prefer Makkari and Druig and really hope they have a more central role in the next Eternals film and in the MCU as a whole. They both popped right off the screen as individuals in their scenes, and again Makkari is my favorite speedster ever after that awesome power display.

Individual I liked every character save for Sprite(as EMP said, her heel turn and forgiveness was...something else but overall her character was just bleh and annoying the entire time). I like Sersi, I like Thena, I like them all...And we never got to see Richard Madden shirtless, so he has to come back for at least that...

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » Yesterday, 19:58

I actually thought Tony and Pepper was pretty sweet. It wasn't "sexy" warmth, it was snuggle under a blanket together warmth. I think it worked in a way as IM established Tony right from early on as someone not exactly shy about putting it about but Pepper was the loyal consistent part of his life so when he did grow up and mature, settle down, it felt right, particularly after the trauma of IW. And I generally think Paltrow is insufferable as a person, so it's not like I'm predisposed to enjoy her work)

Sersi and Ikaris had the sex, but it was so awkward. As attractive as both of them are, it actually just felt cringe given how icy the pair of them were.
There was no chemistry there at all. There was no lust, nor genuine (convincing) love it just happened.

(I'm also in the pro Quill/Gamora camp - again, that "feels" sexier than Sersi / Ikaris, not least it has Quill trying to be all Star-Lordy and coming across as totally head over heels punch drunk in love. Everything that neither Sersi or Ikaris were, basically...)